Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Please Join Engagement Game! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
asplendidtime
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 24 2014 at 11:27am | IP Logged Quote asplendidtime

CrunchyMom wrote:
It is sort of weird. I am the "young" one in my circle of friends, but I have been for many years and no new young one has really come along to take my place. So, all my friends still think I'm like 28 Really, I'm 34 and I think that I'm just a hair older than The Empire Strikes Back.

I am trying to do 40 Bags in 40 Days. I was losing steam at the end of last week, but I came across this GORGEOUS tiny house and after touring their spaces, I am newly inspired to get cracking again.

I'm a little older than Star Wars IV A New Hope which was only Star Wars then.    It didn't come to our Northern town until 1979, my parents took all four of us which was very special, but my brother and I were too little to remember much.   

Mary 14,
Tim 13,
Jonah 12,
Josh 10,
Zoe 9,
Will 7,
Peter 6,
Laura-Mae 4,
Emily-Joy 2,
Genevieve & Gabriella 1
Back to Top View asplendidtime's Profile Search for other posts by asplendidtime Visit asplendidtime's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 24 2014 at 11:36am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

OK after a bit of searching here's a couple of things that caught my eye..

Apollo 13 makes it home safely
Paul McCartney announces the break up of the Beatles
Nixon lowers the voting age from 21 to 18.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 24 2014 at 1:27pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

asplendidtime wrote:
My dh made me a set of small cubes for shoes and boots, using left over fence boards, so that fits into our closet by our back door. The children hang coats on hangers, but we previously before this home did hooks, and small baskets for each child's shoes, and hat. We now have a sturdy (not handsome) set of pants hangers, the kinds with clips which come with two piece kids clothes. Dh slipped many of these together so I will have eight or so in a long vertical row, we hang wet mitts and hats on the hooks. They dry great. Dry extra hats and mitts go in a deacon's bench.

Then I have two boys assigned to keep this area tidy. It's their job so if things pet bad they quickly swoop in and tidy.

How do your children hang coats? Do you have a lower rod or rod extender?

Right now I have nice coats and shoes for going out at the front entry. There is no space to either side of the door, so it opens flush to the wall and then the closet is immediately to the open side of the door. I don't think 5 winter coats would fit behind the door and it still open all the way. Right now we have hooks on the lower inside of the foyer closet door, but they are a mess, and it is really difficult to keep that door closed. Dh and I have our coats hanging on the rod and the shoes are in a hanging sweater sorter that is now sad and sagging. I was looking at this set up for inspiration, but when I see how low even dh's and my shorter costs hang, there is not enough room between them and the floor for a row of kids coats

Then, there are the muddy boots and play clothes. For a couple of years we had a false wall built in our family room to create a little mudroom area near the back entry. It was really dark and cramped, but we decided that after the experiment, we really needed the rest of the room in order to make it a usable space. It is not a very big room. The laundry room is off of this room, so they could walk through the family room/schoolroom to the laundry (which is where things are now)' to hang things up there. We recently removed the hot water heater (new ones fit in the crawl space), which gives us a bit of room, but it is a dingy and awkward space as it is, and I am not having good luck making order of it, nor are the boys readily getting their things in there. Sigh.

My front entry closet is the only closet on that level. I have a tiny under the stairs closet on the lower level that would be very difficult to use for coats and boot if it were not already full of art and school supplies. We do not have a basement, so I have all the seasonal/hand me down tubs in the boys bedroom closet with their clothes they wear in dressers, but I suppose we could come up with something for snow gear, though just having a place to dry it out is frustrating enough!

Anyway, I have devoted far too much of my brain cells this past month to this. I am ready for winter to go away so I can forget about it and live in denial until the Fall!

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 24 2014 at 2:59pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

SallyT wrote:
I'm the same age as you, Mary! I'll be 50 in November. I can remember thinking, on discovering the Beatles as a teenager in the 70s/80s, that I was as old as . . . I want to say, "I Want to Hold Your Hand," but it's some song like that that either came out or hit number one in November of 1964.

