Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Introductions 2012 - "Hi, I'm..." (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 16 2012 at 1:28pm | IP Logged  

Hi Anita, glad you are posting an intro - it's never too late to do that even if you've been here awhile. Hope to have you joining in the conversations!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

momto3girls
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 18 2012 at 6:38am | IP Logged  

Thank you for the welcome, ladies!
Back to Top View momto3girls's Profile Search for other posts by momto3girls

Karen
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 30 2012 at 8:00am | IP Logged  

Hi! I am a brand new home schooling mom of four beautiful children. My oldest dd is 10, ds 8, dd 5, and ds 1. I think I used my abreviations correctly. I started the year off using workbooks and assigning pages to do, but I was bored, and I don't think my kids were having a whole lot of fun with it either. Being a teacher, I had learned about learning through thematic units, so I began teaching that way, and we LOVE it. Then I found Charlotte Mason and Mater Amabilis and love this approach. I do not like giving "grades," so I'm looking into how I can better show my husband how the children are progressing. Probably in more of a portfolio style.

So I'm very excited to be here! Hoping I can get through all the threads I can to learn all I can!

Many Blessings,
Karen in Maryland
Back to Top View Karen's Profile Search for other posts by Karen

jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 30 2012 at 8:04am | IP Logged  

Welcome! Our kids are similar ages.

I am just finishing up my first year of full-time homeschooling. We love the Charlotte Mason style. In the past, like you, we did some workbook-heavy schooling and it didn't make for a happy or fulfilling time for any of us.

I think you'll love this board. So many faith-filled knowledgable women here!

C (12/2001), N (11/2005), M (5/2008), J (8/2009) and three angels
The Catholic Cup on Facebook
Back to Top View jawgee's Profile Search for other posts by jawgee

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 08 2012 at 12:37am | IP Logged  

Welcome to the 4 Real message boards, Karen. It is a great support for CM homeschooling, so we are glad you found us.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

rftravis
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 08 2012 at 3:45am | IP Logged  

hello, ladies!
im rachel, mama of two little girls, 8 months and 3.5 years, and wife to one wonderful guy who tolerates me rather well.

i am originally from new york and ohio, but we live in northern italy (my husband is italian and we live in his home town), which is not nearly as romantic as i am sure you are now imagining! we have a TINY apartment in a heavily populated area of mixed agriculture and industry. despite being a catholic country, practically no one stays home with their children, homeschooling is a brand-new idea and practically all children go to preschool- starting at two, if they can, and many are in daycare, the rest with grandparents. large families are looked down upon, including by my husband, which saddens me to no end...

i have been following this forum for a few months now, and have found great support and inspiration just from reading, without writing anything at all! i think i will have some BIG questions soon, especially because i will be returning to the states for july and plan to make big book purchases there for the year.

thank you for creating and maintaining this community!
Back to Top View rftravis's Profile Search for other posts by rftravis

Nique
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 08 2012 at 7:28am | IP Logged  

Karen, sounds like we can learn alot from YOU!

So you are here

Back to Top View Nique's Profile Search for other posts by Nique

Nique
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 08 2012 at 7:41am | IP Logged  

Rachel,

You sound so interesting!!

In Italy - wow! What an eyeopener to what you are experiencing all around you.

Your family is blessed to have a Mom who cares so much. Believe in yourself and know there are many who think like you all over the world!

The book that got me moving was written by Mary Kay Clark, "Catholic Homeschooling".

The prayer that helped get my husband on board was:

"Oh good St. Joseph, whose protection is so great, so strong, so prompt before the Throne of God, I place in you all my interests and desires. O St. Joseph do assist (say your husbands name here) by your powerful intercession and obtain for him from your Divine Son all spiritual blessings through Jesus Christ, our Lord; so that having engaged here below your heavenly power we may offer our Thanksgiving and Homage to the most Loving of Fathers.

O St. Joseph, I never weary contemplating you and Jesus asleep in your arms. I dare not approach while He reposes near your heart. Press Him in (your husbands name) and kiss His fine Head for him, and ask Him to return the Kiss when he draws his dying breath.

St. Joseph, Patron of departing souls, pray for him. Amen."

Pray this for your husband everyday, dear Rachel.

And know I am praying for you and your dear family!

xo

WithAllMyHeart
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 08 2012 at 5:08pm | IP Logged  

Hello!

My name is Jennifer. I'm a SAHM to two beautiful children (3yo Gregory and 1yo Eliza). My husband and I are hoping for another soon.

We are Catholic, and live in Duluth, Georgia.

We have just recently become convinced (aware?) that homeschooling is the right path for our family. I have spent much time on this forum researching, and already feel indebted to you ladies for the wisdom and experience you have shared.

