Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Large Family Logistics Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 24 2011 at 8:13pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Has anyone read Large Family Logistics by Kim Brenneman?

I see Bridget gave it a thumbs up.

I was wondering how many children Mrs. Brenneman has. How many in a household does this author consider "large"?

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 24 2011 at 8:25pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Is that the same one with this blog I see Bridget mentions there's a blog.

I never read much but I saved it and read little bits.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2011 at 8:59pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

I'm reading it now, Cay. She has nine children (I think I'm remembering that correctly). The author appears to be a fundamentalist and/or evangelical Christian Seeing this kind of late tonight, but I'll add more tomorrow about it. Most of it is very basic, common sense stuff. She has a website, too.

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 24 2011 at 9:09pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

ah ha.. this looks like the current blog large family logistics

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2011 at 6:25am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

I have followed Kim's blog for a LONG time. I'd love to read the book....hey Bridget - may I borrow this??

I have gleaned some great tips from her, but I can't recall exactly which ones!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2011 at 6:40am | IP Logged Quote Bridget

Lisa, I'll send the book with Monica tomorrow.

LFL IS mostly common sense. That's why I like it. Mine goes out the window in times of stress or crisis.

Kim is a protestant, but the book sticks with pretty practical help and I didn't catch anything offensive to Catholics. Something could be there ...the book has a lot of text and I only skimmed through some sections as I was trying to tackle certain areas one at a time in my own household.

I have not seen anything so practical for large families.

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2011 at 7:04am | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Oh, dear, when I re-read my post this morning, it sounded like I was being critical of Mrs. Brenneman, but that's not what I intended! I mentioned that she was a Protestant just to give information about her, not meaning she was anti-Catholic or anything like that. My post does sort of sound negative, and I'm sorry about that. Guess I just needed to go to sleep! Thank you for being charitable, Bridget, and more clear than I was!

I also didn't mean to say the book was not valuable; it is very full of specific ideas for such practical helps as a homemaking notebook, daily routines, how to clean specific rooms, and ideas for meal planning, among others. The chapters are very short, two-four pages, and the information varies from detailed (how to clean your bathroom) to very general (and, as a result, not so helpful.)

Her approach seems to be similar to the Side-tracked Home Executive approach in that she recommends one day for laundry, one day for kitchen, one day for office work, etc. (no flash cards, though). I personally don't find this to be as effective for me as doing a little of everything everyday, but it works well for many families.

This book would be very, very helpful to families who are really struggling with organization and have not been able to put any good systems in place, or for young families who are just "learning the ropes". It has specific but not overwhelming information. It is nice that it is oriented to homeschooling families, which is almost unheard of in organization books. I'm not sure it has quite as much to offer for those who have been in the trenches for quite a while...

Other home-friendly organization books that I love are:
Confessions of a Happily Organized Family
Confessions of an Organized Homemaker

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2011 at 7:30am | IP Logged Quote Bridget

stellamaris wrote:
Oh, dear, when I re-read my post this morning, it sounded like I was being critical of Mrs. Brenneman, but that's not what I intended! I mentioned that she was a Protestant just to give information about her, not meaning she was anti-Catholic or anything like that. My post does sort of sound negative, and I'm sorry about that. Guess I just needed to go to sleep! Thank you for being charitable, Bridget, and more clear than I was!

You weren't being negative at all! I think we always have to address this when recommending non-Catholic resources.

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2011 at 7:58am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

stellamaris wrote:

This book would be very, very helpful to families who are really struggling with organization and have not been able to put any good systems in place,

This is SO me right now. I know the ropes, I've been in the trenches for awhile, but I'm not able to keep a 'system' going for any more than a few months. It doesn't help that we have been living 'in transition' for over a year now. I find systems that seem to work, but to consistently keep one going is so difficult. And when I get thrown off, I tend to fall apart easily. It is so frustrating.

Bridget, I look forward to browsing it!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2011 at 8:02am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Bridget wrote:
stellamaris wrote:

You weren't being negative at all! I think we always have to address this when recommending non-Catholic resources.

I completely agree! I see way too much recommending of non-Catholic Christian books without caveats (not here, just all of the internet). We can't assume just because WE are able to sift through it that others won't get confused by something. I think we really need to be mindful of that.

That being said I do read the LFL blog occasionally and find it helpful!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 25 2011 at 1:40pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Lisbet wrote:
This is SO me right now. I know the ropes, I've been in the trenches for awhile, but I'm not able to keep a 'system' going for any more than a few months.   

