Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Tights? Boots?Modesty when it's cold Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 23 2006 at 11:19pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Elizabeth wrote:

Land's End knit skirts are my favorite.

These look really simple to sew. Can any of you (Michele?) suggest patterns that are very similar to these skirts and would give the same look if I decided to make some knit long skirts at some point?

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 24 2006 at 1:48am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

Stacy, what about split skirts? Did we call them gauchos at one time? I think they were worn earlier by women who rode horses.

I do like to wear split skirts. They are not always easy to find, but are also not too difficult to sew. A friend made one for me.
I began wearing skirts quite regularly in September after my dh told me, that I look much better in a skirt or dress. I only have one pair of blue jeans and 3 pairs of nice pants which are getting musty in my wardrobe. I just pass them over every morning, it's as if I would feel embarrassed to wear them! There are very few moms who wear skirts or dresses here in my town, except for the muslim women with the headcoverings (but they also wear pants). Not even to church. No one has said anything to me about it, but I am a "foreigner" anyway, therefore not expected to conform.

It is too bad that you are allergic to wool Elizabeth. Is it just sheep wool or all kinds ? Cashmere? As mentioned before, silk is a very comfortable alternative for keeping warm.

Bridget - I am just a smidgen shorter than you. I am 5'11"1/2.
Here in northern Germany I see many tall women. Even taller than myself and very attractive, alas all in pants.   You wonder where they get pants long enough????

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Nov 24 2006 at 7:38am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

St. Ann wrote:

It is too bad that you are allergic to wool Elizabeth. Is it just sheep wool or all kinds ? Cashmere? As mentioned before, silk is a very comfortable alternative for keeping warm.

I can wear cashmere, but I can't really afford it . Looking into all things silk...

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 24 2006 at 7:58am | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

stacykay wrote:
Not being a golfer, I don't know how difficult it would make it?

Physically, I think it would be no problem golfing in a skirt. I doubt the skirt would get in the way. My problem would be looking so out of place. I've never seen a long skirted golfer around here since I started golfing. It's mostly long shorts, short shorts or short skorts.

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 24 2006 at 8:16am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

BrendaPeter wrote:
Hi Michele,

Is there a pattern you like to use to make slips? I've never seen flannel-lined satin but I'm hoping I can find some.

I make my slips bias cut and I don't use a pattern (really it isn't necessary). Measure around your waist and hips add seam allowances and cut an a-line slip of the bias (diagonal). It will hug your figure (which I prefer for a flannel backed satin - it's warmer) and still give you stretch (that's why you cut it on the bias).

I buy my flannel backed satin at JoAnn fabrics. They sell it on their site too but I always wait until it's on sale in the store and/or I have a coupon. Do you have a JoAnn's near you? Hancock's may carry it too.

God bless!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 24 2006 at 8:25am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

teachingmom wrote:
Elizabeth wrote:

Land's End knit skirts are my favorite.

These look really simple to sew. Can any of you (Michele?) suggest patterns that are very similar to these skirts and would give the same look if I decided to make some knit long skirts at some point?

Irene,

I would check Kwik Sew for a similar pattern or really any of the pattern companies.

McCall's patterns are $1.99 at JoAnn's thru Dec. 1st and Vogue patterns are $3.99. I haven't looked but I'm sure you could find something similar to the LE skirts.

God bless!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 24 2006 at 10:12am | IP Logged Quote Ruth

What sort of long underwear or leggings do you all wear?
Something like this , this , or this ? Maybe I'm looking for the wrong thing. I need help. Thanks.

God bless. Ruth

mom to 7 miracles

My family blog

Loreto Rosaries
Back to Top View Ruth's Profile Search for other posts by Ruth Visit Ruth's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 24 2006 at 12:21pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

MicheleQ wrote:
Elizabeth wrote:
These are mid calf, too

Ha! Those are the ones I ordered 3 days ago (you are all such a bad influence!). Seriously I have been looking for boots like those so I hope they are a good fit (I have a high instep and a lot of times can't stand to wear boots).

They arrived today and I have them on. They are really very nice and will look good with my skirts this winter. So far they seem comfortable enough on my instep - but they are soft leather so I'm sure I can stretch them a bit if needed. BTW, if you order these, order the regular calf size unless you really have large calves because I got regular and they are not even snug - in fact they fit over my jeans with room to spare.

God bless,

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 24 2006 at 7:42pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I went to all black footwear (if it's something that I need socks with). I found it drove me nuts trying to match shoes and socks and outfits.

