Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Modesty is.... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 01 2006 at 3:12pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

Jennifer...
No I haven't been to one... but THANKS for resurrecting this thread again...
I do have a link for those who can make their own clothes:
http://www.sensibility.com/mainpage.htm
Some rather pretty dresses here... but the reason I posted it was because people liked the 'Out of Africa' dress, and here you can find something similar!

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 01 2006 at 8:59pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

~Rachel~ wrote:
Some rather pretty dresses here... but the reason I posted it was because people liked the 'Out of Africa' dress, and here you can find something similar!

These are great patterns! I have made the 1914 Afternoon Dress and was pleased with the quality of the pattern and clarity of directions. It evens comes with directions to make it nursing accessible (which I did). Hmm...maybe there should be a sewing forum here.

God bless!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 01 2006 at 9:40pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

These are great patterns! I have made the 1914 Afternoon Dress and was pleased with the quality of the pattern and clarity of directions. It evens comes with directions to make it nursing accessible (which I did). Hmm...maybe there should be a sewing forum here.

Ooh...I would love that!...I haven't sewn in quite a few years and I am starting to take it up again. I am finding it necessary when you can't always find modest things for young ladies. (i.e my rapidly growing twin 12 yo dds) Not to mention its hard to find clothes that I like to nurse in as well as attend Church in...

Someone once told me that if we don't teach our children all of these lovely sewing crafts, (to pass on to the next generation) who will? Well...that got me to thinking...I told the kids that I wanted all of them to try it enough to know how to do it...and after that, who knows? Now, I would like to learn how to quilt...maybe I'll just homeschool myself on the subject ;) LOL

Beautiful dress Michele! I am really enjoying this site! Thanks so much for the link!

God Love you!
Donna Marie from NJ
hs momma to 7dc      
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 02 2006 at 5:39am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Yes! Teach your children.    I never learned to sew and I regret it very much.    My dd and I wear mostly dresses and skirts and it gets very difficult (and expensive!) to find some that are modest, but still look nice.    I guess I could take a sewing class somewhere, but it's hard to find the time. My mil is a wonderful seamstress. She makes my husbands shirts that he wears to work and they are awesome. I would love for her to teach my dd to sew some day. She lives 13 hours away though, so that's going to be tricky. By all means, teach your little ones to sew!
Becky
Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

Courtney
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 02 2006 at 7:04am | IP Logged Quote Courtney

I would love a sewing forum! I love to sew but go through spurts of sewing. I haven't sewn anything since this past fall. I'm thinking of getting some dress patterns for my dd(8yo). I had found a really cute dress pattern that looks like the girls LandsEnd knit dresses. I'm wondering if I'll be able to find a knit fabric as nice as what LandsEnd has.

My dd recieved a Klutz quilt book for Christmas. We started working on it last week. I'd love to get into quilting as well.

Back to Top View Courtney's Profile Search for other posts by Courtney

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 02 2006 at 1:13pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

deleting for privacy reasons
Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 02 2006 at 1:25pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Becky Parker wrote:
Yes! Teach your children.    I never learned to sew and I regret it very much.

My philosophy with sewing is like everything else. You have to do what works for your family.   Everyone's situation is different and I would never want anyone to feel like they must be able to sew to be a good wife or mother - I certainly don't think that's true. I truly enjoy sewing and make an effort to do it regularly but sometimes my schedule simply doesn't allow for it. Sometimes it's easier to buy what I need rather than make it. There's shouldn't be any guilt here. We do what we can and what best suits the needs of our families - which really should always come first.

I do think sewing is a valuable skill and one that we would do well to teach to our children (yes, even our boys). For our family my ability sew has been a blessing in many ways and allowed for things the budget simply didn't. It satisfies (temporarily at least) my insatiable urge to create and gives me an outlet that is productive and useful.

My mother didn't teach me to sew but she did have a sewing machine and let me use it when I showed interest. I learned the basics in home-ec class but really didn't start sewing until I was married and living in Europe as a military wife. My mom had given me that old sewing machine so I jumped in and started sewing. I tried to make an infant sleeper that first time and oh my did I cry. I remember reading the directions and thinking "huh?? what does this mean???". But I persevered and after a while got pretty good. I am not an expert seamstress (sewer is the pc term but I just don't like the sound of it!) but I am pretty confident in my skills and can certainly make wearable clothing now.

There's quite a few really good sewing sites online and I especially recommend the nursing mother's sewing list. I joined the group originally to make nursing clothes and while that is its main focus it's really so much more. The wealth of knowledge there is unmatched as is the level of friendliness and support. It's a mixed group of varying beliefs but the common thread of home and family binds all and creates a atmosphere of true charity. And you don't have to be a nursing mother to join or even sewing nursing clothing, but if you support the idea and want to improve your sewing skills (no matter what level you are) it's definitely the place to start.

God bless!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 02 2006 at 1:38pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

I would love a sewing forum... I am another sporadic seamstress, but I still like to read about it!
And I saw the lovely skirts in Walmart yesterday too... they had a bunch, I think it is a hangover from the recent interest in the 'Bohemian' style that was going around

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 02 2006 at 2:49pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

deleting for privacy reasons

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 02 2006 at 3:06pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

Rebecca wrote:
Rebecca wrote:
   My husband does not mind pants as long as they are modest but I really prefer skirts.    

