Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Introduce Yourself (2007) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 02 2007 at 4:38pm | IP Logged  

Aggie gal wrote:
Yes, Matilda, I'm from Texas originally. Houston area. My husband is from Dallas and we are both Aggies. We've been outta the Lone Star State now for about 14 years or so, and have lived in SD, OK, AK, IL, NE, OH, and now VA.

Nice to meet you as well.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Aggie gal
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 02 2007 at 7:16pm | IP Logged  

teachingmyown wrote:

Is that you, Miss Amy?! I almost missed your intro. Welcome to the list, glad you decided to come and play!

Welcome to all the newcomers. You'll love it here!

Why,yes, it is Miss Molly!    Thanks!
Back to Top View Aggie gal's Profile Search for other posts by Aggie gal

simplemama
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 03 2007 at 12:49am | IP Logged  

Aggie gal wrote:
JennGM wrote:

Hi Amy! I'm originally from Houston. Are you in Northern Virginia, and are you coming to the conference?

Yes, and yeeeessssssssss! Very excited to be coming and meeting you all.   

Welcome! Looking foward to meeting you tomorrow if all goes well!

Back to Top View simplemama's Profile Search for other posts by simplemama Visit simplemama's Homepage

Barbara R.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 06 2007 at 7:59pm | IP Logged  

Hello everyone:

I'm Barbara and I live in northern VA. I've been married for 21 years to my patient, loving, hard-working, kayaking veterinarian husband. We have 6 children: dd almost 17, ds 15, ds 12, ds 9 1/2, dd 7, and dd 2 1/2.

The two oldest are no longer homeschooled, attending a Catholic HS (dd) and a Christian school (ds) with mostly Catholic students. This will be my first year teaching 7th grade, and I'm pleased to be taking it on. We've (yes, we--some years my husband teaches a 1/2 day of his own curriculum) been homeschooling since the oldest was in a preschool co-op, so that makes this coming year our 14th!

In some ways I feel like a pro, but other times I think I know next to nothing. We do fine with the basics, but I want our school and family life to be richer (nature, art, liturgy).

I love to read but don't do it often, b/c the house can fall apart during the time it takes to read something absorbing. I learned to knit a few years ago and like walking, cooking, and baking. My husband and I teach NFP.

Thanks for reading. I'm looking forward to joining the conversations here.

Barbara R.
Back to Top View Barbara R.'s Profile Search for other posts by Barbara R. Visit Barbara R.'s Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Aug 06 2007 at 8:05pm | IP Logged  

Barbara R. wrote:
Hello everyone:

I'm Barbara and I live in northern VA. I've been married for 21 years to my patient, loving, hard-working, kayaking veterinarian husband. We have 6 children: dd almost 17, ds 15, ds 12, ds 9 1/2, dd 7, and dd 2 1/2..

Hey, I know you!
Barbara is my dear friend, my son Stephen's godmother, and   
doula extraordinaire. It's so nice to see her here!

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

LucyP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 07 2007 at 12:37pm | IP Logged  

Hello everyone! My name is Lucy and I am a new member. We live in England, and currently my husband has our family attending an anglo-catholic church (basically the "catholic" wing of the Church of England). I've been married for 12 years and we have one little blessing from God, our son, James who is 3 1/2 and whom I educate at home. God willing, we hope to be blessed with a little girl also in the next few months - we are waiting to find out if a specifc baby girl can be our daughter and are finding much cause to ask for the prayers of St Thomas More! (We adopt our children)

I am looking forward to finding out more ideas and inspiration to help me in my life as a mother and teacher of our children, and for ways we can enjoy embracing the traditions and teachings of the church.
Back to Top View LucyP's Profile Search for other posts by LucyP

simplemama
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 07 2007 at 4:06pm | IP Logged  

Welcome Lucy!

The other day I was going to post to see if anyone lived in England. We live here in the heartland of the US but we have family in Nuneton, Cheshem Bucks, York and somewhere else near London as my dad is from England. There is a possibility we are going to travel there next month, hopefully God wills it and lets us know soon!    Are you near any of those places?

Either way, welcome! This has been a great place of inspiration, motivation, and resources beyond what you may want! ;) Have fun!

