Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Election Prayers ... what happened? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Tina
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 05 2008 at 11:36am | IP Logged Quote Tina

Jenn~ Thanks for your words. They have given me some focus.

I just couldn't get my mind off of this, and get that sick, sad feeling out of my stomach. I was ok last night, but just couldn't help breaking down this morning.

But now, with reading all of your posts, I'm feeling much better and know where my attention needs to turn. The personal good I got out of this was a renewed dedication to fighting for the unborn...in prayer as always, but more in action, than I have in the past. And I see that it's more important than ever to raise my children to be children of faith, prayer and action.

My dd12 was reluctant to go to the peaceful prayer protest that was held along the road near where Obama was speaking Monday night. We were sooooo outnumbered. She was a little afraid of how we would be treated and viewed by the literally 90,000 who came to see him. But after we got there, she totally turned around and held her sign proudly. She, along with the other children there, made us so proud as they stood up for the unborn to some really unkind people. So, that was another good that I personally think came out of this. We have taught our children a lot just by our example throughout this election. I think we need to continue to do that now (as tough as it is), despite the outcome.

Thank you all for your inspirational words.

Back to Top View Tina's Profile Search for other posts by Tina Visit Tina's Homepage

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 05 2008 at 11:56am | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

I'm clinging to these quotes during my own feelings of despair today:

From Sister Wendy Beckett:

"The essential nature of our plea is not that God will change the real world, but that he will strengthen us to bear the impact of it."
and
"Never think that hope is optimism. It has nothing to do with the temperamental desire to believe that things will get better. Hope accepts the worst and can further accept that there is worse upon worst. But it can endure it all because of the promises of God."

From Thomas a Kempis:

"It is good for us to have trials and trouble at times, for they often remind us that we are on probation and ought not hope in any worldly thing. It is good for us sometimes to suffer contradiction, to be misjudged by men, even though we do well and mean well. These things help us to be humblea nd shiled us from vainglory. When to all outwward appearances men give us no credit, when they do not think well of us, then we are more inlcined to seek God, who sees our hearts. Therefore, a man ought to root himeself so firmly in God that he will not need the consolations of men."
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 05 2008 at 12:25pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

RamFam wrote:
My husband brought something to mind. In America we cannot simply outlaw abortion. Americans must KNOW abortion is murder.

Yes, I believe we must change hearts, too.

Angie Mc wrote:
   Often when we're in the middle, we simply can't see the end. We must walk in faith.

We congratulate Sen. Obama on his victory. We now pray mightily for President Obama as he takes rightful authority given to him by us, the people of the United States. We pray for his safety and that he will be a conduit of God's grace. We also pray with enormous gratitude for Sen. McCain and his fighting of the good fight and pray that he will be blessed. For us it comes down to the questions, "How do we handle victory? How do we handle defeat?" We pray that both lead us closer to God and His will for us. We hold our heads high, with confidence and joy in God and a humble admittance that there is always more work to do, more prayers to say, more love to share, and more suffering to be offered up for a prolife outcome.

Angie, this was beautiful.

Barb.b wrote:
I also wonder as Susan- does anyone know Obama's homeschooling stance? My DH seems to have heard that it is negative.

I know the official Dem Party Platform is not pro-homeschooling, but on page 344 of The Audacity of Hope, Obama writes: “none of these policies need discourage families from deciding to keep a parent at home…For some families, that may mean doing without certain material comforts. For others it may mean home schooling….Whatever the case may be, such decisions should be honored.”
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

glinNC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 05 2008 at 12:36pm | IP Logged Quote glinNC

I appreciate all the sharing done on this thread. It has helped confirm that what I was telling my children is the best I can do to help them understand, in addition to reminding them to pray incessantly for our newly elected President and the decisions he makes.

I feel that some of the country didn't vote with reason ... that the Democrats are "in the right place, at the wrong time." The next four years will prove a lot. And, as stated in a post above, Obama is not a dictator, so we still will have our say!   

