Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Introductions 2012 - "Hi, I'm..." (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
csawilk
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 13 2012 at 9:52pm | IP Logged  

Hi,
Since I've asked for your help and prayers on another thread, it would be proper to introduce myself, right? :)

I'm Christy, wife to my DH of 8 years, and mama to four very little ones, ages 6, almost-5, 2 (this weekend!), and 3 mo. We currently live in Austin TX but are in discernment about a possible move this spring. We are most definitely eclectic learners -- the only non-negotiable must-have for us is Catechesis of the Good Shepherd. Beyond that, we borrow from Charlotte Mason, Montessori, unschooling, and classical methods. With the ages of my kids, it's a lot of unschooling and picture books! We are part of a wonderful part-time Catholic homeschool group (not quite a co-op, but sort of) that follows the teachings of Father Josef Kentenich, founder of the Schoenstatt Movement.

Thank you for this lovely, vibrant, faith-filled community!
Back to Top View csawilk's Profile Search for other posts by csawilk

faiths13
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 15 2012 at 2:22pm | IP Logged  

Hello! My name is Beth and I am a SAHM to 4 boys ages 2, 4, 11 & 13. We have been hs'ing for almost two years now and have recently found the CM love : ) I have been on TWTM forums and that is where I heard of this forum. I am so glad to have found this forum and so far it is lovely and inspiring!
Back to Top View faiths13's Profile Search for other posts by faiths13

Nique
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 15 2012 at 9:50pm | IP Logged  

Hello Christy and Beth!

So, so nice to have you here. Thanks for introducing yourselves.

Back to Top View Nique's Profile Search for other posts by Nique

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 16 2012 at 4:26pm | IP Logged  

HI all!!! I am very behind in extending my welcome. I had read the intros as they came in and have enjoyed seeing some of you start to post in the threads. It always so nice to have new voices and get new perspectives a nd insights.

So a big welcome to Maria, Monique, elynnmom, Amber, Beth and Christy! I am so glad you have joined and I look forward to getting to know you.

If anyone else is new, please introduce yourself. We'd love to "meet" you.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Feb 16 2012 at 7:05pm | IP Logged  

Ugh. I'm late, too! So inhospitable of me!

Welcome to all of you! It's so good to see you here, and I hope that you'll feel welcome and join in wherever you like! Grab a cup of coffee or tea some afternoon and sit down with us! We're all eager and delighted to get to know you! WELCOME!!!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

threesidedwheel
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 24 2012 at 2:48pm | IP Logged  

Hi Everyone!

I have lurked here for many years now, and am just now getting around to posting my introduction....Terrible isn't!?

I'm Holly, mother of two, ages 7 and 3. We have been hs now for almost 4 years. I also tutor a little boy in the afternoons in reading. I've learned so much from all of you over the years, and hope now that I am able to pass on the same inspiration to all of you.

Some of you have actually "met" me already over at ThreeSidedWheel And if you haven't I'd love for you to stop on by and get to know our little family!

Blessings!
Holly
Back to Top View threesidedwheel's Profile Search for other posts by threesidedwheel

KauaiCatholic
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 24 2012 at 6:53pm | IP Logged  

oh Holly, I found your blog by a circuitous route and thought (as I printed out many new Lenten craft ideas for which I am exceedingly grateful) "wow, she seems like a 4Real kind of homeschooler!"

so welcome! and thanks for all the great ideas!

and welcome to everyone else, too. I love reading about people and their paths to homeschooling. may God bless you on this journey!

Back to Top View KauaiCatholic's Profile Search for other posts by KauaiCatholic

10 Bright Stars
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 25 2012 at 4:01pm | IP Logged  

Hi!

I have been here awhile...since 2006 or so, I think. I was initially introduced to the forum by Ruth. So, a hello to the new folks and the veterans too. My name is Kim. I am married to my sweet husband, Bob. We will have been married 20 years this fall!! We have 10 dear children, ages 17 down to one year. We have 5 girls and 5 boys!! 2 of the girls are fraternal twins. We use Seton School for our oldest 3, all boys, and with the girls we use a mix of Charlotte Mason and CHC. We tend to school year round, with husband helping a lot with the older boys now that we have so many. Thank goodness!!