That is cool, Sally. We obviously share a collection of cultural memories.

Almost all the Beatle #1's were spring and summer that year (I Feel Fine was late December). For most of November, Supreme's "Baby Love" was number one - but one week it was Lorne Greene's "Ringo" which is one of those "talk" songs - not really singing. Hilarious to listen to.

Grateful in VA wrote:
Ooh fun. I'm coming up on the big 40 in June.

So far I have:
Happy Day's
The 6 million dollar man
the book "Jaws"
the song The Way We Were
Nixon resigning

Blast from the past! My baby sister was born that year, too - a week before Nixon resigned. As I was 10 years old, these are all things that I am aware of at that time. I LOVED the Six million Dollar Man (We can rebuild him....) - we have recently been watching the dvds so I could introduce my kids lol. I have waited YEARS for them to come out on dvd and only just happened in last 2 years. And "The Way We Were" was a favorite song - I still get nostalgic when I hear it.

SallyT wrote:
And even though I just thought of Watergate as this awful thing that meant there was never anything good on television,

Oh my gosh, that is SO true. I hated the Watergate hearings - they preempted all daytime television shows that summer...

CrunchyMom wrote:
and I think that I'm just a hair older than The Empire Strikes Back.

I was in high school...

asplendidtime wrote:

I'm a little older than Star Wars IV A New Hope which was only Star Wars then.    It didn't come to our Northern town until 1979, my parents took all four of us which was very special, but my brother and I were too little to remember much.   

First PG movie I ever went to. Mom had to think a lot on that before letting me.

JodieLyn wrote:
Apollo 13 makes it home safely
Paul McCartney announces the break up of the Beatles
Nixon lowers the voting age from 21 to 18.

So I was born when the Beatles came in...and you were born when they went out...

Thanks all - I love this stuff.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 24 2014 at 3:05pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

MaryM wrote:

So I was born when the Beatles came in...and you were born when they went out...

And there was only 6 years in between

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 25 2014 at 10:56am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I love the link to the small house. Whenever I see houses like this, though, I do wonder: do they books? toys? Kids?

If they do, where do they put the kids and their related items?

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

asplendidtime
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 25 2014 at 11:56am | IP Logged Quote asplendidtime

Crunchymom wrote:

Quote:
How do your children hang coats? Do you have a lower rod or rod extender?

We just use the regular high rod and a folding step stool, which doubles as a preschooler's chair for meal time, it's easy for him to climb and higher than a regular chair. We do fold it and hang it over the knob of another closet while not in use so the baby doesn't continually climb it or pull it down upon herself.

I will often get the hangers down for a little one and have them take their things off and then put them back on again and I will hang it up. But usually, it's just the hanging up part because they are usually on the stool getting their stuff out in the excitement to go outside! Coming back in for some reason isn't as exciting and takes more persuasion to get the job done right!

Mary 14,
Tim 13,
Jonah 12,
Josh 10,
Zoe 9,
Will 7,
Peter 6,
Laura-Mae 4,
Emily-Joy 2,
Genevieve & Gabriella 1
Back to Top View asplendidtime's Profile Search for other posts by asplendidtime Visit asplendidtime's Homepage

MelissaClaire
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 25 2014 at 2:18pm | IP Logged Quote MelissaClaire

We finally figured out coat and shoe storage a few years ago in our house. There's no coat closet and we live in a 3 level townhome. When you enter the house you are on the ground floor and it just opens to a foyer with a staircase and a hallway that leads to a garage and an extra room. We have a bench with hooks that holds grown up shoes and coats/diaper bag in the foyer, but the kids walk down the hall to enter the garage where there's a 9 cube cubby with pull out drawers and their shoes go in there. When you continue down the hall we've used the previously dead space under the stairs for a set of open lockers (like the one's previously linked) that my husband made that holds kids jackets and accessories.

