Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: For those in skirts exclusively... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 20 2007 at 7:12pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

Frankly, I go barefoot in the house, and wear ballet slipper leather slip ons or sandals in the summer....in the winter, I wear a more loafer style square toed slip on shoe, or something with a slight heel, depending on what I am doing/where I am going.

This summer I am going to be buying some sandals from Lands End. These, but the catalog has them listed in a dark brown (my preference):

http://www.landsend.com/pp/SportLeatherCasualSandals-74286_1 66690_253.html?CM_MERCH=PAGE_74286&sid=0722151377471151080

The Lands End brand seems to wear well, so I am not worried about them conking out on me.

I suppose the main thing to consider is what sort of activity level you have/what you are planning on doing...I'm not going hiking or anything like that (due with twins in the next 6 wks sometime), and we'll be at home, or doing some moderate walking, so it won't be as if I need more "athletic" styled shoes.

HTH

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

MarieC
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 20 2007 at 11:21pm | IP Logged Quote MarieC

Welcome Nicole!

Shoes are an issue for me, too!

In summer I love my sandals...as soon as we're into the 50's I start wearing them!

This winter I took a hint from the earlier (LONG!) thread and got some low heeled boots. That worked really well. I also had some "school shoes"...just a plain brown shoe with a strap over my foot.

I never know what to wear for more active times so I'll be interested to see what other suggest. I'm talking about walks and hikes. My running shoes look so clunky but are so comfy and practical!

You'll find lots of encouragement here for making the switch!

Out in the Orchard
Back to Top View MarieC's Profile Search for other posts by MarieC

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 21 2007 at 6:18am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Rachel, Are those the Trellos you are getting? I kinda like those. (I'm not a huge fan of the Gator type shoes for anything but camping.)

I wear sandles, all the time, like Marie, when it's above 50! And flip-flops too. I find summertime in skirts and sandles to be so much easier than winter in skirts/tights/boot/ etc...

Suzanne, I will be up for the Moms Pure Fashion show the first week of June! :)   Can't wait!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 21 2007 at 7:14am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Nicole, it sounds like I do the same as Marie. As a matter of fact, because I do not have the money to spend on a large shoe wardrobe it's quite simple - sandles in the winter, boots in the summer. I do have a pair of running shoes that I wear for active times and of course my hiking boots for hiking, and yes, they look rather clunky, but hiking isn't necessarily a time to worry about fashion, IMO. Oh, I also have dress shoes for church - black heels for winter and cream for summer! Pretty basic, but it seems to meet my needs.

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 21 2007 at 7:20am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

This has been a good thread for me to read. With this latest pregnancy I suddenly found myself with no maternity clothes. DH and I thought we were no longer able to conceive and so not too long ago I gave a way all my maternity clothes. Boy was that a silly thing to do! Anyway, I did buy a few new maternity skirts but I am also borrowing some things from generous people. Trouble is, there are lots of pants and, out of necessity I have been wearing them. DH's opinion is that they are still pretty modest since most of my maternity tops are long enough to cover. The first time I put them on my 3yo ds just kept staring at my legs and he even reached out and touched them! It was pretty funny. I can't wait to get back into my skirts though. I really miss them!

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 21 2007 at 8:06am | IP Logged Quote juststartn

Becky, I posted a link for a modest maternity website not too long ago. I've bought two skirts from them, and they are nice, sturdy, and very comfortable. I got the twill skirts, and so far, so good. I've been really pleased with them. They have a variety of sizes, so it should be possible to find one that fits you...

I'll post the link again here...

http://www.modestapparelusa.com/mainpage-maternity.html

I got the skirts in the navy and khaki twill. The khaki seems to be a bit heavier weight than the navy, but not by a huge amount. They are both lightweight enough to be worn in the warmer months, and are all cotton skirts (the panels are poly/spandex, but it's not the itchy kind--more silky).

HTH

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 21 2007 at 8:15am | IP Logged Quote juststartn

Lisa, those are listed as the "Leather Sport Casual Sandals". They also have some nice ballet slippers at the moment (something like three pages forward in the catalog). I'm looking at the Trellos, just cause I need some new "out in the backyard" shoes...my garden clogs are biting the dust after three years of good solid use. I'm not a Birkenstock girl, so for me, that's about as close as I get...lol.

