Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Tights? Boots?Modesty when it's cold Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 30 2006 at 11:48am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Actually, truth be told....my 3-year-old took a couple of the pictures from yesterday y    Usually my 5 1/2 year old is doing it, but yesterday the younger ones wanted to get in on the action, as interest is diminishing with my "regular photographer" (5-yr-old).

There is just A LOT of cropping that I do, and in some cases my head is cut off , but with this subject we just don't care!

Suzanne in WA
mom to 4 girls - ages 5,4,3,9 months
Gladdest Hours
Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 30 2006 at 11:52am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Bridget and I were writing about our 3-yr-old-photographers at the same time.

Suzanne in WA
mom to 4 girls - ages 5,4,3,9months
Gladdest Hours

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2006 at 11:57am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Abby has been taking my pics, she's hinting for her own camera for Christmas! Of course each time I pick up the camera, I find evidence of a much younger budding photographer that goes by the name of "NOT ME"!

Jenn, what you said about a 'uniform'- that is something that I have actually been thinking about lately. After reading the booklet posted above it really occured to me that there is NOTHING wrong with a uniform. The point was made that oftentimes we get slightly aggrevated (I get more than slightly aggrevated ) when a priest habitually neglects to wear his collar or how many nuns have abanonded their habits. That really struck a cord for me.

I love the quote "to dress according to the dignity of your vocation." I've meditated on that line alot lately.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 30 2006 at 12:11pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

I think I want to meditate on the phrase, "the dignity of your vocation" as a general matter, not just applying to how I dress. Such a more elevating thought than, "I'm just a housewife," even though I don't buy into that one.

"The dignity of my vocation" really inspires me to do my best and be my best, with trust in the Lord to lead me there, as it is He who calls me to follow wherever He leads.

Sorry if this is off-topic, but it does seem to me in many ways to be spot on as the philosophical underpinning of the rest of this conversation.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2006 at 12:28pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Nancy, of course meditating on the dignity of our vocation as a general matter is a good thing, what I'm saying is that after reading that quote, I went from 'general' to more 'specific'.

Dressing according to the dignity of my vocation
Speakig according to the dignity of my vocation
acting according to the dignity of my vocation
recreation according to the dignity of my vocation
.....etc...

Dressing was relavant to this discussion, especially when many of us have noticed how our feminine dignity is enhanced when we dress more feminine.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 30 2006 at 12:42pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

kjohnson wrote:
In the meantime, can someone please tell me how you can pull off long skirts during pregnancy without looking like a tent?

Motherhood Maternity has had my share of letters over the past couple of years, complaining about their clothing . I've even included several sketches of modest, everyday maternity skirts. Of course, to no avail...I don't know why I bothered. Must've been the OCD kicking in.

Maybe if y'all are buying out Lands End black boots, we could change the offerings of Motherhood Maternity   

Joann Fabrics or any fabric store has packages of "maternity panels"...square pieces of stretchy nylon. I have purchased non-maternity skirts at thrift stores, and then cut the front tummy out and replaced it with the maternity panels. Pretty "rough" but makes for a "non-tenty" skirt. And, you have a shirt covering it up anyway....unless of course you have the NEW maternity shirts, which aren't LONG AT ALL    I have a girlfriend who had never sewed before and she did this. The stitching WASN't pretty, it was very rough...but it worked and no one ever saw it.

I also like the
Little Touch of Elegance skirts. They are very nice.

There ARE lots more STRAIGHT KNIT maternity skirts out there....which isn't the end of the world, since you tend to be a bit less active and WILD and CRAZY while pregnant    (at least I am!) and knit stretches.

And, buying regular skirts a couple sizes bigger, like Christine said, works too. You can even pin/stitch, etc. to make them how you want....again, the shirt would cover up these alterations.

And, don't forget about casual maternity dresses.....(if you're not nursing,of course)....put a dress on with a sweater/sweatshirt/vest/cardigan over it for winter. Actually more comfortable than skirts cuz there is nothing around the belly.

I do fall back into wearing more pants during pregnancy.   

Suzanne in WA
mom to 4 girls - ages 5,4,3,9 months
   Gladdest Hours

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2006 at 12:54pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

suzgallus wrote:
   Side note: There are a couple of women in our neighborhood who are pregnant, and my husband says that he is embarassed to look at them....their clothes are so tight, bellies stick out, cleavage hanging out all over the place, etc. Not that any of these bodily characteristics is BAD or abnormal....it's all part of being pregnant, but it's just that a passer-by shouldn't have to see the EXACT form of your pregnant body.

Suzanne, all I can say is don't come south!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 30 2006 at 1:22pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

I know....the joke in the Pacific NW is that we all moved here cuz we like to WEAR CLOTHES!!!

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2006 at 1:26pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2006 at 1:47pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

kjohnson wrote:

Thanks for the links. I did order these 2 skirts from Motherhood and I am pleased with them (mostly since they are the only long maternity skirts I have found so far). I'm excited to have the new links!

Very nice!

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

kjohnson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2006 at 2:00pm | IP Logged Quote kjohnson

MicheleQ wrote:
It's funny you should mention taking orders though because for the last 6 months or so I have been talking to dh about making and selling modest skirts and nursing tops and dresses (specifically made to fit moms like me who need a bigger size up front but not all over). He brought it up again last week and I am seriously thinking of giving it a go after the new year. But it will depend on how high maintainence this babykins is of course so we'll see.

