Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Introductions 2009 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mary Moore
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 23 2009 at 6:14pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Moore

Jenny, in spite of all of the folks that told me not to overdo it with my kindergartener three years ago, i still did. I wished I had started a Charlotte Mason approach then. I am so impressed with your resolve to "live, read and do things together" as your "curriculum" - Good luck, and may tremendous joy follow.
Back to Top View Mary Moore's Profile Search for other posts by Mary Moore

Shell
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Sept 28 2009 at 9:43am | IP Logged Quote Shell

Hi, I'm new here. I have been home educating some of my children for nearly 5 years. We use a mostly Charlotte Mason approach-with bits of classical and autonomous thrown in.
I live in the UK and have 6 children.
Hope to get to know you here.
Back to Top View Shell's Profile Search for other posts by Shell

suzanne672004
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Sept 29 2009 at 11:12pm | IP Logged Quote suzanne672004

hi
I have been lurking here for awhile but thought i'd better join up . I'm from qld, Australia, I have 2 kids, a 4 year old girl and a 13 month old boy. I have been part time homeschooling my daughter this year and will be homeschooling her full time next year.
Suz
Back to Top View suzanne672004's Profile Search for other posts by suzanne672004

mary theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 16 2009 at 1:22pm | IP Logged Quote mary theresa

Welcome, Cassandra, Deb, Jenny, Shell and Suz! This is a great place to be!

Olivia
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Oct 21 2009 at 8:00am | IP Logged Quote Olivia

Hi, I'm new here. I've been married 2 years and have a 1 year old daughter. We live in the UK. I hope to do homeschooling and look forward to learning from you all here.
Back to Top View Olivia's Profile Search for other posts by Olivia

Nique
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 25 2009 at 11:42pm | IP Logged Quote Nique

Hey Olivia, lots of very cool UK'ers on board @ 4Real    You've come to the right place! So happy you are here!

Back to Top View Nique's Profile Search for other posts by Nique

Puffin Hen
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Oct 26 2009 at 7:43am | IP Logged Quote Puffin Hen

Hi!

What a coincidence that I'm leaping in here as I'm desperately seeking like-minded UK homeschoolers! (Especially in West Wales - play date anyone ?) I am full time wife and Mum to a super supportive husband and 4 boys aged 11 years to 8 months. Finally deciding to "Do it afraid" and homeschool my two youngest having failed to follow my leading with boys 1 and 2 (who are doing fine in public school but... well isn't there more to life?)

One day I'll tell my parents......

Thanks and blessings to all who take part in forums like these... so essential to those of us "in the wasteland."

Rachael
Back to Top View Puffin Hen's Profile Search for other posts by Puffin Hen

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 26 2009 at 8:15am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Welcome to all of you! I know you'll find such encouragement here. The boards are an amazing resource to me! Welcome! And jump right in!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

tish tosh
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Oct 27 2009 at 8:31pm | IP Logged Quote tish tosh

My name is Tosha Schiffli. I am wife to one (Chris) and mother to four. Krystiana, 9, Willow, 7, Alex, 6, and Landon 2. I am actually here because I follow Elizabeth Foss' blog! Amazing Family. Anyway, I am planning on homeschooling all four childen as they graduate from the fourth grade of their current school. I am considering pulling Willow NOW. She is in the second grade. I am experiencing the "illusion of inclusion." I have a very blessed life and I am looking forward to having the children home with me.
Back to Top View tish tosh's Profile Search for other posts by tish tosh

Lori
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 27 2009 at 9:47pm | IP Logged Quote Lori

Tosha...what an interesting coincidence...pulling them OUT of school at 4th grade...that is what I did with my oldest, and while it only lasted 2 years, it was wonderful!

