Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: For those in skirts exclusively... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
trish
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 14 2007 at 2:06pm | IP Logged Quote trish

I've been in dresses and skirts now for 4 years this April. To me it was a modesty thing. I have hung onto one pair of overalls that I sometimes wear if I'm doing something heavy duty out in the garden or yard. The very few times I have actuall worn them in public I was EXTEMELY self conscious. I didn't like that feeling at all.
With skirts I feel more like a woman ykwim? Feminine.
When I made the switch I had just had our 6th child. It was easier to fit into a skirt than pants anyways and it hid alot of extras. . Nobody even questioned me. Not even family members. I thought it was kind of strange that no one said anything. But I think now if I would appear in pants I'd get alot of questions and funny looks. Especially from the kids.
And I would not feel comfortable at all. My husband likes me wearing dresses. He works in a job where he is exposed to all kinds of immodesty (retail) and he told me he really appreciates the fact that I don't cheapen myself in that way. It's a struggle men have to go through everyday.
I love wearing skirts when I'm pregnant. I think it adds to the special glow we have.   
Back to Top View trish's Profile Search for other posts by trish

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 14 2007 at 2:16pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Elizabeth, that was a beautiful explanation you gave your son. I will keep that in mind as my boys get older.

Trish, (first off, Welcome! ) I am really loving wearing dresses and skirts while I am pregnant too. I feel extremely feminine and I also feel like others, even strangers, treat me better, like a mother should be treated!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 14 2007 at 2:18pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Elizabeth wrote:
I invited Paddy to "people watch" with me.   

This is SO GREAT! An "exercise" every boy/man should be "exposed" to

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

trish
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 14 2007 at 2:23pm | IP Logged Quote trish

Lisbet wrote:
Elizabeth, that was a beautiful explanation you gave your son. I will keep that in mind as my boys get older.

Trish, (first off, Welcome! ) I am really loving wearing dresses and skirts while I am pregnant too. I feel extremely feminine and I also feel like others, even strangers, treat me better, like a mother should be treated!

Thanks. Love it here.

That's exactly what I feel like too.
Back to Top View trish's Profile Search for other posts by trish

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 14 2007 at 2:35pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I started wearing skirts almost exclusively about a year and a half ago. I knew I wanted to modify my closet selections, but didn't know how. I was seeking a gentle look - feminine and soft.    

I began to feel and move differently in a skirt. And much like wearing the veil, I felt covered, feminine. I felt like it was another outward sign that allowed an interior change of disposition. My daughter began wanting to wear skirts too.

Finding skirts was difficult at first. We operate a lot like most of you probably - on a very tight budget. Now, don't laugh at me, but I found the best deals at the Goodwill store. You guys are probably far ahead of me on this. When my aunt showed me some brand new coldwater creek shirts she had gotten at Goodwill and only paid a couple of bucks for them - I decided to try it out. I haven't turned back. I found Orvis, Colwater Creek, Liz Claiborne, Land's End - all the big names - in great shape - for little $$. I could replace all the missing stuff in my closet for very little.

Occasionally, I wear the one pair of jeans that I kept to climb into the attic for something. Sometimes, I think pants are just necessary for modesty in some circumstances.

I really can't wait to see some links or posts here about pregnancy skirts here. I haven't done a pregnancy in a skirt yet, and we're hoping God will bless us with another little one soon. Please do let me know how you all do pregnancy without looking like a walking tent.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 14 2007 at 2:51pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Mackfam wrote:
I began to feel and move differently in a skirt. And much like wearing the veil, I felt covered, feminine. I felt like it was another outward sign that allowed an interior change of disposition.

Jennifer - I love this description/explanation.   

And, Welcome!

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 14 2007 at 3:09pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Thanks for the welcome Suzanne. I have to resist the temptation to "just lurk." some threads just draw me out - and this one is so close to my heart!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 14 2007 at 3:50pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Anyone want to do a Summer Skirts and Dresses mini-carnival, of sorts? Or are we all burned out from the 14-pager and the "Week in Winter Skirts"?   

Everyday summer skirts or dresses that you wear around the house. Maybe your favorites from past years or something new you just got.

If you don't have a blog, send me picture/s and I would add it.

If you do have a blog, but don't want to do a post specifically about this (maybe friends or relatives would think you're crazy), you could just link to any general post with you in that outfit. (a covert operation )...we would understand the REAL meaning of the post!

