Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Introductions 2009 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
HeatherS
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 24 2009 at 9:47pm | IP Logged Quote HeatherS

Hello everyone,
My name is Heather, and I will be married to Matt for seven years as of the day after Easter. We have 4 little girls - Margaret (5-1/2), Jessica (4-1/2), Catherine (3) and Elizabeth (19 mos.).
I've been lurking here for a long time soaking in all of the beautiful insights and ideas. 5 things about me/us...
*I am a transplant from the suburbs of Chicago to Central IL...A city girl who married the son of a farmer. My dh is an electrician by trade, but would trade that job in for farming in a heartbeat if he could.
*We are part of a Classical Conversations community here in Central IL, and are using the Foundations Guide as the spine of our learning at home.
*I also incorporate Montessori (our 2 oldest girls are in an Atrium here), CM and Sonlight LA and many of their read-alouds. We also use Right Start Math.
*In my free time I love, love, love to read just about anything. And drink coffee.
*I also enjoy hiking/walking and gardening...I am a novice at that, gardening that is. My dh is more the outdoors/gardening expert around here.
In Christ, heather
Back to Top View HeatherS's Profile Search for other posts by HeatherS

Mountain_Mi
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: March 27 2009 at 8:17pm | IP Logged Quote Mountain_Mi

Hello...I'm brand new here and have recently moved cross country from AZ to VA, so I'm unsettled all around. My name is Heidi, and I've been married to my husband Kevin for 4.5 years. We currently have a daughter Blaise (3) and a son Roman (9mo).
I'm restraining myself from that impulse to "start" school asap before I have to, but am consciously covering various topics in our playtime as they arise...math and lunchtime go together very well we've found...I have the materials for CHC pre-k and k and do LOTS of read aloud time...
I'm looking forward to gaining knowledge from all of you and finding support in the future as I work to find our path. I can't wait though!
Back to Top View Mountain_Mi's Profile Search for other posts by Mountain_Mi

RA's Mom
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 04 2009 at 6:00am | IP Logged Quote RA's Mom

My name is Karen. I was baptized and initiated into the Catholic Church on Glorious Saturday 2007. I carried my first child into the water with me as our Polish priest says “under my heart” while my husband Joe stood beside me.

We're currently living in Ashgabat, Turkmenistan where Joe works at the US Embassy. We live in a housing compound with four other families with small children. They play together with their Russian-speaking nannies every morning while I volunteer as an English teacher and work on my Ph.D. dissertation.

I'm the oldest of six children and we all spent our formative years at the same Montessori preschool, five of us with the same little Italian teacher. I still love to touch the materials and have been deeply moved to encounter the spiritual dimensions of Montessori's belief in freedom through discipline.

There is an international school program here but homeschooling seems like the best preschool option and I've always had it in mind as a fall-back for coping with the frequent transitions of this lifestyle. But I'm increasingly meditating on its possibilities for helping me fulfill my vocations as a wife and a mother as well as a teacher.

RA is still only nineteen months old now and my only baby so far, so there's lots of time to explore. I'm looking forward to doing some of that exploring here with other mothers to mentor me in my prayer life.

Peace and blessings,
Karen
Back to Top View RA's Mom's Profile Search for other posts by RA's Mom

joyfulmamaof3
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 14 2009 at 4:42pm | IP Logged Quote joyfulmamaof3

Hello,
My name is Joy and dh and I live with our 3 boys in Indiana. Our oldest just turned 16 and has been homeschooled for the past few years. We'll be enrolling him in Clonlara's homeschooling program this fall. Our younger boys attend a local Montessori school, but will be home this fall, as well. So far, I'm planning to use mostly CHC items for them, along with First Start French from Memoria Press and Joan Stromberg's unit studies for history. Nathan, our third grader, will receive his First Holy Communion on April 26, and the following week, Richard (the teenager) will be Confirmed. I love reading the great suggestions and advice on this forum and look forward to being able to join in on posting!
Back to Top View joyfulmamaof3's Profile Search for other posts by joyfulmamaof3

Livin4Him
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 15 2009 at 12:06am | IP Logged Quote Livin4Him

Well Hello Everyone!
It is my honor to take part of such a wonderful community. I was so happy to "stumble" upon this site. I have learned so much from so many of you. Oh yes, I almost forgot a little about myself....

