Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Introductions 2009 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mary E
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 24 2009 at 12:59pm | IP Logged Quote Mary E

Hello,

My name is Mary. I've been lurking for a few months after a homeschooling crisis (which I've been having for a couple of years and is continuing) and reading Real Learning.

I have three wonderful children, 14, 11, and 8. My husband has a chronic illness and has been off work for almost two years, and miraculously his company is keeping his job and paying sick benefits. (God is merciful!) He is a great man, very selfless, eclipsing me in goodness without effort. In education, however, he sits on the sidelines - verbally supportive but unable to help or contribute in any way.

Sooooooo, I guess I'm finally coming out from hiding because I need good ideas and conversation with other homeschoolers who "understand". I'm so impressed with all you ladies who have so many children and are accomplishing so much. At the same time, it's very humbling to see this while I am drowning in my personal morass of imcompetency.

By the way, I live in Southern California. I am grateful beyond comprehension for my faith, for my Jesus , for my Blessed Mother ! They have bestowed so many graces upon my children despite my mistakes, how can I help but know that everything will turn out all right in the end?!
Back to Top View Mary E's Profile Search for other posts by Mary E

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 24 2009 at 1:48pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Welcome Mary! Prayers for all your intentions. And I have to thank you for your quote about incompetence. I'm going to use it whenever anyone asks me how I'm doing in February: "I am drowning in my personal morass of incompetency." I love it!

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

MNMommy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 27 2009 at 7:06am | IP Logged Quote MNMommy

Hi! My name is Jennifer, and I am the proud but tired mom of 4 beautiful young children. We have homeschooled from the start, which hasn't been for very long, but it's all we know. I've lurked here for almost two years and finally decided to join as I was finishing our lenten preparations. It feels so good to be here officially.

This month we moved from a wonderful homeschool life in Texas to a remote, teeny tiny town in extremely rural MN. Now that we are here, the local homeschooling population has doubled and the number of kids in mass has quadrupled. I need Catholic homeschooling support!!!

Our home is full of wonder, excitement, and motion. We are FIAR rowers, nature lovers, and book devourers.
Back to Top View MNMommy's Profile Search for other posts by MNMommy

cdaaec
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 27 2009 at 12:18pm | IP Logged Quote cdaaec

Hello!

My name is Dena and I have been lurking here long enough! It's time to register! My husband and I have been married almost 10 years and have 5 children in Heaven and 4 children here on earth...we are currently expecting...but I'll post more about that in prayer requests. We have been using CHC from the beginning. This group has helped me so much already!!! Looking forward to being an actual member!

I forgot to mention we live in Kansas.

Thanks! Dena
Back to Top View cdaaec's Profile Search for other posts by cdaaec

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 27 2009 at 1:06pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Hello! My name is Caroline. I have been married for 28 years to the same wonderful man and we have 8 children here on earth and 2 in heaven. Our six boys and three girls range in age from 26 to 6, with a set of 7-yr. old twins. We also have two beautiful grandbabies, and a lovely daughter-in-law! I have homeschooled all of my children always, although the twins and baby did go to a local church preschool for a few hours a week for two years, just because I needed a little break! I converted to the Catholic Church in 1998 from evangelical, non-denominational Protestantism, and I feel so grateful and blessed that God called me and gave me the grace of conversion. I help teach RCIA and also a weekly Bible study at my local parish (this year on St. Paul, of course!), and I ran our Catholic home-school coop for several years (B.T., that's before twins ). One of my twins has special needs, and that has caused me to really have to work much harder at finding and using curriculum that is appropriate for him. I have loved all the wonderful ideas presented on this forum. The energy, creativity, and enthusiasm of so many of the women is inspiring! I hope I can offer in return the long-term perspective that might help some.
As far as curriculum goes, we've tried it all and are still trying it all! I am very attracted to the gentle approach of the 4Real forum, and also I love incorporating the liturgical year into our daily lives. Now, if only I could suddenly become crafty and creative ! Of my older four children, two have graduated from college and two are in college, so it does work out in the long run!
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

Gratiae ut Deus
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 27 2009 at 5:39pm | IP Logged Quote Gratiae ut Deus

Hello! I don't feel at all confident that I know what I'm doing here. Oh well, good hummility right?!

Hmmm, well...I'm a Colorado girl ; a Catholic home-educating sahm of 7 children (4boys and 3 girls)-from age 11 to 2yrs. I've been married to my devoted and hard working husband for 13 yrs. I'm expecting my 8th baby in mid Sept. and constantly humbled by how good our Lord has been to me and my family. I hope to find fellowship and connection to others on here; hopefully to gain and share tips and knowledge in our shared experience of raising and home-educating our children.

Lenten Blessings to you all,
Kelly
Back to Top View Gratiae ut Deus's Profile Search for other posts by Gratiae ut Deus Visit Gratiae ut Deus's Homepage

asplendidtime
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 27 2009 at 5:59pm | IP Logged Quote asplendidtime

Hello!