Or maybe I could learn how to do the Mr. Linky thing.

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 14 2007 at 4:27pm | IP Logged Quote Bridget

How fun! A Pure Fashion show for moms! It will have to be the end of May for those of us in states where warm weather comes late.

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

Caroline
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 14 2007 at 4:28pm | IP Logged Quote Caroline

Lisbet wrote:
I'm going to do a blog post later about how I wear my Wrap Skirt during my pregnancy.

Oh, please do. I have one of these skirts and while I don't expect pregnancy in my immediate future (as I have a 4 month old!) I am hoping that this skirt will carry me through most of my next pregnancy. Plus, I figure I can convince dh to let me buy more if they are maternity clothing too.   

Caroline
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 14 2007 at 4:36pm | IP Logged Quote Caroline

SuzanneG wrote:
Anyone want to do a Summer Skirts and Dresses mini-carnival, of sorts? Or are we all burned out from the 14-pager and the "Week in Winter Skirts"?   

Please, please do this. I am starting to build my skirt collection (thanks to the thrift stores) but I haven't switched over completely yet. These discussions and your blogs have been so helpful to me.

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 14 2007 at 5:30pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

I love the idea Suzanne, but it's still really cold where I am. I second Bridgets recommendation for the end of May!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 14 2007 at 5:55pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

Mrs.K wrote:
Why do you think your husband wants you to look like a golfer? Are you a golfer? Is he afraid you won't be 'playful' (with the children or on the golf course)enough in the sunny weather in a skirt? Does he not like florals? The skirts don't seem so different from your winter ones. Perhaps he thought skirts were okay for winter, when we 'cover up' for warmth, but not for summer which for the rest of the world is time to reveal, not conceal. Would he like a different look? Perhaps he enjoys the sight of you in shorts or 'golf skirts', which is all well and good. But you may want to gently point out that enjoying your looks should be a private pleasure and that if he 'enjoys' your outfits other men may as well.

These are great questions. I'd say the answer is all of the above. I talked with my dh a little more around dinner time and I think the main reason is that he thinks I'll look out of place. I think he doesn't see many people wearing skirts in the warm weather (except his mom) I will start to pray about this.

And that carnival idea sounds great. I found it really helpful in the winter to see so many of you doing housework and caring for children in skirts. I'd also like to see some style options. And maybe it will motivate me to find some shirts and shoes. Was there a thread on sandals already?

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 14 2007 at 5:56pm | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

Hi Ladies,

Well, I am paying a lot more attention to all of this now that....drumroll....I found out this week, after 14 years of being a mom to boys....I am having my first GIRL!!! It has my head swimming with questions about feminine things like wearing skirts etc.....I really want to get through this summer, a very pregnant summer, in dresses and skirts...I have been making due with sweats and stretch pants this winter, (not a lot of income to spend on new clothes) and now that I am having a girl....and revisting threads like this...make me think I need to get with it here...I am having a DAUGHTER!!!

Thanks for sharing!

4 Lads' mom with baby GIRL due in Sept.

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 14 2007 at 7:12pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

I love this thread! My question is - has anyone found a good source of skirts for petites - I am only 5ft2 and take a size 2 (when not expecting ) I prefer elastic waist skirts - they can usually take me through pregnancy and post partum. I have got dresses from Eddie Bauer at the end of season when they are really on sale. I should probably look for sale skirts there too. I like Cheryl's skirts - but I am not sure if they will be too long.

Another question - I love dresses. Any idea where to get smaller size nursing dresses?

One more question - I am a wimp in the cold - I try to wear skirts but my legs get so cold - how do you keep warm on walks, soccer games etc.

My kids love me wearing skirts - they always comment. My daughter is a girly girl and would wear dresses/skirts all the time - problem is finding things for a tall thin 10 year old. (Lands End does have some very cute tiered skirts this summer for girls)

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 14 2007 at 7:33pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Marilyn
Have you tried expressiva or motherwear for nursing dresses ? They're very pricey though! And if I remember correctly very long. You can google modest clothing and come up with a number of hits from home-based businesses - mothers and daughters who sew modest dresses and could probably sew an investment dress or two in a length that would be perfect for you.

