Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Introduce Yourself (2006) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Ouiz
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 11 2006 at 11:37am | IP Logged  

Hello everyone and thank you all so much for all the wonderful things you've taught me -- even though you didn't know it! I've been reading your posts for quite some time, but only today decided it was time to register and "officially" join.

My name is Kathy and I'm 39 yrs. old. I have been married to wonderful man (can't say enough good things about him!!) for almost 10 years. The Lord has blessed us so far with 6 kids ages 8 and under. (3 girls and 3 boys). I live in upstate South Carolina.

There are precious few Catholic homeschoolers in my parish (read: none), so I am eager to hear from like-minded women who love the Lord, the Faith, and are eager to pass that along to their children.

Thank you so much for this arena which allows us to get together like this!

God bless you all!
Kathy
Back to Top View Ouiz's Profile Search for other posts by Ouiz Visit Ouiz's Homepage

Cheryl M.
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 11 2006 at 6:42pm | IP Logged  

Hi All - My name is Cheryl - married to Joey for almost 21 years. We have three young people - Stephen 17, Michael 15, and Elizabeth 10. Our boys attend our local Catholic high school and Elizabeth will be homeschooled once again after me taking a year off last year (we homeschooled for 11 years prior to last year.) We live in south Louisiana and attend Holy Mass at old St. Patrick's on Camp St. in New Orleans. I love to sew, smock, hand embroider, garden (a bit) and cook. I've been reading here for a few days and am in awe of the love and support on this forum.   
Back to Top View Cheryl M.'s Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl M.

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 11 2006 at 7:05pm | IP Logged  

+JMJ+

Hi,
My name is Betsy. I have been married to my husband for 7 years and we have three beautiful boys 6, 4 and 1 so far.

An acquaintance piqued my interest in CM when my fist child was 2. I tucked that little gem of a conversation away until last year when I was actively defining my HSing philosophy. By the grace of the Holy Spirit, bunch of goggle searches and reading many books I have fallen in love with Real Learning! I am excited to be a part of a group that is so grounded in the faith and share many similar views in education.

My other interests include cooking via Nourishing Traditions, sewing, and handcrafting high quality Rosaries (I can honestly make a metal rosary that will with stand a two year old boy)

Up until this point I have enjoyed listening in on many conversations and I hope to become an active participant soon!
Betsy
Back to Top View Betsy's Profile Search for other posts by Betsy

Kat
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 12 2006 at 7:24am | IP Logged  

Hello,
I've been lurking on and off here for quite some time, and thought I should introduce myself in case I want to post in a forum.

My name is Kat. I live in Central Florida with my dh of 12 years, our almost 9yo son, one cat and one dog. Ds has never been to school unless you count half a year of preschool. We are older parents, and dh has an adult son from a previous marriage, whom he raised on his own.

I'm not sure if you'd call me a former Catholic or non-practicing Catholic. As an Irish-Italian American from NJ, I'm certainly a cradle Catholic! Anyway, I feel more comfortable among Catholic homeschoolers than among other types. I hope that's okay with you terrific ladies.

I love reading these forums, and hope to become somewhat active here.
Kat
Back to Top View Kat's Profile Search for other posts by Kat

CarterMama
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 14 2006 at 10:08pm | IP Logged  

Hi everybody! My name's Rebecca, and the mom of an adorable 10-month-old girl, Madison, whom I hope to homeschool one day. I want to learn as much as possible before getting started, so it's thrilling (and anxiety-relieving) to find this goldmine of like-minded Catholics!

My other interests are reading and writing; I'm a bibliophile and-- before becoming a SAHM-- a former newspaper reporter. I love vintage art, working on my website, and making craftsy stuff (necklaces, painted flowerpots, etc.) whenever I can squeeze it in. Which, with a baby to chase around, is now once in a blue moon.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself-- I look forward to chatting with all of you on the boards!

Have a great weekend!

Rebecca
Back to Top View CarterMama's Profile Search for other posts by CarterMama

BethHG
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 15 2006 at 9:11pm | IP Logged  

Hello! I have been lurking here for about a month now, and thought it was time to intorduce myself. My name is Beth--wife to Ray for 13 wonderful years, and mom of 4 beautiful boys (10,9,3 and 8 mos). We have been using Seton for the past year, and we are finding that isn't quite the right fit. This was our 5th year of homeschooling, but we did take off one year and sent the two oldest to ps (year before last).

I'm just trying to figure out what kind of learning is the best fit for our family. I have tried STAA,CHC, Seton, and of course, my own put together approach. I know I need some guidance, but would like some freedom as well. I am very interested in dictation,narration and copywork--it's not too late for a 9 and 10 year old to start doing this now,is it?

