Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Tights? Boots?Modesty when it's cold Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 11 2006 at 5:21am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

MISSY!!!! HI! How great to 'see' ya here!   

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

MarieC
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 11 2006 at 5:37am | IP Logged Quote MarieC

Hi & Welcome, Missy!

Bet I "see" you here more than in the neighborhood!

Have a great day!

Out in the Orchard
Back to Top View MarieC's Profile Search for other posts by MarieC

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 15 2006 at 2:26pm | IP Logged Quote Lissa

Victoria in AZ wrote:
Lissa wrote:

I admit I come home from Mass and change back into my jeans. Every time I've thought about making the switch to skirts only, my husband has made it very clear this would not be his preference. He likes me in jeans.

Exactly, exactly what my husband says. Down to the Levis. I make an effort to dress up just a bit (khakis and button down shirts), but get the most compliments from him when I'm in my Levis...

It truly cracks me up--some days I actually change OUT of a skirt and into jeans right before he comes home! LOL.

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 15 2006 at 2:32pm | IP Logged Quote Lissa

Tina P. wrote:
Lissa wrote:
May I back up to tights for a moment? I have one pair of black Hanna Andersson cable-knit tights, and I love love love them ... one cherished pair of tights has seen several winters and I could use another pair. But ACK, it seems Hanna Andersson is no longer carrying the cable-knits in women's sizes! Here's the girls' version so you can see what kind I mean.

Lands End doesn't have them either. Does anyone know of another source?

WHAT!?!? These are the tights I have. I thought I linked them earlier on in this mammoth conversation. I actually have two pairs: one black, one off-white. Oh, I am fretting. My tights have lasted for years as well, but when it's time to replace them, where do we go?

I'll write Hanna and see what's happened to them. Hey Lissa, I fit into a girl's shoe at Hanna. Maybe we could fit into girls' tights as well ... ? Well, it's just a thought.

God bless,

Followup on the Hanna tights--the ones they no longer carry in women's sizes are the cable knits. I tried their "classic knit tights" instead, and they are much thicker than I realized (and ribbed). Just what I was looking for.

The price tag is a bit scary (2 pr for $36) but my one pair of black cable knits I ordered from Hanna are still in good shape after several years.

Philothea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 15 2006 at 2:46pm | IP Logged Quote Philothea

For those intimidated by the cost of Hannas, I found cable knit tights at Target. I have worn them several times with no runs yet. They only come in dark grey, though.

They do have a lot of thick, ribbed leggings in basic colors (black, brown, grey, navy blue), too. And the prices are extremely reasonable. You just have to wear socks with them.
Back to Top View Philothea's Profile Search for other posts by Philothea

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Dec 26 2006 at 6:32am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

LLBean boots are on sale here!

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 28 2006 at 8:26am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Elizabeth wrote:
LLBean boots are on sale here!

Our family braved the crowd at Tysons yesterday. The LLBean store had some real bargains. I had to do some exchanging and am thrilled with my new boots.

I originally got these under the tree Bradbury Field Boots, Riding. I have skinnier calves, and these were too big up top, and wider at the foot. Plus, my biggest complaint is that it had white top stitching, which I didn't want.

But I replaced them with these Rockport Merrick boots. They don't come to the knee, a few inches below, but they are comfortable. And they were on sale, so even better!

The riding boot look is so in style now. I found all sorts of different versions in other stores (on sale). What I like is most have a rubber/non-skid sole, low heel, so dress up/dress down, withstand mud and wet, too.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 28 2006 at 12:21pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

I was in the Eddie Bauer Store yesterday and saw a few skirts marked down, that are available in catalogue too...with lots of sizes and colors left.

Long Corduroy Skirt Looks a bit shorter than I would like, I'd probably order a tall size, but the corduroy is very nice and it's a very attractive skirt.
textured cotton long skirt Probably not the perfect width on the bottom for complete movement, but do-able.
Knit Ponte Skirt I think this is a straighter skirt, but it's knit, so the stretch is there.
Stretch Velveteen Skirt Wide Flounce at the bottom, it's a tighter skirt from the waist to the knees, so maybe not a good "everyday" skirt.
I think Eddie Bauer sizing is inconsistent and their non-stretch skirts tend to fit women who do not have hips. But, there's nothing wrong with a skirt with a waist that is too big, just something to keep in mind

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

julia s.
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 28 2006 at 12:36pm | IP Logged Quote julia s.

I just wanted to say that I ordered this skirt from JCPenny and it is very well made. It has a lining and is long. I'm between sizes so I chose the larger size and it hang almost down to my ankles. I would look at the rest of their skirts they have available on the sight too. Their prices seem reasonable if you aren't one to sew.

Back to Top View julia s.'s Profile Search for other posts by julia s.

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 28 2006 at 12:41pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Would it be helpful to have a different on-going thread like Picture Book Discoveries and Look what I just saw in my yard
where we would post good, modest, clothing "finds" ....either things we purchased and really like, or things we find on-line that look interesting, or even clothing we've made or modified, etc.?

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 28 2006 at 12:55pm | IP Logged Quote Christine

suzgallus wrote:
I was in the Eddie Bauer Store yesterday and saw a few skirts marked down, that are available in catalogue too...with lots of sizes and colors left.

