Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Nurturing the Years of Wonder
 4Real Forums : Nurturing the Years of Wonder
Subject Topic: Karen's Pink, Blue & Green Kits Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 16 2007 at 7:09am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Kristee wrote:
The P/B/G series is new to me. Was that used by Montessori or is it just a really successful method? I've heard of Explode the Code, but the P/B/G kits seem so attractive to use. So, I'm considering buying Karen's.

I have a question and a thought about the coloring. Is it even necessary to do the coloring? I'm not sure that I would be happy with the results if I used colored pencil. I would try watercolor. Watercolor could be tricky to control, but a dry-er brush (one with less water) on a thicker weight paper would probably do fine. Even reg. printer paper on such a small surface area would probably work fine. For me, it would be a faster way to add slight color without the hassle. Sounds like it is a bargain, I'm curious about what similar kits usually cost and if they are they the same as hers?
Kristee

Kristee,
The Pink, Blue, Green kits were not used by Montessori because she didn't teach English phonics, she taught Italian - which is apparently much easier to learn than English. I believe it is "completely" phonetic, while our English language has a lot of "rule-breakers" to learn. The Pink, Blue, Green kits were an answer to teaching Montessori to English speaking/reading students.

You certainly could use a number of programs out there to teach phonics successfully, and we have. Some kids "just get it" and some kids do require a little more time and practice - it doesn't come naturally to them.

There are a number of places that offer P,B,G series. Here are a few links to check out. Alison's PInk Set, Montessori For Everyone's P,B,G series. One of the draws for me to Karen's set is that I'm taking her class, so her series matches the albums I'm getting from her, and is quite comprehensive. Also, she's offered the set at a very good price for those of us in her class - that's a big draw!

I do use the CHC Little Stories for Little Folks, and Little Angel Readers as phonics readers to supplement my phonics program.

I would probably want to color if I ordered, though I'm still waffling between Karen's set and Lori's set at Montessori for Everyone. Adding color adds attractiveness to the set. And I may enlist my 10 yo to help with some of this.

Melinda,
I saw your question up there, and I am definitely going to get the language objects - not sure if I'll order from M.Services or MnSuch, I have orders waiting to be placed from both.

I'm really anxious to hear what you guys think of Karen's set.    

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 16 2007 at 10:40am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Kristin wrote:
Meredith, I went to the link you posted and put in a request to join the Yahoo group. Not sure if this will work, however, as I'm not attending Karen's class. Thanks for your help. I'll be giving her a call tomorrow and I'm sure that we'll get things sorted out!

Oh Sorry Kristin, I was under the impression that you were taking the class The offer for the Series was for the students currently enrolled. I'm sure she would be very happy to chat with you about them, however, and maybe you'd like to join I appologize if this was confusing. Let me know how things work out!
Blessings!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 16 2007 at 10:57am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

happymama wrote:
Just a personal note, maybe not very helpful - but I certainly won't purchase Karen's sets. My 4-year-old is a very good reader so far (2nd-3rd grade level), and all we used were:

the phonics book by Dolores Hiskes
object boxes (with objects from montessoriservices, but this activity was very easy for him)
home-made flashcards of digraphs
sight-word flashcards from Target
sandpaper letters
a box of "letter books" from discovery toys

It required very little preparation work from me. Now that i'm doing Karen's album class, I've gotten a few ideas on pre-reading activites for my 2-year-old, and I like the "secrets" game for teaching my 4yo how to read to himself. And we'll do the grammar lessons. But I didn't like the choice of pictures because I thought several of them were vague (I'm looking at the picture thinking, what is this?) and small, and wouldn't look too great if I spent time coloring them, either. Obviously if I have a child who really struggles with reading I will do more of the lessons as needed... maybe i just got "lucky" with kid #1?