Michele, if this is something you end up doing, consider me to be one of your first customers. That would be wonderful.   

I'm glad to hear that you're feeling well. After experiencing sciatica for the first time, I have thought about and prayed for you often. And I can't wait to hear some big news from you soon!

Back to Top View kjohnson's Profile Search for other posts by kjohnson

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2006 at 2:05pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

kjohnson wrote:
After experiencing sciatica for the first time, I have thought about and prayed for you often.
Oh ugh! I'm sorry to hear it. My sciatica pain is constant but the intensity comes and goes. Right now it's bearable. I was thinking the other night that I can't really remember what it feels like to have my back be completely pain free. I'm looking forward to it.

Quote:
And I can't wait to hear some big news from you soon!
Me too! Contractions come and go but nothing regular enough to count on. I did have an u/s yesterday for size (no idea what the result was because the tech just said "your doctor will get the results in a few days" but it was really comforting to see the baby. She is way down and ready to go.

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2006 at 2:30pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Even though I exclusively wear skirts, I've been so inspired by the gorgeous photos of all the beautiful skirt-wearing Catholic homeschool moms out there! Yesterday as I was walking into the bank, I was behind someone and for the longest time couldn't figure out if that person was a man or a woman. It made me so sad ! No one will have to play that guessing game with any of you ladies!

I couldn't resist & provided a couple of shots. Sorry the photos are blurry, but the photographers around here are also on the youngish side . In the photos, I'm wearing a black prairie skirt from, dare I say, Walmart. My boots are these in black from Kohls. They do look a little masculine but seem to work with long, full skirts. They remind me of what St. Therese or Laura Ingalls Wilder might have worn. They're very comfortable & certainly very practical.

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 30 2006 at 2:32pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

this ebay store, UpSox has
these leg warmers]. they are long. they will sell 1 pair at a time, just need to ask

they can also be found in stores (target, jcp, macy's) these days

Suzanne in WA
mom to 4 girls - ages 5,4,3,9months
Gladdest Hours

Lisa R
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2006 at 6:10pm | IP Logged Quote Lisa R

Thanks for all the answers to my questions on my previous post. Only one left....leggings? I hate tights so I'm thinking of wearing silk underwear and leggings(on really cold days) with socks and boots? Does that seem right? Just silks and socks on other days? Sorry I seem so dense!

Thanks!

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 30 2006 at 8:27pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

This thread has been very interesting and helpful. I used to wear skirts and dresses quite often, but after ds was born found myself all in pants all the time. I posted recently that my dd won't wear a dress- then I realized that she never sees me in one, and so I have been looking at skirts ever since. This topic was very timely for me.

If you don't mind shopping at Walmart, I saw some gored, A-line skirts there this week for about $10 (black, khaki, denim). They are not full length (I am 5'3 and they reach about 3-4 inches below my knees), but I am in the warm South and don't need the length for warmth. My dh liked it a lot- said it didn't make me look "frumpy"    My kids were very intrigued by it, too.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2006 at 8:40pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

SeaStar wrote:

If you don't mind shopping at Walmart, I saw some gored, A-line skirts there this week for about $10 (black, khaki, denim).

I just came from there and found...nothing.

I also realized that this is not the best season to be shopping for a new wardrobe. Too many other expenses.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2006 at 10:01pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

Lisbet wrote:
Helen, you mention being more careful about your scapular showing...can you elaborate a bit?

Lisa, when I saw my picture, I realized I looked more messy than I realized. My scapular was out, which I try to wear inside but I don't remember seeing my miraculous medal. (Which means they were in knots and I should have untied them.) (I don't think I was saying anything more than that.)

I thought I was wearing a nice sweater (it is a nice sweater) it just looked a little messy in the picture.

Once something becomes easy in the spiritual life we still need to keep struggling against ourselves in some way to prevent complacency. So, I try (not always successfully) to keep my appearance tidy as a way of practicing modesty and living a life consecrated to the Immaculate.

Lisbet wrote:

Thanks so much, you have so much wonderful insight on this whole issue.

Thank you... but really lots of mistakes
and then
trying again can give one a lot of insights on an issue.

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

kjohnson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2006 at 10:12pm | IP Logged Quote kjohnson

suzgallus wrote:
I also like the

That's the 2nd recommendation for Little Touch of Elegance and I did go ahead and order their maternity skirts in 3 different colors. I hope they fit well. I have 9 pound + babies and at a certain point, nothing fits very well.   

Back to Top View kjohnson's Profile Search for other posts by kjohnson

LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2006 at 11:18pm | IP Logged Quote LisaD

kjohnson wrote:
suzgallus wrote:
I also like the

That's the 2nd recommendation for Little Touch of Elegance and I did go ahead and order their maternity skirts in 3 different colors. I hope they fit well. I have 9 pound + babies and at a certain point, nothing fits very well.   

I do hope you have good luck with their maternity skirts. I ordered two from them last pregnancy. The panel they use are smaller than others, and I carry my babies way out front in the belly. So, the skirt didn't work for me after about my sixth month. Also, one of the skirts I ordered was cut wrong--the left side hung 4 inches longer than the right. I returned it with a letter asking to exchange it, but never received anything back. It's my fault for not calling to tell them, before I sent it, but it was still rather disappointing.

<< Prev Page of 17 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version