Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: For those in skirts exclusively... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 14 2007 at 8:25pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

For those of you ladies looking for interesting sizes in nursing/maternity wear, have you tried "ElizabethLee.com"? A lady on one of my "other" boards suggested it for a rather nice maternity/nursing dress pattern.

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 14 2007 at 8:29pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

Ok, here's a link to Elizabeth Lees website:

http://www.elizabethlee.com/

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07

mavmama
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 14 2007 at 8:43pm | IP Logged Quote mavmama

I knew you all would have great insight....and I thank you all.

I guess it is a combination of several things, but I also know that the last 2 times I put on jeans, I was too uncomfortable and immodest-feeling (is that a word?) and I put my skirt back on before I went out of the house. That in itself is pretty telling, huh?
Maybe getting some summery skirts will help, and the split slip idea is very helpful...I didn't know how to deal with that.

I love the idea of a skirt carnival and would love it, so count me in! I'm off to the pattern catalogues to find some new patterns and then to the fabric store later this week. Thank you ladies! I am encouraged!

Back to Top View mavmama's Profile Search for other posts by mavmama

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 14 2007 at 8:54pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

Liz, I just got my Hancock's circular for the last half of this month...

THey have Butterick's on sale for $.99/ea from the 19-22, Simplicity's are $1.99ea from May 3-6, McCalls are $.99/ea with a limit of 5 from Apr 26-29th.

HTH! If you want to know what else they have on sale let me know if you are looking for something in particular...

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07

Maria B.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 15 2007 at 7:46am | IP Logged Quote Maria B.

Elizabeth:

What a great lesson for Paddy and really all of our kids. I will share this with my girls as well. Thanks for sharing.

Back to Top View Maria B.'s Profile Search for other posts by Maria B. Visit Maria B.'s Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 15 2007 at 1:04pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Marilyn, when did Motherwear stop selling XS??? I have 3 great dresses from there in XS, but it has been about 3 years since I've ordered from there.    Ebay is excellent for nursing dresses.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

Maria B.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 15 2007 at 1:11pm | IP Logged Quote Maria B.

Along these lines, how do we transfer this way of thinking to our daughters. I have six girls between the ages of 20 and 7 months. I have found some of my girls receptive to the idea. The teenagers are the ones who think don't like it. They are okay with me wearing skirts, but not themselves. "Mom that is so nerdy!". Don't get me wrong. My girls dress very modestly, but like their jeans. I have not insisted they wear skirts, just suggested it. My ten year old still prefers skirts, but I know the time is coming when she will want to wear jeans.

Back to Top View Maria B.'s Profile Search for other posts by Maria B. Visit Maria B.'s Homepage

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 15 2007 at 6:02pm | IP Logged Quote Lissa

Another skirt question--a couple of years ago, Target had nice long rayon skirts in floral prints for around $20. I haven't seen them in a while. Anyone have a favorite online source for those? I've looked around but haven't had much luck.

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 15 2007 at 6:24pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

No, but Ross will have great skirts around $5-10 pretty soon, maybe now for you California girls    Also have you been to that great Outlet Mall in Carlsbad yet, it's worth a trip for sure!!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Maturemomg
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 15 2007 at 6:29pm | IP Logged Quote Maturemomg

I have been skirts/dresses for maybe 15 years now?
I just like it better. Someone at church once asked me, and two other ladies standing there suddenly realized they have never seen me in pants!
Funny story:
My ds works on a submarine in the Navy. When we visited him, we got to tour it. I knew this was coming, I had bought a pair of capris to wear. Going down the hatch on a vertical ladder with nice Navy guys to help me, I WASN'T wearing a skirt. Anyway, the day we were going to go on the tour, I came out of the bedroom in my capris. You should have heard the hoots and hollers from my family! It was hilarious! Some of them had never seen mom in "pants"! Geez whiz! You'd think it was no big deal. Well, due to security reasons, we were unable to tour that day. Later, on another visit, we had the opportunity and I was NOT prepared with my capris! I went anyway (I did have some "leggings" on under my skirt and it all went just fine).

Yours in Christ,
Kathy
Back to Top View Maturemomg's Profile Search for other posts by Maturemomg

helene
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 15 2007 at 6:37pm | IP Logged Quote helene

Kathy, that is just the cutest story! What a fun family you have!

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 15 2007 at 7:27pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Maria B. wrote:
Along these lines, how do we transfer this way of thinking to our daughters. I have six girls between the ages of 20 and 7 months. I have found some of my girls receptive to the idea. The teenagers are the ones who think don't like it. They are okay with me wearing skirts, but not themselves. "Mom that is so nerdy!". Don't get me wrong. My girls dress very modestly, but like their jeans. I have not insisted they wear skirts, just suggested it. My ten year old still prefers skirts, but I know the time is coming when she will want to wear jeans.

Maria,
I searched and searched for what to do about the issue of modesty, finding myself completely uncomfortable in what I was wearing. Raising a daughter who was discovering her femininity was another motivator.

