Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Modesty is.... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 28 2005 at 2:33pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Kathryn UK wrote:
Irene, I totally agree about the spaghetti straps. My other strict rule is that tummies have to be covered. No belly tops!

LOL! I was thinking about this topic after sending my reply and realized that I actually have three (not two, as I had written) strict rules--the other one being no tummies showing. I think there are only two sorts of tummies worth seeing. And both of these are only worth seeing for the immediate family. These would be the adorable tummy of a baby or toddler or the beautiful tummy of a pregnant mommy.

Elizabeth wrote:
For my daughter, longer shorts are allowed, but no tank tops, no spaghetti straps, no tummy showing (even in bathing suits), no skirts above the knee. I figure that if that standard is set now, it will just be a matter of "the way we do things" later. I can't see having one set of rules for little girls and another for teenagers.

EXACTLY! I have extended family members who thought I was going overboard in not letting my preschool age girls wear two-piece bathing suits or tank tops. But I completely agree with Elizabeth in that it is just too hard to suddenly say, "OK no more of that style, you are too old." It's simply better to set the standard from the start.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 28 2005 at 2:46pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

teachingmom wrote:
But I completely agree with Elizabeth in that it is just too hard to suddenly say, "OK no more of that style, you are too old." It's simply better to set the standard from the start.

That's how my mom did our clothing policy from the start(she has 5 girls and 2 boys). I'm seeing how hard it is for my sister to change the style as her oldest of her 4 daughters is now 7. Especially since the younger ones don't have the same policy.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Feb 28 2005 at 2:53pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

OK, I am a confirmed jeans wearer, and I really don't see myself becoming a completely skirts and dresses person ever. But, if I were to try to wear skirts more often than I do now (which is basically Sunday mornings only) I would need some help from you all. Could some of you post links of pictures from online clothing companies for the sort of skirts that you find comfortable, modest, and feminine? I've lost weight in the past year and only three of my skirts fit well. One is a jean skirt that is probably too straight to do my normal activities, and two are too dressy to wear for everyday use. I really can't imagine the sorts of styles you are all talking about, so I need a few visuals. Thanks.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 28 2005 at 3:29pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

teachingmom wrote:
Could some of you post links of pictures from online clothing companies for the sort of skirts that you find comfortable, modest, and feminine? I've lost weight in the past year and only three of my skirts fit well.

Sure, Irene. I'm with you, though. I don't wear skirts all the time, especially with a baby. My skirts ride up way too much when "wrestling" with him. So at home and errands I'm generally a slacks person, but I love the straight skirts, like you're talking about, just in khaki! I don't find them restrictive, as long as I have slits, but there's another area of modesty to touch on! I also love the straight skirt look in a wrap skirt. So here's what I would wear for everyday:

LL Bean has a Riding Skirt , which is an a-line. This is an extremely comfortable type of skirt. They also have it in denim

Hanna Andersson has a Right Shape Long Skirt which is a straight skirt, but EXTREMELY comfortable and movable.

Eddie Bauer has a few skirts all of which I would find comfortable and appropriate.

Land's End has several skirts, this one is an A-line easy care. This photo from waist down almost looks like the Out of Africa fashion time.

Irish Cachet pattern skirt

Pattern Panel Polka Dots Skirt but I'd would do navy, I'm so anti-pink for myself!

Irish Linen a-line skirt. 26 inch length to me is modest, especially when the skirt isn't clingy.

But I know what I post may be different from other people's opinion!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MEBarrett
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2005 at 7:58pm | IP Logged Quote MEBarrett

I totally agree with all of Jenn's suggestions. I am probably now going to buy the polka dot skirt (in pink, I'm a pink kind of a girl). But in addition I have a suggestion.

Last spring I ran a fashion show as a fundraiser for our local parish school. I used Dress Barn and Coldwater Creek. There were 13 models of all shapes and sizes and they all looked very pretty. Each lady wore a casual outfit and a dressy one from each store. Dress Barn does not have an online store but Coldwater Creek does. Dress Barn is more modestly priced but Coldwater has a lot of classic clothes that will not go out of style quickly. Their spring skirts this year are quitepretty

Hope this helps.

