Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Introductions 2009 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Nique
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 17 2009 at 8:50pm | IP Logged Quote Nique

This is so exciting and wonderful at the same time to see so many new faces, er.. names!   
We are truly blessed to have you all here! Thank you!!

Back to Top View Nique's Profile Search for other posts by Nique

yitlan
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 18 2009 at 9:39pm | IP Logged Quote yitlan

Hello, all. I've been a lurker for awhile but recently have been looking into CM's ideas and incorporating them into our homeschooling. I have three girls, 7, 5 and 2. I use CHC materials, Singpore math and more living books these days. I recently ordered the Real Learning book and am looking forward to receiving it. I remembered there was a Catholic site that would help me incorporate faith AND CM's ideas and just had to join (finally)!
Back to Top View yitlan's Profile Search for other posts by yitlan

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Aug 18 2009 at 9:49pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Welcome Gretchen, Mary, and yitlan! This is a wonderful place for connecting, answering questions, and seeking resources! The ladies here are a blessing!   

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

imcatholic
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 19 2009 at 7:08am | IP Logged Quote imcatholic

Hi I'm Beth, I've been homeschooling since 1998. We have 4 ds ages 16, 13, 9, 7, and 2 in heaven. We are a very eclectic homeschooling family. I'm always looking for new ideas.
Back to Top View imcatholic's Profile Search for other posts by imcatholic Visit imcatholic's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Aug 19 2009 at 7:14am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

BETH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's so good to **see** you here!!!!

Welcome!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

dakotamidnight
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 20 2009 at 6:23am | IP Logged Quote dakotamidnight

Hi, I'm Darla, home schooling mom to DD who is turning 3 in 3 weeks. We're planning on using CHC and starting her with their kindergarten materials some time in the next year or so.
Back to Top View dakotamidnight's Profile Search for other posts by dakotamidnight Visit dakotamidnight's Homepage

KristineM
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 21 2009 at 3:08pm | IP Logged Quote KristineM

Hi, I'm Kristine, a long-time lurker who finally decided to join in. :-) I'm mom to four (ages 9-12) and fairly new to homeschooling and the Catholic church.
Back to Top View KristineM's Profile Search for other posts by KristineM

CarlaF
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 25 2009 at 1:13am | IP Logged Quote CarlaF

Hello, I'm Carla and am new to homeschooling (just one year under my belt). I am completely new to this style of homeschooling, but I am fascinated with the idea -- excited and nervous all at once to begin striving in this direction.     I've been reading a lot online and looking at Real Learning a lot....I hope to peruse the forum and find encouragement and inspiration for myself...I'm not very good at thinking outside the box of traditional education! That's all for now from me!
Back to Top View CarlaF's Profile Search for other posts by CarlaF

OzMumJ
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Sept 01 2009 at 11:22am | IP Logged Quote OzMumJ

Hi Everyone!

I'm an Australian-born Canadian-based mother of two November babies (she'll be 4 and he'll be 1 this year). I'm on a research mission with regards to this homeschooling topic at the moment, in the hope that over the coming year it will help to enable us to decide if this route is for us and if so, how I will need to go about it.

Thanks in advance for all the help I'm sure I'll get on the board here . Please be patient with me while I learn to navigate my way around the site!
Back to Top View OzMumJ's Profile Search for other posts by OzMumJ

Nique
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 01 2009 at 12:59pm | IP Logged Quote Nique

HELLO OzMumJ, CarlaF, KristineM and dakotamidnight,

We are delighted to have you "on board"! Thank you, all of you! Being on the 4Real Forums has really taught me alot about my faith and how to live it by example..I'm still learning so much from these beautiful Moms! Just knowing you'll fit right in

Keepmehome
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Sept 09 2009 at 7:06pm | IP Logged Quote Keepmehome

I am from Pennsylvania. I have homeschooled my four children 11,9,7 & 6. Two boys and two girls. I have been visiting this forum for a couple of years off and on. I have gained so much peace of mind from the different things I have read here. There are moments of frustration and doubt that I have been reluctant to share because it has always seemed that everyone else has the "perfect" family/homeschool. To read that another mother gets a dish of ice-cream and eats it from a coffee mug or in the bathroom -- all this time I thought I was really strange and nobody would understand why I lock myself in the bedroom with a bowl of ice-cream and cookies with chocolate syrup and tell the kids 'I am "praying" go back downstairs.' (I am praying, I just eat ice-cream while I pray.) I am sure everyone has different issues, but it is nice to have someone with whom to share the fears and doubts. Thank you.
Back to Top View Keepmehome's Profile Search for other posts by Keepmehome

nonoruns
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Sept 14 2009 at 8:52am | IP Logged Quote nonoruns

Hi everyone!

I just received my notice of approval to join, and it said first stop was to come here and introduce myself. Since I'm the product of 12 years of schooling in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia, there was no way I couldn't come here immediately and fulfill that directive!

I am in my mid-40s, of European decent, and born in the U.S. My husband is also in his mid-40s, of Chinese decent, and born in Malaysia. Our daughter is 5. We adopted her at 13 mo. old, and she was born in China. Our son is 2. We adopted him at 6 mo. old, and he was born in Taiwan.

I'm Roman Catholic and my husband is Taoist. Our children are Episcopalian. Have you got all this? 'Cause there might be a quiz later!

Anyway, I never doubted that we'd homeschool. I was fortunate in that my older sister and my cousins on both sides of the family have done so. I'm also fortunate that my MIL has had no objections to this point.

Thank you very much for allowing me to join. We're on our 3rd week of kindergarten (afternoon, while my son sleeps) and loving it!
Back to Top View nonoruns's Profile Search for other posts by nonoruns

CathN
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Sept 14 2009 at 11:26pm | IP Logged Quote CathN

Hi there
I recently found out about this forum from another Aussie forum where I was asking about catechesis materials and I was so excited when I started looking around here that I just wanted to join straight away!

