Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Book Club
 4Real Forums : Book Club
Subject Topic: BOYS SHOULD BE BOYS - WEEK 1 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
kristinannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 31 2011 at 8:42am | IP Logged Quote kristinannie

I don't know how I missed doing reading this book together! I'm going to order it today so I can read along!!!

Katherine Elizabeth 8 months
Back to Top View kristinannie's Profile Search for other posts by kristinannie

mamasue
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 02 2011 at 11:32am | IP Logged Quote mamasue

In chapter 1 Dr Meeker wrote:
The most important people in a boy's life are his parents. You should never feel powerless with your son. No one is more important that you are.

of course, I KNOW this. for some reason reading this just made it sink in and, honestly, I burst out crying like a baby.
Back to Top View mamasue's Profile Search for other posts by mamasue

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 02 2011 at 4:12pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

SeaStar wrote:
Right to Chapter Two:
The question is, however, is happiness enough? Is aspiring to raise a son to be happy more important than raising a boy to be good?

I think this is a crucial point. Do I want my son to be happy... most parents want their kids to grow up to be happy. Or... do I want him to be "good"?

What if we look at it this way: I want my son to know God and do His will- because what makes us truly happy: doing our own thing or following God's plan for our lives?

Then the next question is: how do we teach our sons to learn what God's will for them is?

I think when you get to that question you sort of enter a whole different realm of thinking as far as how you raise your son. The answer can't be found in sports or video games or buying more stuff for him.

I think that is where you really get into the whole issue of how you spend your time and the examples he sees to follow.

It's taken me a whole week to get to this discussion--just one of those weeks!

When I read that quoted section, I viewed it as one of those trick questions. I want both -- I want my son to be happy and I want him to be good. I also know that we raise him to be good, he will be happy.

Giving or buying things is just temporary happiness, and as adults we know that empty feeling. We long for eternity, we long for good. When we set our goal on the short-lived goods of this world, we're left with unhappiness.

I remember my mother having a book on her shelf that I never read, but the title always intrigued me: Love God, and Do What You Please (by St. Alphonsus Liguouri). I used to think about that title all the time! When we love God, we find true freedom and happiness. And the book I'm reading right now, Children of God talks about this.

I think some of the "difficulty" raising our boys to be good is that we have so many worldly things that distract from the ultimate goal. We all have this problem in different degrees, of course.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 02 2011 at 5:06pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I think also, that in this day and age it is very hard for boys to be "good".
What is "good", anyway?

Boys today can't climb trees, run, talk loudly, walk on the grass, rough house, ride their bikes through puddles.... everywhere they turn there are signs and people telling them no, no and no.

Basically, everything a boy likes to do is a No in our society.
I am not a boy, but I know how I feel when people tell me no all the time- very frustrated. I can't imagine how the average boy today feels.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 02 2011 at 5:23pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

SeaStar wrote:
I think also, that in this day and age it is very hard for boys to be "good".
What is "good", anyway?

Boys today can't climb trees, run, talk loudly, walk on the grass, rough house, ride their bikes through puddles.... everywhere they turn there are signs and people telling them no, no and no.

Basically, everything a boy likes to do is a No in our society.
I am not a boy, but I know how I feel when people tell me no all the time- very frustrated. I can't imagine how the average boy today feels.

I've been thinking along the same lines, Melinda. Like MaryM, I just finished reading Free Range Kids which has that kind of thinking -- there are so many restrictions "for safety".

I think about a classroom setting, too, which doesn't usually take the physical needs of boys.

This is an area I often have to examine myself on how I deal with my boys' behaviors.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 02 2011 at 5:25pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I should interject, I'm writing as the din in my kitchen gets louder and louder. I saved two coffee cans full of baby jar lids (my "baby" is 3, and I started with my oldest). The lids are careened, shot, and sliding across the floor.

This is an instance where my first reaction is "Stop making all that noise!"

kristacecilia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 02 2011 at 6:01pm | IP Logged Quote kristacecilia

This discussion has gotten me so interested in this book that I had to run order it.

So... hopefully it gets here soon! I am dying to read it now.

Wife to a great guy, mom to two boys ('04, '06) and three girls ('08, '10, '12!)

I blog at http://kristacecilia.wordpress.com/
Back to Top View kristacecilia's Profile Search for other posts by kristacecilia

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 02 2011 at 7:32pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

JennGM wrote:
This is an instance where my first reaction is "Stop making all that noise!"

Yeah, boys are definitely louder than girls!

On the subject of good vs. happy, I keep thinking about the BC answer to the question:

Why did God make you?

To show forth His goodness and share with us His everlasting happiness in heaven

So, I say, it's both. If we are "good" (and what is that but doing the will of God and glorifying Him?), then we will be happy. The problem is pursuing happiness without goodness, without God. Then happiness becomes an empty, hollow, worldly and ultimately destructive end.

It's important that we don't communicate to our children something along the lines of, "You can be good OR you can be happy...can't have both!" There is great joy in the Lord, the martyrs even rejoiced in their deaths! So the idea I want to convey is more like: "Be good and then you WILL be happy, because God knows exactly how to make you happy...stick with Him, kid!"

I see a parallel to this in the Theology of the Body--love and openness to children go together. Try to separate them and you have sorrow, loss, mortal sin. Same thing for goodness and happiness--you can have both together, or neither.

One last thought, we need to not confuse "good" with "well-behaved". Our boys may be very rowdy and wild at times, very loud and physical, but that is quite a different thing from moral corruption. St. John Bosco put it well: "Run, jump, make noise, but do not sin!"

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version