Tales from the Bonny Blue House
O Night Divine
Back to Top View MEBarrett's Profile Search for other posts by MEBarrett Visit MEBarrett's Homepage

Cindy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 28 2005 at 9:07pm | IP Logged Quote Cindy

All of the links are very helpful- thank you to all for sending them.

I wanted to comment.. I have a friend here who is a dear, sweet woman and she decided to wear just dresses last year. She did it with such gentleness and no implication at all that others should follow suit, but it was a personal decision of her own.   And her daughters are also modest, but fun kids and I am so glad my boys are around them. I thank God for the female models (role models, that is!) they have!

Wondering... about the question of activity level? Like Janette, I spent my years with little ones on the floor. I ended up wearing out the knees in my jeans. I like sturdy jeans for that. And with our tennis playing and other active things.... do you all feel that the skirts could handle that? At least the at home activity?

I appreciate this honest conversation and that it is not a 'should be' kind of thing. We each are led.
Thanks...

It Is About The Journey
Back to Top View Cindy's Profile Search for other posts by Cindy

LMuse
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 28 2005 at 11:02pm | IP Logged Quote LMuse

teachingmom wrote:
Could some of you post links of pictures from online clothing companies for the sort of skirts that you find comfortable, modest, and feminine?

check out hannah lise ! All skirts are an inexpensive $25 and come in many colors and sizes. I LOVE my hannahlise skirts~~~~   Lara

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 01 2005 at 4:47am | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

Cindy wrote:
Wondering... about the question of activity level? Like Janette, I spent my years with little ones on the floor. I ended up wearing out the knees in my jeans. I like sturdy jeans for that. And with our tennis playing and other active things.... do you all feel that the skirts could handle that? At least the at home activity?

I appreciate this honest conversation and that it is not a 'should be' kind of thing. We each are led.
Thanks...

I can't think of any at home activity that wouldn't work in skirts. Personally I wouldn't wear skirts for playing tennis, though I suspect it would be less hampering than you (I?) might think. The skirts I'm wearing are similar to the one in the riding skirt link. My experience is that the longer a skirt, the easier it is to do more in it ... obviously so long as it isn't long enough to trip over!

This is very much a subjective issue. There is no 11th commandment that says "Thou shalt not wear jeans" . I think it is important that we think through these issues of modesty and femininity, but also that we recognise that people will come honestly to different conclusions.

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 01 2005 at 6:10am | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

I've been wearing skirts everyday for about the past year and thought I could share with all of you some of the practical aspects. The turning point for me was when I realized that if I wanted to my daughters to wear skirts, then I would have to wear them to.

I'd also like to recommend the book "The Privelege of Being a Woman" by Alice Von Hildebrand. In our current culture, it is a challenge to be truly feminine. This book and wearing skirts has been a big help to me.

On a practical level, the big challenge for me is trying to stay warm in the winter while wearing skirts. I wear leggings (from Target) under my skirts. On my feet, I wear plain old socks & short boots (fleece-lined from Lands End). I prefer my skirts to be on the full-side so I can move better. It's pretty interesting vacuuming your car wearing a skirt! My everyday skirts are bias denim from http://www.blair.com. For going out, I wear knit A-line skirts from Lands End. My friend wears the knit skirts from Hanes, however they do "pill" which she doesn't mind since she wears them in the house.

For my eldest daughter, it's been pretty easy to buy her knit dresses from Lands End (which she wears with leggings) since she's still a size 7. Things will get more challenging as she grows. I do know of a wonderful Catholic woman, who is devoted to Our Lady, and who makes modest clothing for moms and children. Her website is http://www.touchofelegance.com. Hopefully some of us can give her some business!

I also want to mention that as I grow in faith, God helps me to simplify things so that I can focus more on Him. To simplify in this area of dress has been such a gift for my family! I have been always burdened by what to wear, never mind how to dress my daughters! It is so wonderful to be ready to go to Mass or wherever with the family, without spending so much time fussing!

I've so enjoyed reading all of your comments on this topic. Blessings to all of you!

