Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Introduce Yourself (2007) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Laura W.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 13 2007 at 10:42am | IP Logged  

Hi,
I'm new here. I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Laura Westerman. I live in Northern California with my husband, Matt and our six children. I have five boys and one girl. They are 10yob, 8yog, 6yob, 5yob, 3yob, and 4mob. I have been home schooling for six years and we all love it!

We love life adventures...for example we lived in Mexico for a brief few months going to Language School and then working as Catholic Missionaries. We did this two years ago.
There is this thought that couples with more than 2 children can't travel or DO THINGS. We like to "prove em wrong".

I enjoy homeschooling, cleaning and organizing my home, things of beauty, preparing healthy, real food for my family, running, reading, traveling, movies, sending and receiving letters in the mail, large families, and our Catholic Faith!
(Oh, I'm not very good at all this computer stuff, but I will do my best!)
I look forward to 'meeting' all of you,
Laura
Back to Top View Laura W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Laura W.

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 13 2007 at 11:19am | IP Logged  

Hi, Laura! Welcome to the boards! It is a lovely place........I have been hanging out with these ladies for almost a decade

We have a lot in commmon..........except that RUNNING part .....including the fact that we both live in Northern CA.

We just took a cross-country trip, the kids and I, and no matter how beautiful it is everywhere else...........I still love this part of the country best for me!

Funny.........it has been quite a few months since I checked in on this forum..........seems every time I do..........there is a new Californian signing on

Enjoy the boards!

And, this goes to you, too, Deborah!

God bless!

Laura W.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 13 2007 at 12:38pm | IP Logged  

Hi Chari!

Thanks for the warm welcome!
I just visited your blog...what a lovely trip you were able to take with your family! We are HUGE 'Little House' fans...we are currently watching Season 5 via Netflix...even my husband loves them

Thanks again,
Laura

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 13 2007 at 1:14pm | IP Logged  

Laura--YEAH!!!! You made your way here too! I was so happy to see your comment on my blog and now you're part of my favorite group of ladies too. I miss you...let's have a family adventure some time soon. We're thinking of heading to China for a few months next year, is that adventure enough for you?

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

Julia
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 16 2007 at 7:50am | IP Logged  

Hello everyone,

After much procrastination (and lurking), I'm finally posting here.

I'm Julia, mom to Aidan, age 5 lover of dinosaurs, astronomy and matchbox cars. I'm a native New Yorker and live in the city with my husband, Sean, and near my parents. Aidan and I are just re-starting our homeschooling adventure - he attended a local pre-K this year. I'm still exploring approaches and look forward to figuring that out here.

I love to read, walk, surf (the web, although I'd love to learn the other kind as well) and re-learning my faith. Also *trying* to enjoy cooking around my husband's food allergies.

I reverted back to the Church in December, after many years away. Like Deborah, my husband is not Catholic either, so I think we will *both* be starting novenas soon...

I've already learned so much here, and hope to learn more.

Warmly,

Julia
Back to Top View Julia's Profile Search for other posts by Julia

jugglingpaynes
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Aug 16 2007 at 8:02am | IP Logged  

Hi Julia,
We're practically neighbors! I'm just north of the city now, but I grew up there and my parents are still there.

Peace and Laughter,

Comics, Coffee and Catches
Back to Top View jugglingpaynes's Profile Search for other posts by jugglingpaynes

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2007 at 8:20am | IP Logged  

Deborah -- welcome -- I'd say "ghia guich" but I'm not sure how you spell it ; my 16yod loves all things Irish and is trying to learn Irish Gaelic!

Laura -- where in No. Cal? I grew up in SF (IN the city) and still have tons of relatives living in the better half of Calif ! My brother and his wife are in Redding and sister & brother and TONS of relatives in the Bay Area.

Julia -- welcome to you and Aidan. Living and learning at home is so MUCH more fun than "real school" -- it'll be a great adventure for y'all!

Jump right in ladies and join in conversations -- it's like a huge tea party where we all quickly become friends and everyone has advice on everything

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Laura W.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 16 2007 at 12:26pm | IP Logged  

Hi
This is for Mary G.
You asked where we live...we live in Roseville, which is just north of Sacramento. We are both from the bay area, though. We have only lived here for almost a year.
Thanks for the nice welcome message!
Laura

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2007 at 12:57pm | IP Logged  

Laura!

