Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Nurturing the Years of Wonder (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Nurturing the Years of Wonder
Subject Topic: Geography Puzzles and Forms Cards Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 07 2008 at 2:57pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Jennifer I love the USA book idea! Great!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 08 2008 at 11:04am | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Mackfam wrote:

We used large paper to make the seven continents map and to complete each continent map. Those took a long time for each child to make, but they were quite proud of their work when they were done. I found the paper at Walmart - it wasn't that difficult to find or expensive to purchase.!

Do you know the dimensions of the paper? I haven't bought the Allison's maps yet.

Mackfam wrote:
We had the most fun with our US map booklet though. We used small square paper (the same kind you use with the metal insets) and each day the children traced a new state onto their paper. They labeled, colored and my 6th grader included an interesting fact - state bird, state tree, trivia - on each state's paper. I encouraged the use of appropriate stickers - like we got a some really neat bird stickers and we used those to add state birds on some of the booklets. The kids enjoyed using stickers. When they finished the states, I put the booklet together by punching holes and using small binder rings. I'd like to go back and have them add more information to them.

I was planning to order that inset paper because I saw all kinds of possibilities for it! Presently I'm having the kids trace the Lauri puzzle pieces onto 4X6 index cards which works fine except for Alaska which is huge! Either the Montessori puzzle pieces are smaller than the Lauri ones (I don't think that's the case though) or the inset paper is bigger than a 4x6 card.

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 08 2008 at 11:05am | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

lapazfarm wrote:
My dd made a world map. We used a big roll of butcher paper and just tore off what we needed. She traced the pieces and then painted them in and labeled it. She enjoyed it a lot and is very proud of it. I blogged it here.

Dear Theresa,

That blog post is great!

Where do you get butcher paper, btw?

Thx!

Brenda (mom to 6)

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 08 2008 at 11:13am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Thanks, Brenda. I'm not sure where the paper came from. We've had it for ages!I think maybe I got it at a yard sale or something.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: May 09 2008 at 9:34am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Brenda,
My paper is 16" by 22". My puzzles are from Alison's and they are about 22" by 18". All of the continents and countries fit on one piece of paper. The brand on the paper is "Crayola."

The inset paper has to be one of the best purchases for us this year. I use it for EVERYTHING!!! It's size is perfect to stash in a small bag or purse with my small set of beeswax crayons for coloring and creating in boring waiting rooms. I used it for the metal insets - another big hit here. And each of the children enjoy using it in a variety of ways. My daughter loves doing her sketches on them. I think some of its appeal is in its small size. They do like the colors as well. I ordered this Inset Paper Assortment from Montessori Services. The Inset Papers are 5 1/2" square. A couple of the states didn't fit on one square. I taped an additional piece (not always a whole paper) of inset paper to the area needing overlap so that it can be folded up and out of the way and the booklet is still neat and tidy. Maybe you could do that with your index cards if those are working out well for you!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 09 2008 at 3:41pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Thanks for all the help Jennifer! I didn't think the insets would be so popular here but maybe I should re-think that?

Off to place a paper order!

Brenda (mom to 6)

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 01 2008 at 6:46am | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Resurrecting this thread once again!

Are the maps (from Adena, Montessori Outlet, etc.) all the same size, i.e. 18" x 22"? Adena has them listed in centimeters .

I'm thinking of getting the puzzles from Adena & the Cabinet from Alison's. Has anyone done that? Just love that extra storage space!

Thank you!

Brenda (mom to 6)

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Aug 01 2008 at 8:15am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I love the cabinet from Alison's, Brenda!

My maps are from Alison's and measure 22 1/2 x 17 3/4. I believe all the maps are roughly the same size. There are some variations with the control maps between vendors.

Now, the measurements you really need are of the Alison's map cabinet - assuming they haven't changed the dimensions (and it doesn't look as if they have from their website)...

The cabinet holds 12 maps and can accomodate anywhere from 21 1/2 to 22 1/2 in width and a depth of up to 17 3/4. Sliding my maps out a quarter of an inch to visualize what your 18" maps would look like in the cabinet doesn't look funny at all. You really can't tell it's sticking out because it's such a small amount.

Hope this is helpful! My maps and map cabinet have been one of the best investments we made!!!! We use them for everything and the cabinet is so lovely!!! You will enjoy your purchase, I know!

And....in case you didn't see this awesome find that Kacky made - check out the toothpick flags for the countries.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 02 2008 at 6:24am | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Thank you so much Jennifer!

I saw that cabinet quite awhile ago & it's been on my mind since then. It just seemed to be worth the extra $ as it's so practical.

I think I'll call Adena at some point & ask them for the puzzle measurements in inches to make sure their's fit. Does anyone think there's a big difference in quality between Adena's maps & Allison's?

Those toothpick flags are an amazing find!

Brenda (mom to 6)

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 17 2009 at 9:04am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Adding a couple other posts from other threads:

SuzanneG wrote:
We're very happy with the Kid Advance puzzle cabinet and puzzles that we have!! They only hold 8, so it's def. shorter than the ones that hold 12.....sifnificant if you want bigger kids to stand at it. We use the top for other things, and never work at it like that.