Oh and the heavier fabrics.. like denim.. that might roll at the hem some.. or get funky crinkles or such.. much easier than ironing.. is to either hang dry the whole thing.. or to dry it.. but then wet down the problem spots and let those hang dry.. you finger smooth them and they'll lay MUCH nicer and be done faster than trying to iron them flat.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 24 2006 at 7:53pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

MicheleQ wrote:
MicheleQ wrote:
Elizabeth wrote:
These are mid calf, too
Ha! Those are the ones I ordered 3 days ago (you are all such a bad influence!). Seriously I have been looking for boots like those so I hope they are a good fit (I have a high instep and a lot of times can't stand to wear boots).
They arrived today and I have them on. They are really very nice and will look good with my skirts this winter. So far they seem comfortable enough on my instep - but they are soft leather so I'm sure I can stretch them a bit if needed. BTW, if you order these, order the regular calf size unless you really have large calves because I got regular and they are not even snug - in fact they fit over my jeans with room to spare.

Well they passed the all day test with flying colors. In fact I felt like they got more comfortable as the day went on. Definitely keepers.

They aren't TOO warm either (I can't stand boots that make my feet sweat) and yet it would be easy to pair warm socks with them for extended outdoor wear.

2 thumbs up!

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 25 2006 at 7:38am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

Ruth, I wear something similar to the third example. I wear them over my cotton stockings and just pull them up to under my knee, but you could wear them with knee socks over them without the stockings. I also have woolen underwear which are not quite knee length, which I also wear over my stockings. If you go for pure wool you might want to consider the itch factor(if you don't wear stockings underneath)...Silk and wool mix is the best - no itch there.

Hope that helps.

Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 25 2006 at 7:43am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

burneweb wrote:
What sort of long underwear or leggings do you all wear?
Something like this , this , or this ? Maybe I'm looking for the wrong thing. I need help. Thanks.

God bless. Ruth

Sorry, I got mixed up a bit while quoting!

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 25 2006 at 7:23pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

MicheleQ wrote:
JennGM wrote:
I always buy black shoes to go with black and grey. The only thing that I don't like black with is navy. Black is classy, dresses up and down and probably a better investment.

I agree. I like brown but black goes with more. I ordered the boots in black. But then I did buy some really cool highish heel slip on brown shoes at Kohl's last week.

I stopped by yesterday too (I had to go to the mall because I need a . . . umm . . .Cinnabon ) and they had some nice long skirts on sale but not on sale enough for me at $29.99. Plus they were out of my size.

I stopped by CB this past Wednesday (day before Thanksgiving) and not only did they have sale items for down to $9.99, they had 20% off everything in the store! I bought quite a bit. I even updated my blouses, sweaters, turtles, ...! And the average price was around $13.00 per item.

Isn't it funny, Jenn, that I pictured you as quite tall (even 5'9ish)? As for shoes/boots, I wear denim a lot and prefer brown with denim. I don't wear blue much otherwise.

God bless,

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 25 2006 at 7:29pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

Cheryl wrote:
As I gracefully (picture a graceful mermaid) hopped up into my dh's Jeep Cherokee,

This cracks me up! Please share the image I couldn't suppress of me, enormously pregnant with #1 (I blew up like a balloon even though I *thought* I was doing all the right things) desperately trying to slide into a Toyota 4Runner with no running boards. It was comical. However, I didn't look like a graceful mermaid. I'd say I looked more like a beached whale.

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 25 2006 at 7:58pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

Cheryl wrote:
[It's mostly long shorts, short shorts or short skorts.

I'm about 5'5". Long shorts dwarf me. Short shorts? Ewwww! Skorts is a better option, but even during summer, as far as pants go, I wear loose-fitting capris. If I run, which I do rarely anymore (and it's more of a jog these days), I *might* wear bike shorts with one of my hubby's long T-shirts to cover my bottom but still the shorts peek out under the shirt. I think I'm down to 4 pairs of shorts, total.

My issue with wearing anything is my waist. Used to be 24" in diameter. Then I had 7 children. Not anymore. Maybe someday. I am losing centimeters as I type.

I thought you ladies would find this discussion I had with my husband funny. I told him that I had 40 e-mails all on the same topic. He said, "And so what did you solve by doing that?" I told him it was just a fun discussion. He said, "But you have to take all this time away from your family to read all these e-mails and respond ... and what did you solve?" It's textbook Women are from Venus Men are from Mars stuff. Moms don't really need downtime, do they?!?