My parents lived in Roseville (when it was just a blip on the road) back in '55 when they first married. Mom hated it -- she's from SF and was not very used to "small town America" where no one locked doors and all knew she was pregnant with my sister BEFORE she did! . Dad worked at the hospital in the lab but they only lasted a year, than moved back to SF and that's where we were all born....

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Exploreandlearn
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Aug 19 2007 at 11:38am | IP Logged  

Hi ladies!
My name is Melissa. Married to DH for
11years(yesterday ) and we have 2 DDs(9 and 7) & 1DS(4) We are Methodist and very involved with our church. Our community is very ecunemical and the churches in the area often join together for different services, and events. I think that's great!
This will be our 3rd year homeschooling and though some days I get very overwhelmed I wouldn't trade it for anything because I know that it is God's plan for us.   I don't really know if there is a label for the type of homeschooling we do. We do use Sonlight but not exclusively or strictly. I tweak it to fit our style. If the kids get interested in something, we have been known to drop what we're doing and study what they want for a few weeks. DD9 is a very voracious reader and is quite happy reading all the time.
   I came across the Montessori & more forum awhile back and liked what I saw so I have been organizing our learning room to include a Montessori area. I think it will work really well for our 4yr old DS. He's has had a rough first 4 years of life, illnesses and surgeries. Plus he has some sensory issues. His Dr also thinks he may have Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis.   He absolutely loves any Practical Life activities, building things and animals. I do have Sonlight Exploring God's World for him but we'll follow it very loosily here and there. He does like to be read to.
DD7, I think will enjoy alot of the Montessori acvtivities aswell. She is very easy going and just enjoys learning.
I didn't realize right away that there were so many other forums here besides the Montessori one! When I originally came to 4Real, I followed a link directly to the Montessori & more forum. I'm so glad I realized there was SO much more, lol.
I'm sure all my DC will benefit from all the wonderful ideas that I have found here.

Blessings,

Melissa
Back to Top View Exploreandlearn's Profile Search for other posts by Exploreandlearn

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Aug 19 2007 at 10:49pm | IP Logged  

Welcome, Melissa! As it looks like you've already seen, this is a wonderful group of women. I find so much information of help here on the forum -- in all areas of my homeschooling, and well, my life too!

bramasole
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Aug 20 2007 at 10:15am | IP Logged  

Hello Everyone!
I joined this forum a little while ago, but have never posted. I know a few of you from your blogs and perhaps some of you have read my new one. So I already feel welcome.

My name is Heather and I am a single parent of two wonderful children - my son will be 6 in October and my daughter turned 4 in April. We informally began homeschooling last year. According our school system's guidelines, my son would only be elligible for kindergarten this year. However, he is reading and doing triple digit addition. I just can't see putting him into a classroom where they would be teaching letter sounds. He would be so bored. In addition, he is extremely tall for his age and has asthma and allergies. I think he would be best suited to the home environment. Besides, I love having them with me!

So, how does a single parent homeschool? While I know I am not the only one, we all have different ways of making it happen. I am fortunate enough to have at least one family member who is willing to sacrifice for us. We are living with her for now and she is helping us make it. I also own my own business. It is a 'paint-your-own' pottery studio and book/toy shoppe. I also do some collectibles, beading and decoupage. My primary source of income is hosting parties in the studio. I really enjoy what I do, but I am trying to sell my studio to take care of some debt. I will be posting a prayer request at a fellow member's suggestion.

We are starting our homeschooling journey with a Chralotte Mason approach with some classical principles as well. Before I was married, I was a Catholic School teacher. After reading Real Learing and doing some research, it was amazing to me that I had applied some of these ideas in my traditional classroom. But even teaching at a Catholic school, I knew I would want to educate my children myself. It was my experience that Catholic Schools just weren't that different from public schools, unfortunately.

So here we are and here we begin... Thank you for this forum. I am looking forward to borrowing lots of wonderful ideas from you ladies. I am also looking forward to developing some true and lasting friendships. As a single parent, I do not get many chances to be with friends or to develop friendships. I am hoping that I can do that better through this forum and our blogs.