As far as cold weather - here's what I do. I buy a couple of pairs of leggings from Walmart in the fall when they come out. They're usually in the lingerie section. They're sort of a feminine version of long underwear. Works great under skirts and with knee high socks. It's warmer than pants to me! Also, I like Vermont Country Store for nice thick cotton tights. They come in nice colors like navy and tan for wearing with the standard uniform (you know denim skirt or jumper) and they're very warm. You can dress them up or down.

Also, I have a very tall, thin 10 year old daughter as well. I can't buy skirts for her at any store!! But she loves skirts. I don't know if you have access to a sewing machine, but what I'm about to suggest requires the use of one. I go to the thrift stores/Goodwill stores on the nicer ends of town where the well-to-do but frequently-bored-with-their-clothes folks drop off stuff. I buy my daughter skirts that are long enough, and then take in the waist with a small dart on the waistline. You just have to sew up the waistline, and I do it in the back so it doesn't bother the drape of the skirt in front. She loves them! Sometimes I can even find a skirt with an elastic waistband that just needs a smaller piece of elastic to form a smaller waistline. It's the only way to find a modest skirt that's long enough for her. Dresses are a different story entirely. My only luck has been through consignment sales. I can't afford to buy the Strasburg or Kelly's Kids name, but I've found that those brands (and others like them) are the only ones who still make nice, feminine dresses for girls. So, I buy them at the consignment stores, and I usually only buy one for spring/summer church dress and one winter dress. I've had really good luck so far though, so it must not be that hard to pick up these name brand dresses second-hand for reasonable prices. Check around where you are for a nice children's consignment shop.

Hope this helps some.

helene
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 14 2007 at 7:40pm | IP Logged Quote helene

Marilyn, I am also 5'2" and I really like the petite section at Sears and Macy's. I have given up on catalogs...it is too hard to guess the right fit. Nothing can replace that fitting room when you dealing with "short" issues! Sears in particular has very classy things that I have depended on over the years.

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 14 2007 at 7:56pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Mackfam wrote:
Marilyn
Have you tried expressiva or motherwear for nursing dresses ? They're very pricey though!
Also, I have a very tall, thin 10 year old daughter as well. Check around where you are for a nice children's consignment shop.

I love the both nursing stores - but they are very pricey. Motherwear does not carry XS - but I may get a couple of tops from them. Expressiva does carry XS - but I would have to catch one of their big sales as they are so expensive.

I got my dd's entire fall and Christmas wardrobe from a consignment store near us - beautiful dresses, skirts and sweaters. I went to try and get her spring/summer and it has closed - I was so sad!! All the consignment stores and thrift stores near us have closed. I will just have to try and drive out a little further - just no energy with all the contractions etc. I ended up spending more than my budget - got her a skirt and shirt from Lands End and a very nice Bonnie Jean Easter dress on great offer for Easter - I was on limited activity then and could not go around looking for consignment.

I do have a sewing machine (which I never use!) - I like your ideas.

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 14 2007 at 7:59pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

helene wrote:
Marilyn, I am also 5'2" and I really like the petite section at Sears and Macy's. I have given up on catalogs...it is too hard to guess the right fit. Nothing can replace that fitting room when you dealing with "short" issues! Sears in particular has very classy things that I have depended on over the years.

Thanks for the tips. I too cannot do online or catalogs - I am just not a standard size. The problem is I really have a dislike of shopping and especially malls - I just tend to get nothing when I go because I find it a little overwhelming!! But - I have to go get First Holy Communion attire for my twin boys - so maybe I will have the energy to look around.

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 14 2007 at 8:22pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

EBAY. Ebay for the dc's clothes, esp for nicer things. I found a lovely, inexpensive seller on there that sells LOVELY embroidered, SMOCKED dresses for girls--I've seen things up to 8/9....Yes, we can find things for the dds out there that are modest, for that size range, but it's beginning to get sparse...

And her auctions start at 12.99. I've bought four dresses from her, and they are absolutely WONDERFUL (I was able to get matching ones for my three dds, who wear 8s, 6s, 4s....they look niiiiiceeee.

If anyone wants the link, let me know.

Also, you can do searches on there for specific brands of dresses. If you know a certain designer makes dresses that fit your dc, then definitely go that route!! Save yourself a ton, just in the stress of running from store to store, not to mention gas, time....(and for the pregnant among us, energy..whew!).

Rachel (who buys quite a bit of her dds clothes that way)

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version