Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Tights? Boots?Modesty when it's cold Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
amiefriedl
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 21 2006 at 4:05pm | IP Logged Quote amiefriedl

Helen wrote:

What about wearing the jeans under a skirt? The friars wear clothes under their habits.

This is a great idea! Our pro rector, (I think this is what I'm supposed to call him - our church is an Oratory not a parish) wears the long cassock and on Sundays when he comes over to visit for the day, wears jeans under his cassock. He rolls them up and still wears his black dress socks and fancy black shoes.

He also has a lot of great ideas about the finer things in life and how they give glory to God. I've reconsidered my paper plates on holidays and even my everyday paper napkins. We've gone to cloth only. These improvements do take time, but it is very worth it.

Less is more. Less things, that are of better quality, do give more glory to God. Okay, I'm done now!

Back to Top View amiefriedl's Profile Search for other posts by amiefriedl Visit amiefriedl's Homepage

amiefriedl
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 21 2006 at 4:17pm | IP Logged Quote amiefriedl

Oops, not quite done...I see Elizabeth is online at the moment!...

Elizabeth wrote:
I started over with maternity clothes this last time, because I'd given all mine away, thinking we were finished. I found skirts much more practical. One skirt really could take me from the beginning to into postpartum...

Elizabeth, it is comforting to know that when I do eventually work on my maternity wardrobe I won't necessarily be needing to replace 3 trimesters worth of clothes!

All my maternity things have come from garage sales. I shocked many a woman coming into her garage with my 3 children in tow, gathering up all her beautiful barely used maternity clothes. I feel guilty taking them. I look at her one (or two) child(ren) and say - "are you surrrre you want to sell these now?" Part of me loves to ping their conscious and part of me feels really guilty, almost like I'm enabling them to not have more.

But, (trying staying on somewhat on topic) there are not many skirts or dresses to be had that fit me. Sooo I'll be coming the internet sites if Our Lord will ever bless me with another child. (Hint, hint Lord...)

Back to good boots and tights....I would love to see some of your links for leggins though...are there any good sites for that? I'm going to do a search through some dance clothes sites I think. (And sorry for the thread hijack! This thread just struck a chord with me today!)

Back to Top View amiefriedl's Profile Search for other posts by amiefriedl Visit amiefriedl's Homepage

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 21 2006 at 5:48pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

amiefriedl wrote:
It is all a very expensive process though. I find that as each little thing in my wardrobe is spruced up that the next thing needing fixing starts to glare out. NOT to mention bringing my girl's wardrobes up to speed. But they do love it.

You're right Amie, it is somewhat expensive initially when you make the change but I've tried to buy quality things that will last a long time. I also have ALOT less clothes than I did which is great because I love to keep things simple. I mean, how many outfits does one really need? Also, I love that I don't even have to think about pants any more. I know what I like & what works so shopping is much simpler. So is getting ready to go somewhere - like out to dinner or Church. I get ready faster than my husband these days! If I were starting out again, I think I'd buy 2 denim skirts from Orvis for weekdays. I love denim as it goes with anything. In the winter, add a few turtlenecks & sweaters and you're set. For weekend wear, I would look at the Thrift stores.

I do think it's tougher dressing the girls as there's not as much available. Thank God for Lands End & the various modesty websites that pop up. Also, hand-me-downs are wonderful.

amiefriedl wrote:

(Then there IS that ironing board! I had to run out and buy starch and a new cover for the board itself. Spiritual talks on CD are THE way to go when ironing though - I spent even more $$ stocking up on good talks to listen to during the new ironing times. It has been great.

So glad you like to iron . I try to avoid it as much as possible! I wear mostly peasant & knit skirts so I'm able to get out the wrinkles by drying them on low & getting them out quickly.

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 22 2006 at 8:46am | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

Mrs.K wrote:

Cheryl, I think Our Lady is what is 'happening' to you!

I have been praying to be more like Mary, but I wasn't thinking about changing how I look, I wanted to be more patient and compassionate.

Guess what! I'm wearing a denim skirt! I went shopping last night. (My dh is on vacation, so we've been doing a lot of shopping. He bought clothes to wear to work and we did almost all of our Christmas shopping.) I bought 2 denim skirts and a moleskin black skirt. My dh wondered if the black one was practical. He was concerned about baby spit up on it, etc. It is machine washable, so we'll see. I think that skirt would be used for going out. He was actually supportive of my new purchases.

I was very pleased with the skirts, but my shoe situation is a bummer. I have two pairs of shoes. I think my super comfortable brown Eastland loafers look pretty awful with these skirts. I'm going to wear my black loafer-type shoes with this skirt today, but I think boots would look much better with the denim skirts.

