Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Please Join Engagement Game! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 19 2014 at 3:55pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

According to my friend's Irish relatives, they had never heard of corned beef until coming to the US. Apparently, corned beef is Irish-American, not Irish-Irish The corned beef came from the Jewish butchers in the large cities, and the Irish homemakers decided they liked it prepared in the traditional Irish boiled dinner. I have not looked this up to verify it, but my friend has a lot of close family still in Ireland that she visits and who come visit her mother, so I assume she knows of what she speaks

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 19 2014 at 3:56pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

I have choir tonight after Mass, so it's plain ol' chicken-in-the-oven for the family who get to come home. Though, hm. Chicken leg quarters kind of look like a carpenter's square . . .

Mary, my oldest daughter and her middle-school best friend once ate rattlesnake jerky -- the friend's mother had it for some reason, in some kind of gift pack with other . . . exotic . . . kinds of jerky (alligator? kangaroo? stuff like that). No idea where it came from. I can't get past the ick factor myself (and I even like snakes -- I just think there's nothing deader-looking than a dead one), but googling "rattlesnake jerky" might pull up some sources, if you really wanted it.

Sally

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 19 2014 at 11:05pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

As of March 19 we've kept this game going with 121 posts and 1523 views! As my boys would say, "Killin' it!"

Tomorrow JP and I fly to see Devin and Michael in WA.      Dave is already there on business .

I wrote a post at my blog St. Patrick is my awesome relative and I think you'll like it. Oh, and scroll down if you are interested in pickled eggs and spring mental purging :)

Gotta pack! See you soon

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 20 2014 at 1:11am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Wave when you fly over.. have a good trip

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 21 2014 at 12:58pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Yes, Angie have a great time with the "kids." Wish we were heading that way as well.

SallyT wrote:
Mary, my oldest daughter and her middle-school best friend once ate rattlesnake jerky -- the friend's mother had it for some reason, in some kind of gift pack with other . . . exotic . . . kinds of jerky (alligator? kangaroo? stuff like that). No idea where it came from. I can't get past the ick factor myself (and I even like snakes -- I just think there's nothing deader-looking than a dead one), but googling "rattlesnake jerky" might pull up some sources, if you really wanted it.

Yes, it definitely is an exotic meat. It is a very western food and there are several restaurants in Denver that serve it. I'm just not sure if it is available outside of restaurant around here. I may have to go the route you mentioned, Sally and find it online.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 22 2014 at 9:20am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

So what is everyone up to this first weekend in spring? We have a quiet weekend - nothing we have to do. It is going to rain here today, but be nice tomorrow. I am hoping to clean out the flower beds and get the yard spruced up.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 22 2014 at 9:24am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Yardwork...hahahaha. We are supposed to get more snow on Tuesday!

If it snows on Easter, I promise I'll take photos and post them here.

Grateful in VA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 22 2014 at 10:20am | IP Logged Quote Grateful in VA

guitarnan wrote:
Yardwork...hahahaha. We are supposed to get more snow on Tuesday!

Same here...such a long winter.

I'm going to have to redo all of my usually perennial herbs this year. I lost most of my strawberries too.   

I'm sure spring is coming though...my cats have started shedding like mad and my daffodils are finally starting to sprout.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 22 2014 at 11:10am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

First Lacrosse game of the season and WE HAVE NICE WEATHER.. you don't know how amazing that really is. Usually, laugh at the miserable weather and say "of course, it's lacrosse season". But it's supposed to be about 50* today with light winds.. sunny.. specatators will wear sweatshirts but be reasonably comfortable and it'll border on too hot for our lacrosse players.. we're playing with 13 today so no one will complain of not enough play time.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 23 2014 at 10:31pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

We won!! 9-4. Should have been more, we had an awful lot of shots on the goal miss. Guess what the kids will be practicing this week

-Sir Walter Scott

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 24 2014 at 1:38am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Good for them, Jodie. Lovely weekend here - hope all of those who wanted to got a chance to do that spring yard work.