I did own Real Learning at one time, but when I thought we were no longer going to homeschool (that ps year), I gave it away or sold it. I am thinking that I really need to get it again.

I am really interested in getting to know some new approaches (for me anyway) and getting to know you ladies.

Beth
Back to Top View BethHG's Profile Search for other posts by BethHG

lovemusic
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 16 2006 at 6:41am | IP Logged  

Hi, I just found this forum and decided instead of lurking for months then saying something I would try jumping in this time. I have to get over this shyness sometime We have been homeschooling now for 8 years, my oldest is 13 and the youngest is 10 but I always want to say and think she is still 6. They grow up way to fast. We started hs when I was disturbed by the pulic school system and homeschooling started to pop up every place I looked, even on Oprah and I don't normally watch Oprah! After searching I felt lead by God that this is what we are to do and it also fit very well with other things that were happening in our life. Ok, try to wrap up now, we are going more of a classic direction, I would love to incorporate notebooking in, and we read a lot books instead of using text books. Our plans are to try homeschooling all the way through and I am thinking of starting to take some collage classes myself because dh's dr didn't give him a good report about going back to work (he had a transplant a year ago) and financially it is a struggle. So eventually I can go to work and he can be the homemaker. I hope to get to know all of you.

Trace
Back to Top View lovemusic's Profile Search for other posts by lovemusic

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 16 2006 at 1:46pm | IP Logged  

Hello Ladies -

I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Nancy (Hylabrook is the title of my husband's favorite Robert Frost poem). I am *very* old (52); I envy those of you who are still adding babies to your families. I have 6 children; five daughters (24, 22, 19, 14 and 10) and one son (17). The older girls are in college/grad school/newly married (variously). We are about to begin our 15th year homeschooling. The youngest three (the ones I'm still homeschooling) have never been to school.

We live in the Maryland suburbs of DC. Once upon a time I was a lawyer (that seems very like a fairy tale to me at this point in life). I am an Atrium catechist in our parish. This fall I will begin training for Level III (9-12 year olds). I am interested in gardening, trying/learning to knit, managing life in general (both in temporal and spiritual terms), and homeschooling.

I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks and count my daily visit with you all as a highlight of my day.

Thanks for letting me get to know you all.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

klbsmom
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 18 2006 at 11:40am | IP Logged  

Hi everyone -
I first found Theresa's blog Lapaz Farm when I was looking for ideas to do a Fairy unit with my dd. Theresa I fell in love with your blog it has so many neat ideas on it! One day when I was exploring her blog I was led to other lovely blogs and this forum. I think I've been on here exploring all the great ideas every day since then I am currently homeschooling my ds (6) and my dd (4). Last year I never thought we would find our niche until I was led to CM methods and montessori method. I'm hoping to spend a lot more time outside this year with my kids just exploring nature. I will also be using BFIAR and FIAR with my kids, supplementing in other areas or going off on rabbit trails.
I'll be honest with you I was raised Catholic and attended Catholic school up until high school, but I've been questioning my faith ever since college. Lately I started to notice that most of the blogs I fell in love with and I read daily for inspiration are run by Catholic homeschooling moms. I've made the decision that I need to bring that part of my life back for my sake and my children's sake. My son believes in God but I've realized I can't answer his many questions that are popping up until I get myself back in stride with my faith.   So after all that that is why I'm here

Looking forward to getting to know everyone - Tina
Back to Top View klbsmom's Profile Search for other posts by klbsmom

mamacrow
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 19 2006 at 4:01pm | IP Logged  

Hi! My name is Misti and I live with my family in sunny (and humid, right now) CA. My husband, Scott, and I homeschool our DC Nick, 9; Matt, 8; PJ, 5; and Gianna 3. We use Kolbe Academy because the program is fab and I need structure.

I love the fact my boys are all avid readers. They all sleep with flashlights so if the mood to read strikes they are prepared...on that note, buy stock in batteries...we go through a lot.

I think my biggest challenge with hsing is my daughter. I'm never quite sure how to integrate her...energy, yeah, energy into the hs.

Anyway, I loved Elizabeth's book and am intrigued by the CM method.
Back to Top View mamacrow's Profile Search for other posts by mamacrow

Joelle
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 19 2006 at 10:04pm | IP Logged  

Hello,

My name is Joelle and my husband & I have been blessed with 5 children: our oldest just turned 10 and our baby is almost 9 mos. Two boys, three girls. We have homeschooled since the beginning and am so glad to have come across this forum! This year has been particularly challenging (though I think I feel that way at the end of each year). I even had them visit this beautiful little Catholic school down the road for a day to "try it on," but God has just called us to homeschool and despite our struggles, the fruits are tremendous!

