Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Tights? Boots?Modesty when it's cold Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 29 2006 at 9:07pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

kjohnson wrote:
In the meantime, can someone please tell me how you can pull off long skirts during pregnancy without looking like a tent?

With my last 2 pregnancies, I mostly wore a denim bias skirt I had bought very inexpensively from Blair in a size large. Again, the cut makes the difference. Little Touch of Elegance sells beautiful maternity skirts.

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 29 2006 at 9:51pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

Did you ever notice how when you're thinking about buying a particular make of car (or van), you see that make all over the highways? Well, a similar thing is happening to me with skirted women. Today when I was driving through downtown, I saw a woman in a long skirt pushing a jogger stroller. I was so excited. Then I saw an older woman taking a brisk walk in a skirt. I never would have noticed these things a week and a half ago.

I'm also noticing all the tight, tight pants. The waiting room of my dd's ballet class was full of them.

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

kjohnson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 29 2006 at 10:12pm | IP Logged Quote kjohnson

BrendaPeter wrote:

With my last 2 pregnancies, I mostly wore a denim bias skirt I had bought very inexpensively from Blair in a size large. Again, the cut makes the difference. Little Touch of Elegance sells beautiful maternity skirts.

Thanks for the links. I did order these 2 skirts from Motherhood and I am pleased with them (mostly since they are the only long maternity skirts I have found so far). I'm excited to have the new links!

Back to Top View kjohnson's Profile Search for other posts by kjohnson

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 29 2006 at 10:19pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

kjohnson wrote:
can someone please tell me how you can pull off long skirts during pregnancy without looking like a tent? Does anyone know of a good source for long maternity skirts?

Katherine. I wear bias cut skirts when I am pregnant because they hug the belly and don't give the tent look. Since I also wear a top long enough to cover my belly and bakside they are modest. I have three from Motherhood Maternity that are mid calf length but they are several years old so I don't know if they sell the same style anymore.

I also made one and it's comfotable but not as flattering as the Motherhood ones. (Of course I don't wear it with my shirt tucked in, I just had it that way for the picture.)

God bless,

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

kjohnson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 29 2006 at 10:57pm | IP Logged Quote kjohnson

You are such a talented seamstress, Michele. I wish you took orders. (In all your free time, right? )

Hope you're feeling well!

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2006 at 4:01am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

[QUOTE=Helen] Has everyone seen the daily skirt wearing posts? (I linked them from my blog.)

Wonderful photos! Thanks for starting this up. I hope to get a digital camera for Christmas. Then maybe I too can post some photos.

Another question.
How do you handle this issue with your daughters? My dd1-4 all wear dresses on Sunday and on HDofO and other festive occasions. If I asked dd1 (10 yrs old) to wear a skirt or dress regularly to school she would definitely rebel.
Or is this another thread?

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2006 at 4:08am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

[QUOTE=Tina P.] Here's a question: for those of you who buy silk underwear, do you let the underwear peek out (with socks on, of course) from under your skirt as if it was tights? I like the pair that Ruth linked above, but I was thinking that if I ordered it in a mocha color, I could let it show a bit under khaki/tan skirts ... ? Am I way off base? And one more question about silks ... don't you sweat in them? Ugh! I hate to even think of it!

Tina, I do not let my underwear peek out. My skirts have a mid calf length and my silks go to below my knees. I have stockings on under the silks. (this is for very cold days) I have never sweated because of silk. It is actually more popular as a summer fabric - it warms and cools depending what is necessary.

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Nov 30 2006 at 7:11am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Katherine,
I got this skirt at Gap maternity and--I don't have a picture--but another favorite was from Old Navy. Both of them I ordered online, on sale.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

kjohnson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2006 at 7:18am | IP Logged Quote kjohnson

Elizabeth wrote:
Katherine,
I got this skirt at Gap maternity and--I don't have a picture--but another favorite was from Old Navy. Both of them I ordered online, on sale.

I like that and it's nice to see it on at 40 weeks. It's amazing how many maternity models don't even look pregnant (they probably aren't). I'll have to check out both of the stores and see what they have.

And...nice shoes, I have mine on right now.

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2006 at 7:24am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Silk is one of the natural fabrics so it breathes well. We are making an effort to only buy cotton, silk or linen as clothes made of anything else are so very hot down here. Combine humidity with that and I spend all day tugging at my clothes. If you are in FL, GA or AZ Bealls has great deals on all sorts of clothes, including nubby raw silk shirts, fwiw.

