Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Introduce Yourself (2007) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
melanie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 06 2007 at 7:28am | IP Logged  

Welcome Lara,

Just wanted to say I love the names of your children. Many are names we had thought of ourselves, so I kind of chuckled over the list. We have a Jack of our own as well. :)

I grew up in your area of Virginia...we moved when I was 15, but I still have some family around there.

slightlycrunchycatholic.blogspot.com
Back to Top View melanie's Profile Search for other posts by melanie Visit melanie's Homepage

Lorraine
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 06 2007 at 10:32pm | IP Logged  

Hello,

My name is Lorraine and my husband is David. We have two little ones - Joyce who is 4 1/2 and Matthew who is 2 1/2. We live in Toronto, Canada. I quit my job of 9 years in January to be a SAHM. We didn't even think about homeschooling at that time for a hosts of reasons - not having enough patience, lack of teaching skills, English not being our first language... On top of that, Catholic homeschooling isn't as popular here as it is in the states so support is a bit hard to find. (There is a public Catholic school board here - "Why don't you just send your kids to the Catholic school so they can learn from experienced teachers and socialize with other kids?" is a question I get a lot.) But we have since felt the Lord calling us to take this path. So even if it may be an uphill battle, we'll take it a year at a time and see where He leads us.

I'm still a bit overwhelmed by all the information I've gathered from this forum, various blogs and yahoogroups. My daughter had been attending a Montessori preschool and I've already started to accummulate some materials in our basement "school room." She's so eager to learn that everyday she asks me to show her something new. I told her that this is the summer break and I will have something more structured in the fall. Hopefully I can learn lots more here and from other sources so that I will get something together by then. I'm eagerly awaiting for the arrival of Real Learning and the PreS/K CHC curriculum in my mailbox. Sorry I just realized that I rambled on and this post was too long for an intro but it's late now so I hope that's OK Thank you everyone who has so generously provided all the support and encouragement to each other. I feel very fortunate and priviledged to be a member.

God bless,
Lorraine

p.s. Are there any Canadians here? Anyone in the vicinity of Toronto (wishful thinking)?
Back to Top View Lorraine's Profile Search for other posts by Lorraine

Syncletica
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 07 2007 at 12:09am | IP Logged  

Hi Lorraine,
I'm from Canada, but I'm 3 provinces over in Alberta, enduring a heat wave. At least, what we consider a heat wave! Today it 'cooled' off to 27 degrees but yesterday and the day before were around 37 degrees Celsius. Hope you'll meet some more Canadians that are even closer to you. Take care,
Holly
Back to Top View Syncletica's Profile Search for other posts by Syncletica Visit Syncletica's Homepage

ozlouise
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 07 2007 at 5:54am | IP Logged  

Hi,

I am homeschooling my 6yo son and 4yo daughter in Australia. I have learnt so much from the boards and look forward to participating. I have gained so much information from the Montessori board and have shopped today so I can make some more materials tonight. We are about to have 2 weeks off school for the holidays and I am looking forward to presenting some new, exciting materials next term.
Louise
Back to Top View ozlouise's Profile Search for other posts by ozlouise

melanie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 07 2007 at 8:44am | IP Logged  

and the day before were around 37 degrees Celsius."

Um...I'm sorry, is my math really rusty or isn't that like 69 degrees F? Does that really feel hot if you're from Canada? I'm seriously curious! Cuz that's a brisk spring day here in Arkansas.

Back to Top View melanie's Profile Search for other posts by melanie Visit melanie's Homepage

Syncletica
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 07 2007 at 9:15am | IP Logged  

Nope - don't American thermometers have both Fahrenheit and Celsius? 37 degrees Celsius is about the equivalent of 98 degrees Fahrenheit. 67 F looks like it's close to about 20 C, which is ideal weather for us.
Back to Top View Syncletica's Profile Search for other posts by Syncletica Visit Syncletica's Homepage

melanie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 07 2007 at 11:55am | IP Logged  

"don't American thermometers have both Fahrenheit and Celsius?"

Well,,,yeah, but I don't ever *read* the Celsius side...

Hallie
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 09 2007 at 2:54pm | IP Logged  

Hello! My name is Hallie. I've been married for going on 6 years to my cute husband, Dan. We have three little ones. Daniel is 3, Jack is 2 and Sophia is 10 months. We moved to central Texas recently and are having fun learning about our new state.

I am very excited about homeschooling and am eager to learn all I can before it's time to plan curriculums and start kindergarten. In the meantime we are reading, listening to good music, cooking, doing lots of artwork, taking nature walks and all that good stuff.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all better!

http://hallie.wordpress.com/
Back to Top View Hallie's Profile Search for other posts by Hallie Visit Hallie's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 09 2007 at 3:31pm | IP Logged  

Welcome Hallie and all recent new members! It's so good to have you here with us, it's alot of fun!! Enjoy and thanks for being here!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

nutmeg
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 11 2007 at 10:37am | IP Logged  

Hi I'm Megan and I live in Irving, Texas. This will be my 4th year homeschooling and I still feel like such a newbie!