So...I have been thinking. I have a birthday coming up and will be turning 50 soon. Since it is one of those "big deal" anniversary dates I was hearing a lot last month about the 50th anniversary of the Beatles coming to America. And that got me thinking "Hey, I'm as old as the British Invasion." So, too young to remember it but it says a lot about the era I grew up in. Then last night we were watching "Saving Mr. Banks" and saw that "Mary Poppins" premiered in summer of 1964. So again I didn't get to see it until it was in rerelease years later (no dvd or even VHS in those ancient days - ). And well, it got me thinking about what else is as old as I am. And these are some other things that are 50 years old this year, too:

Ford Mustang
Buffalo style wings
Sea World
GI Joe

So what is as old as you???? Thought it might be fun to put ourselves into the era of our births --- but I know some of you are going to say Cabbage Patch Kids or Apple MacIntosh computer --- and I am going to feel really old.

Our Domestic Church

Grateful in VA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 24 2014 at 6:20am | IP Logged Quote Grateful in VA

MaryM wrote:
So what is as old as you???? Thought it might be fun to put ourselves into the era of our births --- but I know some of you are going to say Cabbage Patch Kids or Apple MacIntosh computer --- and I am going to feel really old.

Ooh fun. I'm coming up on the big 40 in June.

So far I have:
Happy Day's
The 6 million dollar man
the book "Jaws"
the song The Way We Were
Nixon resigning

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 24 2014 at 6:42am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

I'm the same age as you, Mary! I'll be 50 in November. I can remember thinking, on discovering the Beatles as a teenager in the 70s/80s, that I was as old as . . . I want to say, "I Want to Hold Your Hand," but it's some song like that that either came out or hit number one in November of 1964.

But my aged memory fails me, and I don't know if I'm just making that up now or not!

Janine, I remember sitting in the ditch in front of my house drawing the building across the street (I was taking art that summer), when a neighbor boy rode by on his bicycle and yelled, "Nixon's resigning!" And even though I just thought of Watergate as this awful thing that meant there was never anything good on television, this seemed mildly exciting, so I ran in to watch him resign.

Sally

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 24 2014 at 7:07am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

It is sort of weird. I am the "young" one in my circle of friends, but I have been for many years and no new young one has really come along to take my place. So, all my friends still think I'm like 28 Really, I'm 34 and I think that I'm just a hair older than The Empire Strikes Back.

I am trying to do 40 Bags in 40 Days. I was losing steam at the end of last week, but I came across this GORGEOUS tiny house and after touring their spaces, I am newly inspired to get cracking again.

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 24 2014 at 8:52am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

That is funny, Lindsay. I was in that position for years and years. I was young for my grade in school, so younger than most of my friends (one of my best friends in my grade was a full year older than I -- now she doesn't like people posting our high school pics on Facebook, because then people will know how old she is . . . like we didn't know anyway!). And for . . . decades it seems now . . . I was the youngest person in any group. Youngest person in choirs. Youngest teacher on the faculty. Etc.

Aaaaaaand now I have all these friends who are 20 years younger than I am, but have kids the same age as some of my kids! Some years ago when one of these friends had a baby, her mother brought her older kids to play at my house and introduced herself at my door as "Meemaw." And she was my age! Which was 43 or 44 at the time, so I really did think, "People my age are not called 'Meemaw!'"

Oh, I'd forgotten about 40 Bags. That was kind of a fail at my house last year. We started strong, but ended with a whimper. And the upstairs closet that did get cleaned out during that purge last year is somehow, mysteriously, impassable again now.

Sally

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 24 2014 at 9:31am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I fizzled last year, too, but I am on track so far this year. I numbered all my bags with a sharpie, so I have been pulling from the stack. I started with the bag numbered 40, and I have a dedicated garbage can I keep one in for garbage and a dedicated hamper for stuff to donate. The keep-but-not-here stuff goes on the bed in the sewing/guest room (I don't have a basement and the tiny garage is dh's workshop. I think I'm on bag 23, which seems about right.

