Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: I'm Maryan and you are? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 04 2008 at 9:26pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I should be doing other things, but a few things I'm noticing:

1) There are quite a few Jennifers, just in this thread alone.

2) Since I live in VA, I noticed that there are a lot of people who have lived in Virginia at one time. Makes me wonder why -- is it the military posts, proximity to DC, or is it that it's just so wonderful in this Commonwealth?   

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 04 2008 at 9:27pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

Mary Chris -

I am totally taken up with backyard birds, too! Also the many deer (not suburban, fearless deer) who come into our yard. I recognize individuals and whenever they show themselves, my dc call me to the windows with, "Mom, your girls are out." This happens literally two or three times a day! Last spring and summer a family of foxes lived at the edge of the woods and our yard; they would brings the babies out to play in our yard every day and we accomplished nothing because we watched them through field glasses for hours on end. It doesn't take much to entertain me, apparently. Or, as my oldest dd says of me, "Happy are the easily amused." I'll accept that beatitude!

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

Anne McD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 9:28pm | IP Logged Quote Anne McD

This really is a fun thread-- how about a "how did you meet your husband" thread?

As for mine, Maryan, he was the thorn in your side! He sat in the back of class, and threw snappers with a couple of other guys as you left the room once? Apparently, no one would give you a straight answer as to who was responsible, so you made the whole class write the ten commandments ten times because obviously, someone was lying!    

James 8
Katie 6
William 3 1/2
Benedict Joseph 1
and baby on the way! 10/14
Back to Top View Anne McD's Profile Search for other posts by Anne McD

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 04 2008 at 9:28pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

PDyer wrote:
Mare wrote:
5) I'm a very quiet person who prefers to blend in the background in large settings.

1. Me too, but look out if you get me one-on-one.   

I'm the same way. I think that's why people won't talk to me, because they know I can't stop. I'm terrible on the phone...gab, gab, gab. I think some of it is nerves, though.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Anne McD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 9:37pm | IP Logged Quote Anne McD

JennGM wrote:
Since I live in VA, I noticed that there are a lot of people who have lived in Virginia at one time. Makes me wonder why -- is it the military posts, proximity to DC, or is it that it's just so wonderful in this Commonwealth?   

It was love    Met dh in college and I wasn't about to move back north (don't really care for Troy, anyway!) with him here! Funny thing, though, I remember the day my parents drove me to college. As we pulled up to the front gate my mother said, "I know you're going to stay here and not move back home." I couldn't believe or fathom the thought of leaving my parents like that, but here I am!

Oh, and my brother was stationed at Ft. Belvoir when I was in grade school, so I've always felt a connection with NOVA.

James 8
Katie 6
William 3 1/2
Benedict Joseph 1
and baby on the way! 10/14
Back to Top View Anne McD's Profile Search for other posts by Anne McD

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 04 2008 at 9:43pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Yes, oh yes.....leave it to the party-girl to.....well, START THE PARTY!!!!    

I have had much fun reading this thread throughout the day, as I have been SLOWLY moving and ROLLING around the house with my 37-week-preg-body! A nice distraction, indeed!

1.     I’m the oldest of 5, grew up in MN, went to college in WI and moved to Seattle after working for Ski-Doo (as in snowmobiles) for several years.

2.     I’m a cradle-Catholic, although I stopped going to church in college and early 20’s. Married at 29, and now have 4 (almost 5) daughters. Our household is the pink/female version of Maryan's....that's my connection to her!   

3.     My worst household chore is emptying the dishwasher. I’m so grateful that my dds are finally old enough to do this now!

4.     I went on a month-long-bike-trip to Ethiopia and Eritrea in my 20's, and now, like MarilynW, I'm lucky if I make it to the grocery store. Instead of getting excited about biking in Africa, I'm thrilled when my wool nursing pads arrive in the mail! . Stop laughing, Jennifer (Mackfam).    

5.     I love gourmet cheese. Give me cheese over chocolate any day!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 9:46pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

I just got around to reading this thread and it's such fun.

trish wrote:
Hi I'm Trish...
1.Married to my dh Les for 19 years on April 11.

Hey! that's my b-day.

rtlmom wrote:

1. I have lived in the same state my entire life.
4. I drink waaaaay too much coffee.

Me too!

insegnante wrote:
5. I have a hard time writing short posts

Me too!

How many is that? I can't count. Here's mine:

1) I have an older brother. Always wanted a sister.
2) I'm left-handed as are my youngest three children.
3) For some reason, online people think I am a blond. I'm not. I'm a dark-haired Cajun girl.
4) When I answer the phone people ask to talk to my mother. Every. Single. Time!
5) Can't think of anything else other than I'm cradle Catholic born from a long-line of Catholic French ancestors.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

happymama
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 04 2008 at 10:03pm | IP Logged Quote happymama

Forgot to add my own Maryan connection - my sister married one of her bil's... We met in person at their wedding.

I also used to live close to LisaR, who introduced me to the concept of "attachment parenting" - my mother FLIPPED OUT when I told her we had brought our 8 month old into bed with us. :)

Back to Top View happymama's Profile Search for other posts by happymama

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 10:07pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Patty I'm with you about Maryan's height...I was just at the Dr's for an appt and they measured me at 5'7" and 3/4"...and I look up to Maryan more than 1/4"!

