Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Nurturing the Years of Wonder (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Nurturing the Years of Wonder
Subject Topic: Geography Puzzles and Forms Cards Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 15 2007 at 11:23am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

One other difference I noticed. The knobs on the Alisons puzzles are wooden and the ones at Kid Advance are plastic. Not sure if it matters, but just FYI.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 15 2007 at 4:54pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I bought a whole set of the clearance puzzles from Alison's- very nice, just did not come with the control charts. I plan to buy the cabinet separately when we move. The puzzles were only $20. Buying them separately from cabinet and putting the set together myself still turns out to be cheaper, I think, than buying the package deal, even with the 10% off. Just another option.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 20 2007 at 4:36pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

I have the cabinnet and the maps from kidadvance sitting at my house, but I have not seen them (but dh has) as I am 2000 miles away . Otherwise, I'd report in on them.

I really wanted the Alison's set, but I forgot about adding in the shipping costs from NY to WA, which there was more of a difference than I thought. Anyway, that's the route I went....I'll report back when we get home in a few weeks.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 20 2007 at 4:45pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Oh Suzanne- It's so good to see you! I hope you guys are having a great vacation.

How torturous that your happy's are sitting at home without you

I am glad to know you ordered the set from KidAdvance though! Shipping for me from Alison's will be quite expensive as well.

Still not sure where I will order from, or if I will even get to order them. Much to consider here...

I am glad you checked in on us though    Can't wait til you get home to give us your thoughts. Have fun!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 21 2007 at 3:54pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Alright...anyone...

I have combed the internet, googled everything I can think of, searched every single online album I can find...

I cannot find the purpose for the control maps on the puzzles. Is there a purpose beyond the obvious "remove a piece and place it on the control in its place??" I mean, it seems the puzzles are self-correcting to me, so why the control maps? I know some are labeled and the maps themselves are not, so I can see a purpose there. Is there something else I'm missing though?

And also, why does Alison's offer 3 of the same unlabeled map? Why 3? Anybody know?

Has anyone ordered their maps from Montessori Outlet? I think the maps themselves are quite pretty, and I could order the controls at a separate time if they're not really needed except to identify the names of the continent/country.

Anyone have an opinion on any of this???? I've almost got it narrowed down and this is my one last hang-up.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 21 2007 at 5:53pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

That is actually a very good question, that I've not really seen the answer to myself. I know that my children (my son and daycare children) do take a lot of time to line up the pieces on the control map - there is something about putting the pieces together without the frame that helps them make the jump from needing the frame to not needing even the control map (ie tracing the pieces on plain paper without the control).

The older kids do use the named maps to match up name labels and eventually write out the names onto their own maps.

That's all the input I can give... I actually only have one control map that didn't match the pieces of the puzzle, so I flipped it over and made my own anyway - then I have a 'real' paper map with the names of things for the kids to use.

If anyone knows the purpose for the others, perhaps I'll buy or make the other ones... I am hoping to be in Montessori training next year, and then maybe I can answer this question for everyone!

~Jessica
Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 21 2007 at 6:19pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Jennifer, the only thing I can think of is the need for multiple materials for a classroom, so that more than one little person could be working with the puzzle map at the same time??? I know this isn't really in keeping with children working independently on the material, but maybe they can use the control with the Continet cards while someone else is doing the actual puzzle. Just a bit of muddle-puddle for you here

Maybe we'll find the golden answer through our online class with Karen at Montessori World, sorry can't find the link at the moment...Jennifer???

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 21 2007 at 8:02pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Interesting. I'm not sure what to do. I'm going to call Allison's tomorrow to get some scoop about coupons - how long they'll last. And also about the world map and other maps. In the pics on the site the world map looks like it is a different color wood than the other puzzles. I know, I know, I'm too picky.    But, it bothers me, I'm so visual - I need it to match .

My dh thinks I should just order from Alison's since I'm going to have to order piece-meal, and while they may not have the *best* price, they're fairly competitive and when all the sales are over and I'm still buying they'll still be competitive. Plus, the puzzles come with the ever-mystical, completely ?useless? control maps - 3 of them! Ooh!!!!!!!!! Inspiration just hit!!!!!! Oh my stars I'm so excited I can hardly contain myself! I can post one of them on a cork board for my stick-pin flag map I bet there's other potential for them. Ok- I'm sold!!!

Oh - BTW - were you looking for the link to Karen's Worldwide Album Class? Here tis'

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 21 2007 at 8:10pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

One purpose would be to use them as a guide when building the puzzles on a mat, rather than in the frame. Sort of like how you use the picture on the box lid of a traditional puzzle. In fact, the presentations I have say to build them this way (on a mat) rather than in the frames, though they do not mention using the control maps as a guide.
I am not sure of the reasoning behind three unlabeled control maps, though I will try to research this and find out.
Could be that you use them up (consumable) and would want them for different activities as the child ages. I also think for use with multiple children or multiple activities it might be nice to have them. For instance one child may use them as a simple matching game, puzzle piece to map, while another would place little animals on the correct continent or country,while another may wish to match name labels or flags, or as a control for a map coloring activity.Having multiple maps would allow you to set up several activities at once.
I do think I will go ahead and label one set of controls, and then have 2 sets unlabeled, but I am not sure yet as I do want to do more research on their uses.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 21 2007 at 8:13pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I talked to Alison's about the maps, and the owner mentioned that the control maps can be used for tracing. I understood him to mean that you could put a piece of paper over it and trace out the map yourself. Maybe I"m off base with that.

