Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: OOP Science books - recommended authors? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 27 2012 at 7:39am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Thanks so much! I saved the pdf for future reference!

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 21 2012 at 10:29am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I have another book to add which I shared about on this thread:

I have another recommendation for you then...Stories for the Nature Hour by Ada and Eleanor Skinner. It's a lovely collection of absolutely charming and delightful stories that works well as a read aloud for a wide age group. The group of stories were compiled by the Skinner sisters, and some were written by them, but most of the stories are authored by others. Here are some authors you might recognize:

The Snowdrop by Hans Christian Anderston
The Boy Who Discovered Spring by Raymond MacDonald Alden
Robin Redbreast by Selma Lagerloff
The Dragon Fly by Mrs. Alfred Gatty
    ....who wrote Parables from Nature which is on the AO list. By the way, Gatty's book, Parables would make a good read aloud because it works better as a group narration. It's a tough book to narrate. It's helpful when the group of kids narrate together because they can prompt each other. The dragonfly story is not in her Parables collection.
...and there are many, many other authors, and the collection is really quite enjoyable. I'm sure I'm just making this harder for you to whittle down, rather than easier, but file that little treasure away for "one day" because it's a good one!

So many of Ada and Eleanor Skinner's books are available free, so I'm not sure why this one isn't?? If you can find it for a good price, it's worth it. I found my (March 1920) copy and received it and it has a wonderful inscription in it:
Quote:
With love to May for highest marks in PNEU work
From A. C. Ellis
Feb. 12th 1931

Isn't that neat?

The Skinner sisters were quite prolific in writing children's books, but I've never been able to find out much about them. Though many of their books include writing of a seasonal nature, this is their only natural history specific book. Their set of seasonal books would be fitting additions here:

Emerald Story Book - stories and legends of spring
The Turquoise Book - stories and legends of summer
The Topaz Story Book - stories and legends of autumn
Pearl Story Book - stories and legends of winter

Most of the Skinner books are extremely hard to find in hard copies now. I can find most in ereader form as part of the public domain though.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 21 2012 at 2:20pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

I have a hardback copy of The Emerald Storybook. It is available online, as you mentioned, Jen. It has many short stories and poems in it, including:

A Norse legend about Spring
Poems (Browning, van Dyke)
Many fictional stories grouped into Stories and Legends, Among the Tree-tops, In Meadow and Pond, A Garden of Easter Stories (Wilde, Wiggin, MacDonald, Beecher, Baldwin, Andersen, Gatty, Keller, Lagerlof are among the authors). All of the stories you mentioned, Jen, from the Stories for the Nature Hour, are in the Emerald Story book as well.

A very nice collection.

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 9:10am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I came across this book, Rocks, Rivers, and the Changing Earth by Herman Schneider, at a library sale for a local school closing. I've been using is for ds8's geography this year. This morning I was struck again by how much he really likes it and is able to narrate from it so well, showing a real understanding of and enthusiasm for the concepts introduced.

The only review on Amazon is negative, but since the reason it gives is that is uses words too confusing for a seventh grader, don't put much stock in it Very sad, too, since the review is for a seventh grader, and it is well within the grasp of my 3 rd grader, who is admittedly a strong reader, but still. I'm pretty sure a "first book about geology" was originally intended for a younger audience. The quality of language is what I like about it!

The review finishes that it was "okay" but "not that good" ..."unless you like educational books." Since you all seem to like educational books okay, I think I'll stand behind my endorsement

Ds also really likes the simple pen and ink illustrations. He will sit and flip through looking at them after he has finished his assignment.

Anyway, the book lists others titles by the same author, and I think we will keep an eye out for sure. It's copyright is 1952, but the material covered is straightforward enough to not really be dated.

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 9:38am | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

CrunchyMom wrote:
I came across this book, Rocks, Rivers, and the Changing Earth by Herman Schneider, at a library sale for a local school closing. I've been using is for ds8's geography this year. This morning I was struck again by how much he really likes it and is able to narrate from it so well, showing a real understanding of and enthusiasm for the concepts introduced.

The only review on Amazon is negative, but since the reason it gives is that is uses words too confusing for a seventh grader, don't put much stock in it Very sad, too, since the review is for a seventh grader, and it is well within the grasp of my 3 rd grader, who is admittedly a strong reader, but still. I'm pretty sure a "first book about geology" was originally intended for a younger audience. The quality of language is what I like about it!