The problem with our system is now that the kids feet are getting bigger and bigger the oldest ones shoes don't fit as well into the fabric cubes for the cubbies.

As far as age:
I'm as old as Wheel of Fortune, the first Monster truck "Bigfoot", Lyme disease, Microsoft, and it was the year St. Elizabeth Ann Seton was canonized.
Back to Top View MelissaClaire's Profile Search for other posts by MelissaClaire

asplendidtime
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 26 2014 at 12:49pm | IP Logged Quote asplendidtime

The 665 square foot house is neat!    Our main floor is that size, but we have an upper floor and basement. We have three bathrooms with a fourth roughed in, um this alone makes our house really wonderful!    We also have large closets throughout and that helps, even though we have thirteen in a smallish home. Anyway, thanks for the inspiration!

Mary 14,
Tim 13,
Jonah 12,
Josh 10,
Zoe 9,
Will 7,
Peter 6,
Laura-Mae 4,
Emily-Joy 2,
Genevieve & Gabriella 1

asplendidtime
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 26 2014 at 12:54pm | IP Logged Quote asplendidtime

MelissaClaire wrote:

As far as age:
I'm as old as Wheel of Fortune, the first Monster truck "Bigfoot", Lyme disease, Microsoft, and it was the year St. Elizabeth Ann Seton was canonized.

Great year!   

Mary 14,
Tim 13,
Jonah 12,
Josh 10,
Zoe 9,
Will 7,
Peter 6,
Laura-Mae 4,
Emily-Joy 2,
Genevieve & Gabriella 1

Booksnbabes
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 27 2014 at 10:30am | IP Logged Quote Booksnbabes

We finally received some rain! I do not think it amounted to much, but with warmer temps expected through the weekend, I think we will be seeing GREEN!   

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 27 2014 at 11:55am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

SeaStar wrote:
I love the link to the small house. Whenever I see houses like this, though, I do wonder: do they books? toys? Kids?

If they do, where do they put the kids and their related items?

That family has three (older) boys who share the loft. She gives a tour of the loft and shows where they keep their things. The tour of the entry shows where they keep their coats and boots.

They obviously do not homeschool, and they appear to have few books, but I imagine you *could* live that way and do most of your reading via the library and kindle.

I do not want to live in a small home like that. As dh said, he doesn't really want his guests to share their seat with pantry items, lol. But I do find it insoirational for how little I really *need* and how to be intentional about the space I have.

On that note, I have been looking to expand my wardrobe this Spring. The baby weight is NOT moving right now, and while I want to take measures to shift it, I just cannot go another season with only a handful of items, most of which fit poorly

I have been looking into "capsule wardrobes" and I think I really have a much clearer vision for things. It is still hard, though, when you have to start from scratch. I don't think I have a single short sleeve shirt I could wear in public . My white button up of 7+ years bit the dust two years ago, and it has been hanging in my closet mocking me all that time. My other button ups do not fit, but I think I could wear them as a layer over a tank or tee. Anyway, it is pitiful, as if feeling fat weren't bad enough. I am going to try to make a khaki skirt with some fabric
I own and go for a denim one if it turns out. There is just nothing out there that will work for me, and I'm really over paying good money for stuff I don't love.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 27 2014 at 12:42pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

What are you looking for in a khaki skirt Lindsay?

And does anyone have ideas for dinner.. I'm feeling flat out of ideas.

And my son was offered a short term paid position at the Boy Scout Camp so he's thrilled and may volunteer time around that short term as well to get to spend more time there. I just have to figure out how it'll all work for getting him there and home.. long drive.

-Sir Walter Scott

Booksnbabes
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 27 2014 at 12:53pm | IP Logged Quote Booksnbabes

JodieLyn wrote:

Tacos?

If we were going to be home, I would do a soup as the weather is cool and wet. We will be traveling however, so either pb&j or pizza for us, I have not yet decided.

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 27 2014 at 1:16pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

Slow to enter the race here...

I thought it was interesting to say people are not engaging.