I don't hike even when not pregnant, so that's not something I have shoes for. LOL. I've had a foot injury, so anything more than gentle strolling can be painful after a little while....I have dress shoes just for church, the going out in public decent shoes, and the "I'm going to the mailbox/to do some weeding" shoes...lol.

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07

asplendidtime
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 21 2007 at 8:59am | IP Logged Quote asplendidtime

Someone asked about how not to look like a tent wearing skirts while pregnant...

My thoughts were that you should wear a softer fabric, either a knit or a lighter weave, so that it doesn't look as stiff. KWIM? If it lays nicely over your tummy, it won't look like a tent. And the cut of the skirt/dress can matter here too.

Mary 14,
Tim 13,
Jonah 12,
Josh 10,
Zoe 9,
Will 7,
Peter 6,
Laura-Mae 4,
Emily-Joy 2,
Genevieve & Gabriella 1
Back to Top View asplendidtime's Profile Search for other posts by asplendidtime Visit asplendidtime's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 22 2007 at 6:11am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Lisbet wrote:
Marilyn, when did Motherwear stop selling XS??? I have 3 great dresses from there in XS, but it has been about 3 years since I've ordered from there.    Ebay is excellent for nursing dresses.

Lisa - did you check out the web/catalog? I cannot find many items in XS. I will probably get a couple of items from Expressiva which does carry XS.

Confession - I have NEVER ordered anything from Ebay - do not even know how to!!!

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

onemoretracy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 22 2007 at 8:54am | IP Logged Quote onemoretracy

Cheryl wrote:

I modeled them for my dh and asked him what he thought and he basically told me he didn't like them, but of course, I could wear them if I liked them. I asked him what he liked and he told me skirts are great for winter, but in the spring he'd prefer shorts and capris. He said he'd like me to dress like a female golfer.

I'm fairly certain that I won't wear shorts, but I've worn my capris a couple of times recently when the weather was warm and I felt so good in them. Does this mean that I'm not called to wear skirts in the spring? Or does this mean I'm giving in to temptation?

IMO, it is important to consider your DH's preference. My DH hates for me to wear long 'bulky' skirts. I like them and think they are comfy, but he really dislikes them. I am pretty short so I am sure that is one reason, so I mostly stick with skirts that are between knee length and calf length. A tailored skirt can look very golfer-ish if it is in bright colors etc..Maybe you can compromise?

Personally I do not think capris are immodest (as long as they are not skin tight etc..), but if you feel convicted you must follow the Holy Spirit. Watch out for scrupulocity (sp?) though.

I am sure you and DH can compromise and find some things that are modest and attractive to him. I had to actually go shopping with Lee before I could really get a feel for what appeals to him. He likes bright and light colors. I used to wear a lot of black and brown because it is so much easier to match, plus I like black! Now I really limit it and look for light and bright things.

I hope this helps you, I saw your comment about your DH and I wanted to share my experience.

DS Ryan-9
DS Luke-6
DD Laine-6
DD Mary Clare-3
DD Sara (Dec.6 '08)
My Blog
Back to Top View onemoretracy's Profile Search for other posts by onemoretracy

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 22 2007 at 10:43am | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

onemoretracy wrote:
A tailored skirt can look very golfer-ish if it is in bright colors etc..Maybe you can compromise?

Thanks for your post, Tracy. I think I can compromise. My winter skirts were much more tailored than the flowy florals I bought for spring and maybe that is part of the reason my dh liked the winter ones. He's a high maintenance type that likes to look neat. I still haven't shopped for the warm weather yet and it's finally here!    

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

Mrs.K
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 24 2007 at 3:49pm | IP Logged Quote Mrs.K

Just a heads-up
Coldwater Creek has lots of long, lovely skirts in their outlet section. Many are less than $25. Also if you go to Coupon Cabin there are coupon codes there you can use to save even more.

My blogPondered in My Heart
Jesus,I trust in You!
Back to Top View Mrs.K's Profile Search for other posts by Mrs.K

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2007 at 10:07pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

What kinds of tops do most of you wear with your skirts? when I wear skirts to church I usually pair them with cotton sweaters, but most of them are too warm (even in cotton) to wear all day here in the South, in summer.
I'm heavy so I need some ideas that don't make me look even larger.
Karen T
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

Patty
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 06 2007 at 10:53am | IP Logged Quote Patty

10-12 years ago I went through a "skirts/dresses only" phase but now I usually wear pants for every day wear. I do wear skirts/dresses to Mass. Guess I'm the odd one here! I do admire your reasons for wearing dresses.