Best of luck to you, and know that you will find oodles of wisdom and ideas and support here.
Back to Top View Lori's Profile Search for other posts by Lori

tish tosh
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Oct 27 2009 at 10:44pm | IP Logged Quote tish tosh

The public school that my kids attend has been very supportive. We started at a private Catholic school and switched. They would not accept my other two kids. At the new school the school guidance councilor is the mother of the head of the Tulsa Autism Center. She has a good feel for what families that have kids on the spectrum need. Tiana my oldest gets anxiety classes, Willow has therapy and an inclusion setting and my Alex (Aspergers) get social skills classes 2X per week and support in the class with an aid. They also let us go 1/2 days on Tues/ Thurs so that Willow can get extra private therapy. This school only goes to the fourth grade and is small, as far as public schools are concerned. I had heard though, that as the kids go to intermediate, etc. It gets harder. That is why we are pulling at that time. Willow is the only one that I feel needs help immediately. Why did you put your kids back?

Lori
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 27 2009 at 10:52pm | IP Logged Quote Lori

Tosha, it was a rough year last year, as I had 4 at home, all different ages and stages, and while some can do that with both hands tied behind their backs and blindfolded...I cannot! So, we decided to put them all back in public school, and reassess their individual needs for homeschooling throughout the year. I've pulled them all out in the middle of the year before, so I have no problem with doing that again, if necessary. I also had some extended family obligations with helping my grandmother, so time-wise it was a good decision, too.

All of their teachers are very open to my feedback on things they're doing in class, things sent home for homework, etc, and respect my teaching experiences, which is nice. Sounds like you're getting lots of that at your school, too...fantastic!
Back to Top View Lori's Profile Search for other posts by Lori

tish tosh
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Oct 27 2009 at 11:03pm | IP Logged Quote tish tosh

Thank you so much for sharing that with me. I wish you the best of luck. Blessings to you,
Tosha

Olivia
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Oct 28 2009 at 9:06am | IP Logged Quote Olivia

Thanks Nique, good to know other UK'ers around.
Back to Top View Olivia's Profile Search for other posts by Olivia

AtHomeScience
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 31 2009 at 6:07pm | IP Logged Quote AtHomeScience

My DH and I have been married for 11 years, and we have 3 wild and wonderful boys ages 10, 8, and 6. We have a particular fondness for science, and for math as well, though we love learning in general. I am also on FB and Twitter as AtHomeScience, with a blog by the same name.

AtHomeScience is my science resource blog.
Science of Relations is my Charlotte Mason homeschool journal
My Ginger Jar is my eclectic collection of thoughts and discoveries.

I am really looking forward to meeting people here!
Back to Top View AtHomeScience's Profile Search for other posts by AtHomeScience Visit AtHomeScience's Homepage

Mary Fifer
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 08 2009 at 10:50pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Fifer

Hello, I am Mary Fifer and am very glad to have found a Catholic Charlotte Mason group that has what looks like a great amount of experience and advice. I am at an easier stage of homeschooling now, since my oldest two are still home and help with the studies and chores; and my youngest, so far, is almost 6.

We are a Catholic homeschooling family with eight children. Daddy works at a tire factory, usually on second shift. We have been homeschooling now for five years after a grueling eight years "in school" that risked the hardships of looksay and bad association. We had homeschooled for three years before that. We have learned so much by all three experiences! We don't regret any of them. 16 years ago we felt that homeschooling was nearly illegal, and homeschooled for three years with that "Don't open the drapes!" feeling. We are so grateful for the apparent freedom we have now and the stupefying technological benefits like Dr. Shoremann's DIVE!!! There are so many more helps now that I wish we had known about even when we were in school! Forums like this have been the way that we have learned about so many short cuts and benefits.

I am not very web-savy, and I only hope that I am using words like "forum" and "thread" well. I am a bit link and title blind, as exclaimed by my children! I continue to miss things on pages because I don't think to scroll down....