Brenda Peter
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: March 01 2005 at 9:06am | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

LMuse wrote:
check out www.hannahlise.com! All skirts are an inexpensive $25 and come in many colors and sizes. I LOVE my hannahlise skirts~~~~   Lara

Thank you to all of you who sent links of pictures of good skirts. They were all very helpful. I especially want to thank Lara for the Hannah Lise link. They really are similar skirts to the other sites--and at such great prices. I also love that they have nice long skirts for children. What a great find.

Kim F
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 01 2005 at 9:19am | IP Logged Quote Kim F

I found these links to modesty articles fwiw, Kim

Catholic planet women

The Modern Religion

http://www.starwire.com/partner/Article_Display_Page/0,,PTID 5339|CHID27|CIID120135,00.html

CMRI

Catholic Culture

Catholic Online

Veil of Innocence

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: March 01 2005 at 2:10pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

I've looked at the websites mentioned and have one question: For those who shop online for clothing, how can you be sure that it's going to fit right? I have always shyed away from buying clothing online or through catalog because sizes run so differently from brand to brand, and I hate to pay return shipping for things just because I ordered the wrong size. How do you all handle this?

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 01 2005 at 8:59pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Hi Everyone!
I am just checking out this thread and find it very interesting. I am not quite sure if I am ready to throw out my jeans, but it is something to think about.

I do have a nice link for dresses and skirts for women and girls: http://www.littletouchofelegance.com/index.html

Their prices are reasonable and styles are pretty. I have never ordered anything so I can't comment on the quality.

Also, I would second the recommendation for Eddie Bauer. Their prices can be steep, but they have great sales. Their skirts are both stylish (in a classic sort of way) and comfortable.

I get caught up with the footwear as well. I see women who dress in dresses only to wear shoes that don't match or knee high socks that you see when they cross their legs. Not to nitpick, but I think it detracts from how they look and what they are trying to accomplish.

I am shoe illiterate, I think I have maybe five pair including my sandals and snow boots! So I would have trouble, especially in the winter, matching shoes to dresses. Jeans and tennis shoes or loafers is about my speed.

Well, I am rambling on now, so I will sign off here!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 01 2005 at 9:28pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

teachingmom wrote:
We buy the swim team style suits at Costco each year.

This year Costco also has for adult women, tankini suits that have a very modest top, cover the belly well, and have a skirt bottom. My mature 12yo purchased two to get through the AZ heat this summer. She loves them! She commented, "If I was any more covered up, I'd look like the daughters in the original movie version of Cheaper by the Dozen!"

God bless,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 01 2005 at 9:30pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

cathhomeschool wrote:
I've looked at the websites mentioned and have one question: For those who shop online for clothing, how can you be sure that it's going to fit right? I have always shyed away from buying clothing online or through catalog because sizes run so differently from brand to brand, and I hate to pay return shipping for things just because I ordered the wrong size. How do you all handle this?

I feel the same way about returning things. The way I usually get around it is going to the actual store (Eddie Bauer, Sears, Talbots) a few times and get a feel of what looks right, which size fits me. I know by now that Talbots is about a size 6 for me...but straight skirts might have to go a size larger.

Lands End is sold at Sears now, and they have a great policy that you can buy online and return at the actual Sears store...so no return shipping costs!

But then, the other way is measure, measure, measure. All the catalogs post a measurement chart somewhere. If your waist is 24 inches (Don't I wish?!! ) and hips 34, then find the size it will fit that range. If your waist and hips aren't that proportional (like 10 inch difference) then go with the hip measurement, unless the skirt is loose in the hips, then you can be closer to the waist size. Confused yet?

I think at first it's trial and error...some styles or brands have more give. If I can't try on the clothes, then I will buy a skirt in several sizes and then return what I don't need (of course, that does depend if I have enough cash laying around!)

And there are some generous return policies in the major companies. It changes, so check first. LLBean I think is really good.

HTH!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 01 2005 at 9:32pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Lands End has some terrific mix and match suits that are more like shorts and tank tops. Great for nursing moms, too! I bought for my larger post partem size, but now I need to get something a bit smaller. I myself dislike swimsuits without a skirt or something...

