Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Introductions 2012 - "Hi, I'm..." (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 09 2012 at 9:18am | IP Logged  

Welcome and happy anniversary tomorrow.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 09 2012 at 2:27pm | IP Logged  

Welcome! Congratulations for all the family milestones, and blessings on your new homeschooling journey.

Sally

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Nov 09 2012 at 4:12pm | IP Logged  

Hi Monica! It sounds as if you have a good plan for your son. What a blessing that you were able to figure out what was going on with him and how best to help him! Moving at his personal pace will be such a help and confidence booster.

Happy Anniversary!

I am moving this thread into our 2012 intro thread.

kungfusi
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 8:56am | IP Logged  

I've been meaning to post an intro for a while, and then life interfered!

My name is Patty. I'm the daughter of Cuban exiles, and have grown up hearing that nothing is as good as it was in Cuba. ;) I'm a cradle Catholic, but was just a cultural Catholic for a long time, i.e., until my father passed away. That sad event pushed me closer to the Church, and I was blessed to have the best Catechist on the planet. I'm married to my very best friend for 17 years, and have three wonderful children that I have homeschooled from the start. E (dd16), S (dd13), and F (ds12). Let's see...what else? I'm a Catechist. I taught 1st and 2nd grades for five years, and this is my first year with the 8th grade Confirmation class. I much prefer teaching the older kids. So much to discuss. I have a huge class this year (26 kids), and worry about not connecting with every one of them on a more personal level. As a family, we all study kung fu, hence the username.

As homeschoolers, we kind of lean towards a relaxed classical approach, that is somewhat Latin centered, although we've been slacking for a while. The kids had been petitioning to learn Korean, so we are trying to focus on that. It's been fun, and we get to count watching Korean dramas as school time...well, not really. lol

I'm happy to be here and look forward to participating!

+AMDG+
Back to Top View kungfusi's Profile Search for other posts by kungfusi

Nique
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 9:52am | IP Logged  

Monica, you sound so organized! Maybe I can learn something from YOU!
WELCOME!!

Back to Top View Nique's Profile Search for other posts by Nique

Nique
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 9:54am | IP Logged  

Kungfusi, talk about interesting. I enjoyed reading what you shared with us. You are doing a great job!   
So happy you are here!

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 11:06am | IP Logged  

Welcome, Patty! Looking forward to hearing from you on the boards!

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

kungfusi
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 8:39pm | IP Logged  

Thanks for the warm welcome, Nique and Melinda!

+AMDG+

Patty

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 9:05pm | IP Logged  

Welcome!

And why Korean, Patty? My daughter is learning Japanese because she loves anime and manga, but she seriously enjoys Korean pop music, too. I could see her trying to learn Korean later on.

kungfusi
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Dec 04 2012 at 11:40am | IP Logged  

Hello, Nancy!

My daughters have been HUGE K-pop fans for three years, and have been avid K-drama watchers, too, so I kind of figured that they'd be clamoring to learn Korean eventually. We also live near a very large Korean community, and often shop at the Korean market. A sweet lady there has sort of adopted our family, and whenever we go there, she helps us practice our Korean (and she likes to feed us as well...lol). So, the hallyu fascination has completely transformed our whole family as I now cook Korean meals about twice/week on average! lol

My girls absolutely love Japanese culture as well. My middle daughter is especially into Manga and anime. She does amazing work on her graphic tablet, making manga or chibi versions of people. I read my girls what you wrote and they were all excited. They'd like to learn Japanese, too.

My son also loves Asian stuff--although his interest is more martial arts related. He loves all of the old Shaw Brothers kung fu films. He was interested in learning Mandarin or Cantonese, but yikes! I may just let him wade through those on his own! LOL

Oh, my girls love Taiwanese singer Jay Chou, too. Seriously, it's like they don't even live in America!

+AMDG+

Patty

kumukula
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Dec 06 2012 at 12:13am | IP Logged  

Hi! My DH and I have four blessings ages 1-5 including a set of b/g twins who are 3. We're open to more if it's God's will. We're enrolled with Seton Home Study School for kindergarten. Taking it one year at a time but by the grace of God, I see myself homeschooling all my children until they graduate from high school. I'm excited to be here and love the support these Catholic forums and homeschooling support groups bring!
Back to Top View kumukula's Profile Search for other posts by kumukula

monica4patience
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Dec 06 2012 at 6:45pm | IP Logged  

Patty,
My oldest is really into k-pop too! But then again she is Korean. As a teen she had photos of Korean guys all over her room! She was so excited with Gangnam Style. She saw Psy in concert while on her study abroad. Her take on the music video is very interesting.
She went to Saturday Korean school for several years as a youngster and then again in high school once she had her driver's license. The alphabet is relatively easy to learn.
Back to Top View monica4patience's Profile Search for other posts by monica4patience

Nique
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 06 2012 at 8:12pm | IP Logged  

kumukula,

How exciting - twins!! You have the motivation already, I think HSing is going to come naturally - your kids are blessed to have you!

kungfusi
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Dec 07 2012 at 7:52am | IP Logged  

Hello, Kumukula!

