Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Introduce Yourself (2007) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 16 2007 at 3:29pm | IP Logged  

Hi Lynn! My husband is named, as well, after the great sailor, St. Brendan!

Many of my friends are TAC alums...there is a big community here in Sacto---I'm sure you know (or know of) some of them!

God bless!

and 2 yet-to-be-met
Back to Top View Nina Murphy's Profile Search for other posts by Nina Murphy

nicole-amdg
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 16 2007 at 7:19pm | IP Logged  

Hello, everyone! I'm Nicole, and I have six kids, ages 9, almost 8, almost 5, 3 1/2, practically 2, and 5 mos. (Saying 9, 7, 4, 3, 1, and 5 mos didn't seem to portray accurately the state of flux in which I live!) My oldest two are homeschooled in a hopeless hodgepodge of classical/Charlotte Mason/unit study/unschooling, and I'm teaching my third child to read--slowly. I really like Melissa Wiley's description of tidal homeschooling. I think that's what we do, although perhaps less deliberately. (I believe in keeping our eyes on our own work--but I need to be reminded frequently!

I have been turning to this forum for ideas and encouragement, as I have been in need of both lately. It seemed that reading five minutes wasn't enough, usually ten minutes had me feeling better or excited about making plans, and something like fifteen or more minutes had me wanting to weep. (Keep your eyes on your own work, Nicole!) Actually, I figured out that at least part of it was wanting to exchange ideas. My reading was a one-way street that still left me feeling isolated.

Ironically, I'm also feeling the need for more self-discipline, which is going to mean a lot less Internet. My hope is that participating more actively sometimes in the forum will mean less searching!
Back to Top View nicole-amdg's Profile Search for other posts by nicole-amdg

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 16 2007 at 8:27pm | IP Logged  

nicole-amdg wrote:
(I believe in keeping our eyes on our own work--but I need to be reminded frequently!

You are a wise woman, Nicole.
I'm so glad you decided to join us.

nicole-amdg wrote:
Ironically, I'm also feeling the need for more self-discipline, which is going to mean a lot less Internet.

Me too. Me too.

But at least we know we have a place to come and feel welcomed.

Welcome! Welcome!

And to ALL the new members.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Lynn B in KY
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 17 2007 at 10:29am | IP Logged  

Thank you, Nina! What an awesome Irish name your hubby has. Do you have the kid's book about St. Brendan? We love it.
The only TAC alum I get to hang out with is my sis who lives 4 blocks away I sure do miss CA though, some of the best days of my life were there!
Back to Top View Lynn B in KY's Profile Search for other posts by Lynn B in KY

fsuadamson
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 17 2007 at 9:06pm | IP Logged  

teressalsaplace wrote:
Hi my name is Teressa. My husband and I have three daughters ages 12, 10 and 5. We are using Tapestry of Grace along with Charlotte Mason principles.

Welcome aboard Teressa! You'll love this forum and the wealth of knowledge and wisdom here is amazing. Take it a little at a time so you don't get too overwhelmed.

The ladies here are incredible and will help you with any questions so don't hesitate to ask.

Back to Top View fsuadamson's Profile Search for other posts by fsuadamson Visit fsuadamson's Homepage

tigir
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 22 2007 at 3:30am | IP Logged  

Teressa & Nicole ME TOO! I am constantly trying to get/stay organized around here, and I find that the more I am on this computer, the less that happens.

I am not currently HS, but hope that I can convince my DH that is the best way to go with our family. At least with our younger ones, our eldest is in 6th grade, and I think it might be worse to pull her out at this point, iykwim. We live in a small, rural community, with a good school, I just hate not seeing her most of the week! I DO want to raise my children.