Although, I just looked at it, and it looks like the one they have now has a bigger "free space" at the bottom than the one we have, so it WOULD be taller, so that's not a factor anymore. Still holds 8, but the same height as the Alison's one.

The wood on the cabinet looks nice, and has held up well so far. The puzzles "bow" a bit......sink down....and i don't know if that'll have long term implications, so far....it's no big deal, they slide in and out just fine.
We also have the labeled control maps.....they are $3 each.    I need to get them laminated....they get a lot of use, and need to be protected. I complained about that....so, maybe they changed it .

I've had good cust serv from Kid Advance.

From the Montessori or Geopuzzle thread in "Across Time or Place"

Mackfam wrote:
I have some thoughts.

The Montessori puzzles are large and expensive. They are NOT a necessary feature of the home schooling experience. They are a very nice addition if it fits in your budget.

The Geopuzzles are nice, but they are not comparable to Montessori puzzles. If you're on a tight budget, the Geopuzzle maps are fine!!! Can you tell I'm trying to be very careful about giving the impression that any learning room that is not outfitted in Montessori puzzle maps is somehow lacking???

Ok --- so just so everyone knows what we're talking about, let me link to an example of Montessori Maps

**Montessori Puzzle Map of the World

image credit Alison's Montessori - Geography Map Cabinet

These are the ways we use our map cabinet and what makes the Montessori maps unique in my opinion and a wonderful asset to the learning space:

**Large wooden construction - They're sturdy! Mine have been picked up, accidentally dropped, and are still doing well after 2 years of non-stop use. Each piece of the puzzle has a tiny wooden pincer knob attached to it. Not only is this good for little guys learning small pincer grasp and refining motor skills, each piece is easy to pick up and put back exactly. There is no fumbling for little fingers trying to hold a piece, line it up and somehow smosh it in place. I will say in the interest of full disclosure that some of my puzzles are slightly warped. It has never bothered us tremendously, nor does it affect the puzzle. I didn't buy Neinhuis puzzles (mucho expensivo $$$$) so I didn't expect Neinhuis quality.

**A cabinet gives them a permanent home in our learning space. They're always accessible...always. That means we grab a puzzle daily - whether it's the 4yo learning his continents, or the biggers working on Africa, or someone on a rabbit trail grabbing a continent or country piece to trace around for something...they are always available (read...not in a box and tucked on a top shelf somewhere and forgotten by me )

**Control Maps are useful helps. Because the Montessori maps are all unlabeled, control maps are helpful. I spent 15 minutes with a sharpie and an atlas labeling ours. This is how the children learn the countries. 3 sets of unlabeled control maps came with mine, I only labeled one. The others can be used on top of cork making push pin map features, or pin the saint to his country, or pin the travels of St. Paul, or pin the flag to the state/country. You can pin geographical features, etc. Lots to do with the control maps. Having one unlabeled control map is great for playing quiz games.

**The maps are used both as puzzles for learning continents and countries by removing pieces and learning names, but also as traceable items. Having that pincer knob means that little hands can be taught to hold the pincer and trace slowly and carefully around the piece. That is enough of a work in itself. Older children can color and all sorts of detail. You can make mini books of countries of a continent or mini books of the US states - we did this and had such a great time. After tracing a state or country, add details to the paper, flower, bird, flag, saint, etc. We also take all the pieces off the map the children have been working on and I time each person to see how many countries they can name and successfully place. This is great in a home with competitive children!

**Studying history goes hand in hand with geography in my house. So, if we're studying a region, we're tracing it with the maps, and adding details pertinent to that period of history.

My suggestion for anyone considering purchasing these is to buy an entire set of maps and cabinet all together. If you have a handy husband, you could EASILY make your own cabinet at home, but the maps themselves are quite detailed. Some of the pieces are extremely small...you wouldn't be able to duplicate the level of detail needed to make these useful if you made them at home...at least not unless you had some laser guided precision cutting gizmo...    Save and purchase all the maps you will need at once...if you're purchasing a cabinet, buy it at the same time.

Alison's Montessori always has a special going on, and used to honor a homeschool code for a discount. They are a family owned company and they homeschool themselves (or at least they did last year). It would be worth it to give them a call and ask them what kind of codes and coupons or discounts are available. They are great to work with, and when I've had problems with my orders in the past, they bend over backwards to make it right quickly. This has been my experience at least.

Overall, you can surely tell that I love the Montessori maps. There are a number of past threads here about these and the way others use them...I'm sorry I don't have time to search and link for you right now, but I know they're here - from the continent boxes which are GREAT to the different ideas many have come up with to use these maps in their homes. Here are just a few from a quick search. That should get you started with an idea anyway.

Hope this helps you discern, Marilyn! They are useful...yes!!! But not necessary...especially if it will blow your budget!!!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 4
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version