Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Seeking advice for pregnancy Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
StephanieA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 20 2006 at 4:09pm | IP Logged Quote StephanieA

Back to Top View StephanieA's Profile Search for other posts by StephanieA

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 20 2006 at 5:06pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

Stephanie,

This has been the answer to prayer getting these honest, heartfelt posts. I hope God blesses you richly for taking the time! It means so much.

(Are you guys IN my life---what's going on here? The similarities are amazing....)

So much of what you wrote I could have written, too. It is so much the same. I really can't do 5 anymore either--- with 2 "babies" running around extremely noisily and demandingly. The house just isn't big enough or safe enough to "put them somewhere" !

And today: well, I just couldnt' do it. I announced to everyone I had to go upstairs and sleep in the PITCH DARK and they would have to wing it. I tried to squeeze in 2 subjects per child...quickly: religion and reading comp. before 11:00 AM. Honestly, I'm just at a loss, as you described. I wish a fairy (an angel, really) would arrive, but one isn't. This isn't a fairy tale. You guys are as close to fairy godmothers as I get. But that's pretty darn close, and I am thankful, so thankful.

NOTHING has brought me comfort like hearing from all of you and of our shared experience. It truly vivifies me. You are going through almost identical struggles and totally understand, and that alone helps. To have someone understand. And to give me "permission" to feel the way I do...crushed. But yet....ready to be revived, waiting, hopeful, expecting great things because of prayer. Because of all of you.

What you said about seeing the big picture. Ahhh...another great priest used to say that to me: "you don't see the big picture, you're focusing too much on the stress and details right in front of you, but wait 'til later....you'll see the fruits". I used to say, "Oh, I'm going to have to just believe you, Father, because it's hard to project myself into that place now!" "Let's hope!!!"    All I can see is kids falling away, kids damaged, mom having a nervous breakdown, dysfunction and victim-blame cycles that so much sociology and psychology just perpetuates in our anti-family, anti-authority times.   I know, it's awful I'm admitting this. I'm just admitting to you. Forgive me: it's just those dark fears. I mustn't dwell on it. Just take all those thoughts captive to make them obedient to Christ----- as I'm sure they're put there by the Evil One.

We must hold on!!!! We must. God knows what we are up against. And now: back to reality. Thanks again for writing.

and 2 yet-to-be-met
Back to Top View Nina Murphy's Profile Search for other posts by Nina Murphy

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 20 2006 at 5:19pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

I forgot to say...

Willa, you are too kind.

If that is so, then it must be because I feel peace, I am happy because we just celebrated Mass for the Enrollment of Kate in the Sodality of the Blessed Virgin Mary. They worked hard and prepared for a long time using Fr. Lasance's Book for Girls and doing the whole Montfortian Total Consecration to Mary. Kate is actually right near me in the picture, a little lower. Even though I am a giant, she took after the Murphy side and is not!

There are actually very few pics of me and that one, well, is the honest-to-goodness most recent from this summer, so YEA...you all "know" me now and better come up and hug me if you see me in person somewhere!

and 2 yet-to-be-met

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 20 2006 at 7:38pm | IP Logged Quote Bridget

Nina Murphy wrote:
Kate is actually right near me in the picture, a little lower. Even though I am a giant, she took after the Murphy side and is not!   

Nina, you so much fun and such a dear! I've been praying for you.

My best little early pregnancy tip is make meals in the crock pots then plug them in out on your deck or garage so you don't have to smell the cooking smells all day in the house.

Now I have to ask, I'm 6', how tall are you? Maybe we should arrange some future marriages among our children.

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

StephanieA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 21 2006 at 7:42am | IP Logged Quote StephanieA

Back to Top View StephanieA's Profile Search for other posts by StephanieA

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 21 2006 at 8:33am | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

This thread is so pertinent to all of us, I think.

Thanks for starting it, Nina!

I'm sending you ...

Can I bring over a meal - next week?

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 21 2006 at 9:52am | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

Well, guess what, Bridget? Me too. And I have the large frame to match.    And yet my children for some strange reason end up being pretty small at birth....my husband is 5'11" but most of his family is small (he's the giant in his family). My dad and his brothers in their prime were all 6'4". But you should see how my children all look like little Murphys. (I've tried hard to get one to look like my side! ... and I hear about it..."oh, no, not another one, mini-Brendan".)

Maria, you have ENOUGH on your own plate. I will not ever turn down offers for help, but maybe we could wait until you have Steve home for a while....and then you could come over with the kids to play/babysit while I go take a nap!