I'm Cath and I have a 4 year old daughter and 1 year old son as well as another son in heaven (seeing so many of you openly sharing about your little ones in heaven was very touching for me! I so long for my extended family to think of David as our third child and very much part of our family but alas...)

We have been dabbling in homeschool this year (my daughter LOVES it) and I am really excited about starting more "formal" school next year with Sonlight. At the moment I think I will start with Image of God for catechesis unless anyone has other suggestions! As far as doctrine goes, we are as orthodox as can be but our spirituality embraces a much more contemporary, charismatic flavour than some of the catechesis materials I have seen. I'm also very interested in fostering compassion and understanding in our kids and some catechesis seems to be quite defensive in nature.

Ah, anyway. I was just so pleased to find a community of Catholic people who are really seriously trying to live the call to love God and neighbour! I don't have many Catholic soul buddies who are on the same wavelength as me. I know many faithful souls but most are of the traditional piety variety (which I admire but my heart connects with Jesus by doing other spiritual practices), and those who are more in tune with me spiritually are not parents yet, or they are monks or sisters!

Plus we move every few years with my husband's work that it's hard to make and maintain deep friendships...

Anyway, I hope to receive much encouragement here and also offer it when I am able.

Thanks for reading my ramble!

Cath
Back to Top View CathN's Profile Search for other posts by CathN

Nique
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 15 2009 at 12:11am | IP Logged Quote Nique

Keepmehome, nonoruns and CathN, what a breath of fresh air you all are! Thank you, from all of us here! Looking forward to seeing you more often!!!

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 15 2009 at 7:56am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Welcome ladies:) and a particular welcome to my fellow Aussies:)

May you all be blessed by your time here, I know our family has been enriched by the friendships and support.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 15 2009 at 8:32am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Wow - so many new names! WELCOME!!!

Cherishedheart
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Sept 15 2009 at 6:03pm | IP Logged Quote Cherishedheart

Welcome ladies,
As fairly new to the Forum I am sure you will find it a place of comfort and support, as well as a place of such wonderful knowledge as I have.
Go9d Bless

baby Trahaearn
Cherished Hearts At Home
Back to Top View Cherishedheart's Profile Search for other posts by Cherishedheart Visit Cherishedheart's Homepage

stmonica
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Sept 16 2009 at 1:07pm | IP Logged Quote stmonica

Hi all! I am Cassandra,wife to Jay and mother to 5. We are just beginnign our first year using MODG and while trying to schedule the curriculum is a nightmare, I am told it gets easier with time. (I have learned that hope is a mainstay when it comes to homeschooling!)

We are nurturing out domstic church in hopes that our children will love, embrace and spread the Catholic faith as they grow, and I have been told that this is the place to go to do it!

I look forward to meeting you all!

Blessings,
Cassandra
Back to Top View stmonica's Profile Search for other posts by stmonica

deeg
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Sept 16 2009 at 4:43pm | IP Logged Quote deeg

Hi everyone! It's so exciting to have found this forum!

I'm Deb, from the Twin Cities in Minnesota. I have an awesome husband, and two beautiful dds ages 11 and 9. This is our fourth year homeschooling and I still feel new. We've done a variety of curriculums since pulling the girls from our local catholic school, including curriculum from our school district, Lifepacs, Well Trained Mind, CHC, and Real Learning. We've learned so much more with real books and have lots planned for our new school year. We are really enjoying Connecting with History.

I can't wait to meet everyone and learn even more. I don't have a blog, but would love to someday. I'd also like to figure out how to "socialize" my kids more. We aren't involved in much and the only homeschool friends we have aren't Catholic, which is tough at times. We'd love to make new friends that share our Catholic faith and grow our domestic church together. Thanks for reading!

Blessings,
Deb
Back to Top View deeg's Profile Search for other posts by deeg

JennyM
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Sept 23 2009 at 4:48pm | IP Logged Quote JennyM

Hello!

My name is Jenny and I'm so excited to have joined this forum. I have been married a little over three years to my wonderful husband who is currently in his last year of law school. We have one beautiful daughter with us, and she bring us much joy. I formerly worked in parish religious education and as a high school theology teacher, but quit that to "work" at home when our daughter was born.

Our daughter is not yet two, but we know we are being led to homeschool. I am ever grateful to God for calling us so clearly to something that I never even considered until one day when our daughter was a newborn the desire and need to live this way overwhelmed me. No decision has ever been so clear to me- meaning I have never agonized over it or been kept awake anxiously considering the pros and cons- and the Lord just keeps bringing more peace and excitement to our hearts as we begin our journey! I know that homeschooling is more than just the formal education, but the life we choose to lead with our children- and I am so excited about that. I'm sure that right now I sound much like an idealistic newbie, but I hope in part that this forum will help to keep me focused on our ideals through our journey. I have been encouraged by so many of you already.

Of course we haven't officially begun our home education, but I have read much that has really appealed to me and I have a fairly good idea of the philosophies we will rely on. Much of it is common here (so thankful for all of you to learn from!)- Montessori principles, Charlotte Mason, real learning... love it all and can't wait to "use" it. My task now is not to get ahead of myself and schedule my daughter's preschool years to the tee. :) One thing I've already learned from many of you here is that the preschool years do not necessarily require lots of curriculum- just living, reading, and doing everyday things together.

I look forward to learning from all of you and am grateful that a forum like this exists to encourage one another in our vocations!

Blessings,
Jenny

Back to Top View JennyM's Profile Search for other posts by JennyM

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version