I am so, so hoping to make some friends here. Our family is experiencing a bit of isolation in that we have not been able to find any other Catholic families to bond with locally. My husband and I are both cradle Catholics, but out of both our (large) families, only two in their 60's and three in their 80's still attend mass. It is such a comfort to me to find you all and know that 1. We're not alone and 2. We're not crazy (or if we are, at least we're not the only ones...).

Love you all already-
Jennifer

PS- Anyone who lives in the metro Atlanta area, I would LOVE to hear from you...
Back to Top View WithAllMyHeart's Profile Search for other posts by WithAllMyHeart

RyaneM
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 08 2012 at 6:49pm | IP Logged  

Welcome, Rachel and Jennifer!

I joined 4real when my oldest was about the age that your littles are now.

You will love it here!

Nique
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 08 2012 at 10:38pm | IP Logged  

Jennifer, you sound like such a kindred spirit

What a blessing you are to our forum family already

Praying you find some local HS'ers via 4Real.

hsinfljmj
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 25 2012 at 1:46pm | IP Logged  

Hi,

I am a homeschooling mom to 7 kids from 13 years old down to 12 months and expecting #8 in January. I joined this forum a while ago, but sort of wandered away, and now I am hoping to "stick around." I started out homeschooling my oldest before my coming back to the Catholic church, and after a time - about 7 years ago - we became "open to life," and so I now have a bunch of little ones in addition to my three older girls. As my family has grown, I find that I need to change direction in my homeschool to a more group-oriented approach. I hope to find some inspiration here and share some of my experiences. I look forward to meeting all of you!

_Jessica
Back to Top View hsinfljmj's Profile Search for other posts by hsinfljmj

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 26 2012 at 12:58pm | IP Logged  

Welcome Rachel, Jennifer, and Jessica!

Our Domestic Church

Nique
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 26 2012 at 8:19pm | IP Logged  

Jessica, what an inspiration you are!

Thanks for "joining in"

JuliaW
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 28 2012 at 8:29pm | IP Logged  

Hi Ladies. I discovered this site a few days ago, and have really enjoyed reading through your forum posts. I am a mom to 5, soon to be 6, kids and have homeschooled for the past 2 years. There is still so much about homeschooling for me to learn; it seems like I find myself running in circles many days.

We live in Alabama about 30 miles outside of Birmingham, and it is hard to find like minded families around. This is a Protestant dominated area and we attend one of the smaller parishes in the diocese. My husband and I are converts as well, so our families are not supportive of our decision to raise our children Catholic. They are also not supportive of us being open to life and having so many kids. Although six is nothing compared to many of you Super Moms here I have noticed. How do you do it and stay SANE!

I'm so glad that I stumbled across this forum. There are so many concerns of mine regarding homeschooling but I have never had anyone to discuss issues with. Thanks for letting me join your group!

Back to Top View JuliaW's Profile Search for other posts by JuliaW

Nique
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 28 2012 at 10:48pm | IP Logged  

Dear Julia,

We are so glad you are here

It's the special Moms like you, who motivate us to keep going!

Thank you for introducing yourself.

Welcome!!

AmyRobynne
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 03 2012 at 10:31pm | IP Logged  

Hi, I'm Amy.

I have 3 boys, ages 8, 6, and almost 2. We officially pulled the older boys out of their Catholic prep school today, so I will be starting our homeschooling adventure this fall!

I've been wading through curricula options for the past month and I'll have plenty of questions getting everything figured out. Looking forward to meeting you all!
Back to Top View AmyRobynne's Profile Search for other posts by AmyRobynne Visit AmyRobynne's Homepage

margarita
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 04 2012 at 7:58am | IP Logged  

Hi there! I'm Amy too.

I used to be a member here, a long time ago, but I don't remember my login or even what my email address was at that point. I had only two small children then.

Now they are almost 16, and almost 14, and both have been in school for the past two years - one in public and one in Catholic.

And we are homeschooling our 6yo, 2yo, and expecting another in Feb. It's almost like having two separate families and boy are we stretched!

I reverted back to the church in 2005 I think. My husband is an atheist. I pray, a lot! :)

Oh and I am finally reading the Original Homeschooling Series by CM, which I bought so long ago and just let sit on my shelf.
Back to Top View margarita's Profile Search for other posts by margarita

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 04 2012 at 10:00am | IP Logged  

Welcome Amy X 2!! So glad to have both of you join us here.

Our Domestic Church

Nique
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 10 2012 at 8:23am | IP Logged  

Amy and Amy, how cool is that?!?

AmyRobynne, I admire your courage

Margarita, wish we could get together for a drink - your margarita nom-de-plume made me think of that and we can talk? You've got such an interesting life!

Thanks for sharing and see you on the boards!!

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version