I'm brand new here as well. :) I'm considering using a lot more of Seton's materials with my 12yo son next year. He loves the Catholic content.

Time goes way too quickly. It feels like just yesterday, my children were so tiny and just learning to read. Now my big girl is 16 and looking at colleges. I'm not ready! I know enough to not let her in on the fact that my heart is aching over the idea of her leaving, but I'm allowing myself to state it here. lol You're in the best position ever...just starting out. It's such a wonderful journey!

+AMDG+

Patty

kungfusi
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Dec 07 2012 at 8:06am | IP Logged  

Hello, Monica4patience!

Haha! My girls' bedroom is overrun by posters as well. Right now, they've got tons of B2ST, some SHINee, Super Junior, Girls' Generation, BigBang, Jang Geun Suk (a favorite because of the dramas lol), and much much more. They have Jay Chou in there as well, but he's Taiwanese.

They were super excited to see Psy make it big, too! That's neat that your daughter was able to see him in concert. We know that he puts on quite the show. Last year the Korean consulate hosted a festival and concert in celebration of it having been the 20th anniversary of Korea's admission into the UN, so we all went to that, so they saw B2ST, Sistar, SHINee, 2PM, 4Minute, TVXQ, G-na, and I can't remember who else! They were over the moon excited. I on the other hand, was about ready to drop afterwards. I decided then that I'd have to have my head examined should I consider attending another general admission free concert. Oh, the disorder! lol I like buying a ticket and having a seat. I'll leave it at that.

That's so cool that your daughter was able to go to Saturday Korean school. There is something similar that we found near us, but it appeared to be for children already conversant in Korean. Either way, there was a schedule conflict. As a family, we spend, on average, 3-4 days/week at kung fu.

I have a friend whose daughter is also into K-pop, and they just happened to meet the pastor of a Korean Catholic church, and a few nuns while out at a restaurant. Upon learning that my friend's daughter was so into Korean culture, the priest invited her to come visit his parish and attend a youth group meeting there. My girls were invited to come along whenever that happens, and they couldn't be more excited about it.

As for the Korean, we're making slow and steady progress. A sweet lady at the Korean market was so excited to hear me speaking some Korean, that she gave me a great big hug. For several months we had been communicating via hand gestures. I was finally able to say more than just annyeonghaseyo and kamsahamnida! lol I basically told her what she already knew...ROFL, that my name was Patty and that I was pleased to have met her. Baby steps after all!

+AMDG+

Patty

Mrs. A
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Dec 07 2012 at 4:21pm | IP Logged  

Hello. My name is Lisa and I am the mother of 4 children ages 6, 4, 2 and 3months. We have just begun our homeschooling journey and are loving it so far. I am so inspired by CM's writings and can't wait to finish reading all six volumes (so far I've made it through vol 1 and half way through vol2).   We are actually not Catholic- we are Orthodox, but I hope it's ok for me to hang out here and glean wisdom from all you wonderful moms. I have learned so much already and look forward to being able to participate more in future.

Your sister in Christ,
Lisa

P. S. Can anyone tell me how to add a signature to my posts? I was trying to figure it out earlier and couldn't.
Back to Top View Mrs. A's Profile Search for other posts by Mrs. A Visit Mrs. A's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 07 2012 at 4:33pm | IP Logged  

Welcome Patty, kumukula, and Lisa!

You can add a signature to the posts by going to your profile. But new members need to make 10 posts before that option is available to you. So get posting!

That and other Frequently Asked Questions about the technical parts of posting on the boards can be found in the Technical Help FAQ thread.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

kungfusi
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Dec 07 2012 at 5:09pm | IP Logged  

Hello, and thank you, Mary!

Oh, and hello there, Lisa! Thanks for asking that question re: the signature. I was wondering about that as well.

+AMDG+

Patty

Mrs. A
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Dec 07 2012 at 5:59pm | IP Logged  

Thanks for the warm welcome!
Back to Top View Mrs. A's Profile Search for other posts by Mrs. A Visit Mrs. A's Homepage

Nique
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 07 2012 at 6:47pm | IP Logged  

Lisa, so happy you are here! What a beautiful addition you are to our "online" family Thanks for introducing yourself!!
p.s. I admire you for reading CM's volumes - while I find them heavy (alot of content) what little I do read, I always come away with something I hadn't known before...and it's all good!!

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 6
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version