I have really enjoyed being a part of this forum for a long time now! I have gained SUCH useful information from all of these knowledgeable ladies, have benefitted personally from their prayer support, and know I can always come here and SOMEONE will know SOMETHING about pretty much anything I ask!! I also have enjoyed a lot of the personal blogs that I have discovered by way of this forum, and there are a few that are my favorites! I do know a few people "here" in person, which is cool too. (Hi Ruth and Cheryl! )

Anyway, I don't think I ever "formally" introduced myself! So good to meet everyone! Anyone going to the Seton conference in Fredericksburg this year?? So excited since it is only a hop, skip, and a jump away from here!!

Mary 12, Gracie 10,
Isabelle and Sophia 8,
Gabrielle 6,
William Anthony 4, Joseph 3 and Luisa Marie - born in M
Back to Top View 10 Bright Stars's Profile Search for other posts by 10 Bright Stars Visit 10 Bright Stars's Homepage

gamcynth
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 25 2012 at 5:41pm | IP Logged  

Hi,

I've read posts for a while, and finally joined. My husband and I have four children, three year olds (boy, boy, girl), and a 6 year old. This is our first year homeschooling - previously in Catholic school. We live in Richardson, TX (just N of Dallas).

We are using some CHC, MCP math (switched after we tried Right Start, which was taking me hours trying to get through place value - had to teach it 4 times each day!), Classical Catholic Memory (with 2 other families), Catholic Mosaic, Faith and life (for sacramental preparation this year!) and the Baltimore Catechism for First Communion. We are loving the Angel Food for Girls and Boys books and reading our Catholic Mosaic books every month too. We also are reading through the Children's First Bible, which began in an attempt to implement Connecting with History. My 8 year old daughter is dyslexic, so she and I are also using a program from Scottish Rite under the direction of an Academic Language Therapist for phonemic awareness and spelling.    

I feel like I've been struggling, but as I write out all that we are doing, maybe I've bitten off too much for a first year homeschooler. We love celebrating the Liturgical year, and I'm trying to simplify my program. I love Charlotte Mason, but definitely feel I fall so short! I would like to try to be more faithful to the Mater Amabilis curriculum next year, but I may go MODG route so I have less planning!

This forum has been a wonderful source of information and encouragement! You are all such a blessing!

Thank you all!
Cynthia Caton
mom to J, R, and C 1/13/04 and E, 9/19/05
Back to Top View gamcynth's Profile Search for other posts by gamcynth

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 27 2012 at 2:20am | IP Logged  

Welcome, Holly and Cynthia. And it's always nice to have members reintroduce themselves...

gamcynth wrote:
I feel like I've been struggling, but as I write out all that we are doing, maybe I've bitten off too much for a first year homeschooler. We love celebrating the Liturgical year, and I'm trying to simplify my program. I love Charlotte Mason, but definitely feel I fall so short! I would like to try to be more faithful to the Mater Amabilis curriculum next year, but I may go MODG route so I have less planning!

This forum has been a wonderful source of information and encouragement! You are all such a blessing!

I think we all go through times when we struggle and feel like we fall short. That's why the forum is so helpful - it is encouraging and it's good to know we are in the same boat together...

And, Cynthia, since you mention using Classically Catholic Memory it would be great if you posted your experience and opinion in this thread. It's been a recent topic and members are asking about it from those who have used it.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

threesidedwheel
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 27 2012 at 8:29pm | IP Logged  

KauaiCatholic wrote:
oh Holly, I found your blog by a circuitous route and thought (as I printed out many new Lenten craft ideas for which I am exceedingly grateful) "wow, she seems like a 4Real kind of homeschooler!"

so welcome! and thanks for all the great ideas!

and welcome to everyone else, too. I love reading about people and their paths to homeschooling. may God bless you on this journey!

Oh Vivianne thank you for the kind words! I hope my offerings bless you as well as others!

And welcome Kim and Cynthia-- look forward to getting to know you!