Do you have my number?

and 2 yet-to-be-met

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 21 2006 at 9:56am | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

Thanks for keeping the counsel coming, Stephanie. I really appreciate your sacrifice to sit and write it all out. It's painful at times to get these things out on "paper" and trust they will be well recieved.   I have to be very careful who I talk to....SO I NEED you all. Thanks for putting up with me.

God's abundant overflowing blessings to everyone...

and 2 yet-to-be-met

deleted user
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Sept 22 2006 at 8:40am | IP Logged Quote deleted user

Oh, Bridget:

The helpful "secret" was much appreciated....you brought to my mind the power of the crock pot and how I had forgotten it. You're right...it's crucial to get the meal prepared before one starts to expire mid-afternoon. Thank you for your practical suggestion!
Back to Top View deleted user's Profile Search for other posts by deleted user

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 22 2006 at 8:45am | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

It's 6:30 in the morning and I didn't even look at the computer. Sorry again.

(I wish Nicholas would just be himself, anyway! )

(And it would be nice if he was the one re-discovering the power of the crockpot! Ha!)

and 2 yet-to-be-met

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 23 2006 at 10:24pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Hi Nina

I have been researching prenatals and different vitamins over the last year. I have finally found a prenatal that I love - it is a liquid by Natures Plus (they have just brought out a range of liquids - I have also been buying the Liquid C and the children's multi for the toddler as it tastes lovely)It is called "Source of Life Prenatal Liquid" - has very good % of vitamins eg 800 of folic acid. It costs $15.95 for a 30 day supply. It does not constipate and the zinc does not make me nauseous. I am not expecting but I think I will able to keep this in.

Other vitamins/food that have been suggested to me and have helped with energy and general stamina and wellbeing:
- a magnesium supplement. I get the powder and make a drink before bed and it is so relaxing and helps with muscle tension and peaceful sleep. I get Peter Gillham's Natural Calm - in the same range there is one for expectant and nursing mothers
- eating a lot of protein - I used to prefer carbs and veg - now I eat a lot more red meat in particular and find I have more energy. Homemade chicken soup has kept me going through all the pregnancies
- coconut oil for energy - it is supposed to provide direct energy into the bloodstream - but I am not sure I would be able to keep it in if I was pregnant
- I do not take fish oils at all - because some of my kids have severe fish allergies - and I do not tolerate the fish oil very well. I am researching an alternative source of omegas - I sometimes do not react well to flax oil - and definitely would not toldrate the taste when expecting

Take care of yourself

Marilyn
Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 23 2006 at 11:06pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

Dear Marilyn,

Thank you SO for taking the time to write. Wonderful advice here. I have never even considered liquid vitamins; are they considered more easily absorbable? That might really be the ticket. I have a feeling most of what I take is getting flushed out (looking at my urine).

Right now, just thankful to God for each day with this life inside me....still going strong, I hope. One day at a time. I don't take anything for granted...

Have a blessed, peaceful Sunday!

and 2 yet-to-be-met

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 24 2006 at 3:17pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

as far as vitamins that are well absorbed.. some you can check out that aren't liquid

NF Formulas Prenatal Forte (this is the one I use and wow did it ever make a difference)

Rainbow Light Prenatals (it's a 6 pills a day one - I'm not sure of the exact name)

they're very similiar.. and make such a difference.. I was pregnant with #4 and was taking good prenatals just ones that were a much lower doseage.. and we moved.. I would have about 2 hours in the afternoon I would have to park the kids in front of the tv because I couldn't really trust myself to stay awake. New midwife recommended the NF formulas one and within a week of taking those I didn't even feel like I wanted a nap let alone how I'd felt like I couldn't trust myself to stay awake.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 24 2006 at 7:18pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

I am looking into THOSE--thank you! Wow...by Noon I'm pretty much done for so that would be a miracle. Thank you, thank you, thank you.   

and 2 yet-to-be-met

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 06 2006 at 4:42pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

Nina,

It's kind of off the topic, but I was searching for something completely different and came across this archived post on peace at hom and sleep deprivation. After thinking of me , I thought of you.

I hope it helps some. And now that Elizabeth has had her baby, I pray that the issues that caused her to post that are resolving themselves.

ETA: it would help if I actually linked to the post! Here it is. I hope!

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 06 2006 at 9:52pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

Thank you for thinking of me, you angel. Must have been a Holy Spirit moment.

My veins are really troubling me already (and not to get too personal, the legs aren't the most aggravating and troublesome area . I'm not sure what this means. I'm only 10 weeks! ???? I am so tall and of a large frame so it is hard to fit into those hose....     Already? Can this be my imagination?

No electricity here all day...we had to go out for the day. Gotta get to bed as I am one fatigued mommy. Thank you for praying. My husband and I need it so much.   

And I will pray for you, too!!!   

and 2 yet-to-be-met

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version