So would you like to give me your opinions? Although the field boots linked at the beginning of this thread would look great, I think I would prefer an ankle boot. I like the paddock boots linked earlier, but I wonder if they would look better with a more flowing skirt. The skirts I purchased are long (down to my ankles) and straight. I thought this style or these might look better. I also like these country field boots, but would they look good with a straighter skirt? They seem to say 'pants' or 'flowy skirt' to me. Am I analyzing this too much? One more question: how do you decide between black and brown?.....or do you have both?

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Nov 22 2006 at 9:48am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Ooohhh! Cheryl asked all my pressing questions...almost. So, would the fashion police please answer her and can you tell me if these would be okay with denim and knit skirts? And can you wear brown boots with black or gray skirts?

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Nov 22 2006 at 9:55am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

These are mid calf, too

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 22 2006 at 10:31am | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

Oh this is fun! OK. I think short boots would look fine with a long, straight skirt, Cheryl. Just get tights/leggings that match the boot. BTW, I love your choices! For more ... what did you call them? ... flowy skirts, I think longer boots would be the option *I* would use. Also, I have a long, straight denim jumper (I'm sooooooo homeschooly) with which I use clogs.

I would definitely buy both brown and black. Brown goes with almost any color besides black and gray and black and gray go with anything but brown or yellow. If black goes with so much, why buy brown? IMHO, black is more dressy. Brown is definitely the color to match with denim. Also, being a brunette with olive skin, I wear brown a lot.

I hope there's still a sale on those skirts at Christopher and Banks, I haven't had a chance to get there and I want to see what's available. Then perhaps I'll order some boots as well. I welcome the chance to give away my outdated items!

Did I answer all of your questions?

PS: Cheryl, wear the moleskin one to church. Less chance for spit-up there, isn't there?

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 22 2006 at 10:58am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

I have some shorter zip side boots, and I really don't like they way they look with skirts at all. They kind of gape at the top and look funny. I have a pair of tall boots that zip and they look great, but they have a heel that is not comfortable for every day wear. I wish I had either short tie boots or tall low heel boots.   

Cheryl, you might find the long straight skirts more difficult to manuver in day to day at home with the children. I learned that some that are either more flowey or A-line (A-line are my FAV!) are easier to move about in modestly.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 22 2006 at 11:13am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Elizabeth wrote:
These are mid calf, too

Ha! Those are the ones I ordered 3 days ago (you are all such a bad influence!). Seriously I have been looking for boots like those so I hope they are a good fit (I have a high instep and a lot of times can't stand to wear boots).

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 22 2006 at 11:23am | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Elizabeth wrote:
These are mid calf, too

Wow, I like those! I was looking for a high pair with a low heel.

I had a pair of ankle boots but think they looked, well, "old lady-ish" with skirts. I think the calf height is a better look.

I think with black or grey skirts, you should wear black boots, not brown. Brown with denim or khaki would be nice. JMHO.

This is fun!
Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Nov 22 2006 at 11:41am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Rebecca wrote:
Elizabeth wrote:
These are mid calf, too

Wow, I like those! I was looking for a high pair with a low heel.

I had a pair of ankle boots but think they looked, well, "old lady-ish" with skirts. I think the calf height is a better look.

I think with black or grey skirts, you should wear black boots, not brown. Brown with denim or khaki would be nice. JMHO.

This is fun!

They don't come in my size

Mrs.K
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 22 2006 at 12:44pm | IP Logged Quote Mrs.K

BrendaPeter
wrote:
I mean, how many outfits does one really need?

Well, I'm on my third skirt of the day and it's only 1 o'clock! I'll spare you the details but I do have a 7 month old!

I agree that ironing is not feasible for everyday clothes. I, too, stick to knits and things that don't need ironing. I also second having comfortable skirts that don't make you feel like a mermaid, as my dd's call it. I like the riding skirts that LLBean has. I especially like them when they are on sale! Knits are great too for comfort and easy care.
So,how is your skirted day going, Cheryl?

My blogPondered in My Heart
Jesus,I trust in You!
Back to Top View Mrs.K's Profile Search for other posts by Mrs.K

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 22 2006 at 12:56pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I always buy black shoes to go with black and grey. The only thing that I don't like black with is navy. Black is classy, dresses up and down and probably a better investment.

I checked out Christopher Banks yesterday and was extremely disappointed. If you're a petite (like I am), the skirts are tremendously long. I had huge luck yesterday at Boscov's (a chain). Lots of 60% plus coupons gave me great success at 4 skirts for $80.

But I agree with MicheleQ that one shouldn't stress out about making skirt-wearing mandatory. There are situations where I'm just not going to ruin my stockings, shoes or skirts in the name to remain feminine. We were changing out storm windows, working outside hanging lights, a few examples. In that case it's more "prissy" and not helpful staying in the skirt.

