Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Baseball Moms Unite! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 08 2011 at 3:58pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Hi baseball moms . If you're new to 4Real or new to baseball, please introduce yourself here. I'd love to hear your baseball stories.   

Arizona Diamondback stadium is a buzz with MLB All Star Game activites. As I type, my 15yo and 12yo sons are at Fanfest for the day. Tomorrow the whole family goes to Fanfest. On Sunday we'll watch some games (Legends? New Guys?). Monday we're off to the Home Run Derby (woo hoo!) then the big event, the All Star Game on Tuesday.

I plan to share pictures through Twitter, so wanted to invite you and your ballplayers to come along for the fun! Go National League!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 08 2011 at 5:25pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Fanfest is awesome! You'll really have fun! With thousands of your closest friends! (We went many years ago when the All Star Game was in Baltimore and loved every minute.)

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 09 2011 at 9:32pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Angie - what an exciting week you have! Your family is lucky that they aren't living with a cheap skate like me. That is a very spendy week you have planned.

The All Star game was here in 1998. Dh did take our older boys (the only ones we had at the time ) to Fanfest. They had a great time. At Fanfest he won tickets for the Home Run Derby, so the 4 of us got to go to that - we smuggled dd into the stadium in a sling pretending she was younger than she was because you needed a ticket over 2. We didn't do the All Star game itself due to cost. In retrospect they should have done it. It doesn't happen in one's hometown that often.

Have a great time - we'll be thinking of you all!!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 11 2011 at 11:35am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

ACK! I just lost a long post and only have a few minutes to catch up here.

Mary, thanks so much for your encouragement! There has been a male mutiny here...and I'm thrilled. Because we're partial season ticket holders AND because so many people think of us when they think of baseball, we got tickets for free and/or relatively cheap. Plus, we don't have to pay for parking, hotel, travel, food (too much!) So this is THE BEST STAYCATION EVER!

Devin informed me that I'm "live tweeting" so, please consider signing up to check it out AngieMc6. You can always delete your account if you end up not liking Twitter. I love it!

Fave moments from yesterday? Ian: snagging a Bryce Harper ball toss. "Just missed" getting it autographed later. Aiden: catching game ball via player Alvarez. JP: Getting pic taken with Legends Racer Mark Grace. Me: Seeing Mike Piazza! (You all may want to watch Champions of Faith to get my enthusiasm . )

Have a great week, all!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 07 2011 at 9:50am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Any moms enjoying the playoffs? Any moms suffering because of the playoffs?

Here's a top 10 reason for why we love homeschooling...we get to take the day off to watch the 2:00 playoff game between our Arizona Diamondbacks and the bad guys. I mean the Milwaukee Brewers . We are putting our money on our starting pitcher, Ian Kennedy, and our hot hitters!

Who are/were you rooting for this postseason?

Love,

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 07 2011 at 9:56am | IP Logged Quote Betsy

Our beloved Rays are already out! But, my boys have had pitching/ fielding lessons from Matt Moore and Elliot Johnson this year and they were playing in the playoffs. In fact we have been emailing Elliott during the series...how cool is that?

I wont mention that I grew up in Milwaukee thought......

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 07 2011 at 10:22am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Betsy wrote:
Our beloved Rays are already out! But, my boys have had pitching/ fielding lessons from Matt Moore and Elliot Johnson this year and they were playing in the playoffs. In fact we have been emailing Elliott during the series...how cool is that?

I wont mention that I grew up in Milwaukee thought......

Matt Moore!!!! Here's a quote from my 16yo "I want pitching lessons from Matt Moore!" He sure did pitch a great game 1. That IS cool that you are in touch with Elliott. We dig the Rays. I appreciate their "can do" spirit and quirky way of making good things happen.

Can we talk you into cheering for the Dbacks?

Love,

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 14 2012 at 8:19am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Hi baseball moms! I just started a new blog, Blessed by Baseball (link in my sig line.) I posted an invite here and wanted to be sure to invite all of you .

Any new baseball moms out there? Let us know so we can cheer for your players!