My name is Kelly and I am Saved through God's Grace.
I have been married for 10 years today !!! We attend a Christian church that believes that the Bible is God's perfect and living Word. I am so thankful that God sent His Son that we may live life with abundance. We live in Colorado and enjoy it here, we moved from AZ. Yes quit the change, but have a wonderful community. We have two amazing children our son is 10 and our daughter is almost 8. We have had our children in public school and charter schools. HOwever God never allowed me to have peace with those decisions. So I finally gave in and did it His way. You know life is so much easier when we do things His way - but my pride ususally takes me the long route. I am so thankful I serve a God who is so very patient with me!

So this is our first year of homeschooling and I have had so much fun. And the kids are having fun too. We were worried about our daughter because she first felt like it was a punishment. But the other day she asked if she could be homeschooled thru college! How precious! And how thankful I was that God allowed that spark of encouragement to me. He is so wonderful!

We do a hodgepodge when it comes to curriculum. We have been truly blessed with Math-U-See. For History we used Sonlight this year, might change to Beautiful Feet for American History next year, Handwriting Without Tears, Shirley Grammar, and Apologia for science. But always up for new and creative ideas!

Thank you again for allowing me to take part of your community. I am looking forward to sharing and learning from all of your wisdom. Thank you and may God bless each of you and your families!

By His Grace,
Kelly Sargent
Back to Top View Livin4Him's Profile Search for other posts by Livin4Him

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 15 2009 at 12:18am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Welcome to all the recently joined members - especially those who joined during the Holy Week break and had to wait to do their intros .

What a beautiful story of your baptism and entrance into the Church, Karen. At our Vigil we had a young mommy be confirmed and enter into the Church along with her new baby who was baptised, while happy daddy looked on. It was wonderful.

Pleae join us in conversation in your favorite forums!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

krystab
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 15 2009 at 10:50pm | IP Logged Quote krystab

I am so glad I found this group....well I have been here before, but this time the forum had several posts that immediately spoke to me that I needed to be here.
My name is Krysta, married to DH 10 years on April 9. We have four DC now, with number 5 due in October. Oldest is a girl almost 9, the rest are boys, 7,4, & 2. So everyone here is rooting for a girl!
We have been homeschooling for 3 years and I have tried a variety of structured curriculums. Like CHC, MODG, and OLVS. I always have to tweak, but find that easier for me than starting from scratch. I so love the look of Serendipity or MA but my need for structure has held me back. Maybe you guys will help me overcome this need.
Already this forum helped me let go of this guilt for using things that weren't Catholic. Especially for my daughter who doesn't like to learn in that "normal" way. I went back to a curriculum called Moving Beyond the Page for her that fits her needs perfectly. I stopped using it last year because it wasn't Catholic and I was feeling guilty. And it was just way to much fun for her, so she must not be learning, right? Well, now I realize it was fun because it fits her learning style to a "T".
My 7yo boy is using OLVS with Singapore math and it actually fits him very, very well. My 4yo boy (5 in June) is really ready to start more formal learning. He walks around here telling me that this word and that word has the same sound, asking what this word is, adding and counting up to 40 so far. I guess this is the product of being around homeschooling since he was one. He has gleaned so much just from being in the environment.
Looking forward to meeting you all.
Krysta
Back to Top View krystab's Profile Search for other posts by krystab Visit krystab's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 16 2009 at 10:03am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Welcome, welcome, welcome! I look forward to reading about your home educating adventure . Thank you for the introductions.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 24 2009 at 1:23pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

Hello,
My name is Kathryn and I was referred to this group by a gal in our church's local homeschool group. I have 3 blessings: a girl age 10 in 4th grade, a son age 8 1/2 in 2nd grade and a sweet baby girl aged 20 months. My husband and I have been married for 16 years and I'm a convert (Easter 1992) and he's a cradle Catholic. We are both born and bred Texans in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

My 2 oldest currently attend our local Catholic school (Keller, TX) however I will be homeschooling them this Fall for a variety of reasons. Sooo, starting this journey as they enter 5th grade and 3rd grade is a little overwhelming. Or may be it's all the choices! My head is spinning. I've done nothing but read, read, read a lot of books on different styles for the past few months and now it's even seeping into my dreams I've read so much! ha ha

I think I'm still clueless as to the approach we'll take. I've rec'd lots of catalogs and looked at many curriculum choices but still undecided what will work so I will prob. post questions in another forum but wanted to say hi here.