I found that, really, I was wearing skirts back then to copycat some other homeschooling moms, and not because God had called me to do this.   Also, I was hurt on a few occasions by judgmental comments from a couple of moms. It seemed they had a long list of rules you had to follow to be Really Holy...no makeup or coloring/highlighting your hair, no swimming, and heaven help you if you accidentally showed anything while nursing, even in a group of women only. All this dress wearing became equated in my mind with judgmental attitudes and legalism. So I stopped wearing skirts for every day, at least much of the time.

Please, please know that I am NOT accusing anyone here of any of these things! I just wanted to share my story. I see the ladies here as charitable and seeking God's will. I would like to wear skirts more this summer. They are feminine and modest. I would love to sew some.

One question: I've begun walking to help lose weight. Usually I wear some kind of workout pants and a big t-shirt. What do you wear to exercise? I have more thoughts but I'll save those for other posts.

God bless,

Patty   
Back to Top View Patty's Profile Search for other posts by Patty

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 06 2007 at 11:58am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

For Mass I wear something with sleeves, be it a blouse, sweater or acceptable shirt. At home, I am more casual and it's usually tee-shirts from Old Navy. I try to avoid V-necks for obvious reasons!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

KellyJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 08 2007 at 10:19am | IP Logged Quote KellyJ

Karen T wrote:
What kinds of tops do most of you wear with your skirts? when I wear skirts to church I usually pair them with cotton sweaters, but most of them are too warm (even in cotton) to wear all day here in the South, in summer.

Long sleeve tops or short sleeved ones with cardigans

Patty wrote:
One question: I've begun walking to help lose weight. Usually I wear some kind of workout pants and a big t-shirt. What do you wear to exercise? I have more thoughts but I'll save those for other posts.

For indoors, I usually wear whatever I'm wearing at the moment. Which is usually a dress or a skirt. There are times that I wear the sweats I sometimes wear under my nightgowns in the winter.

Outdoors, again, I usually wear whatever skirt or dress I've been wearing.

It's probably not the politically correct way to exercise, not just from a "fitting in" perspective, but from a sweat one, but it's what I do. If I'm expecting some serious sweating (i.e., certain settings/amt. of time on the treadmill), I tend to go with the sweats and change into a skirt and a different top afterwards.

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 14 2007 at 10:13pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Anyone interested in participating in a "Carnival of Everyday Summer Skirts & Dresses", please keep JUNE 3 in mind as the day for sending in your posts/pictures.

It’s a "Virtual Fashion Show for Moms!"

If you have pictures/posts of yourself in one or several of your favorite dresses or skirts that you wear for "everyday activities"....caring for children, doing housework, cooking, etc. please consider sending in a photo, or if you have a blog, send your blog entry to me by Sunday evening, June 3.

If you have a blog, but don't want to do a post specifically about this (maybe friends or relatives would "wonder"), you could just link to any general post with you in that outfit.

suzanneNOSPAMgallus at msn dot com

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 15 2007 at 9:07am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Wonderful idea Suzanne!! I'll try to get something together for you!!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 27 2010 at 6:56pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

SuzanneG wrote:
Anyone interested in participating in a "Carnival of Everyday Summer Skirts & Dresses", please keep JUNE 3 in mind as the day for sending in your posts/pictures.

It’s a "Virtual Fashion Show for Moms!"

If you have pictures/posts of yourself in one or several of your favorite dresses or skirts that you wear for "everyday activities"....caring for children, doing housework, cooking, etc. please consider sending in a photo, or if you have a blog, send your blog entry to me by Sunday evening, June 3.

If you have a blog, but don't want to do a post specifically about this (maybe friends or relatives would "wonder"), you could just link to any general post with you in that outfit.

OK so this is 3 years old but was this ever done? I missed it if so. How about we try it again? Suzanne are you up for it?

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 27 2010 at 7:52pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

MicheleQ wrote:
OK so this is 3 years old but was this ever done? I missed it if so. How about we try it again? Suzanne are you up for it?

Here it is! Carnival of Everyday Summer Skirts and Dresses. I can't believe I never linked it here.

We can always do it again!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version