Holly
ThreeSidedWheelThreeSidedWheel
Back to Top View threesidedwheel's Profile Search for other posts by threesidedwheel

Nique
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 27 2012 at 8:39pm | IP Logged  

Hello Holly, Kim and Cynthia!

So you are here!!

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Feb 28 2012 at 5:15pm | IP Logged  

Well welcome, Lindsay, Theophilus, Monique, elynnmom, Amber, Christy, Beth, Holly, Kim, and Cynthia! I'm so glad that so many have found this thread this year and that some of you who have been around for a while are introducing yourselves too!   

Theophilus, I found Educating the Whole-Hearted Child to be so helpful when I was starting out. Catherine Levison's 'how-to Charlotte Mason' books were great too -- short and clear.

roseyloxs
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 29 2012 at 6:26am | IP Logged  

Hi!

Just found the board this morning. I have two young children who are 5 and 2.5 with hopes of more on the way soon. We are a Catholic family which is what drew me to this board. My son is currently in a local Catholic Kindergarten here in Germany (we are American). I plan to homeschool once he starts 1st grade. I am taking this last year to read up on as many styles and curriculums as possible. I hope all this extra research will help us find the right path for our family.

Theophilus wrote:
I also have a question: what is the best homeschooling book I could get to start with? I have two already: the one by Kimberly Hahn and a classical education book, The Well Trained Mind. Are these good? Is there something better? Thank you!

I am half way through the Well Trained Mind. I am liking it so far but I definitely won't be following it too closely. She has a lot of great ideas though. I also borrowed The First Year of Homeschooling Your Child by Linda Dobson. I liked it. It wasn't particularly meaty or anything but it was a nice boost that we will all figure out how to do this homeschooling thing one way or another. It also gives a simple breakdown of a few popular homeschooling styles. I will say that the book did have a slight unschooling bias but it didn't bother me.
Back to Top View roseyloxs's Profile Search for other posts by roseyloxs

Jenn
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: March 22 2012 at 8:34pm | IP Logged  

Hi!
I've been reading here for years, and even registered several years ago. I thought I would introduce myself and maybe start posting and join in the discussions. I may have done so briefly before. But I can't remember. I'm Mom to 4 boys , ages 10, 8, 5, and 2. I'm a Catholic convert, 11 years this Easter. My sweet husband is a cradle catholic, and we have been married for 15 years this May.

We have home schooled for the past 6 years, with preschoolers going to a local church preschool when needed. I'm trying to decide between staying with St Thomas Aquinas Academy for another year, or heading off to do a more CM approach myself. But given next year will be the first year I will be homeschooling 3, with a toddler under foot, I'm not so sure.

I've learned so much from reading here, what a special place this is!
Jen
Back to Top View Jenn's Profile Search for other posts by Jenn

Nique
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 22 2012 at 10:55pm | IP Logged  

Willkommen Roxyloxs!

Nique
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 22 2012 at 10:57pm | IP Logged  

Jen, so glad you are here!

loveandlaughter
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: March 26 2012 at 8:47am | IP Logged  

I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Emily and I live in California with my dear husband of 6 years and two daughters, Clare and Josephine. We have been homeschooling for this past year (kindergarten) with Clare and loving it. I was homeschooled K-12 so it has been a sort of nature progression for me. I am very excited to meet others here and get new ideas : ) Thank you for having me!
Back to Top View loveandlaughter's Profile Search for other posts by loveandlaughter

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 26 2012 at 8:51am | IP Logged  

Welcome, Emily and all!!! It's wonderful to have you here with us!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

BlessedMom
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: March 26 2012 at 9:30am | IP Logged  

Hi, I'm new to the forum! I'm a catholic homeschooling mom. I have 9 children; ds14, dd's11, ds9, dd8, ds6, dd4.5, ds3, ds1. Two of my dc (ds9 & dd8) are in private catholic school this year , but I homeschool all my other children and ds9 and dd8 we're homeschooled up until this year. We use CM methods, we're using Ambleside online right now.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone on here!
Back to Top View BlessedMom's Profile Search for other posts by BlessedMom

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version