Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Blog Q&A: customizing banners with CSS Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 23 2006 at 6:25pm | IP Logged Quote Lissa

Cay Gibson wrote:
If you have the step-by-step instructions, I'd be so appreciative of you sending them to me.

Thank you!

Meredith, do you still have that email? I can't find it!

In the meantime, Cay, try this:

In Typepad, click the Design tab.

Click Manage Your Designs.

Find the Gourmet design (I'm assuming it's there since you had it set up before) and click & hold on Gourmet. Click on "CSS."

Paste this code into the box:

Quote:
#banner
     {
           height: 340px;
background: #99cc66;
           background-image: url("http://melissawiley.typepad.com/night7.jpg");

background-position: 15px 15px;
           background-repeat: no-repeat;
           text-align: right;

}

#banner-inner
{
    background: 0px
repeat;
}

.banner-user
{
     width: 70px;
     margin-top: 4px;
     font-size: 10px;
font-color: #ffffff;
}

.banner-user-photo { border: 3px double #fff; }

#banner-header
{
     margin: 0;
     padding:35px 10px 10px 0px;
     font-color: #ffffff;
     font-size: 32px;
     font-weight: normal;
     line-height: 1;
text-align: right;
}

Replace the URL for my banner image with your own. Hit preview to see how it looks. You'll probably have to adjust the banner height (see at the top of that batch of code?) and maybe the font size and other nitpicky elements. It's going to take some trial and error to get it adjusted right. If you run into complications give another holler!

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2006 at 7:29pm | IP Logged Quote Lissa

bump

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2006 at 9:04pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Lissa wrote:
Louise, Theresa, and Marihalo Jen--just wanted to let you know your sites are still in the webring queue waiting for your code to be inserted. No hurry, just didn't want you to think I was ignoring you!

Lissa,

No, I didn't think you were ignoring me at all! I just had to go and choose a different service for sailors, lots of cool features, for sailors, but for homeschoolers...I don't know. All compounded by my absolute newness to this techy-world, but I'd been pondering the idea of a blog for a long, long while now. So armed with your fabulous instructions I've been wading through this strange world.(and having a great time!)

My Sailblog server doesn't appear to have a place to place widgets or webrings or that cute TTLB counter thing I got my daughter all excited about before it was fully installed on my site but they're working with me...

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 24 2006 at 10:33am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Okay, slow process.
I'm exhausted and my mind is pickled mush.

I hope no one was watching all those multi-colored, multi-layered, multi-complex templates I was experimenting with.

My 8 yr old has been teaching my 4 year old all morning!
Is that possible? Will my 8 yr old actually end up teaching the 4 yr old to read?!!! The school system would be horrifed!

We're off to meet Dad for lunch and then we're stopping at the nursery to look for flowers and mulch to plant. That was my #1 priority when we got home from our trip. I don't know how the blogging took over.

My blog will have to stay as is until I get the "I wannas" instead of the "I don't wannas" out of my system. I really do miss my bright yellow template. But the Gourmet sidebars weren't as nice as the bright yellow and I still had those forks and knives next to each post.

Next question:

How do I get the blog description to the bottom of my banner picture? I see Lissa has a line at the bottom. I'd like to tweak it and get it lower. I do hate that the *C* is on top of the little girls face but I guess that can't be helped.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 24 2006 at 10:52am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Lissa wrote:

Meredith, do you still have that email? I can't find it!

Sending it to Cay now!! Rebecca's worked great with your directions so hope Cay can make it work too!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 24 2006 at 10:52am | IP Logged Quote Lissa

Cay Gibson wrote:
I really do miss my bright yellow template. But the Gourmet sidebars weren't as nice as the bright yellow and I still had those forks and knives next to each post.

Next question:

How do I get the blog description to the bottom of my banner picture? I see Lissa has a line at the bottom. I'd like to tweak it and get it lower. I do hate that the *C* is on top of the little girls face but I guess that can't be helped.

Cay, go to your weblog's main page in Typepad and click "Configure." Where your description is, add this before the text:

<br>

Put in enough of these to make the line drop as low as you want it. On my blog, it took about ten <br> to get it at the bottom.

I can help you get rid of those Gourmet forks & knives if you want, but I think your current design is nice too. I did love those yellow sidebars, though!

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 24 2006 at 3:02pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Lissa,
You are a dear friend...
...or perhaps a saint.

Today was my day to obsess.   

Once we got home, I decided to play around a little more while the children did table time. I have something I can "live" with...for now. I'm a little wiser and a little more knowledgeable...for now...thanks to you.   

I still miss my *yellow*. It was so cheerful and springy; but everytime I converted to it in the sidebars it distorted the whole banner and made the whole blog look messy.

We have First Communion preparation all this week and Graduation plans to attend to next week.

I'm going to leave my blog alone...for now.

Just wanted to thank you for your help, your time, your patience. You're a jewel.

mom to 5
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 24 2006 at 3:41pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Meredith wrote:
Sending it to Cay now!! Rebecca's worked great with your directions so hope Cay can make it work too!

Meredith, if it's not too much trouble would you mind sending the CSS directions to me too? Thanks!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 24 2006 at 4:23pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Not at all, coming your way!! Have fun!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 11:29am | IP Logged Quote Theresa

Oh my poor brain! I am so lost.   

Where do I even go to find a banner or do you just use a photo that you like and what about copyright?   

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 11:41am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Theresa in MN wrote:
Oh my poor brain! I am so lost.   

You poor dear! I can so totally relate.

Theresa in MN wrote:
Where do I even go to find a banner or do you just use a photo that you like and what about copyright?   

My banner photo was taken from a painting I found on Karen E.'s blog. Copyright? I'm assuming that paintings are like written pieces. Anything written/drawn before a certain time is not under copyright law and is in the public domain. But I often assume wrongly.

I think the banners of blogger's children are the most precious things but I like "my painting" and had such a hard time getting it up there that I'm not willing to mess with it.

mom to 5

Theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 11:56am | IP Logged Quote Theresa

Cay, I like your picture too.

Have you ever been to Shanon's blog Rocks in my Dryer? I love her banner or other fun banners like that but I am assuming they are made by someone?

Cay, I also like your striped background and do have a background that I like but I cant figure out how to get it up! I did upgrade to the pro so I should be able to do that.

Wanna come over and help?   

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 6:06pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Theresa in MN wrote:

Have you ever been to Shanon's blog Rocks in my Dryer?

I it!!! What a great banner.

Theresa in MN wrote:
Cay, I also like your striped background and do have a background that I like but I cant figure out how to get it up! I did upgrade to the pro so I should be able to do that.

You got it up, huh? Your blog is looking great, Theresa.

mom to 5

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version