Back to Top View Kathryn's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn

loveoflearn
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 25 2009 at 1:46am | IP Logged Quote loveoflearn

Hello,

Thank you for including me in the 4Real Forum . I was recently referred here for support of our Charlotte Mason, Montessori, Classical approach to home education.

My husband and I (both converts) have been blessed with five children: dd 8, dd 5 1/2, ds 3, in heaven 9/8/07, and ds 6 mo. We have been home educating from the beginning and are enjoying the Family journey. On a side note, I have brought the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd into our home.

I look forward to conversing.

Danielle

John Paul II's Familiaris Consortio ...Families be who you are
Back to Top View loveoflearn's Profile Search for other posts by loveoflearn

KauaiCatholic
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 27 2009 at 5:06am | IP Logged Quote KauaiCatholic

Aloha! My name is Viviane, mama to Jonah Augustine (7) and Sophia Marie (4 in June) and wife to an exceptionally kind DH (11 years next month). Also next month, I turn 39, about which I'm in the process of trying to decide how I feel.

We are both grateful-to-be-cradle Catholics who grew up in the Pacific Northwest. About 4 years ago, God dropped in our laps the perfect job for my DH ... in Hawaii, of all places. As if that wasn't enough, I got to leave my full-time career in newspapers and homeschool these two precious gifts, which is why I'm here in your midst. (That, and a divinely inspired suggestion from MacBeth.) His kindness indeed is overflowing.

My HS style is a work in progress, but I have learned to answer curriculum-related queries with, "I use a Charlotte Mason inspired approach, utilizing living books, unit studies and hands-on learning." (I'm still working on saying this with as much confidence as it deserves.) We take lots of field trips and I think we're going to tackle RightStart math next year (thanks to the discussions I've read here). I am finding great satisfaction creating unit studies around whatever we have going on; for instance, an upcoming trip to visit family in Idaho and Washington spawned a science/art/writing curriculum we're calling "Zoo Critters." (Our nearest zoo here is an island away, so we're all pretty excited about the chance to see Boise and Seattle.)

Because, while Kauai is predictably idyllic, it is also very rural, rife with cultural sensitivities and extremely isolated. This forum has been a lifeline of information and inspiration. I have been blessed with such a sense of peace and focus since I began reading these posts; my home now has a family altar and my homeschooling spirit a fresh breath of life, thanks to you ladies. May each of you be abundantly blessed for all you do, and share, and are! As they say here, Mahalo nui loa for your kokua!
Back to Top View KauaiCatholic's Profile Search for other posts by KauaiCatholic

Blestwith8
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 30 2009 at 5:00pm | IP Logged Quote Blestwith8

Hi, I'm Connie. My Hubby Jim and I are the parents of 8 Blessings. 2 by birth and 6 adopted from Foater Care (DON"T DO FOSTER CARE) The kids are amazing the Social Workers are frightening!
Kate is our eldest and 29yo. She has her Pre-Law degree and is currently completing her certification to be a Para Legal. Adam is 27 and Married to Jessica. The met at Carroll College in Mt. They are the parents of Peter Daniel, the worlds most perfect grandchild! At home are Josh Jimmy age 12, Molly age 11, Steven age 10, Susie age 9 and Thomas soon to be 7.
I am a cradle Catholic returning after a decade+ away. Thrilled to be home. Jim is Baptist, but very interested in Catholism and very supportive of my and the childrens return.
We live on 8 acres in Eastrn Wa state, about 35 miles NE of Spokane. I love rural life and all that goes with it.
Homeschooling we are a mix. I have very interesting children. I am excited to be on this board. Thanks Jodie!
Back to Top View Blestwith8's Profile Search for other posts by Blestwith8

Mary Moore
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 07 2009 at 12:46am | IP Logged Quote Mary Moore

Mary Moore here from Mesa, AZ, also a fellow lurker, now prompted out into the committer-zone of 4Real by my dear friend AngieMc. Delighted to be outed by her and able now tell you all how much i have learned in my month of lurking.

I am in my third year of homeschooling now and have three children ranging in age from 2 to 7. I am also the blessed bride of ten years of a lovely convert from God's country (aka Texas).

Have used primarily MODG and CHC up until now and looking forward to wading out into new waters with Charlotte Mason, hopefully to find some peace that comes with a REAL learning approach.