Back to Top View simplemama's Profile Search for other posts by simplemama Visit simplemama's Homepage

yabby
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 08 2007 at 12:31am | IP Logged  

I wanted to stop by and introduce myself as well. I'm Yavonn, married to Rob with 4 ds Jason 10, Matt 7, Will (almost) 3 and Adam is new (10 weeks). We live in Oklahoma.
We've been homeschooling for 5 years and have some extra learning challenges but so far I haven't questioned if it's what I'm being "called" to do. I look forward to getting to know everyone...but wish I'd found the board at a diffrent time of year as we are starting school now. We do a combination of school at home and unit studies with some unschooling thrown in just to keep the kids on their toes.   
Back to Top View yabby's Profile Search for other posts by yabby

LucyP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 08 2007 at 1:20am | IP Logged  

Hi, Simple Mama, we live in Norfolk, which is sort of between London and York.

dawn2006
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 08 2007 at 7:53am | IP Logged  

Hi, I'm Dawn. I've been married to dh for 10 1/2 years and we have Gabriel (5), Daniel (3), Elizabeth (2) and baby #4 due in Feb. We are living in San Antonio. We are from TX but have also lived in Wichita (twice), North Carolina, and Washington state. I'd like to note now that I just finished my morning coffee so I'll stop typing now...otherwise I'll prattle on indefinitely. Thanks for having me.
Back to Top View dawn2006's Profile Search for other posts by dawn2006 Visit dawn2006's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 08 2007 at 8:10am | IP Logged  

Welcome to all you newbies -- jump right in and play ... we're a very nice group of folks trying to live and learn with our families and LOVING it!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

virginia_4_life
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 09 2007 at 1:21pm | IP Logged  

Hello Ladies,
    I have been on your site since it started and I have been inspired by you all many times.
    My name is Maureen and I am a homeschooling mom of five girls. We have just moved from King George County, VA and we are in the process of finding a house to rent. We have left the house hunting in the hands of Our Blessed Mother and St. Joseph and I thought that maybe Our Lord would use some of you as an instrument in helping us find a home =) We have been looking to rent in the Fredericksburg area and anywhere north/northwest of there. My husband works in Pentagon City and our girls Irish Dance in Manassas, but we are not limiting ourselves to a specific area.   
    We welcome any info. that you may have and we would love to be close to other homeschooling families. Thank you for any input that you have.   
God bless you all,
Maureen
Back to Top View virginia_4_life's Profile Search for other posts by virginia_4_life

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 09 2007 at 10:25pm | IP Logged  

Hi all --

I'm new here, though I know a few of you from Mater Amabilis TTF and FCL yahoo lists. I'm Sally, I live in Tennessee, I've been married to my lovely husband for 17 years, and we have four children, whom I'll call by their online names, which are not their real names, because -- well, because I kind of like their online names!I made them up for use on my blog,Fine Old Famly, and I like writing about them as Epiphany, 13; Amicus, 9; Helier, 5; and Crispina, 3. We're entering our 5th year of homeschooling this fall and would not live any other way.

We are recent Catholic converts (January '07), though -- hello, Lucy! -- we were Anglo-Catholics for many years, and my husband was a priest, prior to our conversion. We lived in Cambridge, England, for four years, and the memory of our beautiful experience in an Anglo-Catholic parish there was what really made Catholics of us in the end.

Technically I'm taking an internet break in order to finish a couple of writing projects before our "official" school year starts -- though we tend towards unschooliness, we call our fall term "Assumption Term," and start it by celebrating the Feast of the Assumption on the 15th. So I've got a lot to do between now and then, but I had registered for these forums, and just got my "activation" email, and wanted to say hello before disappearing for a bit!

Lovely to meet you all.

Pax Christi,

Sally in Memphis
Back to Top View SallyT's Profile Search for other posts by SallyT Visit SallyT's Homepage

GraceandCoffee
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Aug 09 2007 at 11:32pm | IP Logged  

Wow, that's quite an amazing story, Sally! Welcome from a fellow newbie and covert from the Episcopal Church. :) I am super jealous of your time spent in England! I suppose your husband is all set to appear on Marcus Grodi's show? Or perhaps he has already.

LucyP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 10 2007 at 2:49am | IP Logged  

Oh, Sally, I am always so glad when I hear of people who converted from anglo-catholicism to the real deal. I personally would rather not be an anglican. I don't feel that is my spiritual home. But, for us, the reason dh won't/can't convert to RCatholicism, is that he is convinced he has a call to the anglican priest hood. Other respected people confirm his vocation. So I am in a catch 22 situation. I don't want division and confusion in our family, and I don't want to come between him and God - but of course all that feels as if it comes between me and God!

Cambridge is lovely. Which church did you attend?

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 10 2007 at 9:45am | IP Logged  

OK, I'm not really disappearing! Everyone's off playing pirates with a neighborhood friend (in our backyard, that is, but they're not IN THE ROOM WITH ME WANTING TO SIT ON MY LAP), and I went to check my email and lo and behold, the computer sucked me in. Really. It's all the computer's fault.