Love,

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 12 2012 at 4:42pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I have not read this thread, but just wanted to say I'm joining this "club" this spring. We are signing up our 8 year old for spring baseball.

I'm a wreck. We don't know really what to expect, and know this is the beginning of a long haul.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Kimct
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: March 14 2012 at 10:37am | IP Logged Quote Kimct

Hi! I am a big time lurker here at 4Real. However, I will introduce myself as a baseball mom. I have two boys that play baseball. This is just their second year, but going into their fourth season.

When my younger ds (now 9) first started playing baseball it was like watching someone fall in love. Head over heels, madly in love. His passion hasn't waned. My older ds has really liked baseball as well, but I don't think it's the crazy kind of in love passion that it is for younger ds. As a matter of fact, they both started wrestling this year and I think my older ds is leaning towards that as his first sport.

They both have wanted to try out for the travel team this year and I'm not sure how I would manage them both going in different directions. Also, older ds wants to continue wrestling and would like to go to tournaments this spring. I have told him that he may make some, but not all, as wrestling's season is winter and baseball is spring.

Last fall younger ds started kid pitch league and he was a pitcher. Pretty good, too. Older ds is right on the border age wise to move up a level. He has asked to stay down, though, because he knows he will get more pitching time and probably have a better season overall.

Today it is about 70 degrees here and we can't wait for baseball season to begin!! We've got 5 more weeks though!

Good luck to all the baseball players this spring!
Back to Top View Kimct's Profile Search for other posts by Kimct

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 09 2012 at 4:32pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Hey Jenn, Kim, and all Baseball Moms! How is baseball going for your players...and you?

I hit a personal record high of attending 10 live games in 3 days 3/22-24 ! These included Little League, club tourney, and high school. And I couldn't be happier .

Now that MLB has begun, who are you cheering for? We are besides ourselves with happiness that the Dbacks SWEPT SF! Where's a broom emoticon when you need one .

Love,   

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 09 2012 at 6:52pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

The Orioles and Nationals are off to winning starts this season...great fun, even if it doesn't last.

And Camden Yards is now serving (drum roll...) bacon on a stick!!!! How could that possibly be a bad thing?

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 09 2012 at 7:03pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Angie Mc wrote:
Hey Jenn, Kim, and all Baseball Moms! How is baseball going for your players...and you?

I hit a personal record high of attending 10 live games in 3 days 3/22-24 ! These included Little League, club tourney, and high school. And I couldn't be happier .

Now that MLB has begun, who are you cheering for?

Wow, Angie, that number is impressive!

Opening day for us is April 14, so all we have had is practice.

Our MLB team is the Pirates, and that just so happens to be our Little League team, too.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 04 2012 at 5:39pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

We're about halfway through the season, so I thought I'd give a little update. Short summary -- we're loving baseball, both as parents, and our son is IN LOVE with the game!!!! He's not a fabulous player, but he's learning and enjoying it. His team hasn't won once, but they are happy and sweet boys, even after losing the games.

God was really looking out for us, because we entered this league knowing no one, and we got one of the best coaches for our son. He views this Rookie 8 year to learn about baseball and have fun. He doesn't believe in fighting about calls or anything. He does discipline the boys for things that will make them better persons -- no throwing fits about positions, no rowdiness in the dugout, no making fun of each other, no talking back. I really like him.

And we're having a taste a few other coaches from other teams, especially one team in particular, that are not about the joy and learning...and it's not a pretty sight to see or to hear. I think we wouldn't finish the season if we had gotten that coach. Really, God was really looking out for us!

vmalott
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 17 2012 at 1:19pm | IP Logged Quote vmalott

Just thought I'd poke my head in before our summer season is over. We have two playing travel baseball this year (and last, for that matter) and it has been hectic.

Oldest ds (16) just attended his first showcase this afternoon, which was an...interesting...experience. He said there was a lot of standing around as they went from doing 60yd dash, outfield (he plays CF), hitting, and pitching. There were scouts from the local universities and one scout from the Mets organization, so that was cool. He will be doing two more showcases before school starts back up at the end of August.