Also looking forward to milking you all for advice...and sharing my lack of experience.

blessings,
Mary
-----------------
Wife to Mark, Mom to Hannah (7), Ethan (5), SaraBeth (2) and two saints in heaven, Ben and Lucy.
Back to Top View Mary Moore's Profile Search for other posts by Mary Moore

Evette
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 12 2009 at 11:02am | IP Logged Quote Evette

Hello! Like several of the new members I have lurked on and off here for several years.
I live in Delaware with my family. I am 33 years old. I started dating my husband 18 years ago this month. He is a wonderful man. We are both cradle Catholics. We have three sons. Two are June babies. They will be 13 years old and 6 years old. Then our youngest will be 1 year old on July 1st! Sadly we have lost four babies through miscarriage.
I have been homeschooling four years. I love it! We have our ups and downs, but I truly feel that schooling my children is what God wants me to do. We use a mix of curriculums and read, read, read! My oldest would stay up all night reading if I let him.
You all seem like a wonderful group of women. I am excited to be here!
Back to Top View Evette's Profile Search for other posts by Evette

Janet
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 16 2009 at 6:47am | IP Logged Quote Janet

Hi, I'm Janet, mom to 6 ages 18-7 (3 boys, 3 girls) and married to my very patient husband for 21 years. I homeschooled the older ones in the elementary years; am homeschooling the youngest, and am feeling very called to bring the middle school aged ones back home for school starting in the fall. I have older adoptees who are still learning English, so I'm still sorting out how to build a plan that will help them along the way.

I was so happy to stumble across this website yesterday; reading through all the posts in "Hidden Treasure" especially blessed me.   I feel so at home and so inspired by all the amazing families here. Thanks for letting my join in!

Janet
Back to Top View Janet's Profile Search for other posts by Janet

Stacy Y
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 19 2009 at 11:29am | IP Logged Quote Stacy Y

Hi, I'm Stacy, mom to 5 kids under the age of 6, married for 8 years. My husband and I are both recent Catholic converts. I've been homeschooling for just this one year (my oldest is Kindergarten age) and it was a bit of a disaster, so I'm excited to get on line and figure out how to make this work in a family with so many other young kids.
Back to Top View Stacy Y's Profile Search for other posts by Stacy Y

tissuebox
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 21 2009 at 8:56am | IP Logged Quote tissuebox

Hi, My name is Char and I recently joined the 4real site.
I am happily married for 15 years with four children rangeing in age from 14 down to 2 years of age. We have been homeschooling since the beginning. I continue to enjoy it. My oldest will be starting at the local New Tech High School in the fall however. We, as a family, enjoy learning and following the liturgical year celebrations and feast days. I'm always looking for new ideas on how to celebrate them. My hobbies include geneology and history, cooking and baking.

Char
Back to Top View tissuebox's Profile Search for other posts by tissuebox

antonina31
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 21 2009 at 3:42pm | IP Logged Quote antonina31

Hi. I'm Jenny, married ten years, cradle Catholic, blessed with two children, so far. Our daughter is six, finishing up first grade. Our son will be four next month and is finishing up preschool. I think I'm 32 (always forgetting).

We have always homeschooled, and I am just starting to really enjoy it. That said, we use books for school not a curriculum. I pick and choose from everywhere, it seems, and that has left our schooling a little scattered. (a little from Mater Amablis, Ambleside, FIAR, and Serendipity, but mostly just whatever looks good) I hope to get more active on the forums to help myself focus and pull it all together more cohesively. I have been lurking here off and on for several years.

Anyway, home is Texas, but we were in Michigan for three years and are in Florida for now. I enjoy my family, my friends, my faith, writing, and reading lots and lots of books!

Looking forward to getting to know you better,

Jenny
Back to Top View antonina31's Profile Search for other posts by antonina31

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 21 2009 at 4:00pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Welcome to all of our new members and those of you coming out of "lurkdom"!!! Thanks for sharing a little about yourselves. It is always great to put a "story" with a name when I see your posts in other forums!

I am sure you will love it here, as I do!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

hsmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 03 2009 at 4:27pm | IP Logged Quote hsmom

Hi, I've been a member here awhile, but haven't been active lately. Time for that to change! I am currently only hs'ing one 11yo dd. Next year will be my 13th year hs'ing.
Back to Top View hsmom's Profile Search for other posts by hsmom

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version