Alison's sells to lots of schools, so I would guess that there are multiple control maps so more than one child can work with them at a time. Matching up the pieces to the control is a great idea- plus, when the kids take all the pieces out and you are looking at the big blank spot, it is so very nice for mom to be able to look at the control and see where the pieces go.
But my kids like to match up the pieces with the big laminated world map we have mounted on a huge piece of foam board (so it can be carried all over the house). They like to compare the colors: pink Russia, blue Russia! That is somehow a thrill for them.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 21 2007 at 8:24pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Oh you guys, this is so helpful. I am really excited about the control maps now. I'm definitely going to laminate!!!!! There will be *no* consuming going on here    I'm hoping to have one as an unlabeled control, one as a labeled control labeled with my handy-dandy label maker, and one as my flag-pin map! Terribly excited now. Thank you all so much! I knew you guys would be able to help me!

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 14 2008 at 7:33am | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

SuzanneG wrote:
I have the cabinnet and the maps from kidadvance sitting at my house, but I have not seen them (but dh has) as I am 2000 miles away . Otherwise, I'd report in on them.   

Just wondering if you are able to remove the wheels off the cabinet so that you can set it on a shelf?

This was such a helpful thread!!

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 14 2008 at 10:29am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

BrendaPeter wrote:
Just wondering if you are able to remove the wheels off the cabinet so that you can set it on a shelf?

Yes, they can be removed. The cabinet comes unassembled (if I remember correctly), so you just wouldn't put the wheels on.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 14 2008 at 8:06pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Thx Suzanne!

I'm so bummed that this rack is not large enough ...

Brenda (mom to 6)

hopalenik
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 14 2008 at 8:47pm | IP Logged Quote hopalenik

Does anyone know anything about the maps from Montessori Outlet or Adena Montessori? And just as a rehash-so the control maps are actually important and useful?

Thanks,

Holly

happymama
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 16 2008 at 11:20am | IP Logged Quote happymama

Holly, here's a picture of my kids using the control maps, which I labeled. They were from Alison's. One thing about the control maps that is very helpful is being able to label things like oceans, so the child can mentally place the continent. Remember, the puzzles are completely unlabeled!

I think now they are sending 2 with each puzzle. I have 3 each and I guess for right now I'm just planning on using one per child... or something like that!

They are big, too big for my laminator - I wonder what it would cost to take them somewhere to be laminated?

Back to Top View happymama's Profile Search for other posts by happymama

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 16 2008 at 9:52pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

hopalenik wrote:
Does anyone know anything about the maps from Montessori Outlet or Adena Montessori? And just as a rehash-so the control maps are actually important and useful?

Thanks,

Holly

Holly,
It's been very slow-going labeling my control maps...much slower than I anticipated , but we have used the control maps. I quizzed from the unlabeled one. I'm also making a set of small laminated labels that can be kept in a bowl for a labeling activity to use with the unlabeled control map. The labeled maps work well when the children are learning the placement of various countries/states. So, yes, I've found them useful. Hope this helps.

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 07 2008 at 11:47am | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

I've read in one of the Polk books about how her students "made" maps. I'm assuming she has them trace each country. Has anyone done that? Wouldn't you need to use a very large piece of paper?

btw, we did get the Geopuzzles from Timberdoodle & they have worked out well too.

Brenda (mom to 6)

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: May 07 2008 at 1:13pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I read that too Brenda and decided to have my kids make their own maps.

We used large paper to make the seven continents map and to complete each continent map. Those took a long time for each child to make, but they were quite proud of their work when they were done. I found the paper at Walmart - it wasn't that difficult to find or expensive to purchase.

We had the most fun with our US map booklet though. We used small square paper (the same kind you use with the metal insets) and each day the children traced a new state onto their paper. They labeled, colored and my 6th grader included an interesting fact - state bird, state tree, trivia - on each state's paper. I encouraged the use of appropriate stickers - like we got a some really neat bird stickers and we used those to add state birds on some of the booklets. The kids enjoyed using stickers. When they finished the states, I put the booklet together by punching holes and using small binder rings. I'd like to go back and have them add more information to them.

The maps were about the biggest hit here this year!

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 07 2008 at 2:56pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

My dd made a world map. We used a big roll of butcher paper and just tore off what we needed. She traced the pieces and then painted them in and labeled it. She enjoyed it a lot and is very proud of it. I blogged it here.
(my grandson started but did not finish his, which is fine. I knew it would be over his head anyway, but he enjoyed the parts he did.)

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version