Happymama, thanks for sharing what has been workng for you here. I too had a first child (and second, and third) that were excellent and early readers (3.5, 4.5, and 4.5) and I'm sure my 2yo (who is sharp as a whip) will also be an early reader. The concept with the P/B/G Series is not just for reading readiness, but an introduction to Language and Grammar in general at a very young age. Montessori did not actually *teach* with this method as her students (initially) were all Italian and that is a language perfectly phonetic and much easier to learn than our English language. That being said, she wanted a way for the children in her Casa dei Bambini's to discover language on their own, and they did, and it was amazing for them!!

It is certainly a personal choice whether or not to buy ANY Montessori material for your dc based on what may or may not work for them, and that is the beauty of home education, we get to pick and choose!! I have apreciated the generosity and wisdom that Karen has shared via her classes thus far and merely wanted to chat about what a lovely opportunity this is for the people that want to incorporate the P/B/G Series into their Montessori environments!!

I'm so glad you have early readers and you will find that the older they get, school will be much easier for them and you for that matter!! Thanks for sharing, blessings!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 16 2007 at 2:50pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

I am overwhelmed just reading the stuff. I keep waffling back and forth about making these or buying from Karen or Montessori-Lori. Right now I'm barely keeping up with the class and haven't done any presentations. My youngest 2 children are 4 and 7. My 7 yo is just now learning to read. I am not a big fan of pushing early reading due to eye immaturity. I am not sure about small print being good for my dc and what I'm hearing about the time it will take to put together, I am not sure that I can even accomplish that right now either. However, I do have some ideas how some of this might be helpful to some of mine. But I'm not sure I'd even have everything put together yet - AND money has definitely run out. I have yet to do more than a few presentations with my dc and just found out we should be doing 1 per day so far. I'm not keeping up and right now have to take a break to travel to a funeral and plan for next school year, which for us is supposed to start on Aug. 16. I am overwhelmed right now.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Kristin
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 16 2007 at 2:59pm | IP Logged Quote Kristin

No problem, Meredith. Sounds like a great class and I'm glad that so many of you have the opportunity to take it! I've done similar things in the past couple of years and have found it to be very helpful! As for the P/B/G set, I purchased them through Karen's website and was under the impression that photos and materials lists were to be included. I haven't had a chance to contact her yet --- I was out running around all morning gathering up boxes, felt etc. needed to complete the pink series. I am actually quite excited about what I found.

Instead of one "sound" box for each letter, I decided to get three boxes and switch them out; a simple modification for our home environment that I think would work better for us. At Hobby Lobby, I found the perfect thing! They are small, square boxes (approximately the same size as jewelry boxes) that have something like a "photo lid", except without glass. These boxes will make it even easier than I had hoped to switch out the boxes, as I can mount the felt letters to a small piece of poster board or card stock, insert into the box top and when finished, switch away! They even have two different sizes, one square and one rectangular. I got a couple square ones for the short letters and rectangular for the long letters!

Next I need to see if I can find some felt letters in lowercase that will be the right size for the sound boxes. Tracing and cutting out each of the letters multiple times, as indicated, is something I'd rather not do unless absolutely necessary. I looked for fuzzy alphabet stickers in the scrapbooking aisle (at 2 different Hobby Lobbies and one Michael's) and didn't find anything in lowercase. I did see some felt letters in the felt section at Hobby Lobby but they were all capitals. Any ideas? My next step is going to be check online, surely they're out there somewhere!

As for the "Sound Bins" I decided to get some nifty papier mache bags with cord handles. These will hold all the same items Karen lists for her sound bins and I think they will be particularly inviting to a certain someone here in this house! The only thing about them is that they are just a tad too small, so we will have bend the sound card slightly when putting it into the bag. I'm hoping that this won't be a problem. Once again, I only got three of them and plan on switching them out as needed. I think they're going to look fantastic sitting on the reading shelf!   

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 16 2007 at 4:27pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

That sounds great Kristin, you have made some great finds!! I am serching for the perfect "bin" as well at this point, the bags sound darling!! Have fun with it!

Blessings!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version