It is my hope I will get organized and incorporate the things I learn to a point that DH will see it can work.
Back to Top View tigir's Profile Search for other posts by tigir

AndreaG
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 22 2007 at 6:53am | IP Logged  

Hello, I have really enjoyed reading these forums and am finally posting an intro! I am homeschooling my four kids ages 7, 5, 2 and 7 months in Southern Wisconsin. I do alot of Montessori and just starting reading about Charlotte Mason and would love to incorporate more of her method into my homeschooling. Actually I think I like CM so much because alot of it is what I do already-living books, nature study, etc. I seem to have problems logging in so I'm not sure if I'll be able to post much- I keep writing replies and having my access denied. Oh well at least I managed to introduce myself.
-Andrea
GrayFamilyCircus
Back to Top View AndreaG's Profile Search for other posts by AndreaG

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 22 2007 at 10:06am | IP Logged  

Welcome Andrea!

hmbress
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 23 2007 at 2:09pm | IP Logged  

Hi, I'm Heather from Dearborn, Michigan, mom to 2 boys, 4 and 17 months. I'm part of a co-op at-home preschool with two other moms and their boys. I've been lurking on the site for months now and have gotten so many wonderful ideas and feel like I already know many of you!

More about me ... bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering, then later MBA, worked for corporate America 9 years, got to hate it, quit and started my own business as a personal chef/culinary instructor, all the while REALLY just wanted to be a mom but experiencing infertility issues ... finally blessed through adoption with our 2 boys, hope to have future such blessings as finances allow! Married almost 11 years now to Tom, engineer and doctoral candidate at University of Michigan.

My interests/activities ... cooking, reading (currently reading "In This House of Brede", "Raising Boys", "Basic Montessori"), NFP instructor (CCL), chastity speaker, step aerobics, kickboxing, and weight training, recently took up running (will be entering first race in June!) (all of this exercise is done in the wee hours of the morning before the kids wake up!). I'm also an active 12-stepper. I'm currently trying to convert our office into a learning room, and the basement into a playroom/craft room, and enjoying the (finally) warmer weather!

Enough for now, I'm so looking forward to being part of your community!

Heather
Back to Top View hmbress's Profile Search for other posts by hmbress

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2007 at 4:33pm | IP Logged  

Welcome Heather -- you sound pretty busy up there in Michigan! Dive right in and have fun with the many different areas on the forum!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2007 at 5:05pm | IP Logged  

hmbress wrote:
Hi,, step aerobics, kickboxing, and weight training, recently took up running (will be entering first race in June!) (

Welcome, Heather! I love kickboxing, too - and I workout in the morning with some workout DVDs..Wanted to welcome you and to wave hi from another kickboxing fan!

MrsMJ
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 24 2007 at 8:05am | IP Logged  

Hi,

I'm Donna - just wanted to introduce myself! I'm married to Mark and we have 4 children - a grown, married daughter with 2 littlies of her own (she homeschools, too), a grown son who lives on his own, and 2 teenagers at home. We've been homeschooling for almost 9 years and loving every single second of it!

When we began homeschooling, we started off with school at home (lasted 2 weeks), then CM and FIAR (does anyone love the little story discs as much as I did???), and Montessori.

As they got older and things in our life become more hectic, we became unschoolers and discovered how much we love this lifestyle, so we've just continued with it.

We are "radical" unschoolers in that my dh and I do not require that the boys do any kind of academics. We truly believe that they learn through living their life (this includes their faith) and we've seen so much proof of this that we simply don't worry anymore about whether they are missing anything.

Please don't get the impression that we sit around doing nothing - is that even POSSIBLE as homeschoolers???    Our lives are very full and quite joyful for the most part. We're sort of unconventional.

I love art and I enjoy doing crafts - especially needle felting and knitting (I'm not very good at knitting, though). I paint and collage and make very poor attempts at sewing . I read whenever I get the chance, play my flute and love to dance. Cooking is one of my favorite and most relaxing activities (I can read a cookbook with as much joy as a novel!), as well as sitting on my screened-in porch and watching/listening to the birds and my cats! I love sunshine! And I love to blog!

I do the best I can muddling through homemaking and housekeeping and life in general - but I have a good time! Well, most of the time anyway.

I'm looking for other Catholic mom's to "socialize" with. I don't have a great amount of time for message boards or email lists, but I try to pop in and read and I will try to share a bit of our lives, too, whenever I can. I recognize many names on this message board from other lists I'm on or have been on in the past, so I feel like I've already landed among friends!

