Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Introduce Yourself (2007) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
LisaC
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 21 2007 at 7:41am | IP Logged  

Hello all,

My name is Lisa and I am homeschooling first grade, and preschool next year. I have a 6, 4 and 2 year old, all boys. We are currently living in St. Louis for a year which ends January 2008, after which we will be returning to Denver. This is a great forum and I love all the inspiration I find here!

Up until now I have been the "reluctant homeschooler", always thinking I'd send the kids to school, but then not...with our current moving schedule homeschooling seems best. Now I'm excited about it! Without being fortunate to have new babies around, does anyone else think "What would I do with my time if I wasn't homeschooling?"

Lisa
Back to Top View LisaC's Profile Search for other posts by LisaC

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 21 2007 at 9:28am | IP Logged  

Welcome new members. Looks like a variety of experiences and grade levels in the new group.

It's really great to "see" you Lisa.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 21 2007 at 9:29am | IP Logged  

HI,

I posted this in a different place but thought I should post it in this thread!!

I joined here a while ago but missed introducing myself!! I am a married mother of four great children: 3 sons ages 12,6,4 and one daughter age 10. We work with 'streetpeople' and the local church. We are not catholics, but I have enjoyed this forum so much and we have been blessed spiritually by this peek into the real living of the Catholic faith by our brothers and sisters in Christ.

We are a sort of eclectic/CM/classical/unschooly mix. Cm was the first person I was exposed to when I started this thing with my then 4yods and I am so grateful.

I enjoy knitting, reading, playing Ultimate Frisbee, gardening and baking (too bad we can't live on baking as I am not so gungho about the cooking ). My hubbie is a counsellor, loves theology, creates his own celtic knotworks and wishes he had a second replica 'him' to read all the large volumes he doesn't have time for.

My ds12 loves to read, play lego...
My dd10 loves to knit, draw, dance, create...
My ds6 loves to play lego, play with the calculator...
My ds4 loves lego, and climbing all over me (all the time!)

That wasn't quite a nutshell...

Oh, and yes, we are Canadian- up here on the now thawed prairie, but have lived in the rainforest on the west coast and also on the Canadian Shield on Georgian Bay.

Have a Great Day,
Kristie

A Walk in the Woods

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 21 2007 at 9:30am | IP Logged  

Hello to all the new members

Kristie

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

sjbacb
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 22 2007 at 1:19pm | IP Logged  

Hello,

My name is Shannon and I am a SAHM to Josh 3. We are planning to start homeschooling using Montessori in the Fall. I am currently working on getting ready for all that goes into being ready.

I like the Montessori methods because I feel it fits so nicely into the life things that already need to get done.

I am looking forward to learning from all of you that have already been there and done that!

Shannon
Back to Top View sjbacb's Profile Search for other posts by sjbacb

JoJo
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 26 2007 at 6:57am | IP Logged  

Hello everyone

I have recently come across this forum and have been avidly reading the Montessori section, so now I'd like to get in on the conversation too. We are homeschooling 'newies' and are trying to follow Montessori style learning with my 6yo, who up until last year attended a Montessori preschool. I am also a mum to 3 other children, including a 3yo and a baby.

I am looking forward to contributing to the Montessori forum in particular, and to learning from everyone's experience.

JoJo
Back to Top View JoJo's Profile Search for other posts by JoJo

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 26 2007 at 8:50am | IP Logged  

Welcome, to so many new members, you're going to LOVE it here

JoJo, we're excited to have you join us at Montessori as well, it's been very busy and buzzing with all kinds of great ideas!!

Thanks for coming! Blessings!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Momto5minnies
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 26 2007 at 10:11am | IP Logged  

Hi Ladies!

My name is Elaine (Momto5Minnies) and I am a mother of 5 girls (2,5,7,9,11). I have been married for 12 years to my high school sweetheart , Scott(I know ... awwwwww ). As a family we have lived in MO, CA, NJ, and now AR.

WE are a busy family. My older 3 girls are competetive swimmers and we often travel to swim meets (a few a month) and practices (5x a week). I enjoy taking pictures and learning new things on my computer. This summer I am taking my first photography class which I am really excited about.

This coming fall 2007 will be my first year of homeschooling. I will just be starting with two of my children ... the 2nd and 5th grader. My K and 7th grader will remain in the Catholic school (for now). I really am excited, but a little nervous to home educate my girls.

For now my style (if I have to label myself) would be eclectic. I found this site through some of the homeschooling bloggers. Their ideas have been so inspiring, and I definitely appreciate new ideas and support.

Elaine
"A Wink and a Smile" (my "NEW" blog)

I am slowly trying to move my stuff from my other blog my original "A Wink and a Smile" blog from VOX
Back to Top View Momto5minnies's Profile Search for other posts by Momto5minnies

allegiance_mom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 28 2007 at 6:59am | IP Logged  

I am Mary Ann from New York State. I have two sons (8 and 2) and we are getting ready for fourth grade this fall. I have always homeschooled. I use a mix of books and make my own lesson plans. I use a lot of books and hands-on materials.
Back to Top View allegiance_mom's Profile Search for other posts by allegiance_mom Visit allegiance_mom's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 28 2007 at 8:17am | IP Logged  

Oh, welcome to all the new folks -- we've certainly had a "baby boom" of folks -- welcome, welcome, welcome.

Jump on in to any conversations that interest you or if you have questions, please don't hesitate to ask -- we're pretty nice group of folks around here....