Thank you for the tip, Suzanne. I was looking at Eddie Bauer skirts before Christmas, but couldn't bring myself to pay full price.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 28 2006 at 2:01pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

How did you know I was skirt shopping right now    Thanks so much I bought 2 Courdoroy, 1 wool cargo and 1 velvet!! Can't wait, now for the tights...

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 29 2006 at 5:03pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

SeaStar wrote:

If you don't mind shopping at Walmart, I saw some gored, A-line skirts there this week for about $10 (black, khaki, denim).

I was at Wal-Mart today with just Annie (did you know that 5 yr old will still act up in a dressing room? ie: attempt to throw Mommy's blouse over the open stall when she isn't looking ) and I found some nice riding skirts for $16.+ in denim, black and khaki. I like them because they are longer than the ones described above. They reach down my calves above my ankle.

I took a deep breath and bought a khaki. I'm going to start slowly otherwise my family will pass-out. I kid you not.

I'm bothered though. Perhaps because I'm not use to being in skirts. The skirt makes me look stilted and too formal. Goodness, I don't want to look like a nun! And I'm not saying that ugly-like. I'm not a nun so I don't want to look like one. There is a story behind this.

I grew up with people asking me if my mother was a nun. She worked as a secretary at the local Catholic school and everyone thought she was a nun. I love nuns and have a secret desire to see at least one of my girls called to this vocation but it's hard on a child to grow up with people thinking their mother is a nun.

I'm a mother and happy to be a mother. I want to look like a mother.

All you other ladies look so lovely and *normal* in skirts. Perhaps short hair doesn't work with dresses. I don't know what it is but I'm going to wear this skirt and see how it goes. I haven't had a haircut in awhile and keep putting it off but, honestly, I look like a witch with long hair. Laugh if you must but I'm serious.

I want to look like a nice, normal, feminine mom...not a nun or a witch. Hope this doesn't sound offensive. I'm just being honest.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 29 2006 at 5:09pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Cay Gibson wrote:
I want to look like a nice, normal, feminine mom...not a nun or a witch. Hope this doesn't sound offensive. I'm just being honest.

Okay, this does sound too ugly. Sorry.   I hate that nun and witch are in the same sentence.

Tomatoes? Let me have them.

Perhaps this skirt-experiment just isn't going to work out.

mom to 5
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Dec 29 2006 at 5:12pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Cay,
You're thinking too hard. Get the absolute most comfortable skirt you can find and just wear it. don't make any announcements; just wear the skirt. Move in it. Do every mom thing you can think of in it. Don't act like you're dressed up for Sunday tea. And then, do it again the next day. Then, go buy one in every color and just repeat the process again and again.   

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 29 2006 at 5:15pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Elizabeth wrote:
Cay,
You're thinking too hard.

You know what?
You are so right!
That's probably what the problem is.
Thanks for making me feel better.

mom to 5

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 29 2006 at 6:59pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

Cay,

I think it feels formal the first couple of days, especially with a new skirt. I didn't want mine to get dirty. Then, I relaxed a bit.

I'm letting my hair grow out so I'll look more feminine. I never thought about looking like a nun. I did wonder if my dh would think I looked too ???? out of style?? But he's been very attracted to the new look. He gives me complements all the time. I was very surprised. I don't think my dc noticed.

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 29 2006 at 7:38pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Oh, Cay- you made me laugh!

How could people think your mom was a nun? I mean motherhood physically not being on your to do list if you are a nun. I'm guessing they just saw her in the office without the kids.

But I know what you mean- jumping into skirts again after a four year break- and now as a SAHM (when there is no chance I might be dressing up for something at work)- does push me somewhat outside my comfort level. I get dressed and there is no one there over 4 years old to tell me if I look OK or if I look "unusual". And I am so unused to seeing myself in skirts that I can't tell if I look goofy or not.

But the ones I have are comfortable, I will say that, and I am having fun wearing them (if nothing else they are a much needed break from jeans- a good mental shake-up). I don't wear them every day, and I am having trouble wearing them going for long walks with the jogging stroller (a mental block, as it is obviously no harder to walk in a skirt than in pants).

Anyway- I'm sure that you don't look like a nun or a witch, and anyone seeing you in your new skirt might think: well, she looks very nice today.. and that's about it.   It's funny how we agonize over our own issues while everyone else is busy agonizing over theirs and not really paying a whole lot of attention to us after all.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Mrs.K
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 29 2006 at 8:03pm | IP Logged Quote Mrs.K

Cheryl wrote:
   I never thought about looking like a nun. I did wonder if my dh would think I looked too ???? out of style?? But he's been very attracted to the new look. He gives me complements all the time.    

Cheryl, I don't think you have anything to worry about! You look absolutely lovely in your skirts and how could a 'hot tamale' possibly look anything like a nun?

My blogPondered in My Heart
Jesus,I trust in You!
Back to Top View Mrs.K's Profile Search for other posts by Mrs.K

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 29 2006 at 9:04pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

Mrs.K wrote:
how could a 'hot tamale' possibly look anything like a nun?

That's funny. I forgot about that already.

I've been meaning to thank Elizabeth ( Thanks Elizabeth!) for her post about the LL Bean sale. I now have brown boots and black boots. (I had bought black at full price. ) I've also decided to go out and about in skirts and my Columbia jacket and no one has commented.

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 17 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version