Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: OOP Science books - recommended authors? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mrs. A
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 12 2013 at 9:31pm | IP Logged Quote Mrs. A

Thank you to all who have taken the time to share so many great resources. I am excited to begin looking for some of these!
Back to Top View Mrs. A's Profile Search for other posts by Mrs. A Visit Mrs. A's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 13 2013 at 8:55am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

It is fun to hunt them down

The Men of Science book I have is from the Badger Book series printed by Whitman in the late 50's and early 60's. It has a beautiful green cover with pictures on front and back. The back has color profiles of the scientists.

It looks like there are several other good titles in this series. My library has none, of course. Ah- another challenge to track them down...

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 14 2015 at 8:52am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

CrunchyMom wrote:
I came across this book, Rocks, Rivers, and the Changing Earth by Herman Schneider, at a library sale for a local school closing. I've been using is for ds8's geography this year. This morning I was struck again by how much he really likes it and is able to narrate from it so well, showing a real understanding of and enthusiasm for the concepts introduced.

The only review on Amazon is negative, but since the reason it gives is that is uses words too confusing for a seventh grader, don't put much stock in it Very sad, too, since the review is for a seventh grader, and it is well within the grasp of my 3 rd grader, who is admittedly a strong reader, but still. I'm pretty sure a "first book about geology" was originally intended for a younger audience. The quality of language is what I like about it!

The review finishes that it was "okay" but "not that good" ..."unless you like educational books." Since you all seem to like educational books okay, I think I'll stand behind my endorsement

Ds also really likes the simple pen and ink illustrations. He will sit and flip through looking at them after he has finished his assignment.

Anyway, the book lists others titles by the same author, and I think we will keep an eye out for sure. It's copyright is 1952, but the material covered is straightforward enough to not really be dated.

I went to Amazon to recommend this book to someone, and I saw that it is now back in print!!!      Doesn't this sort of thing give you hope???

Rocks Rivers and the Changing Earth

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

AtHomeScience
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 14 2015 at 12:29pm | IP Logged Quote AtHomeScience

Great recommendation! I found a very good/good hardcover used exlibrary copy on abebooks for $8.47 including shipping. Neat that it is also available for Kindle. Love these old books. I agree that the better language far outweighs the glossy photos, charts, and graphs.

I don't know if I posted this here before, but it is interesting to compare the original publications of the Science in Ancient ____ series to the more current reprints. Language cut to the bone, modern pictures added.

Science Of Relations
Back to Top View AtHomeScience's Profile Search for other posts by AtHomeScience Visit AtHomeScience's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 4
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version