From my perspective, people are way, way, WAY over engaging. Everyone is busy.

Busy has become the thing to be. Being home, relaxing, contemplating... None of these things are valued much.

I wonder if it only seems as though people aren't engaging because they are burnt out of it.

The average person has 8+ hours of engaging other at work. Phone calls, texts, emails, paper work, conferences, customer service and so forth. For kids, same thing, just school related. Then there's church, extraxurriculiars and so forth. And it all starts younger every year. When I was a kid no one got seriously into sport until 5th or 6th grade. Now if you have not had your kid on a team since age 5, they won't make the team in 5th grade. No one sent their 2/3 year olds to "school". They sure didn't deal with 3 year old class plays and such. And when people left work or school? They left it. They didn't have to check emails. If your boss or teacher didn't get the paperwork to you before you left, then they waited until the next day. You didn't get texts during dinner.

I also think what we think is engagement is inflated beyond reason by media hype. For example, I think engaging with 3-5 people a week outside my home is reasonable and normal. Engagement being more than noticing another person is out walking their dog. A short convo or whatever. But because of FB and the like, I've seen people get upset bc they have 300+ "friends" and <10 liked or commented on their post. It's no longer enough to have a few good genuine friends for support or validation. People need a stadium to feel acknowledged. Well there's only so many things that draw stadium sized crowds. And this is not a FB issue. It's true of "followers" on blogs or whatever, memberships, anything really.

Has it been considered that the ability to get and give a constant plethora of feedback has created an expectation that it should be the norm when in fact, even if it were, maybe it shouldn't be?

Just my thoughts. For me, the Internet has been very engaging, both virtually and IRL.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 27 2014 at 1:32pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Very interesting thoughts, Martha. I agree that it can all be overwhelming and has gotten way out of hand, especially with things like facebook.
Is it healthy to feel bad because a bunch of people you don't know and will never meet don't "like" your posts?

I also see many blogs that are started and then just fizzle out because it is so much extra work for the blogger to keep posting. The pressure is there.
Some enjoy it and thrive; others don't.

Lindsay- I did delve deeper into the small house and find the loft with the boys' stuff in it. It appeared the kids are older- though if they are older, how are they going to keep fitting into those twin size beds tucked into nooks?

There was only a smallish bookshelf, but like you said, there is the library.
I wonder if they have things like art supplies tucked away somewhere?

I don't know that I could or would want to live in that small a space with my family, but it is fun to look.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 27 2014 at 1:36pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Booksnbabes wrote:
JodieLyn wrote:

Tacos?

If we were going to be home, I would do a soup as the weather is cool and wet. We will be traveling however, so either pb&j or pizza for us, I have not yet decided.

Good idea. but we had fajitas last night.. but I'm thinking spaghetti.. nice cold weather comfort food without being a soup. I would never have come up with it if I hadn't posted though you know.

-Sir Walter Scott

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 27 2014 at 2:26pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

JodieLyn wrote:
What are you looking for in a khaki skirt Lindsay?.

A-line, flat front/side zipper, below the knee. Same for denim, but with denim, I'd also like it on the darker side in color. I know I am picky.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 27 2014 at 2:37pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

SeaStar wrote:

I don't know that I could or would want to live in that small a space with my family, but it is fun to look.

I am not sure that they do either, at least not forever. I think that they built the home when they hit a job loss and major financial crisis with the hope that it could someday be a guest cottage, moved to land they own (they rent currently, I believe) when they build their forever home some day. If one can make it happen, it would seem to be a good alternative to renting an apartment during such a time, yk? Much more personal with an investment you get to take with you. But I imagine that the habits learned living there within such limits will serve them well when they do!

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 27 2014 at 3:04pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

That inspiring small house that you posted, Lindsay? It says that she does homeschool.

Which is the part that has me amazed. She does a good job of clearing out things they are no longer using! I think I would still want wayyy more living books on hand, but not as much curriculum that I'm not brave enough to get rid of "just in case."

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version