Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Moving baby to crib Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 15 2005 at 3:59pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

amyable wrote:
It's just nap times, and right at bedtime where I'm fearing for her safety...I'm also hoping - though I doubt this will come to pass - that napping in the crib will lead to longer naps. I feel like I spend my entire day either trying to get her to sleep, or dealing with her crabbiness because she's too tired from her tiny nap.    I really do want what is best for her but I also want what is best for my other children too - ...I'm sorry I'm complaining.

No complainers here, right Amy? We're mothers looking for solutions to life's little challenges, .

Now I get to plug one of my favorite reasons why I am so attracted to CM and Real Learning ideas. I LOVE to hold my baby while I read to older children. Currently, John Paul is 7 months and napping ~ three times a day (give or take cat naps.) The first nap, I hold him on the couch and read with his older brothers. They are extra quiet and still in order to have more of my undivided attention. The second nap, I lay down and nurse him, say a rosary, and hopefully sleep myself. The third nap, he is often in my arms, either at the dinner table or on the couch while we say a family rosary. Sometimes when we are out and about, he naps in my sling (yes, he's 20 lbs!) or in his car seat.

I stumbled onto this "hold the baby while he naps and read to your older child" idea well before CM! Yet, once again, CM fit with my real life .

Mothers of young and/or many children UNITE! Mother's resting with their littles ones is glue that can hold us together...that and a LOT of prayer .

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 15 2005 at 7:27pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Angie Mc wrote:
(although I respectfully disagree with your neighbor's blanket statement, Rachel...perhaps it wasn't a blanket statment but meant specifically for your child) I'll share an article that gives options.

I believe he meant nutritionally not emotionally, and she was a healthy 9 month old.

I know this area is always a subject of controversy. My dh and I decided not to become a CCL teaching couple early on because we do not buy into ecological breastfeeding and did not feel like we could teach it wholeheartedly. I have seen it work for many people, but not my family.

I do like to throw out our point of view, though, because I know that some people are like me and cannot tolerate being touched that much and also need uniterrupted sleep, but may have never been exposed to the idea that a baby can be on a schedule or feel guilty about not wanting to breastfeed that much.

Amy, I hope you find a good solution as there are many good suggestions here!

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 16 2005 at 4:34am | IP Logged Quote amyable

Angie Mc wrote:

Now I get to plug one of my favorite reasons why I am so attracted to CM and Real Learning ideas. I LOVE to hold my baby while I read to older children. Currently, John Paul is 7 months and napping ~ three times a day (give or take cat naps.) The first nap, I hold him on the couch and read with his older brothers. They are extra quiet and still in order to have more of my undivided attention. The second nap, I lay down and nurse him, say a rosary, and hopefully sleep myself. The third nap, he is often in my arms, either at the dinner table or on the couch while we say a family rosary. Sometimes when we are out and about, he naps in my sling (yes, he's 20 lbs!) or in his car seat.

Soooo...this really works? He's not cranky all the time because he's not sleeping deeply for a good chunk of time? Honestly, something in me tugs at me to do just that (what you described), but the times I've tried (more often then you'd think from my whining about getting her to take good naps ) she only sleeps a few mintues. 10, 20 minutes tops? Even in the sling.

Possibly the big difference is my toddler. When I am sitting quietly, or if I tried to nap without putting the sleepless wonder 2yo down for a nap first, then she gets in all sorts of trouble, I get up or raise my voice to stop her, and there goes the nap for the littlest one. So while my heart says "Oh how nice, I get to hold her while she sleeps," in reality it would result in three 10 minute naps and one super cranky baby...

I sincerely thank everyone for all your ideas, varied as they are. I need to hear what works for *everyone*, 'cause I'm the kind of person that can come up with a million reasons why each one won't work for us!    I need to get over that.

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

hereinantwerp
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 17 2005 at 9:07am | IP Logged Quote hereinantwerp

Elizabeth wrote:
Looking back with fond memories to the times when I crawled into the crib with Michael to nurse him to sleep and then climbed out without waking him. I was much lighter then ...

You have my heartfelt prayers!

That is hilarious!!
Back to Top View hereinantwerp's Profile Search for other posts by hereinantwerp Visit hereinantwerp's Homepage

hereinantwerp
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 17 2005 at 9:22am | IP Logged Quote hereinantwerp

Well you know I'm dealing with a similar problem, but for what it's worth I've had my little girl in the crib from the beginning (I'm a terrible sleeper and just can't sleep with them in my room). But because of the reflux she could only sleep on her tummy. I know you're not supposed to do this with tiny ones, but it was that or no sleep at all, and apparently this is sometimes recommended as a safer alternative than the possibility of them choking on spit-up. I also thickened her feedings, which made the biggest difference, but then I am not nursing. Even at 7 mos. if I lay her on her back she wakes up crying and in pain within five minutes. I think the sleeping thing is trickier with the reflux, especially if they "drink themselves to sleep".

I thought the carseat in the crib sounded clever.

I'll think of you as I'm consuming the yummy Belgian chocolate . . .
Back to Top View hereinantwerp's Profile Search for other posts by hereinantwerp Visit hereinantwerp's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 17 2005 at 9:37am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

hereinantwerp wrote:
Well you know I'm dealing with a similar problem, but for what it's worth I've had my little girl in the crib from the beginning (I'm a terrible sleeper and just can't sleep with them in my room). But because of the reflux she could only sleep on her tummy. I know you're not supposed to do this with tiny ones, but it was that or no sleep at all, and apparently this is sometimes recommended as a safer alternative than the possibility of them choking on spit-up. I also thickened her feedings, which made the biggest difference, but then I am not nursing. Even at 7 mos. if I lay her on her back she wakes up crying and in pain within five minutes. I think the sleeping thing is trickier with the reflux, especially if they "drink themselves to sleep".

Oooh, I feel your pain...and your baby's pain! Our son had reflux and food allergies and would never sleep. We ended up doing the car seat next to the bed for a long time until we moved to the crib. We elevated the head of his crib a bit, but we also ended up putting him on his tummy. He slept much longer that way.

We got medication for him, and then I changed my diet (I was nursing). Many times the reflux is caused by milk protein intolerance, so I removed all forms of dairy, including whey and casein from my diet. It was tough...not as tough as later when I had to remove eggs and wheat...but it helped him almost night and day!

Sleeping was an issue. I could never sleep with him for several reasons, so he was in the cradle, and when that failed the car seat, and then the crib by 5-6 months.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version