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 25 2006 at 10:19pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Tina P. wrote:
I thought you ladies would find this discussion I had with my husband funny. I told him that I had 40 e-mails all on the same topic. He said, "And so what did you solve by doing that?" I told him it was just a fun discussion. He said, "But you have to take all this time away from your family to read all these e-mails and respond ... and what did you solve?" It's textbook Women are from Venus Men are from Mars stuff. Moms don't really need downtime, do they?!?

Tina
So funny and so male.    I have had lots of conversations with my dh like that. I remember a classic when we were new parents, dh arrived home, I cried about what a lousy day I had with the baby and he starts giving my solutions!! I tell him to stop giving solutions and to just listen and he asks why tell him unless I want solutions. I just wanted him to listen, men want to slay dragons.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 26 2006 at 10:27am | IP Logged Quote amyable

With all the talk of L.L. Bean items, I took a look at the 2006 Holiday and Women's catalogs while at my MILs this holiday weekend. I was dismayed - only one skirt in one, and two in the other. None on the models, and no dresses! *I* know I can just look online, but I know many people that can't/won't shop that way. I think L.L. Bean will be getting an email once I wade though our 14 loads of laundry, lol...

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 26 2006 at 12:02pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Tina P. wrote:
Isn't it funny, Jenn, that I pictured you as quite tall (even 5'9ish)? As for shoes/boots, I wear denim a lot and prefer brown with denim. I don't wear blue much otherwise.

That is funny. I'm anything but...although I'm one of the tallest girls in our family (grandmother, mother, sisters, aunts, cousins, too). I tower at my 5'2 1/2"...gotta remember that 1/2"!

My dh's comment about not wearing denim should probably be explained that I never wear denim anyway. I think I haven't owned denim jeans in 15 years...I'm a khaki type of gal. Dh and I think casual means khakis, whether it's in the shape of slacks, shorts or skirts. So denim would be outside my normal choice anyway, and we both aren't the denim type -- that isn't to say that I don't like it on other people. It just doesn't suit me!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 26 2006 at 7:29pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

MicheleQ wrote:

I make my slips bias cut and I don't use a pattern (really it isn't necessary). Measure around your waist and hips add seam allowances and cut an a-line slip of the bias (diagonal). It will hug your figure (which I prefer for a flannel backed satin - it's warmer) and still give you stretch (that's why you cut it on the bias).

Thanks Michele, you are a sweetheart! We do have a JoAnn's so hopefully I'll find some fabric there.

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 26 2006 at 8:48pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

I'm not sure I even know how to begin all the questions I have (and some of them are probably a little odd!), but here goes...

How do you get over thinking of dresses as "dress" clothes? At the end of the day I am covered in smushed up food from baby fingers, mud, you name it. My 7 yo dd -- who tends to teach me a little in these things -- recently told me that she thought she wanted to wear more dresses. So I've managed to get her one play dress, but every time she puts it on, I want to say, "Don't do that! You'll get your dress dirty! Change your clothes before you go outside!"

I also have a thought process that goes like this: I have rarely worn dresses in the past. (I mean, really rarely. I was an incredible tomboy growing up, too.) If I start wearing dresses now, then people will notice, and they will say something about it, and I'll have to explain it to my relatives, and my husband will make a big deal about it, and I'll feel tremendously embarassed and will want to run back to my jeans just to hide.

The truth is I'm having a harder and harder time getting jeans to fit and be comfortable anyway.
Since having 2 C-sections and twins, I have lumps in all the wrong places. I'm barely back to my prepregnancy weight, which was about 30 lbs overweight. I'm *barely* 5'3", and I am totally clueless about skirt fashion. I suppose I am too vain, but I tried on a denim skirt a while back and nearly cried, it made me look so *fat*. I also like warm, snuggly fabrics, but am worried that "knits" will appear immodest on me? (Does this make any sense at all? I'm afraid I'm babbling.)

I had a (sort of) discussion with my dh tonight on this topic. Of course he wouldn't tell me whether he thought skirts or pants would be better for *me*, but when I asked him what he would prefer our daughter to wear as a teenager, he said, "Probably a dress. A really baggy, flowing dress with lots and lots of fabric."

Which probably cuts to the heart of the matter, and everything else is just me stalling.

--Angela
Mom to 3+2
Three Plus Two
Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 17 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version