Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Christmas cards -- what do you do? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
insegnante
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 01 2009 at 5:04pm | IP Logged Quote insegnante

The vast majority of cards we have ever received and that my family received when I was growing up were just signed storebought greeting cards or else family photo cards with no other personal message, whether explicitly religious ones, ones with messages that could be interpreted in different ways like just "joy" or "peace," or Santa/winter type scenes. Rarely did they EVER say anything at all else except maybe writing in "and Happy New Year" if the card did not include that. If we receive anything at all from someone we don't otherwise much or at all keep in touch with, who has a chance of otherwise having nothing ever again to do with us, then at least I know that they aren't just as happy for that to be the case.

When I first saw some time in the 90s or maybe in 2000 all the photo cards an older married cousin had displayed, I thought it was nice for people to exchange these photos. I do enjoy having these photos and will enjoy having them to look back on in the future. In my opinion it's just too bad that a tradition of sharing photos seems largely to have supplanted rather than supplemented the other tradition. Although there's much more meaning to receiving only a photo of someone's kids around their tree than only a bunny in the snow on cardstock if those are the only choices.

Hmm, what do older people send? The ones I know are still sending old-fashioned cards, but what will today's parents do in the future? When all the kids have gone off to college will people still send family photos? Will they take photos of the clan all gathered including married kids with their kids, or ask their kids if they can send out pics of just the grandkids who are so much cuter than everyone else even though the kids' own parents might be sending them too? Are childless couples sending photos of themselves at home or in another Christmassy scene?

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 01 2009 at 5:19pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

some without children send pictures of their pets..

The cards I remember my grammy sending and recieving had hand written notes written in the cards or included on seperate paper and sometimes a picture.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 01 2009 at 6:01pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

B.C. (before children) we did send out a card w/ a photo of me, hubby...and the dog! That was the year I was preggo with #1 tho and it was supposed to show my preggo belly to all those near and dear yet far and wide.     I guess I have always tried to supplement the traditional Christmas greeting...never replace with a photo. I realize that everyone's life ebbs and flows and some years the desire (time and money) are there to do more than a card w/ just a signature or no greeting at all. I don't think less of those that "only" send those...I just really enjoy when we get the photos, newsletters, poems etc. I have been known to make 2 stacks (those that we see regularly and those that we don't). That might be something you can do if you are concerned about addressing to different groups.

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version