The review finishes that it was "okay" but "not that good" ..."unless you like educational books." Since you all seem to like educational books okay, I think I'll stand behind my endorsement

Ds also really likes the simple pen and ink illustrations. He will sit and flip through looking at them after he has finished his assignment.

Anyway, the book lists others titles by the same author, and I think we will keep an eye out for sure. It's copyright is 1952, but the material covered is straightforward enough to not really be dated.

My dd9 used Everyday Weather and How It Works last year (she was 3rd grade then). She really enjoyed it. There were some very simple home projects/experiments within the text and those are just my favorite. They create a self interest and a joyful scurry to find the materials to recreate/try them.

We recommend him too I'll keep an eye out for the geology title, that is our topic come fall

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 9:49am | IP Logged Quote Betsy

CrunchyMom wrote:

Thanks for the reivew. That part about about "unless you *like* educational books" just cracked me up! I guess I am *that* type of person!

AmandaV
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 7:47pm | IP Logged Quote AmandaV

Grace&Chaos wrote:
CrunchyMom wrote:

My dd9 used Everyday Weather and How It Works last year (she was 3rd grade then). She really enjoyed it. There were some very simple home projects/experiments within the text and those are just my favorite. They create a self interest and a joyful scurry to find the materials to recreate/try them.

We recommend him too I'll keep an eye out for the geology title, that is our topic come fall

Thanks, ladies! My new (old! ) copies of both of these Herman Schneider books in the mail today. I'm looking forward to using!

wife since 6/03, Mom to son 7/04, daughter 2/06, twin sons 6/08 and son 7/11, son 1/2014
Back to Top View AmandaV's Profile Search for other posts by AmandaV

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 28 2013 at 4:26pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

It seems any author mentioned here that is included in my library starts to be discarded. I just rescued Soon After September by Glenn Blough, the only book by this author my library had. I thought if I checked out these old books it would keep them in circulation, but apparently not. Millicent Selsam is walking out the door, too. Did someone recommend Peter Loewer? Several of the old "I Can Read and Find Out Science" are vacating shelves, too.

and

My used book store had a copy of The Insect World by Hilda T. Harpster, Drawings by Zhena Gay. It's not written in the same style as Fabre, but it's not dry and fact-finding, but more conversational. I found a quick review and recommendation on Kirkus Reviews. The drawings are simple black and white, but done very well.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

AmandaV
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2013 at 4:38pm | IP Logged Quote AmandaV

Almost none of the authors mentioned here that are OOP are at my library. We found Benny's Animals by Selsam quite by accident, but then there are very few other I can Read science books available.

By the way, I found this post when I was looking up Benny's Animals and it looks pretty useful. Its called "Vintage Children's books my kid loves" and she has a whole series of posts on science books.

wife since 6/03, Mom to son 7/04, daughter 2/06, twin sons 6/08 and son 7/11, son 1/2014
Back to Top View AmandaV's Profile Search for other posts by AmandaV

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 28 2013 at 4:41pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Oops, I mean "Let's Read and Find Out" books...but I also love those "I Can Read Science". "Terri and the Caterpillar" was one I read and reread. There is also another series "A First Look at..." that Selsam wrote a few.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2013 at 4:48pm | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

JennGM wrote:
It seems any author mentioned here that is included in my library starts to be discarded. I just rescued Soon After September by Glenn Blough, the only book by this author my library had. I thought if I checked out these old books it would keep them in circulation, but apparently not. Millicent Selsam is walking out the door, too. Did someone recommend Peter Loewer? Several of the old "I Can Read and Find Out Science" are vacating shelves, too.

and

My used book store had a copy of The Insect World by Hilda T. Harpster, Drawings by Zhena Gay. It's not written in the same style as Fabre, but it's not dry and fact-finding, but more conversational. I found a quick review and recommendation on Kirkus Reviews. The drawings are simple black and white, but done very well.

I just checked out "Look at a Flower" by Anne Ophelia Dowden at our library, to preview her work, before I started searching her titles for my dd that wants to focus on botany in the fall. Look at all her titles listed on Amazon, but my library only had the one I checked out

I've gotten about 5 so far and they are wonderful. The content will be perfect for my dd (5th grade in the fall)and the illustrations are delightful. Can't wait to dive into botany with her

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 28 2013 at 4:51pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

GraceandChaol wrote:
I just checked out "Look at a Flower" by Anne Ophelia Dowden at our library, to preview her work, before I started searching her titles for my dd that wants to focus on botany in the fall. Look at all her titles listed on Amazon, but my library only had the one I checked out

I've gotten about 5 so far and they are wonderful. The content will be perfect for my dd (5th grade in the fall)and the illustrations are delightful. Can't wait to dive into botany with her

Excellent! My library has 4 of her titles! Checking them out now!