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

melanie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 28 2007 at 8:46pm | IP Logged  

Hello,

Introducing myself...
I'm Melanie, and I've been hopping around on this board for a while now and decided to join up and become an honest citizen. :) We have been homeschooling for 4 1/2 years now, starting with a mix of our own stuff and moving onto Mother of Divine Grace. We also lean heavily on reading lists from Real Learning and Catholic Mosaic. I'm interested in Montessori method and I'm putting together some things for my 2 1/2 year old to use this coming school year. We live in northwest Arkansas and have three kids, our 10yo daughter, Maria, our 7yo nephew of whom we are legal guardians, Kain, and the aformentioned 2 year old, Jack. Maria has been diagnosed with an expressive language disorder and has some issues with reading and especially spelling and writing, but we are slowly progressing. :) Her needs were what pushed us into homeschooling to begin with,,,she was failing everything in school because she wasn't learning how to read fast enough. Maria will be starting 5th grade in the fall. Kain has severe ADHD, some motor skill and speech delays, and some social/emotional issues from a very troubled first six years of life. Also slowly making progress there. :) He will be going into first grade. Anyway, glad to officially introduce myself. I know many of your names from various blogs already!
Back to Top View melanie's Profile Search for other posts by melanie Visit melanie's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 28 2007 at 9:08pm | IP Logged  

Welcome to 4Real, Melanie.

Were you the one at the Kansas City conference who told me about using Catholic Mosaic with a child who has learning disabilities and it being the only curriculum he would sit, listen, and participate in?

Someone was telling me this and I'd like to find out who I was talking to as those words were the highlight of the whole trip for me.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

melanie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 28 2007 at 9:59pm | IP Logged  

No, that wasn't me, though I was at that conference! :) I actually just bought Catholic Mosaic *at* the conference and had you autograph it for me there. But I've been mooching off of your booklist for quite a while now...lol.
Back to Top View melanie's Profile Search for other posts by melanie Visit melanie's Homepage

Dawn Johnson
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 29 2007 at 2:03pm | IP Logged  

Hello,

I'm Dawn Johnson, from Northern Virginia. I've been married for almost 11 years. We're about to start our 3rd year of homeschooling. We have 4 children (ages 7, 5 1/2, 3 1/2 and 12 months). I love to exercise/run, cook, scrapbook and garden.

Dawn Johnson
Back to Top View Dawn Johnson's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn Johnson

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: June 29 2007 at 3:47pm | IP Logged  

Hi Dawn!

Good to see you here. It's my favorite place on the internet.

ellenjc
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 29 2007 at 9:02pm | IP Logged  

Hi all,

My name is Ellen and I'm a Northern VA refugee now living in Colorado.    I found out about this board at the conference in Denver, and am excited to find a friendly, supportive network! My oldest is 2 1/2, so we're starting early to learn so that we can hopefully start off "right" (at least having a lot of ideas, tips, etc. to have a larger pool to draw from to find what works for our family)! My husband, Chris, and I have two daughters, 2 1/2 and 10 mo., as well as an angel in heaven who allowed our older daughter to be here. I am a WAHM - I'm a mom, a doula, a childbirth educator, and a math tutor (secondary math subjects). In the loads of spare time I have (haha) I like to (sleep!) read books. I *love* reading. There are other things I love to do too, but most of them went on hold when we started having kids - we may eventually be able to add some back in (like Girl Scouts and bowling), or perhaps find new things to replace them. Glad to meet you all!
Back to Top View ellenjc's Profile Search for other posts by ellenjc

Eleanor
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 01 2007 at 1:31am | IP Logged  

Hello,

I've already posted a few times on the Montessori board. What with the pleasure of being here, I forgot to introduce myself! My name is Eleanor, and my husband's name is Brendan. We have a daughter who's 3, a son who's almost 2, and a third child due in a few months. We're blessed to have many friends at our parish, including several families who are planning on homeschooling. The only catch is, we all started having children at around the same time, so our conversations tend to be like the blind leading the blind.

It's great to be part of the forum, to read all the interesting posts and blogs, and to learn from the wonderful diversity of backgrounds and ideas.   Thank you all for making this such a lovely place to be!
Back to Top View Eleanor's Profile Search for other posts by Eleanor

Lara Sauer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 05 2007 at 9:18pm | IP Logged  

Hello! My name is Sara Beatty and I am new to this board, although I am not new to homeschooling. I will be beginning my 10th year homeschooling with the 2007-2008 school year. (How did that happen??) I am the happy wife of my own "Mr. Darcy" (although I don't think I would describe our home as Pemberly!) named Greg and the "lucky" mother of 7 wonderful children. My oldest is Andrew who will be 15 soon (yikes!), Jack who will be turning 13, Nora soon to be 10, Ben (our Millenium Baby, born 01/01/00) is 7, David who will turn 5 in a couple of days, Bridget who is 2-1/2 (and how!) and Lucy who is a simply cute 8 month old. We live in Springfield, VA and I think I am about to find out that I have many friends who are frequent visitors to this page. A huge thank you to all of you women who have worked so hard to make this page possible. You are truly inspirations!
Back to Top View Lara Sauer's Profile Search for other posts by Lara Sauer

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 05 2007 at 9:23pm | IP Logged  

Welcome to all three of you....what lovely introductions!
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 05 2007 at 9:50pm | IP Logged  

Welcome, welcome! Ellen I'm a refuge too -- we moved here last summer and we LOVE it! It's sensational and tons of great Catholic HSers so you'll fit right in ...

welcome all of you newbies -- just jump right in and ask for advice, give some advice or just start a conversation ... we're VERY nice folks!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 20 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version