You know Lisbet.. I noticed recently because we're getting a system going again and things are staying caught up instead of occationally being caught up.. that I'm feeling good and have energy to keep up.. that I can finish up a room after the kids are in bed or direct 3-4 younger kids in a job. But it's not about the *system* it's really about MY energy level.

OK so I've recognized that but I haven't figured out what to do with this information yet

-Sir Walter Scott

wifemommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2011 at 1:51pm | IP Logged Quote wifemommy

Oh my I think I could really like this blog anyone with lots of children and farm animals we can relate    Annie
Back to Top View wifemommy's Profile Search for other posts by wifemommy

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 26 2011 at 2:47pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

I get the emails all the time. But honestly, it seems like what we are doing is...already doing the things that the emails prompt.

Not sure if the book would be the best fit. Probably would be best for me if I could borrow it first, before spending any $$ on it, iykwim.

Anyone got a spare copy? I'll pay shipping both ways...

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 26 2011 at 3:39pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

I'm borrowing this from Bridget - I hope to get at least ONE thing revamped this weekend.

Incidentally, Bridget's sweet teenage daughter does not recommend this book - Monica gave it to Abby (my sweet teenage daughter and Monica's friend) and said "Here Abby, my mom sent this extereeeeemly boring book to pass to your mom"        

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 26 2011 at 5:05pm | IP Logged Quote Bridget

She's my sanguine!    Schedules, daily duty... forget it she's an artist she must create!

martinas6
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Jan 26 2011 at 9:27pm | IP Logged Quote martinas6

"Her approach seems to be similar to the Side-tracked Home Executive approach in that she recommends one day for laundry, one day for kitchen, one day for office work, etc. (no flash cards, though). I personally don't find this to be as effective for me as doing a little of everything everyday, but it works well for many families. ">>>>
Her book sounds interesting and I like that someone said her chapters are short. I've never been able to do the one chore a day approach,especially with laundry. Do people who follow this one chore a day method really get by with doing laundry once a week?

http://www.mamax9.blogspot.com
Back to Top View martinas6's Profile Search for other posts by martinas6 Visit martinas6's Homepage

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 26 2011 at 11:16pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

NEVER on the laundry!!

But now we do one person (or a pair if they share a dresser) a time at laundry- then I don't need to sort it our into different dressers! And they all get it running themselves- I help on the transfer to the line and the, ahem, nagging to get it out of the laundry room, then out of the baskets, and then, finally!, into their dressers. But overall I have seen a huge improvement and not much backup (we used to just do the laundry all together).

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 27 2011 at 7:28am | IP Logged Quote Bridget

LFL does not recommend laundry once a week, we all know what a disaster that would be in a large family. Laundry day is when you do the extra. Get caught up, wash sheets, iron your poor husband's work shirts before he runs out, etc. Laundry still has to happen other days but it's less and not the main focus of the day. for non-laundry days, I think Kim mentions 3 loads by 3:00 or 4 loads by 4:00. You do whatever keeps your family afloat.

AmandaV
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 02 2012 at 10:31am | IP Logged Quote AmandaV

Hi, I'm bumping this as I've been looking back at Kim's posts on homemaking notebooks. I made one years ago when my children were all under 4 and then everything fell apart when I had my twins. I really haven't followed a good homemaking routine since. So I'm looking back and trying to make it work. Kim linked to a bunch of Kim Brenneman (the author)'s articles on Christian women online. There are about 20, which I copied, pasted, and printed in Word - about 45 pages. So is the book the same articles, but added to? Is there much more? Thanks!

wife since 6/03, Mom to son 7/04, daughter 2/06, twin sons 6/08 and son 7/11, son 1/2014
Back to Top View AmandaV's Profile Search for other posts by AmandaV

mamaslearning
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 02 2012 at 10:54am | IP Logged Quote mamaslearning

Thanks for bumping! I could use the refresher in large family living. I'm hoping now that the youngest is no longer a hold-in-your-arms-all-day baby, that I can kick my butt into gear and organize our house and routines. Then again, there's a bit of fear in me that says what if you get things under control, what happens then? I think I'd be at a loss for what to do without all the little fires to put out!

(I really enjoy Starry Sky Ranch don't you!)

Back to Top View mamaslearning's Profile Search for other posts by mamaslearning

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version