Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: I am so angry...Social Services came over Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
momwats8
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 05 2007 at 1:35pm | IP Logged Quote momwats8

Ruth -I am soo sorry!! We had a problem in Michigan with elderly neighbors who had no idea what homeschooling was. It was all cleared up but it made everyone stressed. It also made me very distrustful of my neighbors and paranoid about what time of day I would let them outside etc. i will pray for you for peace today!!

http://www.momwats8.blogspot.com
Back to Top View momwats8's Profile Search for other posts by momwats8 Visit momwats8's Homepage

esperanza
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 05 2007 at 1:51pm | IP Logged Quote esperanza

burneweb wrote:
Thank goodness I had just gone grocery shopping and the kids had eaten waffles and sausages for breakfast. There was still some on the counter, so I let him in. I asked him if the kids were that hungry, why would there be food left on the table?

to you, Ruth.

Tammy Gonzalez in VA
dh-Johnny
mom to Tara-'85, Noelle-'88, Jeremy-'91, Elizabeth-'93, Emma-'96, Dominic-'99, Gabriel-'01, Elijah-03
and Jacinta-06
Back to Top View esperanza's Profile Search for other posts by esperanza

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 05 2007 at 2:02pm | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

Ruth, I am so sorry to hear this. I will pray for your peace of mind.

But I also second MacBeth's advice. Never let them in the house. I made that mistake when DHS visited us over our adopted son. We were written up and went through a lengthy paperwork battle to try and have the charges removed. This happened almost three years ago. I still do not know who reported us.

And just this morning, DHS showed up on my doorstep again. The same investigator as before (she is the one who helped us with the adoption). She never sat down and never left the front room. I wonder how this will turn out this time.

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 05 2007 at 2:50pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Ruth, I'm so sorry this happened. And Carole, I'm praying that everything turns out alright for you!

Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 05 2007 at 4:20pm | IP Logged Quote Ruth

Well, not much got done today

Thank you all for your prayers and your advice. What a wonderful community of friends! I am so blessed to be a part of your lives.

I spoke to a few of my neighbors, and I'm confident 3 of them did not call. There is still the ones accross the street. I hope nothing else comes out of this. This has been such an emotional and draining day.

Carole, I will pray for you too. I am sorry this happened to you this morning. Let's ask St. Agatha to intercede for us.

God bless you all.

Lots of love.

mom to 7 miracles

My family blog

Loreto Rosaries
Back to Top View Ruth's Profile Search for other posts by Ruth Visit Ruth's Homepage

Anne McD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 05 2007 at 4:21pm | IP Logged Quote Anne McD

Ruth,

I am so sorry this has happened to you! I'm always worried someone is going to call SS on me-- I yell too much and I can't keep the kids in line when we're at the store. Back to no yelling and renew my HSLDA membership!

I''m so sorry you had to endure this!

James 8
Katie 6
William 3 1/2
Benedict Joseph 1
and baby on the way! 10/14
Back to Top View Anne McD's Profile Search for other posts by Anne McD

Mrs.K
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 05 2007 at 4:32pm | IP Logged Quote Mrs.K

Ruth, I'm so sorry this has happened! I will pray all turns out well. It is so sad we have to live in fear and paranoia. Yet blessed are the persecuted.

My blogPondered in My Heart
Jesus,I trust in You!
Back to Top View Mrs.K's Profile Search for other posts by Mrs.K

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 05 2007 at 5:37pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Ruth,
I just told Court about it and he said, "Obviously, it was someone who has never seen their mother!"

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 05 2007 at 5:39pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

Oh, Ruth,, so hard for you! I will say prayers for your peace of mind. And for you, oo, Carole.

Jeanna
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Feb 05 2007 at 6:13pm | IP Logged Quote Jeanna

Ruth,
Gosh how awful! This is the sort of thing that makes me want to buy a house in the country despite how much I love living in town. I will keep your situation in my prayers and your's too Carole.

dd11; dd9; ds7; dd6; dd6; dd4; ds3

"There is only one tragedy in the end, not to have been a saint."
- Leon Bloy
Back to Top View Jeanna's Profile Search for other posts by Jeanna

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 05 2007 at 8:06pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

It's very sad when unfounded suspicion brings such distress to lovely people like Ruth and Carole. We've been blessed with supporting family and neighbors who are never home . You're in my prayers, for sure.

We used to worry more about this kind of thing at our last duty station (fearing that a disgruntled person would attack dh by reporting us to the county on unfounded charges), but here we are doing well, so far.

The truth is, though, we're no safer from false accusations than were the early Christians (like all those lovely young ladies who were denounced after refusing to marry pagans). I think it's a wonderful idea to invoke their intercession at this stressful time.

Sigh.

My prayers are with all of you lovely ladies who've had to endure this kind of persecution. You are brave and wonderful.

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 05 2007 at 8:06pm | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

Thank you all for your prayers. I really do appreciate them. It is just so disconcerting to know that you are at the mercy of the people who placed this child in our home.

Ruth, I am adding this to our St. Joseph's novena.

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 05 2007 at 8:08pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

Ruth -

What a lousy day! I'm so sorry you had this happen. It is just ridiculous the way people can stick their noses in and see issues where there are none. I am praying for your peace of mind. Tomorrow should be a better day.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

momtomany
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2007 at 7:13am | IP Logged Quote momtomany

Ruth, I'm praying for peace for your family.
How sad and ridiculous!!

Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2007 at 8:19am | IP Logged Quote Ruth

Thank you for your prayers and support. It's unbelievable how one person's actions can affect so many people. The kids are a nervous wreck, my husband is not handling it well; he had a panic attack last night, and that's never a good thing. My neighbors are sad and hurt because I asked them if they were the ones who called. I couldn't get much school done yesterday, and today we're probably going to lose another day. I'm going to COSTCO this morning and stocking up my freezer.

I can't even talk to my mom about it, because she's always complaining that my kids are too thin, and says that my dd, who has IBS, is anorexic

People just don't think. They don't realize the consequences of their actions. We've narrowed it down to a family near us, whose only child id obese. They have asked our girls out to dinner a few times. Last month she came over and was questioning why I didn't let our 17dd date, she lets her 12 year old date, or why I didn't put the kids in school.

Now we have to show our children how to get past the hurt and learn to forgive. Unfurtunately, until we know for sure, we can't let our girls over there, and now her daughter will probably be hurt by it.

Now I'm off to finish cleaning the rest of the house and go grocery shopping. God bless you all, dear friends

mom to 7 miracles

My family blog

Loreto Rosaries
Back to Top View Ruth's Profile Search for other posts by Ruth Visit Ruth's Homepage

kristina
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2007 at 8:29am | IP Logged Quote kristina

Ruth,

I am so sorry you have to deal with this. You and your family are in my prayers.

God Bless you,

yesterthoughts
Back to Top View kristina's Profile Search for other posts by kristina

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2007 at 8:36am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Ruth, I am so sorry you are going through this, I know just how hurtful and confusing it all is. You are right, people don't stop to think about the consequences of their actions.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

insegnante
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2007 at 9:39am | IP Logged Quote insegnante

Oh dear! That is so ridiculous and awful. No one here is notably thin, but once DH and the boys were playing out front and DS (age 4) was knocking on the front door wanting to ask me for a glass of water. He misunderstood something DH told him and ended up going over and knocking on the neighbors' door and asking them instead for some water! Good thing DH was out there playing with the boys. No judgment on anyone letting her 4-year-old outside alone, but in our environment it doesn't work, so one of us is always with them. I guess DH's attention was more immediately focused on our 2-year-old though, so the neighbor called over to DH and asked if he could give DS some water. DH explained the misunderstanding but the neighbor was just amused and asked if he could give DS a bottle of water anyway and did. Even then the thought crossed my mind what if he thought we had been refusing to hydrate our child for some reason, but we have a decent relationship with them, and having raised 3 kids of his own the neighbor probably knows silly things happen.

DS also recently had a visible injury (bad bruising around cheekbone/eye from falling and hitting a hard part of the couch) on a Saturday afternoon that I was so relieved the pediatrician didn't think was ER material when I called, partly because DS was so upset when he heard us talk about "the hospital" and partly because of the suspicion thing. I was quite at ease visiting the pediatrician on Monday to get it checked out, because they have both knowledge of accidental injuries and a long, pleasant history with us, and just "intuition" about what child abuse looks like I guess. I was afraid that ER people would have to "err on the side of caution" or something without knowing us and it might have added to suspicion if DS was really scared and upset about being there, whereas he was cheerful and chatty at the pediatrician's (confidently declaring that he did not need any shots.) I was actually more concerned about the public than the pediatrician since presumably most people don't even know how to assess what is likely to be an accidental injury. (Where he hit himself is one of the more likely places to be hurt in a fall.) He had an X-ray that confirmed he didn't fracture anything, but he still has some much lighter bruising in the area over a week later.

Theresa
Back to Top View insegnante's Profile Search for other posts by insegnante

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2007 at 9:50am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

burneweb wrote:
Social services just showed up at my door. They said someone complained that my kids were too thin and weren't eating enough and asking a neighbor for food.
Oh Ruth how scary! My kids are all rail thin and I found out recently from my sister-in-law that some in my dh's family think we don't feed them enough! But she assures me she has set them all straight since she observed when she was here for weeks at a time over the last few months, that my kids eat all the time!

Dh and I were both very thin for years. It's caught up with us now .

MacBeth wrote:
Oh, it's a long story (and, in retrospect, very funny), and it really has nothing to do with the kids being out day-to-day. When Paul was 4, and I was away on a speaking engagement, my mother, Don and Don's sister-in-law all misplaced Paul, each thinking he was with the other, when he was actually walking around the block alone. When a neighbor found him, she called the police, who (I told you it was a long story) took Paul in search of his relatives.

Oh I remember this. We were in Memphis together when this happened weren't we. As I recall you got food poisoning that weekend as well. Not a great weekend for you! Though we did have fun.

guitarnan wrote:
The truth is, though, we're no safer from false accusations than were the early Christians (like all those lovely young ladies who were denounced after refusing to marry pagans). I think it's a wonderful idea to invoke their intercession at this stressful time.

This is a good point...though at least we shouldn't have to worry about being fed to the lions!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Genevieve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2007 at 11:32am | IP Logged Quote Genevieve

Oh Ruth, I just read this thread. I am so sorry this happened to you. I pray that your family will be able to return to a peaceful state of mind.

Love,

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version