It's nice to be here!

God Bless,
Donna
Mice and Moonbeams
Back to Top View MrsMJ's Profile Search for other posts by MrsMJ

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 24 2007 at 8:27am | IP Logged  

Well, Donna -- welcome! The more I have the kids home, the more I'm drawn to unschooling! It's just so obvious that anyone (kid or adult) will learn better if they're interested in the topic....but I'd be wary of going too radical (says the woman who three years ago would never have even considered unschooling )

I love to knit and will be happy to encourage your skill-growth all you'd like!

I love your blog -- and the quote from Koontz sums me up a bit too ....

So welcome, welcome, welcome and please dive right in and enjoy!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 24 2007 at 9:28am | IP Logged  

hmbress wrote:
reading (currently reading "In This House of Brede",

Welcome, Heather and ALL new members. We're so happy to have you join us.   

Springtime certainly seems to be the time to read this classic. I'm reading it too and feel very blessed by it.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 24 2007 at 10:16am | IP Logged  

hmbress wrote:

My interests/activities ... cooking, reading (currently reading "In This House of Brede",

Me too, Heather! Isn't it wonderful? We should start a "House of Brede Fan Club!"

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

meaculpa365
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 24 2007 at 10:19pm | IP Logged  

i am enjoying reading thru all the helpful posts, so i'd better introduce myself. i am pam lees wife of my great guy erik. we have 6 children: fayth- 20 freshman at southern catholic, april-18 recent graduate of our lady of the sacred heart in alice springs, zach-13 argumentive 9th grader w/ modg, tori-12 drama queen 6th grader w/ modg, finn-9 stall man 3rd grader w/ modg and joey-2 our australian baby!
we are currently finishing up our 3rd year here in australia-such a blessing and the family adventure my dh wanted. i actually found the board due to another au homeschooling mom who had a link.
i have needed encouragement from a catholic homeschooling perspective and now im seeing that well also need some help in our transtion back to the usa in july. i reconize many names from my own catholic homeschooling path. thanks for the opp. to chat and learn. pls forgive my odd typing-recovering from hand/wrist surgery.
pam in au jmj
Back to Top View meaculpa365's Profile Search for other posts by meaculpa365

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: April 24 2007 at 11:18pm | IP Logged  

SuzanneG wrote:
hmbress wrote:

My interests/activities ... cooking, reading (currently reading "In This House of Brede",

Me too, Heather! Isn't it wonderful? We should start a "House of Brede Fan Club!"

You know I'd join, Suzanne!

Welcome to all of our new members! This is a great place to hang out.

nicole-amdg
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 25 2007 at 12:30am | IP Logged  

Hi Pam! Where is Southern Catholic? I think I had pipe dreams of teaching there one day!

Nicole
Back to Top View nicole-amdg's Profile Search for other posts by nicole-amdg

MrsMJ
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 25 2007 at 7:27am | IP Logged  

Hi MaryG and all,

Thanks for the welcome - I will probably take you up on your offer to help me learn to knit!

Also, thank you for stopping by my blog - the quote is a favorite of my husband's, too. He says he and I are as different as Mice and Moonbeams! We are, too!

God Bless,
Donna
Mice and Moonbeams
Back to Top View MrsMJ's Profile Search for other posts by MrsMJ

EmilyK
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 26 2007 at 8:47pm | IP Logged  

Hi, I'm Emily from Nebraska. A friend of mine sent me a link to this forum regarding a topic we were recently discussing.

My little ones are dd aged 3 & ds aged 14 mo. We are looking forward to starting homeschooling in a year or two. I've always been more afraid of the how-to of homeschooling than the should-I....

My interests include attachment parenting, scrapbooking, CCL NFP (we are teachers on hiatus), and trying to lose weight so I can achieve pregnancy again!

And I also like to learn how to add personal info to my profile

God bless,
Emily
Back to Top View EmilyK's Profile Search for other posts by EmilyK

<< Prev Page of 20 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version