I am reading Real Learning and am inspired to know there are more effective (and fun) ways for my children to learn than checking off workbook pages on a list. Though I am (who am I kidding-WAS) a CPA, so that checklist gave me some comfort; however, my children were not excited to learn. Nor was I excited for them--except that every time we DID something or they became engaged in a really good story, we all became excited. So, thank you Elizabeth and thank you all for I have read a lot of your posts and they have helped me quite a bit. I will most definitely post a few questions and hope that I can offer something in return! May God Bless you all!

Joelle
Back to Top View Joelle's Profile Search for other posts by Joelle

momwats8
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 20 2006 at 3:58pm | IP Logged  

Hello - I am very excited to be here. One of my dearest and oldest friends showed me this site and helped me to see that a lot of my old friends from Michigan are here.

My name is Mary Watson. I have been marreid for 12 years to my husband Mike. We have 8 children - 7 boys and 1 girl. They are Austin - 14, Mikey 11 - , R.J. - 9, Benedict(Ben) - 71/2, Kolbe - 6, Ignatius(Nate) - 4, christian - 31/2, and Margaret(Maggie) - 91/2months. We are very blessed and have returned to homeschooling after 2 years off. God has been ever present in our return and we feel peaceful about our decision.

I am looking forward to getting to know all of you and getting caught up with old friends.

Mary Watson - Gulf Coast Florida

http://www.momwats8.blogspot.com
Back to Top View momwats8's Profile Search for other posts by momwats8 Visit momwats8's Homepage

ColleenC
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 22 2006 at 8:47pm | IP Logged  

Hi, I'd like to introduce myself. I'm a mother of five, 4-14, and I homeschool. I'm the secretary of our newly formed homeschooling group, "The Servants of the Divine Mercy". I've been homeschooling for 8 years and have read every book on homeschooling out there. I'm doing the best I can, but far from perfect, I'm one of those impatient mothers!!! I LOVE to read and my sister and I started a Ladies' Book Club in our rural area. It has been a huge success and we're always on the lookout for new books for our club.

My main interests are with this group are: spiritual helps for an impatient mother, book lists for my children and I, and help for my daughter (7.5), whom I think may be AHD (I hate to say those politically correct words!!!) as she is sooooo jumpy. I've taught three other children to read, but she is definitely trying my patience (not that there is MUCH of that to begin with). HELP.

In Jesus and His Divine Mercy,
Colleen
Back to Top View ColleenC's Profile Search for other posts by ColleenC

Kristin
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 25 2006 at 8:45am | IP Logged  

Sorry I didn't introduce myself sooner --- Just being a little shy, I guess!

My name is Kristin and I am a stay-at-home wife and mother to two precious little ones (DS just turned 3 and DD is 18 mos). In my "past life" I was a elementary/middle school teacher (mostly math but also reading, religion and social studies) at a local Catholic school. My husband and I did not plan to homeschool until after having DS --- it seemed like overnight we both woke up and it was clear to us that God was calling us to homeschool!

Early last summer I began looking into Montessori and in the fall we launched our homeschool, St. John Bosco Academy! In terms of when and how often we "did school" and used the School Cabinet (Montessori Practical Life and some Sensorial), it was a very flexible year but we both learned a lot and had a lot of fun doing it! Towards the end, DD even joined in on the fun.

I'm not sure how much time I'll really have to visit all the threads here (and associated blogs) but I know that I look forward to getting to know you all better as time goes on!
Back to Top View Kristin's Profile Search for other posts by Kristin

Txmom7
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 25 2006 at 5:12pm | IP Logged  

I hope this is right! New to the Boards and thankful for the lucidity and ease of the threads!
I'm Shelley from N.Fort Worth,TX ~out in the country~ and after moving twice, being blessed with #7 precious girl, investing in and bankrupting and cratering not one but 2 businesses, husband changing jobs twice (not the 2 that collapsed) my life, a year later, is approaching reasonable and sane and blessed. I had enough energy to pick up Real Learning again, and it was balm for my soul. "Ah, yes, THIS is why I homeschool!!" Bless you Elizabeth for your beautiful book. In the crisis of last year i gave up Charlotte Mason, thinking pre-packaged no brainer would surely be easier. WHY did I add that to our plate? A joyless dry boring *get-r--done* and that's all curriculum is supposed to help the atmosphere in our home and reduce stress levels? SIGH
Note to self IT DOESN"T WORK!!!! My children and I are elated at the thought of a GOOD school year...nature study and tea time and books and read alouds. I will not spend one penny till I get my philosophical, grounded soul back and Elizabeth's and others books will help.
This is too long, but feels good to say it, thanks for listening.
My oldest at home is dd,11, 6th grade, ds 9, dd6, dd4 and cutie patootie dd 5.5 mo. One in college and one in heaven.
Blessings and thanks,
Shelley
Back to Top View Txmom7's Profile Search for other posts by Txmom7