Have a wonderful day!
Heather
Bramasole
Cuggle Corner
Mia Bramasole
Back to Top View bramasole's Profile Search for other posts by bramasole

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 21 2007 at 12:11am | IP Logged  

Welcome, Heather!

Glad you have joined us. I will pray for you, for your intentions, and for you to find a "friend" here. There are lots of ladies to go around.

Teakafrog
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 22 2007 at 12:22pm | IP Logged  

Hi all. My name is Tammy and I'm a mom to 3 so far. We live in the boonies in the Missouri Ozarks. Our oldest is 11 and in 6th grade at the parish school, which is 20 miles away. It only goes to 8th grade, and I am NOT sending him to public school here, so I am researching homeschool ideas. Our 2 girls are 2 and 8mo, so it will be awhile for them, but if I end up HSing big brother, I may HS them too, if I can talk Dad into it . I hope to learn a lot from everyone here, and I'll be asking lots of questions!
Tammy in MO
Back to Top View Teakafrog's Profile Search for other posts by Teakafrog

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 22 2007 at 5:09pm | IP Logged  

Hi Tammy!
Welcome! You will find wonderful and inspiring moms and ideas here! Plus incredible support!

My mum's family is spread through the Ozarks into OK. Her Great-grandfather was a Baptist preacher who built a lovely little church (Mt. Zion Baptist Church) somewhere in the Ozarks. All I know, when we went to visit it (my grandparents are buried there,) is that there were a ton of roads with no names, only letters, and this place with the church is on no map. Lots of ?Amish? or Mennonites were seen while we scoured the hills and countryside for this church!

Sorry for rambling, but I hear the word "Ozarks" and it speaks to my heart!

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
mom to 6dss (19, 16, 12, 9, 5, and 3)
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

UK Mum
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 23 2007 at 2:25pm | IP Logged  

Hello!
I am a newbie...my name is Lynn, I have been married for 7 years & have 2 girls, Elianna (4.5) & Rosie (almost 2) Elianna will officially be homeschooled from september. I am English, & tbh, I find H/S in the UK tends to be quite new age, so i am delighted to find this forum! We are Christians...I would say non denominational...we attend a methodist church.
Looking forward to 'meeting' you all...
Back to Top View UK Mum's Profile Search for other posts by UK Mum

Marcia
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 25 2007 at 10:55am | IP Logged  

Okay finally posting an intro here. I have been reading these boards for almost two years, but thought maybe I'd find more time if I joined...just kidding!

I'm Marcia. Have four children (3 daughters 1 son). We do a mix of CM and Montessori. We have been homeschooling since the beginning. I help to run an Atrium for homeschooled kids. We are Roman Catholic, but do our best to integrate both lungs....we have a great love for the Eastern Catholic churches.
Back to Top View Marcia's Profile Search for other posts by Marcia

Roma
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Aug 25 2007 at 1:14pm | IP Logged  

Hi,
I'm Roma. We just moved from FL to Virginia. We have 2 boys so far: 3 1/2 and almost 1. We are seriously exploring homeschool. Our older son is very eager to learn already. I was a Catholic school teacher before having our first child. I'm looking forward to learning from all of you

ETA: I noticed there are a lot of people from Virginia here. That is exciting for me.
Back to Top View Roma's Profile Search for other posts by Roma

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 25 2007 at 2:39pm | IP Logged  

Welcome, Marcia and Roma! I'm glad you're here!

Roma, I have a 4 year old boy and one on the way. Are you in Northern Virginia? There is some great support groups here.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

SueW
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 25 2007 at 3:46pm | IP Logged  

Welcome, Marcia and Roma!

Marcia, it is nice to see someone else who is interested in Byzantine Catholicism.
We were in the Eastern rite for over ten years, but as of our recent move, there are no parishes near us. So we go to the Roman rite "quickie" masses now
We miss the intimacy of the small churches, and the rich prayers... but I prefer some things about the Roman rite too.
~Sue
Back to Top View SueW's Profile Search for other posts by SueW

<< Prev Page of 20 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version