But, in the meantime, we can be "renewed" in our spirituality from this election ... become more fervent in prayer ... and be a brighter light in the world, knowing that *GOD* is in control!

God bless America!
glinNC

Back to Top View glinNC's Profile Search for other posts by glinNC

Barb.b
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 05 2008 at 12:40pm | IP Logged Quote Barb.b

I was doing fine today, until I remembered that Biden is one of those Catholic Dems who are pro choice. I will pray for him - but if he continues I wonder - why not excommunicate these pro choise politicians. It is very disturbing really.
Barb
Back to Top View Barb.b's Profile Search for other posts by Barb.b

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 05 2008 at 12:54pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

cheesehead mom wrote:
Our son's godfather is a university history prof and penned this letter to the college republicans...

Interesting letter. Thanks!

MarilynW wrote:

Angie... May I quote you?

Thank you, Marilyn. Sure.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Essy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 05 2008 at 3:11pm | IP Logged Quote Essy

I appreciate this thread very much. My heart has been very heavy all day too(and I did have a good cry this morning).

Yesterday the Lord put this passage in my heart...

Deuteronomy 30:19

"I call on heaven and earth as witnesses today that I have offered you life or death, blessings or curses. Choose life so that you and your descendants will live."

Unfortunately we have failed miserably as a nation and are choosing a culture of death in a major way...God can't be happy.

Back to Top View Essy's Profile Search for other posts by Essy Visit Essy's Homepage

RamFam
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 05 2008 at 3:34pm | IP Logged Quote RamFam

"Mark my words," Mr Biden said. "It will not be six months before the world tests Barack Obama like they did John Kennedy. The world is looking. We're about to elect a brilliant 47-year-old senator president of the United States of America. Remember I said it standing here if you don't remember anything else I said. Watch, we're gonna have an international crisis, a generated crisis, to test the mettle of this guy. I can give you at least four or five scenarios from where it might originate."

This is what I worry about most. For those of you living near our nation's capitol what are your thoughts? My husband wants to move.

ETA: link

Back to Top View RamFam's Profile Search for other posts by RamFam Visit RamFam's Homepage

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 05 2008 at 3:35pm | IP Logged Quote PDyer

I went to visit Jesus in the tabernacle today in thanksgiving for my second successful kidney stone procedure, and very strongly felt I was getting marching orders to pray St. Pio's Efficacious Novena to the Sacred Heart of Jesus.

So that's what I'm going to do. Pray, hope and don't worry, right?

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 05 2008 at 4:14pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Leah, I live near DC. I worry a little but I can't let that kind of fear paralyze me - I really don't go into the District much and we're usually at home or dance class. Not typical target spots.

Honestly, the Brooklyn Bridge or Statue of Liberty is just as likely a target.

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 05 2008 at 4:17pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

A friend told me about what Fr. said at Mass this morning, the 6:30am Mass. To preface it, she said that for several days he had been really storming away about voting and when he walked up the aisle this morning wearing red (not the ordinary green), she knew they'd get an earful. But...turned out it wasn't the earful she thought. He said his first words were "Rejoice! St. Paul tells us to rejoice in all things!"

The short of it is this...we have come to the crossroads and now we face persecution. According to Fr., this is something Fr. Groeschel has prayed for and is said to be 'delighted' today that we have been given this persecution so that we may grow in holiness.

She said think about this...there has been prayer over this, this election, over the end of abortion, this unity of prayer is like none other before. How many times (this is all from my friend, I'm paraphrasing) would you hear, "McCain isn't the best, but..." we were united to Truth, not just to a candidate. Who is else could unite these forces better, but Obama! Our "candidate" didn't win, but our purpose has grown.