When I talked to my daughter about our change in dress (which we made about a year and a half ago) I talked to her about the beauty of the body - and the sacredness of a woman's womb. God grants woman the awesome privilege of carrying and nurturing a brand new life for 9 months within her womb. If you look through the Bible - all things sacred are veiled. Mysteries are contained within. The Tabernacle is not a tight, vacuum packed container, but is instead a beautiful covering that veils our Eucharistic Lord. The woman's body is deserving of no less reverence. It should be beautifully veiled in feminine dress. Modesty veils what is rightly hidden.   

Like you, I don't insist on skirts. There are some occasions that demand a pair of pants - like horseback riding! I just try to encourage femininity of dress.

I don't know if this has helped at all, its just been our experience.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 16 2007 at 7:13am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Lissa, I don't know if they are your area, but a friend of mine found skirts like you are describing at Meijers for around $20. She looks lovely in them!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 16 2007 at 9:46am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Kathy, I am sooo with you on that story! Up and down the companionway 40 times a day, I just make sure I'm usually the first or the last depending on whether it's up or down we're going! Yesterday was awful skirt weather though, we had a huge storm come through, calling for winds to 70mph, downpours, waterspout warnings and all. We had winds to 40mph, I'd say. The more intense cells went elsewhere but walking up to the beach for our Sunday Potluck Dinner was ridiculous! Marianna and Hal had to carry everything and I had to hold my skirt down, I was NOT in the mood for unplanned Marilyn Monroe impersonations!

I may be the odd voice out here, but I think the latest fashions show alot of promise! It's Spring Break Season down here and I've seen some of the cutest retro skirts and dresses on girls, and so many of them are wearing dresses and skirts around town and to the beach, we still see short shorts and a bikini top but she's more the odd man out (well, girl) in the crowd. None of the outfits will ever conform to the 1950's modesty links above or to the two fingers from the collarbone guidelines or whatever, but the girls look like girls and I find that refreshing and a step in the right direction.

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

Alice R
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 16 2007 at 12:57pm | IP Logged Quote Alice R

I have had good success at JC Penney online.

I have had a few people ask me "why are you always wearing a skirt?" Sometimes I give them a thoughtful answer which contains my Biblical/spiritual reasons.

Other times, I think people are asking a question without really wanting to hear an answer, ya know? To those people I just look at them and say "these are my clothes". Like, duh! I'm wearing my clothes like you are wearing yours.    Not snotty, just matter of fact.

I think spring and summer are GREAT times for skirts. They are cool and so comfortable. Capris are nice but a pretty skirt is so much nicer. Winter is harder for me because it can get cold but I've worn skirts (almost exclusively) since my childhood and I know how to stay warm-sort of.

Nice to see so many skirt wearers! I notice that feminity is coming back! FINALLY!   

Blessings,
Alice

orchdork
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 18 2007 at 11:38am | IP Logged Quote orchdork

I’ve been in skirts about 4 years now. I have only had one person ask this past year; why I wear skirts. Maybe the longer you wear them the less people ask???
I have a new reason with a funny story to tell the next time I’m asked:
I usually wear skirts even to do chores. A few days ago, some of our help didn’t show up, so I went out to help. It was chilly, so I put on a pair of my husbands insulated pants. I always wear my cell phone on the waist band of my skirt, so I thought I would do the same in pants.

Wow, did I learn a lesson. I ran in the house to use the rest room quick. As I pulled the pants up, my cell fell down and as I had already flushed, it was gone.

What a day, no employees and I had to tell my husband I flushed my cell phone.
Hope I didn’t offend!!
Jacque

Back to Top View orchdork's Profile Search for other posts by orchdork

MarieC
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 18 2007 at 2:14pm | IP Logged Quote MarieC

orchdork wrote:

Hope I didn’t offend!!
Jacque

You didn't offend me! I thought it was funny !

Out in the Orchard
Back to Top View MarieC's Profile Search for other posts by MarieC

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 18 2007 at 4:26pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

That sounds like something I would do, lol

So, what did DH say?

Or did he just laugh and shake his head?

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 20 2007 at 5:16pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

About the "Pure Fashion Show" for moms.......Everyday Summer Dresses and Skirts......

I got the Mr. Linky thing to work on my blog......so it should be easy! (ha!)

Let's do it the first weekend in June. Keep it in mind as you start pulling out your summer clothing. And, feel free to tell others about it. Anyone can send a photo or add a link.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

nicole-amdg
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 20 2007 at 6:31pm | IP Logged Quote nicole-amdg

All who wear skirts, I have a question for you, since I'm thinking about making the change...

What kind of shoes do you like to wear? My sneakers sometimes feel weird with skirts, but I don't want to wear the slip-ons I own all day, and I don't want to spend a lot of money on a new shoe wardrobe.

Or should I start a new topic for this?

(Still learning how to participate in the forums... )

Nicole
Back to Top View nicole-amdg's Profile Search for other posts by nicole-amdg

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version