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 28 2013 at 5:08pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Ugh!

Well, at least we can start buying them all guilt free No nagging angel on the shoulder saying, "It would be more economical if. You just checked it out from the library..."

Very, very sad, though.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 28 2013 at 5:10pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

CrunchyMom wrote:
Ugh!

Well, at least we can start buying them all guilt free No nagging angel on the shoulder saying, "It would be more economical if. You just checked it out from the library..."

Very, very sad, though.

I know. But I don't have a place to put them. I LIKED having them at my library! This means I have to cull other books to make room for these.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 01 2013 at 9:54am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

JennGM wrote:

It is such a shame. I wonder if libraries aren't particularly harsh with oop science books because they consider them "out of date"? In some ways they are - so many new advances and discoveries, but what they disregard is that so much of science is wonder and awe - and that never gets outdated. The language of the older books really sparks that wonder. It is a shame they are being discarded.

Grace&Chaos wrote:

Thanks for the recommendation. Our library has 6 and I just requested several. Interestingly, I had read the one on plants in the bible several years ago when we were talking here about Mary Gardens, but hadn't realized she had so many other books.

AmandaV wrote:
By the way, I found this post when I was looking up Benny's Animals and it looks pretty useful. Its called "Vintage Children's books my kid loves" and she has a whole series of posts on science books.

Yes, I love that blog - so nostalgic. It is actually one of the reasons I ended up starting this thread way back in the day - I had found reference to an old book that I had been looking for and it opened my eyes to some other authors.

And I am so glad this thread is being bumped. Just reread and and am all fired up for spring and nature study and getting some more books!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 15 2013 at 7:14pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

A few weeks ago I picked up from my library's discards for sale I Watch Flies by Gladys Conklin, illustrated by Jean Zallinger, Holiday House, 1977.

It is a fabulous book, very well written, with fabulous illustrations. So much interesting information. Did you know mosquitoes are actually classified as flies? We didn't. There is also a small scale that shoes actual size for each fly in the book, so the boys were figuring out the biggest to the smallest.

The book gave me an appetite for more like it, and I found that Gladys Conklin has written quite a few more.

The book itself says "I Watch Flies" is a companion book to:
I Like Beetles
I Like Butterflies
I Like Caterpillars
We Like Bugs

Valerie's Living Books has a good review and lists her books, highlighting the better ones. I think Conklin's forte is insects. The books have various illustrators besides Jean Zallinger (her drawings are excellent). To name a few: Glen Rounds and Artur Marokvia.

Just another author to keep in mind!

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 16 2013 at 3:10pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I used to have a few Conklin books (which have sadly been outgrown), including Insects Build their Homes and We Like Bugs. Charming.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 12 2013 at 11:29am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Men of Science by Dorothy Haas is a find!

I picked it up about six months ago at a library sale. It includes about 8 men, including Einstein and George Washington Carver, and each chapter is written in such a wonderfully living way. Good illustrations, also.

I have been struggling to find a good picture book about GWC. He was so amazing.... yet I wasn't able to find a book that brought him to life. We have read a few over the years that were so-so .

This year, for our Alabama studies, I was determined to find something that would make him memorable for my dc. The chapter in this book did the trick.

Later I used the book to show ds how a paragraph was indented and how all the sentences in a paragraph relate to a subject. I used a paragraph from the chapter on Henry Ford. Ds was totally distracted by the paragraph itself and finally said, "What *IS* this book?" Then went off with it and read it. Love it when that happens

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 12 2013 at 3:33pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

SeaStar wrote:
Men of Science by Dorothy Haas is a find!

I picked it up about six months ago at a library sale. It includes about 8 men, including Einstein and George Washington Carver, and each chapter is written in such a wonderfully living way. Good illustrations, also.

Can't wait to find a copy! Thanks, Melinda!

Your son sounds like mine in regards to reading.

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 12 2013 at 5:25pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

We have all agreed here that we like the chapter about Sir Alexander Fleming the best. I don't think my dc will ever forget his "golden broth" and the rabbits.

Each chapter is a scene from an important event in the scientist's life. But be warned- they will leave your dc saying: more! that can't be all!

ETA: Oh- and be prepared to answer questions about the theory of relativity

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version