We have moved to a Laura Berquist, Robinson Method, Karen Andreola mode for school, using Catholic books where we can, and are so grateful to these people for making home a better environment for learning for our whole family. We are particularily grateful for what Our Lady of Victory and Seton have done and wish we had known more about Laura Berquist and Emmanuel Books (like Jennifer Mackintosh said - a smattering of something from many Catholic home school curriculum providers. We still have six studying at home. The oldest two are helping me with flashcards, workbooks and science. We all look forward to being here - from what we see already, there is good information and a lovely group of dedicated ladies!

We also have a small flock of nine chickens, one dog and a large garden on 2.4 acres with many fruit, nut and flower trees (two consecutive retired couples had lived here before we bought the house) so we have plenty of "real" life learning. We love being outside together gardening. (We are not practitioners of any land-movement :) Right now we are watching our first real Pecan crop begin to drop! Easter egg hunt every day!

Our second oldest plays oboe, piano, recorder and one hot penny whistle - she is in the Topeka Youth Orchestra this year. Our oldest and fourth of the children play piano with some skill, one plays violin a bit and several can play tunes on the recorder. Thank God! Neither Daddy nor I play anything! They have just kept working at it, of course we finally did get an instructor to teach the oboe for about a year and a half!

Our biggest effort is our St. Anne's Helper Audio Catechism and Catechism Copybooks (Printable Worksheets). As a matter of fact, searching for First Communion ideas was how we found this forum! Our oldest two are thrilled to have learned so much while helping to build this site. St. Anne is our patron saint for our school (St. Anne's Academy) and our business. I've seen this forum oft and on for over a year and gotten several good ideas or encouragements from it. Thanks!

Mary and Elizabeth have sent a wonderful welcome so I am doubly happy to be here. I have been so buzy these last five years that I hadn't realized how much I miss our rocker time with 3 to 4 of us in a rocker snuggled in to read a book or say Rosary!

Hello to all and thank you for this opportunity.

Mary Fifer
Wife of 22 years to one and mother to 8 with 7 in God's care
St. Anne's Helper
www.roman-catholic-catechism.com
Back to Top View Mary Fifer's Profile Search for other posts by Mary Fifer Visit Mary Fifer's Homepage

laylarose08
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Nov 10 2009 at 5:25pm | IP Logged Quote laylarose08

Hello! I'm Layla. My husband and I are expecting our first (estimated due date is our 2nd anniversary: 6/14/10). We feel called to homeschool when the time comes, and the Real Learning approach is very attractive.

I'm really looking forward to getting to know everyone here!
Back to Top View laylarose08's Profile Search for other posts by laylarose08

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 10 2009 at 5:44pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

laylarose08 wrote:
Hello! I'm Layla. My husband and I are expecting our first (estimated due date is our 2nd anniversary: 6/14/10). We feel called to homeschool when the time comes, and the Real Learning approach is very attractive.

I'm really looking forward to getting to know everyone here!

Welcome, Layla! Our anniversary is 6/14 too--of 2003. We're not officially homeschooling yet either as our children are still little--there are a lot of us in that boat here, I think. Lots to learn here, though, so jump right in!

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

ChelseaRae
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Nov 10 2009 at 7:12pm | IP Logged Quote ChelseaRae

Hi everyone!!

I have been lurking for months and finally decided to take the plunge and join in.

Dh and I have been married for 3 years and have a 2.5yo dd and a 7mo ds. We are only 23 so we don't really fit in with many of our peers with our Catholic family ways.

I have always wanted to homeschool and when I read Real Learning I knew it was perfect for our family, I absolutely loved it!! Mary (dd) has been begging me to teach her to read (she was a very early talker) so we are practicing letter sounds and sounding out small words.

I have been following quite a few of your blogs for a while and you can't imagine my delight at seeing you all here in one place!
Back to Top View ChelseaRae's Profile Search for other posts by ChelseaRae

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 10 2009 at 8:43pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Welcome all new members - I'm catching up here for the last few weeks of memberships. It's great to have you here - several of you have such great experience to share and it's so exciting to see the enthusiasm of those of you who are still some anticipating homeschooling in the future. You sure plan ahead!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version