After I read this it sounded funny! It should read "My husband does not mind that I wear pants as long as they are modest but I really prefer to wear skirts."

you mean your Dh doesn't wear them??

Lighting a Fire

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 02 2006 at 10:51pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

~Rachel~ wrote:
And I saw the lovely skirts in Walmart yesterday too... they had a bunch, I think it is a hangover from the recent interest in the 'Bohemian' style that was going around

I saw those too and they were really cute but I just won't buy something for $25 that I could make for under $5 (since I already have everything I'd need on hand).

New clothes for my girls is my Lenten "service project' and I am definitely making them some of those cute skirts! I found the pattern in my stash today.

Blessings!

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 02 2006 at 11:38pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

MicheleQ wrote:
[I saw those too and they were really cute but I just won't buy something for $25 that I could make for under $5 (since I already have everything I'd need on hand).

I sure do admire those of you who can sew! I sew buttons, hem pants and the like but can't do anything like make my own skirts! I ended up buying them. They were only $14 at our local store!

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 03 2006 at 8:22am | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

MicheleQ wrote:

I saw those too and they were really cute but I just won't buy something for $25 that I could make for under $5 (since I already have everything I'd need on hand).

New clothes for my girls is my Lenten "service project' and I am definitely making them some of those cute skirts! I found the pattern in my stash today.

Blessings!

I can certainly understand that... and ITA too
I am going to make my DD some dresses... but she is at that cute age where she gets the really pretty frilly things. She kind of needs them because she still doesn't have much hair and people think she's a boy!

Lighting a Fire

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 04 2006 at 2:44pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

~Rachel~ wrote:
Jennifer...
No I haven't been to one... but THANKS for resurrecting this thread again...

Rachel, what a great site! And as I was going through the pages I found pictures of a young girl that clearly looked like my cousin's oldest daughter...after asking, I found out it certainly is!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 05 2006 at 8:02pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

Oh Jenn... that's great!
There is a little girl on there that is the spitting image of my DD... which is nice because it shows her as she gets a little older... and I realise now how her hair will eventually come in!!

Lighting a Fire

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 06 2006 at 6:08am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

~Rachel~ wrote:
There is a little girl on there that is the spitting image of my DD... which is nice because it shows her as she gets a little older... and I realise now how her hair will eventually come in!!

Dear Rachel,

Don't worry -- my 14 yod was sparsely haired till she was 2 or so; she has the thickest hair of anyone in our house now. So take heart! At least your daughter doesn't mind wearing dresses. Catie, at 2 and in a lovely dress for Christmas told me "I don't want to be a princess, I want to stay home with Grandpa!"

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 06 2006 at 9:53am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Rebecca wrote:
MicheleQ wrote:
[I saw those too and they were really cute but I just won't buy something for $25 that I could make for under $5 (since I already have everything I'd need on hand).

I sure do admire those of you who can sew! I sew buttons, hem pants and the like but can't do anything like make my own skirts! I ended up buying them. They were only $14 at our local store!

These are super easy to make! I realized you don't even need a pattern. If you can sew strips of fabric together you can make these. If anyone is interested I'll post directions. I'm planning on making several of these for my dd's this spring. . .and maybe even a few for myself.

God bless!

MEBarrett
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 06 2006 at 11:14am | IP Logged Quote MEBarrett

[QUOTE=MicheleQ]
If anyone is interested I'll post directions. QUOTE]

I'm interested!!!

Tales from the Bonny Blue House
O Night Divine
Back to Top View MEBarrett's Profile Search for other posts by MEBarrett Visit MEBarrett's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 06 2006 at 2:01pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

These are directions for a child who has about a 24 in. waist and is 50 in. tall (my dd).
You'll have to make adjustments depending on the size you need.

For a knee length skirt cut 2 strips of fabric 5 & 1/2 in. long by 18 inches wide, 2 strips 6 & 1/2 in. long by 26 in. wide and 2 strips 7 & 1/2 in. long by 37 in. wide.

For a calf length skirt cut 2 strips of fabric 5 in. long by 15 in. wide, 2 strips 5 & 1/2 in. long by 18 inches wide, 2 strips 6 1/2 in. long by 26 in. wide and 2 strips 7 & 1/2 in. long by 37 in. wide.

Sew the 2 pieces of each tier (right sides facing together) at the short sides. Divide each tier into 4ths and mark with a pin or dressmaker pen (this will help you to gather them evenly). Do nothing with the top tier but with the bottom 3 (or 2 depending on which length you are making) sew two parallel lines of basting about a half-inch from one long edge of each tier. Gather each tier by pulling the basting thread and spreading the gathers evenly between your quarter marks while matching it up to the UNgathered edge of the next smallest tier (including the top one you didn't gather. Pin and then sew together. Finish the inside seams in your preferred method and press.

You should now have a tiered shirt without a finished waist or hem. At the waist make a casing and insert either elastic or a drawstring. At the bottom fold over a double 1/4 in. hem, press, and sew either by machine or hand as you prefer. Voila! you're done.

If I get a chance to make one of these soon I'll take digital pictures as I do it. For now if you have any questions just ask.

God bless!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 5
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version