We are from Alberta, Canada. We are a Catholic homeschooling family of 10, but we just got news that we are expecting a new little one in October!   

We had a hard year with finding housing here, the economy has slowed some which made it a lot easier, we were finally blessed with our own lovely home.

Our children are all under the age of eleven, so we are just dealing with primary grades right now. I still feel like there is so much to learn, and am happily learning along with my dc.   

I am so blessed that 4Real is here, the ladies here are incredibly encouraging, full of wonderful ideas and fun, and I have felt priviledged to have your amazing prayers. We have felt their effects.

Mary 14,
Tim 13,
Jonah 12,
Josh 10,
Zoe 9,
Will 7,
Peter 6,
Laura-Mae 4,
Emily-Joy 2,
Genevieve & Gabriella 1
Back to Top View asplendidtime's Profile Search for other posts by asplendidtime Visit asplendidtime's Homepage

Gratiae ut Deus
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 27 2009 at 7:10pm | IP Logged Quote Gratiae ut Deus

LOL! How's that for "humility", I misspelled humility!

Back to Top View Gratiae ut Deus's Profile Search for other posts by Gratiae ut Deus Visit Gratiae ut Deus's Homepage

Lisa in NH
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 28 2009 at 8:35pm | IP Logged Quote Lisa in NH

Hello everyone,
My name is Lisa Sweet and I am from New Hampshire. I have been married to my wonderful husband, Scott, for almost 22 years (wow, time flies!) and we have 5 children here and 2 in heaven. Our oldest, a daughter (19), is a sophomore at Franciscan University of Steubenville, Ohio, and currently spending the semester in Austria!! At home we have 3 boys (16, 10, 7) and our youngest daughter (3). We have been homeschooling for 15 years. My curriculum has changed and evolved over the years. In the beginning, I stuck to a classical approach. Oldest daughter is doing very well at FUS, so I guess this approach worked just fine. The sons are a different story. About 3 years ago, I ran across Elizabeth Foss' book, "Real Learning" and it changed the way I homeschool (and even the way I mother in some cases) and it brought peace into our lives. This method of homeschooling has really worked for us and I am so happy to have found it. This forum and the blogs of some of the members and founders have really enriched my spiritual and family life. I am looking forward to learning from and participating in these forums.
God bless,
Lisa Sweet
Back to Top View Lisa in NH's Profile Search for other posts by Lisa in NH Visit Lisa in NH's Homepage

Mary's daughter
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 06 2009 at 4:41pm | IP Logged Quote Mary's daughter

Hello, my name is Stephanie and I have been married to my husband Matt for 14 years. We have 7 children. 4 boys(13, 11, 9, 3) and 3 girls (7, 5, 15 months). We have always homeschooled. I discovered the serendipity site this year and have been following the history trail and the alphabet path with my children. It has been a true blessing.
Back to Top View Mary's daughter's Profile Search for other posts by Mary's daughter

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 06 2009 at 5:21pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Thank you, all, for your introductions! Please do join in the conversation. I look forward to your contributions!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

MNMom
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: March 07 2009 at 2:20pm | IP Logged Quote MNMom

Hello ladies! I have been lurking on this forum for years and thought I'd finally post. I have 7 sons and 2 daughters ranging in age from 17 to 1. Except for one year of kindergarten for my oldest, we've been homeschooling through thick and thin. A few years back, I went through a major burn out and accidentally(?) discovered Real Learning at the local library. That led to finding this forum and a change in educational philosophy(among other things). I don't know if I'll actually ever post on here again(there's alot of competition for this computer!), but I wanted to take the opportunity to thank everyone here for all I've learned as a lurker.
God bless,
Kim from MN

Back to Top View MNMom's Profile Search for other posts by MNMom

NathalieH
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: March 10 2009 at 6:41am | IP Logged Quote NathalieH

Hello and thank you for your warm welcome!
I am a mother to 4 healthy and beautiful children- a daughter 12, a son 10, a son 10 and a daughter 5. I am very bad at anything technical and "posting" is a challenge for me. So I apologize ahead of time for any mistakes or mess ups I make in cyber-space. I have homeschooled since my oldest was in K- we were blessed with a brief stint at a montessori school and Atrium for 3 years however, about a year ago we moved to IL from CA. So we are back to our homeschooling ways. We dabble in all kinds of life learnings...montessori, charlotte mason, and this forum which has beautiful advice and tips for encouraging this weary traveler! :-0 I am entering those "tween" years with my oldest and am a little overwhelmed by the cyberspace world. You can find me on those posts because I have not the faintest idea on how to navigate this area and be a good parent. I am forever grateful for your advice and support. You are all heroes and saints! Keep up the good work. In HIs love, NathalieH
Back to Top View NathalieH's Profile Search for other posts by NathalieH

resuelta
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: March 13 2009 at 6:05pm | IP Logged Quote resuelta