Lucy -- I understand your situation completely. My husband was the one who led us into a Catholic life,via Anglo-Catholicism -- one of our former arguments had me always protesting, "But why do we care about the Magisterium? We're NOT CATHOLIC, for crying out loud!" May God forgive me -- but the actual conversion was very, very difficult for him. I was the one who dragged us all to a Catholic church, after things sort of went south in our last (American) Episcopal parish, and I woke up one day realizing that I really did believe in the Real Presence and could not bear to raise my children outside that belief for one more minute . . . that's making a long, convoluted story very much shorter. All that to say that it was my husband, in the end, who had the hardest time making the conversion leap, and a huge part of that was sacrificing his orders, and his identity as a priest. It was a far greater mortification of self than any of the rest of us made.

He has been exploring the Pastoral Provision options which are open to him as a former priest but at this time isn't making an active move to pursue them. He probably will at some point. He's still searching for a stable academic job -- we were in Cambridge for his Ph.d in theology -- so until that part of things is resolved, we don't want to be tied to a diocese. Our current diocese isn't brilliant -- we have one of those bishops whose inclination is to downplay the Motu Proprio (well, unless lots of people are clamoring for Latin . . . ), and who was, I think, a bit nonplussed when my husband approached him to obtain the Mandatum, which technically all Catholic theologians are supposed to hold. Nobody else teaching in the Catholic university here had ever asked for it, apparently.

And we were at Little Saint Mary's in Cambridge. We still miss it -- and pretty much everything else about living in Cambridge!

Funnily enough, G&C, someone asked my husband to write his conversion story for This Rock magazine -- but they don't want it now, because it's too much about being convinced, intellectually, of the truth, and not enough about "the Holy Spirit in my heart." Like the Holy Spirit in your mind has nothing to do with the rest of you . . . Or at least, they've asked him to rewrite it to sound more like "the moment I encountered God," which he can't do, because there really wasn't one identifiable moment when he "encountered God" . . . *sigh*

OK, I need to go write at least as much on this book article I'm doing as I've just written here! I'm really looking forward to more conversation. And I hope I can steer my oldest daughter to the teen forum as well.

Pax,

Sally

Fine Old Famly
Saint Daniel the Stylite Academy
Abandon Hopefully
Back to Top View SallyT's Profile Search for other posts by SallyT Visit SallyT's Homepage

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 10 2007 at 9:49am | IP Logged  

Whoops, I think I did those blog links wrong. Oh well. I'll sort it out later.

Sally

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 10 2007 at 10:27am | IP Logged  

Welcome all!!
We have two former Anglican/Episcopal Priests married with families working in our Peoria Diocese- in the Dept of Evangelization and in The Dept of Young Adult Ministry. They each have 5 kids and are doing really well here! (my dh also works for the Diocese).

We also went through all of our marriage prep in Steubenville with THE very first Anglican Married with kids Priest to become a Priest in the Roman Catholic Rite in the US. whew! that is a mouthful.

As a convert myself (from Scot Presbyterian) with an Anglo/English geneology, I really have a heart for Anglo/Catholic Relations. Looking forward to learning from all of you more!

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 10 2007 at 3:48pm | IP Logged  

LucyP wrote:
Hello everyone! My name is Lucy and I am a new member.

Hi Lucy!
I'm so happy to "see" you here. Welcome!!!

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

Dewdropdeb
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 13 2007 at 7:29am | IP Logged  

Hi ladies,

My name is Deborah. I've been married to Paul for five years and we have two daughters Ella (3) and Ciara (pronounced KEER-ah, 18 months.)

We moved to Ireland from Michigan 2.5 years ago, as that is where I'm originally from, to be closer to family.

I'm Catholic and DH is... well... something! I've actually started the 54 rosary novena today in the hopes that he might convert, which looks desperately unlikely at this point in time!

I am considering homeschooling, but have not reached a decision yet. The education system in Ireland is very very good and they include religious education (Catholic) in the curriculum. DH was home schooled and hated it, so is not overly supportive at this point, but he is open to it!

Anyways, that's me in a nutshell. I look forward to meeting you all. Am particularly interested in learning more about pre-school things I can be doing with my two girls, whilst we decide what to do about school. School starts at age 4 here too... so better make my mind up soon! ;-)

Deborah
Back to Top View Dewdropdeb's Profile Search for other posts by Dewdropdeb

<< Prev Page of 20 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version