I'm enjoying the Week in Skirts, you've linked together, Helen. Thank you!

And Lisa - I'm unsure is my comment went through but your plaid skirt is lovely! And only one dollar? Wow!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2006 at 7:40am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Thanks Jennifer! I'm always on the look out for a bargin.

I have a nubby raw silk ring sling, and when the temps hit 95 and up here after Molly was born, it was perfect!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2006 at 7:52am | IP Logged Quote Helen

At this point, just to keep things easier for the future, if you have any more daily skirt wearing posts, leave the link in the comment section of this post and this thread.

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2006 at 8:08am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

kjohnson wrote:
You are such a talented seamstress, Michele. I wish you took orders. (In all your free time, right? )

Katherine you are very sweet but honestly it's like any other skill in that the more you do it the better you get.

It's funny you should mention taking orders though because for the last 6 months or so I have been talking to dh about making and selling modest skirts and nursing tops and dresses (specifically made to fit moms like me who need a bigger size up front but not all over). He brought it up again last week and I am seriously thinking of giving it a go after the new year. But it will depend on how high maintainence this babykins is of course so we'll see.

Quote:
Hope you're feeling well!

As well as can be expected I suppose. Actually I do feel well - just really READY to have a baby!

But this is one more day to get things ready for Advent and Chrsitmas so I'm taking advantage of it. My bedroom is finished (new windows) and the workman are going to be here in my den today finishing so I won't be able to be on my computer much (if at all) so I guess I'll sew.

The kids are mostly playing outside today because it's supposed to get really COLD tomorrow so we're enjoying the lovely weather while we can.

God bless,

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2006 at 8:15am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Helen, you mention being more careful about your scapular showing...can you elaborate a bit? I try to keep my scapular tucked under my shirt, but it ends up out more than in. All of my babies fiddle with it while nursing, and Molly wraps it around her fist and sucks her thumb. (why a Catholic mother would spend the money on a 'nursing necklace' is beyond me!!)

I've never really given much consideration to HOW I wear it. Thanks so much, you have so much wonderful insight on this whole issue.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12

Lisa R
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2006 at 10:26am | IP Logged Quote Lisa R

Okay, so I'm completely interested in this thread and changing my way of dressing. Even talked to my boys about it yesterday and they thought it was a great idea (after they got over the shock )! So.....to get the complete run-down of how this will look, tell me if I'm on the right wave-length here.

I need:
Skirts
Tunics or some kind of shirts
Land's End boots (seem to be the favorite here)
Silk underwear (it's cold where I live )
Socks? What kind?
Leggings? with silk underwear or not? Confused on this one.

How did you handle the comments from people on the change? I never where dresses or skirts so I'm sure it will be quite the talk.

Thanks so much!

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2006 at 10:34am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Lisa, YAY!! I hope the switch is a great one for you. I know I've been blessed!

I wanted to tell you that I have not had anyone make an outright comment on how I dress. My mom does eyeball my skirt when she come over in the middle of the day when I haven't left the house, but she's not said a thing to me. If anyone were to ask me, I would reply that it's just what I prefer.

Isn't funny that as women, we have to be concerned about what people will say about us wearing dresses! The irony!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 30 2006 at 10:35am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Silk is warm, but it breathes. When I was skinnier and had no extra padding, I used to wear silk underwear under my clothing -- camisoles, slip, short johns. I don't live in a cold climate, so I don't need much. I did have to replace the shirts over time as my perspiration and deodorant (I struggle with underarm perspiration) broke down the fibers.

For those that are taking pictures of your day in skirts, who is taking the pictures????

I don't want people to think that we have to have a homeschooling mom uniform! But most of what is chosen are classic, timeless, and practical clothing and shoes. Just please, when we do get together, let's coordinate so we don't seem so matchy-matchy.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2006 at 11:29am | IP Logged Quote Bridget

JennGM wrote:

For those that are taking pictures of your day in skirts, who is taking the pictures????

The children

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 30 2006 at 11:31am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Bridget wrote:
JennGM wrote:

The children

That's what I thought. Well, my pictures will have to wait until someone grows a little older. L

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2006 at 11:47am | IP Logged Quote Bridget

I don't know...my three year old has gotten some great leg and foot shots!   

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 17 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version