Hello! My name is Tara and I live in Bristow, Va with my husband and four children (all under the age of 5). I am due in Aug with #5! I have visited these boards on and off through the years and love the advice I glean from all of you. My mom is also a part of this forum (esperanza). I'm still praying about schooling options for my children. My oldest and only ds will begin K this coming September. I was homeschooled, but not sure if I can handle homeschooling and all my little ones at the same time! Keep me in your prayers!
Back to Top View resuelta's Profile Search for other posts by resuelta

zookeeperof3
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: March 16 2009 at 6:24pm | IP Logged Quote zookeeperof3

Hi, I'm Kim. We live in NC. I'm a Catholic convert, my hubby is a cradle Catholic. We have two boys 10 yrs. & 2 yrs ( surprise baby). Our big kid went to public school for K-2nd grades. Halfway through 2nd grade he was being horribly bullied, he lost 8lbs, came home with black eyes etc so we pulled him out of school. We looked at our local Catholic school and had some issues with it. 1. It's 45 mins. away 2. They told they " follow the standard NC course of study with Catholic relgion added" 3. They wanted us to pay $6,000 for that! After using workbooks for the first year we looked around for something different. We now use a Charlotte Mason approach and have added notebooking and lapbooking to it. I just received Real Learning in the mail today! We plan to add what I learn from the book to our schooling. Thanks for letting me join and I look forward to getting to know you all!
Blessings,
Kim
Back to Top View zookeeperof3's Profile Search for other posts by zookeeperof3

Jody
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 17 2009 at 5:04pm | IP Logged Quote Jody

Hello everyone,
I'm Jody Erickson and I live near Steubenville Ohio. I am mom of 10 dc (5 boys and 5 girls) ranging in age from 1-20.

We use some montessori, some Charlotte Mason, some MODG and a bit of this and that.

I am the author of Montessori on a shoestring
http://www.jodyshandsonlearning.com/products/montessori_on_a _shoestring.html and I come up with the ideas for our family run business.

I love reading to myself and to my children, homeschooling (most days ), movie night with my family, going out to dinner with my dh, ice cream, cotton candy, bubblegum, and my Catholic faith.

I am inspired by all of these wonderful posts. There's such a wealth of great advice and ideas here. What a God-send!! I look forward to participating with all of you.

Blessings to all, Jody
Back to Top View Jody's Profile Search for other posts by Jody Visit Jody's Homepage

VeronicaB
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: March 19 2009 at 7:27pm | IP Logged Quote VeronicaB

Hi,

I joined a few years ago, but can't remember if I introduced myself. I'm Veronica from the Blue Mountains in Australia. I have four boys 7,5,4 and 1. I've been sold on homeschooling since I was at school myself. My parents weren't ready for it yet though, so I went through the local Catholic school system till Year 11 when I got into a selective high school and then onto Uni then married and children followed pretty soon. A bit of a whirlwind ride. I remember hearing about Charlotte Mason back when my eldest was three or so, but I seem to naturally seek out the path less travelled and take the long way round. This year I found Ambleside Online and finally 'got it'. Reading stories is one thing that all these boys love. Making up our own curriculum has always appealed to me. Reading about natural learning has been very reassuring. Montessori was good to read too.

This is longer than I planned!

Good to come back here now and then. I understand so well that every homeschooling mum/mom/mama is busy. Great to see there are so many coming together to help each other out.
Back to Top View VeronicaB's Profile Search for other posts by VeronicaB Visit VeronicaB's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 20 2009 at 2:28pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Welcome ladies!

I feel bad that I haven't gotten over here to officially say welcome to the boards, but you are all so very welcome here...jump right in...some of you already have!    This board is such a source of blessing and inspiration. Good to see you here!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 20 2009 at 5:47pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Welcome everyone! So exciting to have you! Looking forward to sharing this exciting journey with all of you!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

AppalachianMama
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: March 23 2009 at 8:50pm | IP Logged Quote AppalachianMama

Hello! My name is Heidi. :) I am married to Joe, and we have 3 beautiful boys, Joey(5), Paul(3), and Peter(1). We are joyfully Catholic. :) I have been searcing these forums for a while for wonderful book advice. :) My oldest son attends a parochial Catholic school(please don't kick me out, LOL! I DO school at home still, quite a bit, and I really need help from you knowledgable ladies! ;)). I have considered homeschooling, but I do not feel called to it right now. The thought just overwhelms me to no end tbh...I am stressing over just supplementing Joey's curric, and he is only 5, LOL! I really could use some advice! I am supplementing Joey's curric, and I am working with Paul now. :) I am working on history and religion with Joey, and I am starting phonics and religion with Paul. :) This is not easy for me! I got a terrible public school education, and I was poorly catechized. Teaching them involves teaching me first! The American History curric I am building is tedious because of my lack of knowledge! :( Anyhow, I really look forward to learning from you all! :)
Back to Top View AppalachianMama's Profile Search for other posts by AppalachianMama

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version