We just got back from a trip to Myrtle Beach for our youngest player's (9U) end of season World Series tourney. The team is on the brink of falling apart, which was evident in the way they played and treated one another. They came in runner-up in the silver bracket, so...meh. Still, it was a fun beach vacation for the rest of us.

DH, who has been managing the team for 2 years, finally decided to back out and let someone else run things. I am so relieved since the summer has been extremely stressful with all the tournaments and running around. I'm so glad we're near the end. I love watching my boys play, but it's difficult to balance everything and in the end someone (usually a non-player) feels left out.

And, since we're in Cincinnati....how about those Reds???

Back to Top View vmalott's Profile Search for other posts by vmalott Visit vmalott's Homepage

allegiance_mom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 17 2012 at 5:59pm | IP Logged Quote allegiance_mom

My little one (Boy age 7) is playing two seasons of baseball this summer. He has just started on the second season. All instructional, and his coaches have been good.

My older son dropped baseball a few years ago and I think a lot of it had to do with the cut-throat attitudes of the players and coaches. He was a pretty good (not great) player and hitter. Now he concentrates on soccer.

Wife 17 years
Mom to two boys, 14 and 8, and one pre-born babe in Heaven (Jan 2010)
Back to Top View allegiance_mom's Profile Search for other posts by allegiance_mom Visit allegiance_mom's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 17 2012 at 7:00pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Jenn, glad how did things wrap up?

Val, I'm so happy for you! And proud of your players! Aiden hasn't done a showcase yet, although he has done some work leading in that direction. Right now he's in a strength & endurance program. He's hoping to be fit to show in January

Allegiance, you're right, it can be tough and its not for everyone. I literally couldn't do this if I didn't know that God was taking care of business. Phew!

Did you notice I completely ignored that Reds comment? As I type, the Reds are beating my Dbacks 1-0, bottom of 3rd. No worries .

Love,

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 08 2012 at 3:54pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

I just posed here about my DS's big catch!

He robbed a 3 run home to win the game.

Kimct
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 14 2012 at 1:50pm | IP Logged Quote Kimct

Here's our wrap up (though we are almost ready to jump into fall ball!)

Both of my boys played travel baseball this summer. It was our first time and very hectic. Dh is mostly not available to drive, so I was doing it all and finding rides when I couldn't manage to be in two different places at once.

Ds 9 was on the travel (A level team). Ds 12 didn't make the travel team so he decided to be on the B level team. They still travel and play a lot. They both had a great time and learned a lot. Mostly I think it was a good experience and I think we were very lucky with the coaches. It did leave me with some things to ponder though. I'm glad there was no yelling (or very little) and no over intensity. However, I really expected for my younger ds' coach to teach more and I wondered about some of the decisions made during the final weeks.

At this point I'm sort of considering an AAU team for fall ball for my younger ds. It is more expensive than our local in house fall ball, but I think he might gain more in terms of coaching.

Any of you have any experience with AAU teams versus local leagues?

Kim
Back to Top View Kimct's Profile Search for other posts by Kimct

vmalott
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 31 2012 at 10:14am | IP Logged Quote vmalott

Just thought I'd pop in here and see how everyone is doing. I've been away from 4Real for a while!

Our son, John, went to several showcases during the fall, mostly for the experience. Since he is only a sophomore, nobody is going to take a serious look at him until this summer. He has been getting a lot of e-mails from coaches/staff for camps, which is the only form of communication coaches can do at this point as per NCAA rules.

He has been conditioning on and off during this off season, taking hitting lessons and doing speed and strength training. He did workouts with his high school team for a month before making a HUGE decision to come back home two weeks ago for the rest of his high school education! He's going to a camp in February, since there will be coaches there from several colleges he is considering.

He will be playing with a local home school high school baseball team for the spring and then he will be with the same summer club team he has been with for the past several years. I'm excited about this summer as it will be a really important one for him. He has really improved as a consistent hitter...he's not a power hitter, but has a really good OBP. And at 6'2", he should get some looks. If only he could bulk up another 10-15 lbs or so...he'd have that "good baseball body" that scouts like to see.

Back to Top View vmalott's Profile Search for other posts by vmalott Visit vmalott's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version