Having an infant that doesn't nap independently makes it tricky to keep going, but I have been trying to stay motivated reeading articles. We listened to Peter Walsh's book several years ago now, but it is so important to be reminded of how the stuff and its maintenance is keeping us from enjoying and caring for the things we love and that affirm the lifestyle we want to live.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 24 2014 at 9:39am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Speaking of decluttering and organizing, I am really having a hard time with boots and coats. There just isn't a lot of room for a mud area, though we are currently trying to squeeze things into the teensy and awkward laundry I will be SO DARN GLAD to put the snow pants and heavy coats away Why won't Spring come for real???

I keep seeing "Ideas for Small Space Mud Area" that have a purse, and umbrella, and three jackets I have a slew of dirty boys and a dh with his own set of carharts and muck boots. Where did the people who lived in these 1950s homes keep these things??? I guess we are trying to squeeze a lifestyle more suitable to a farmhouse into mid-century suburbia

Grateful in VA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 24 2014 at 10:26am | IP Logged Quote Grateful in VA

CrunchyMom wrote:
Speaking of decluttering and organizing, I am really having a hard time with boots and coats. There just isn't a lot of room for a mud area, though we are currently trying to squeeze things into the teensy and awkward laundry I will be SO DARN GLAD to put the snow pants and heavy coats away Why won't Spring come for real???

I keep seeing "Ideas for Small Space Mud Area" that have a purse, and umbrella, and three jackets I have a slew of dirty boys and a dh with his own set of carharts and muck boots. Where did the people who lived in these 1950s homes keep these things??? I guess we are trying to squeeze a lifestyle more suitable to a farmhouse into mid-century suburbia

We have the same problem. Our house is pretty small. There is no mud room or laundry room. We have one of these at our entryway. It holds the basics for the kids. The overflow gets hung up in our eat-in kitchen where we have these. The were here when we moved in. I wasn't sure if I liked them or not(we only had our first 6 month old at the time). I have fallen in love with the added hanging space. When the coats and snowsuits are dry they get put into the kids closets until they are needed again.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 24 2014 at 10:41am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I have a wall behind (at a 90* angle) to the door.. so my dh put up hooks.. we screwed 1x2's to the studs in the wall and then put side by side double hooks up.. 3 rows with 5 on the top and bottom and 4 in the middle to stagger the coats a bit more. It's still crowded but at least stuff can be hung up at the door. Shoes are just annoying.. wet ones are generally set by the door and eventually they get put in bedrooms.. I try and have a tote hiding somewhere (behind a recliner or something) for hats and gloves, scarves can go on the hooks. When the heavy coats and snow pants are on the hooks we shift the lighter weight sweatshirts and fleece jackets to the bedroom closets.

If we even get to remodel the house.. that's one of the things that will be added.. a mudroom/entry area.. and I plan on more hooks the same as I have now.. but they'll be space under them for boots to sit.. and there'll be a big deep closet so that I can use it for a variety of things.. at the moment my plan is Christmas decor, Rendezvous clothing and Winter coats.. but we'll have to see when I have an actual space to work with

-Sir Walter Scott

asplendidtime
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 24 2014 at 11:22am | IP Logged Quote asplendidtime

My dh made me a set of small cubes for shoes and boots, using left over fence boards, so that fits into our closet by our back door. The children hang coats on hangers, but we previously before this home did hooks, and small baskets for each child's shoes, and hat. We now have a sturdy (not handsome) set of pants hangers, the kinds with clips which come with two piece kids clothes. Dh slipped many of these together so I will have eight or so in a long vertical row, we hang wet mitts and hats on the hooks. They dry great. Dry extra hats and mitts go in a deacon's bench.

Then I have two boys assigned to keep this area tidy. It's their job so if things pet bad they quickly swoop in and tidy.

Mary 14,
Tim 13,
Jonah 12,
Josh 10,
Zoe 9,
Will 7,
Peter 6,
Laura-Mae 4,
Emily-Joy 2,
Genevieve & Gabriella 1
Back to Top View asplendidtime's Profile Search for other posts by asplendidtime Visit asplendidtime's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version