Everything in moderation and practicality. I was at a prayer circle which discussed this, and everyone agreed that stating "never pants" is a bit extreme.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 22 2006 at 2:05pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

JennGM wrote:
I checked out Christopher Banks yesterday and was extremely disappointed. If you're a petite (like I am), the skirts are tremendously long. I had huge luck yesterday at Boscov's (a chain). Lots of 60% plus coupons gave me great success at 4 skirts for $80.

Jenn, I am sorry to hear that you did not do well at CB. I am five foot seven and the skirts fit me just right. (I always forget to mention that in clothing threads. ) Glad you found some others you liked though .

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 22 2006 at 2:37pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

JennGM wrote:
I always buy black shoes to go with black and grey. The only thing that I don't like black with is navy. Black is classy, dresses up and down and probably a better investment.

I agree. I like brown but black goes with more. I ordered the boots in black. But then I did buy some really cool highish heel slip on brown shoes at Kohl's last week.

Quote:

I stopped by yesterday too (I had to go to the mall because I need a . . . umm . . .Cinnabon ) and they had some nice long skirts on sale but not on sale enough for me at $29.99. Plus they were out of my size. Oh yeah and there's also that little voice in the back of my head saying "you have plenty of fabric to make skirts!" . . .which is true.

By the way...I was thinking last night that if any of you are interested I might offer an online virtual skirt making class. Realtime with a webcam so you can "see" how to do it and even ask questions. Just an idea.

God bless!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 22 2006 at 2:49pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Michele, I am surprised that they did not have any less expensive than $29.99. That is too bad. Most of the skirts I tried on were $9.99 and there were a few that were $2.99 and one that was ninety eight cents!

I thought I could not even buy fabric and make any for that price! (..not that I am in the habit of making skirts since I cannot even sew cub scout patches on without sewing the shirtsleeves together !)

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Nov 22 2006 at 2:49pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

JennGM wrote:
I checked out Christopher Banks yesterday . . .

Hi Jenn,
Where did you go to Christopher Banks? I checked out their store locator and everything seemed so far away.

Elizabeth wrote:
These are mid calf, too

I saw those in the Lands End section of Sears not too long ago. They looked great and the leather was very soft. I was so wishing it was in the budget this year . . . .

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 22 2006 at 3:03pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

Mrs.K wrote:
So,how is your skirted day going, Cheryl?

It's interesting. I noticed right away that I often sit in positions that are not very lady like. When I nurse and type on the computer, I put my knee up on the table to support the arm that's holding Rachel. You can't do that in a long skirt. There's also a lot of fabric whipping around when you try to walk quickly. I realized that our house is huge and I need to run to find the phone when it's ringing and somebody (me ) didn't return it to it's proper place.

I've been thinking of you ladies all day. I've been noticing that most women wear pants. When I went out this morning the wind was blowing across my driveway. It was chilly in my cotton tights, loafers and skirt with a slit in the back. As I gracefully (picture a graceful mermaid) hopped up into my dh's Jeep Cherokee, I thought that Elizabeth should definitely wear pants and snow boots to soccer games. Then as the heat kicked on, I thought that she could probably wear many layers and warm stylish boots as suggested.

I saw my mother today and she said I looked pretty. She said, "I never see you in skirts."

I have to go take care of the dc and babysit my nephews. Thank you all for answering my questions. I can't wait to read them again tonight. Maybe I'll write more later.

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 22 2006 at 3:07pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

micheleq wrote:
I stopped by yesterday too (I had to go to the mall because I need a . . . umm . . .Cinnabon ) and they had some nice long skirts on sale but not on sale enough for me at $29.99. Plus they were out of my size. Oh yeah and there's also that little voice in the back of my head saying "you have plenty of fabric to make skirts!" . . .which is true.

By the way...I was thinking last night that if any of you are interested I might offer an online virtual skirt making class. Realtime with a webcam so you can "see" how to do it and even ask questions. Just an idea.

Michele, I was thinking of you when I was shopping for skirts. The skirts I bought yesterday were less than that, otherwise, that little voice was nudging me, also -- I have some really nice fabric that I should be making into skirts. I was just going to ask for some pattern and sewing suggestions. The virtual sewing class sounds so terrific. Something to do after that baby is here and Christmas busyness slows down?

teachingmom wrote:
JennGM wrote:
I checked out Christopher Banks yesterday . . .

Hi Jenn,
Where did you go to Christopher Banks? I checked out their store locator and everything seemed so far away.

I'm so sorry for being misleading! I'm in Pennsylvania right now, so I did some shopping while visiting in-laws.

I had a discussion with my dh today about wearing skirts, told him I was trying to wear them more often. He agrees skirts are feminine, but doesn't think pants aren't, and that I shouldn't eliminate my pants altogether. And under no circumstances should I wear denim skirts or jumpers. It showed me that I definitely need to talk with him!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 22 2006 at 7:44pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Hi Michele,

Is there a pattern you like to use to make slips? I've never seen flannel-lined satin but I'm hoping I can find some.

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

<< Prev Page of 17 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version