I look forward to gleaning many bits of wisdom from all of you!
Back to Top View nutmeg's Profile Search for other posts by nutmeg Visit nutmeg's Homepage

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 11 2007 at 11:02am | IP Logged  

Hi Megan!

I'm in Plano--not toooo far away from you! Welcome! What ages are your kids?

Mine are 12, 9, 7, 5, 2.5, 5 months...

God bless you!

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

Courtney
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 11 2007 at 11:14am | IP Logged  

Hi, Megan! I live in Southlake and have a dd almost 10, and a ds 7yrs old. Welcome to the boards!

Back to Top View Courtney's Profile Search for other posts by Courtney

nutmeg
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 11 2007 at 11:50am | IP Logged  

Hi Jennifer and Courtney!

I have 2 sons, ages 8 & 10.

And 3 daughters, ages 7, 5, & (almost) 3.

Thanks for the welcome!

Back to Top View nutmeg's Profile Search for other posts by nutmeg Visit nutmeg's Homepage

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 11 2007 at 3:23pm | IP Logged  

Hi, Megan!! Welcome to the boards. We live in Central Texas (near Ft. Hood). It's finally starting to get hot and we've had 3 full days of no rain.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

klquinby
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 11 2007 at 3:48pm | IP Logged  

My name is Kristin, and my family and I just moved to middle Tennessee from Atlanta, GA. We are me, my dh, Madeline 8, Lucas 6, Anna 5, Rachael 3, Jonathan 22mos, and Meg 9 weeks. We've been homeschooling for 3 years now and are having to learn the ins and outs of laws and procedures in a new state. Any help or advice is welcome.

I love to cycle and knit (although I'm fairly new to both hobbies).

Blessings to all,
Kristin
Back to Top View klquinby's Profile Search for other posts by klquinby

simplemama
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 11 2007 at 5:08pm | IP Logged  

Welcome Kristin! I am fairly new and don't get much time to post but really enjoy reading all these posts and blogs! I just started learning to knit and really enjoy it also, but I've never heard of cycle? Is that like knitting?

Back to Top View simplemama's Profile Search for other posts by simplemama Visit simplemama's Homepage

Barbara C.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 11 2007 at 5:11pm | IP Logged  

Hi, I'm Barbara. My husband and I live outside Chicago and have two daughters ages 4 1/2 and 21 months. I started looking into homeschooling two years ago because my college room mate mentioned homeschooling in passing and I wanted to be able to debate it with her. I was converted to homeschooling after the first book I read. (So You're Thinking About Homeschooling by Lisa Whelchel). My friend said that was the first time she converted anyone without laying down a single argument.

The same friend pointed out the 4Real Learning website because she knows that I am always compiling book lists for homeschooling and pleasure purposes. What she didn't count on was that I would get addicted to reading through this forum. It has been very educational and thought-provoking for me. And I see women on this forum who have qualities as mothers and Catholics that I wish I had. I also see that many of these same mothers struggle with some of the same day to day issues that I do.

I finally decided to join because I saw someone who could maybe benefit from what little wisdom I've garnered in my short time as a mother. And I hope that I can give as much as I receive.

Back to Top View Barbara C.'s Profile Search for other posts by Barbara C. Visit Barbara C.'s Homepage

Dawn Johnson
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 11 2007 at 5:24pm | IP Logged  

Hi Barbara,

Thank you for sharing your experience with "So, You're Thinking About Homeschooling", by Lisa Whelchel. Like you, I was thinking and praying about homeschooling for two years before I actualy did it. After reading that book I was convinvced that homeschooling was the right choice for my family (I have 4 children; ages 7, 5, 3 and 1). In the fall we will start our 3rd year of homeschooling, and we LOVE IT!. I've purchased the book at a few used book sales/stores, and I always keep 2-3 copies on hand for anyone I encounter who is interested in homeschooling. Good luck in your homeschooling adventure. Are you coming to the conference?

Dawn Johnson (Fairfax, Va.)
Back to Top View Dawn Johnson's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn Johnson

All For Jesus
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 12 2007 at 9:53am | IP Logged  

Hello,
This is my first official post here at 4 Real. We are just getting our feet wet with homeschooling beginning this past Spring. Our situation is a little unique as we have one foot in homeschool and one foot in a wonderful catholic school which is really more like a family.

We have four children ages 8, 5 and the twins who are 2 years of age. They are all homeschooled in the faith and my oldest is homeschooled half-day here at home.

Lynn from KS
Wife to my college sweetheart and mom to Samuel(98), Bridget(01),John-Paul(05) & Maryn(05)
Back to Top View All For Jesus's Profile Search for other posts by All For Jesus

Land O' Cotton
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 12 2007 at 11:37am | IP Logged  

Hello from the South!

I'm Vicki, a mom to three grown children, and grandmother to one. I'm homeschooling my 6 y/o grandson, and we're getting ready to start our third year.

As time has gone by with this journey, I'm realizing about maturity issues with boys and late birthdays. I'm hoping to learn much from the well-seasoned vets here, and hopefully bring something constructive to the mix myself.

We live in Mississippi, where the summer heat is oppressive, but the magnolias and azaleas are beautiful!
Back to Top View Land O' Cotton's Profile Search for other posts by Land O' Cotton

<< Prev Page of 20 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version