Jess
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 25 2006 at 6:54pm | IP Logged  

Hi, My name is Jess and I am the blessed wife of Gary and mother of Alani-9, Jensen-7, Tyson-5, Reese-3, and baby #5 due in early March. We just finished up our first year of homeschooling. I was told about this group by my friend KC and I also heard about it from the MO group. So I know a few people here. I am excited to learn from all the homeschoolers here and to get support from you too. My husband is in the Army and is currently gone at a school for a while and then he's off to Iraq. I am very glad to be here!

God bless,
Jess
+JMJ+

Back to Top View Jess's Profile Search for other posts by Jess

JuliaT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 25 2006 at 10:26pm | IP Logged  

I have come to the realization that I have been posting here for a month but I have never introduced myself. I'm sorry.

My husband and I are homeschooling three children (7,5,3) on the Canadian Prairies. We are grain and cattle farmers. We have known since before we were married that we would homeschool our children. I started out with Classical Education, then I discovered CM, Montessori and Real Learning. So I am trying to do a mish mosh of everything. I call it 'classically eclectic.' We will find out soon if this will all work.

I love homeschooling my children but I do find it isolating. There are few homeschoolers where I live and no one will acknowledge that we are doing it. I have very little support in real life. This is why I value message boards such as this one. These forums are my support group.

Julia
mom to dd(7), ds(5), dd(3)
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Juliainsk/
Back to Top View JuliaT's Profile Search for other posts by JuliaT

sailormom
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 30 2006 at 10:01pm | IP Logged  

Hi all,

I've posted a couple of times, but never introduced myself. I've been reading the posts here for ages though!

My name is Sharon, and I live in northern California with my awesome dh and our four kids. We've homeschooled for 5 years. My girls are 10 and 8, my son is 5, and my littlest guy is 6 months. We also have one angel in heaven. Our home is adjacent to a wetland conservation easement (a bird nesting sanctuary), so it's a REALLY cool place for nature study, which is one of our favorite things to do. My oldest is an avid birder. We spend most of our weekends sailing San Francisco Bay, and many weekdays sailing around the river in our little Coronado 15 (think _Swallows and Amazons_.)

Anyway, I really appreciate reading all your posts!   

Sharon
Back to Top View sailormom's Profile Search for other posts by sailormom

bubbelcat
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Aug 02 2006 at 5:58pm | IP Logged  

Hi. My name is Becky and I am the mom of three great children, Stephen (6), Elizabeth (5) and Catherine (2). We live in Northern Virginia.

I found my way to this website through many years of reading Elizabeth Foss' columns in the Arlington Catholic Herald. When we decided to homeschool I knew any resource she used would be a valuable one to investigate. I've been lurking for a few weeks and I am overwhelmed with the collective wisdom contained on these pages.

This is our first year as a homeschooling family and we are only homeschooling our son who has some learning differences that made his K year in Catholic school very discouraging. I am hoping that after spending a year getting his reading and visual-spatial issues on track we will be bringing his sister home next year, or maybe sooner!

I look forward to spending time with all of you as we begin our homeschooling journey.

Blessings,
Becky
Back to Top View bubbelcat's Profile Search for other posts by bubbelcat

dizzylaurel
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Aug 03 2006 at 9:30am | IP Logged  

Hello to all,

I joined the forum recently and wish I had far more time to visit...I usually get the computer AFTER everyone else! :O) I live in the Lehigh Valley PA with DH who is a computer programmer and two DD in grades 3 & 8....this is our fourth year of homeschooling and we love it! I also help my best friend out by having HER two DD here three days a week, so it's a busy place! One day a week I teach at a local HS learning center -- this year I'm doing 3 classes on art history/apprectiation (each year I alternate between music and art history), plus direct a chorus and homeschool theater group. I still manage to get out one night a week to accompany a community chorus and hang out with adults! In my "free" time, I enjoy scrapbooking, reading, blogging and swimming. Unfortunately, I don't have too much of that! Looking forward to getting on here whenver I can!

Hugs from PA!
Laurel

Plodding Toward Holiness
Back to Top View dizzylaurel's Profile Search for other posts by dizzylaurel Visit dizzylaurel's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version