Kim F
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 01 2005 at 10:29pm | IP Logged Quote Kim F

I would have trouble, especially in the winter, matching shoes to dresses. Jeans and tennis shoes or loafers is about my speed.
>>

This is it exactly. I still am curious what kind of tights you all wear with denim or khaki? I tend to buy lots of navy and black bottoms so I can match just two pairs of shoes and just about any other color accessory. Its thrify but hough sometimes I think I look like Johnny Cash. ; ) Hence the denim and khaki that dont match legwear question....
Kim
Back to Top View Kim F's Profile Search for other posts by Kim F

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: March 02 2005 at 8:34am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

jenngm67 wrote:
The way I usually get around it is going to the actual store (Eddie Bauer, Sears, Talbots)

Lands End is sold at Sears now, and they have a great policy that you can buy online and return at the actual Sears store...so no return shipping costs!

But then, the other way is measure, measure, measure.

Jenn,
Thanks for the advice! We live in a smaller town, but we do have a Talbots and a Sears. I had no idea that Sears carries Lands End! I do like your suggestion of trying on things in person and then buying from the catalog later. We go to Houston periodically, so I can go to Eddie Bauer, etc there. I'd like to avoid measuring if possible!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 02 2005 at 9:35am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Kim F wrote:
I would have trouble, especially in the winter, matching shoes to dresses. Jeans and tennis shoes or loafers is about my speed.
>>

This is it exactly. I still am curious what kind of tights you all wear with denim or khaki? I tend to buy lots of navy and black bottoms so I can match just two pairs of shoes and just about any other color accessory. Its thrify but hough sometimes I think I look like Johnny Cash. ; ) Hence the denim and khaki that dont match legwear question....
Kim

I'll throw out a few ideas on tights, shoes and skirts I have...just my mere fashion opinions!

Oh, you don't need to match tights color to color. The longer the skirt, the less impact the tights make. You want to avoid the monotone that was prevalent in the 80s--white skirt, white tights, white shoes, for example. The rule with denim, anything matches it. So white or navy or black tights would go nicely with your denim skirts, with clogs or whatever type of shoe or color of shoe you have. Khaki is also as forgiving. I've enjoyed receiving the catalogs to Hanna Andersson to get ideas on how to wear tights with skirts. Swedish look -- tights with clogs, very attractive and feminine. Now they are into spring, so you don't see many ideas this season, but wintertime the pictures give me some great ideas. You need to think a little Euro (not Euro-trash look, but classic, practical Euro style).

I usually go barelegged with loafers, clogs or some Euro style Mary Janes, I have to admit, even in winter. I put on sandals with my skirts in spring and summer. Maybe I'm being immodest... To bar the cold, I sometimes wear silk long johns, that are just to the knees. Then just having my calves exposed to the cold is fine for most days. If it's too cold, I wear slacks, though. But I live in VA, which doesn't have cold and snow like some other areas. It's only a mere nuisance a few weeks of the year.

With flowing skirts or straight skirts, long, almost to the ankle, you can do the prairie style look, which I love. Eddie Bauer illustrates that look...thick socks or tights with above the ankle lace-up boots. Attractive, a bit sporty, but still feminine.

Also tall boots work well with longer skirts of all kinds. I'm not talking snow boots or the UGG (sp?) boots, but the classic leather almost to the knee boot. LLBean has some nice Town and Field Tall Boots.

I've seen quite a few moms in my parish wear the cuffed socks with Keds with skirts and they look really cute. I can't get away with that look, I'm more of a classic, conservative, not sporty, natural. But for them, it looks feminine and practical.

Now, I know FlyLady says to wear lace-up shoes at all times. I refuse. Wearing shoes in the house wears down the carpet, and I'm uncomfortable. We leave shoes by the door, and I can slip some on for an emergency. So I guess some of my suggestions wouldn't apply for those living by FlyLady...but they work for us.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 02 2005 at 9:39am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

You know, I have to laugh at all my fashion contributions. You would think I'm a clothes horse and a shopaholic! Truth is, I'm good at giving advice, but I'm in need of following it! I don't have any skirts right now that fit me...I'm happy to have lost all the weight, but I haven't been this size in 2-3 years and don't have anything in my closet anymore! I'm dreading the whole shopping experience, and want to make all the money go far! I'm going to have to measure or go to the store and I just hate shopping!

And I've been eyeing those tall boots for years and STILL haven't bought them. I know what I like, but I end up talking myself out it!

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version