Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Please Join Engagement Game! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
crissyb9502
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 27 2014 at 11:54pm | IP Logged Quote crissyb9502

I am very guilty of being one of those people who watch from the sidelines. I have loved this board for more than 3 years, and yet I never participate. I will try to engage more    And my birthday is in Feb!
Back to Top View crissyb9502's Profile Search for other posts by crissyb9502

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 8:04am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I'm so glad you jumped in, Crissy!

We do a combinatiion of family and individual sacrifices. No tv is the biggie. The winter months are when its heavy use sneaks up on us. And then we encourage the boys to make their own little sacrifices. Last year we filled in a calendar with different little sacrifices for different days, which worked reasonably well. It is especially good for the boys because they can actively give up something for a day instead of for 40 days, which is more manageable when you are small.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 8:09am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Here is a link to Maryan's post where she shared her calendar we used last year.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Booksnbabes
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 9:51am | IP Logged Quote Booksnbabes

We try to do a family sacrifice and give people the option of additional sacrifices if they wish. They are in charge of their extra sacrifices, though we do share what they are so we can aid one another in accountability. The family sacrifice is usually television or sweets as those 1) usually need a halt put to them about when Lent rolls around and 2) are easy to do as a group. We also try to add something to our prayer life--I think we will try daily family rosary this year again. It is one of those things that just hasn't stuck for our family.      I think enough of us are old enough now that it might just work. We also try to eat out less and give money to the poor box or rice bowl that we would have spent on eating out.

Our parish priest encourages a Lenten sense marathon where individual sacrifices are made for each of the five senses, and additional sacrifices are added as Lent progresses (approximately every four days, totaling 11 sacrifices). With the oldest preparing for Confirmation, and me not pregnant this year, we might give this a try.

ETA: link for the document explaining the Lenten sense marathon.

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 10:36am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Happy Birthday, Erin and Crissy!     

I just read a good article called "Your SIster or Chocolate" about Lenten sacrifices. It was funny- the gist being that a boy is giving up chocolate for Lent, and then his mother asks: Which would be harder to do- give up chocolate or try really hard to be nice to your sister every day for 40 days?

The boy is torn... not having to give up chocolate but being nice for 40 whole days.... he decides the chocolate thing is way easier and goes with that.

I read this to my dc, who were also in favor of the chocolate, which I believe should be telling me something...

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 11:16am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

SeaStar wrote:
I read this to my dc, who were also in favor of the chocolate, which I believe should be telling me something...

Yep, that they're smart kids to know it's much easier to follow through on something that isn't there 24/7 tempting you to mess up.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 12:48pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Everyone needs at least one seriously chocolate birthday cake!

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 3:11pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Fun story.

My son was hunting for his rosary. He wanted to pack it for this weekend and he couldn't remember where he'd put it after the last retreat he'd been to.

Well a shelf over the computer has a oval copper "dish" that we use for pens and pencils.. and it fell off twice today (it rarely falls off. Didn't really think about it at the time.

Until my dh found son's rosary BEHIND it. If my son had just looked before he'd shoved it back into place he would have found his rosary.

I'm thinking he was getting help (Guardian Angel?) and just not paying attention.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 3:18pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

How cool about the Rosary, Jodie. Go Guardian Angels! (Or St. Anthony ;) )

My 17-year-old wants to make this type of Rosary. He's been working with paracord but we need to find larger beads. The ones we got were way too small.

My 12-year-old got her ears pierced today!!

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 4:02pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Could also have been St. George. My son chose him for confirmation so the rosary has a fleur de lis as the center. St. George is the patron of Boyscouts, which is why my son chose him and that's how we chose the fleur de lis.

-Sir Walter Scott

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 4:04pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Stef, look for crow beads.. those are typically put on leather lacing which would be about the same as paracord.

-Sir Walter Scott

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 7:34pm | IP Logged Quote Mimip

Oh Stef, how exciting for her!!!!

Our girls, as per Hispanic tradition, got their ears pierced as babies and get so excited when girls get their ears pierced.

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 10:16pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Mimi, also as per Hispanic tradition, I got my ears pierced as a baby. :) Imagine my surprise when as a new mom, I found out they don't do that here at the hospital.

Thanks for the crow beads suggestion, Jodie!!

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 11:13pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

My 18yold dd is throwing an Oscars Party on Sunday. She is asking everyone to bring a food related to a movie that came out last year.

Got any suggestions???? Besides something frozen HA!

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

Booksnbabes
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 01 2014 at 8:13am | IP Logged Quote Booksnbabes

KackyK wrote:
My 18yold dd is throwing an Oscars Party on Sunday. She is asking everyone to bring a food related to a movie that came out last year.

Got any suggestions???? Besides something frozen HA!

I tried to think of something Hobbity, then resorted to Google. Here is a link to making a feast fit for a Hobbit. I think the lavender muffins sound yummy!   

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 03 2014 at 12:53am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Bumping on Sunday - Hey Angie, what are the rules here? - since the forums are closed until late night on Sunday it might not get bumped. Will that be a start over if it doesn't get bumped?

Trivial trivia for the night - it's Dr. Seuss's birthday.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 03 2014 at 2:05am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

And I think I qualify award for starting or bumping the most threads about pancakes in a single day...

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 03 2014 at 3:27am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Melinda wins the party planner award - as does Kacky for helping host an Oscars party and of course recognition in the birthday category also goes to our Feb. birthday girls, Erin and Crissy     

Jodie gets the super-hero mom award for mentioning it (and having the most posts so far in this thread) as does Lara for being a super patient mom with the reading...

The most changes in a single day award goes to Mimi and the most likely to be reading this in her pajamas award to Booksnbabes...

The most likely to need a caffeinated beverage awards go to Nancy and Caroline...

Lindsay gets the most encouraging/helpful award for jumping right in with great Lenten advise and resources.

Heather wins the "trying to think of an award I could win" award...we are hoping for that trivial comment...

Stef gets the funniest comment award for sharing her surprise that they didn't pierce babies ears in the hospital here...

Stepping out of lurkdom award goes to Crissy - so glad you posted again after all this time and we would love to have you join in much more frequently! And Rebecca gets the "Hoping to pull a member out of lurkdom" award... Lisa/Lisbet love to hear from you!!!

And of course the very cyber savvy, Angie wins the cyber engagement award...

Our Domestic Church

hmbress
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 03 2014 at 6:48am | IP Logged Quote hmbress

So, the weirdest thing has happened. I have felt in prayer that I am being called to blog again. It's been eons! But this Dominican vocation is bearing so much fruit, and the charisms are indeed prayer, study, and preaching. The motto is "To contemplate and share the fruit of that contemplation." So this is definitely one way to do that! It will be my primary Lenten thing, since it requires prayer to do effectively, fasting from time-wasting stuff to find time to do it, and is almsgiving as a spiritual work of mercy.

So, I've started with sharing a list of Lenten prayer ideas that I put together for our recent parish women's retreat. If you look and find it helpful, I'd appreciate even a one word comment to let me know you were there - it does so help us bloggers to know if our efforts are bearing any fruit!

Speaking of which, Angie - would love to chat about your concerns about cyber engagement re: your discernment of whether to keep blogging, perhaps on your other thread?

Booksnbabes
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 03 2014 at 11:00am | IP Logged Quote Booksnbabes

MaryM wrote:
...the most likely to be reading this in her pajamas award to Booksnbabes...

I would like to thank my family for making this award possible!   

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version