And I'm going to quote her exactly on the following (she'll kill me for putting this all out here, she is more humble than humble pie, but this is just too good to keep to myself, and she isn't on this board anyways):

"So the great crossroads has been passed. Now we really begin our work for our Church, our country, our families, our friends, ourselves. The cross that Christ promised us we would have to bear is not so heavy because it is fitted especially for each of us to share with our Lord. He has already carried it, He just wants us to step up and feel its burden so we can bow in awe in the face of His sacrifice.

How blest we are to have each other, not just now, but all the time."

So this is what I told my children today. That our work only has just begun. We can't despair, we must rejoice in our work ahead and bear our cross with Jesus before us.

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

Tina
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 05 2008 at 4:19pm | IP Logged Quote Tina

Leah~ I live in the N. Va area, too. Reading that article made me a bit concerned, but not enough to move. Because it sounds like just about anywhere in the US or our allies could be a target. I wouldn't know where to move to .

So I guess we just need to pay attention and pray.

Back to Top View Tina's Profile Search for other posts by Tina Visit Tina's Homepage

insegnante
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 05 2008 at 4:53pm | IP Logged Quote insegnante

It's scaring me that so many non-crazy people are saying/thinking/feeling the kind of dramatic things I am about this result.

Abortion is definitely "the" issue here. But I also thought about how glad I was that state laws protect HSing and can't just be overturned without due process, etc.

I see HSers as a group of people w/very strong convictions they are willing to defend (and am thankful for those braver than I who brought HSing where it is now,) but I am concerned that many/most of us might be willing to accept a little tightening of regulation here, a little there, in order not to be "stubborn" or "fanatical," in order to choose battles -- until freedom is substantially impaired or taken away.

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 05 2008 at 5:45pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

OK, here's what my godson (and FAVORITE nephew) wrote on Facebook:
Quote:

I am simultaneously frightened and (somewhat selfishly) elated at the prospects of persecution and martyrdom

'nuff said!

ETA: can you tell he goes to one of the more orthodox Catholic colleges in the US?

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 05 2008 at 7:19pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

cheesehead mom wrote:
Our son's godfather is a university history prof and penned this letter to the college republicans. It would be a great lesson for your students in history today and offer some great family discussion regardless of your party affiliation. It is solely written from a historical perspective (though he is a strong Catholic).

Thank you so much for printing that letter in its entirety. Very insightful. I have read in several places that the current financial crisis is largely due to abortion & a lost generation. It's not going to go away. Let's see how people will feel about Obama 4 years from now when things are worse. Sadly, Americans are a very fickle lot. They love "change" & unrealistically believe it will always be for the better. My 14 year old ds has reminded me that Herbert Hoover was perhaps the most popular president when voted into office but after the Great Depression he lost in all 50 states.

This whole election, as well as the result have been a real "kick in the pants" for many of us. To say we have our work cut out for us is an absolute understatement. Our country is our mission field and evangelize, we must. The thought of so many souls in peril is truly horrifying. It's time to get serious about becoming saints.

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 05 2008 at 7:25pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Oops! I'm so sorry if I said anything that violates the political discussion policy. Feel free to delete me if need be.

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

RamFam
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 05 2008 at 8:28pm | IP Logged Quote RamFam

My husband's advice.

Back to Top View RamFam's Profile Search for other posts by RamFam Visit RamFam's Homepage

Rumpleteazer
Forum Pro
Forum Pro
"Cormac"

Posted: Nov 05 2008 at 9:17pm | IP Logged Quote Rumpleteazer

RamFam wrote:
My husband's advice.

Great advice. We went out for a cheery walk today, read good books, and just spent a quiet, family-like day at home.

For what it's worth, here are the thoughts and feelings of a first-time voter who, alas, didn't get to see her candidate win.

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 06 2008 at 7:33am | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Just wanted to say a quick thank you to Mary G for posting the letter and to Patty for posting the novena. Both are printed off for our perusal - and the prayer, I printed off several color copies and laminated them. Gotta get to my daily duty.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

momtomany
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 06 2008 at 7:43am | IP Logged Quote momtomany

I appreciate this thread so much. It has given me much consolation and hope.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version