And Cay...I get the "can I talk to your Mother?" when I answer the phone as well. When I say "I am the mother" for some reason I try to deepen my voice, then I know they must think I'm a kid lying! But since they are usually just trying to get money out of me...I don't really care

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 10:26pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

My turn (late as usual )

Hi I am Natalia and here are my facts:

1. I was born and raised in the Dominican Republic.Now I live in LA.

2. I won a Fulbright scholarship to come to get a master's degree in the U.S. Met my dh at daily mass.
3. Someday I would like to take a photography class, an American Literature class, a drawing class and some kind of theology. All of these with no papers to write and no exams to take.
4. I am a cradle Catholic who is charismatic, orthodox and belong to a Covenant Community.
5. I absolutely love books.
6. I have three "first names" Natalia Maria Victoria.
7. Even though I think I come across serious in my posts, I laugh easily.

Natalia
Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 10:48pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Cay and Kacky: I get the "Can I talk to your mother" thing on the phone all the time, too. I just tell them, "Ok, but she doesn't live here. You'll have to call her house." Gets them every time!

Patty: Maryan towers above me. I cannot even begin to guess how tall she is!LOL!

And Natalia, I have three words for you:The Teaching Companyall the lecture with none of the tests and papers! Woo Hoo!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 04 2008 at 11:05pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Jenn Sal wrote:
Angie Mc wrote:
I just emailed my sister, who is a member here...

Angie.....I got paranoid and had to stop folding to quickly do this before you did!!! ...

3. Way back I looked like a cheerleader, but refused to be one, then I married one.

Oh Jennifer ! That's priceless...priceless! Did you notice that happymama is married to a choleric engineer, too?

Jenn Sal wrote:

5. I love my sister more than words can say!!!! But, you all knew that didn't you?

Hey, I do too! What a coincidence !

Love,    

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

MaryMary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 11:13pm | IP Logged Quote MaryMary

Maryan, I just love you! And if I ever meet you IRL, I will be sure to bring copious amounts of Tim Horton's coffee from Canada!!!

O.k....so here's my five...
1) My parents immigrated from Italy to Ontario before I was born. All of my extended family is still in Italy. As Italians we do everything loudly, affectionately, and with cheese. On really nice tablecloths. While serving espresso..

2) I have never seen any part of Canada outside of Ontario. On the other hand, I have visited many States in the U.S. and even lived and worked as a primary school teacher under the Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist in MI. I still have the 'Pledge of Allegiance' memorized...

3) My husband was discerning a vocation to the priesthood when we met....I foiled those plans!!!   

4) I am a melancholic/choleric, INFP personality type!

5) I have unhealthy attachments to strong coffee, cheese, chocolate, bedding and linens (see #1)

Thanks for the laughs!!!

Back to Top View MaryMary's Profile Search for other posts by MaryMary

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 04 2008 at 11:38pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

SuzanneG wrote:
Stop laughing, Jennifer (Mackfam).    

I can't!!!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2008 at 1:19am | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

This is a fun thread!

Here's mine:

1. I can tie a shoe with one hand.

2. As a child, my parents and I were caught in a water spout on Lake Erie while sailing.

3. I have collected beach glass for many years.

4. I minored in poetry and photography in college.

5. I drink way too much of this every day.

Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2008 at 1:49am | IP Logged Quote ALmom

OK, I should be in bed or finishing up with other stuff but I'm seriously addicted to this board and could not resist adding my own 5 (probably I'll go over, I'm such a blabber when writing). This has been so much fun to read and quite interesting.

1)have a wonderful dh of 23 years and luckily I was able to cover up my first question -Where are you from? I thought he was Vietnamese and wanted to get to talk and maybe hear about wartime experiences. I was an avid history, current events follower way back when. My gift of gab and intuition that somehow I'd hit a sore point meant he asked me out - Luckily he did not judge me on my tennis playing ability. And no, he is not Vietnamese and had never lived outside DC/Philadelphia before taking a job with fear and trembling in AL. He is also one of the reasons I didn't go church hopping since he told me that if you believed in God, the Catholic church is the only one that made any sense. Bless him, even before he had any exposure or knowledge of anything Christian, he led us exactly right (I was the airhead). He's been a Catholic now for 11 years. I was cradle Catholic but wanted to become Baptist from about 6th grade. It is a long, humorous story how I managed to not ever actually leave the church but I'll spare you that much blab.

2)Lived most of my life on an army base in the Marshall Islands even though my dad was not military. Grew up listening to Armed Forces Radio and Television network (except no one had TV on island) and trying to pick up radio channels around the world (Annie we often got Australian radio as that was one of the closest places to us). I grew up eating seaweed, dried plums, shashimi(raw shark in particular),yams, breadfruit, taro and general oriental style food. I even had raw pork by accident. Fond memories of hula, learning Trukese, Ponapean, Marshalese and Kusain songs, going to Luahs and sliding down propellors of sunken ships that had been used for atomic testing (we didn't know about the dangers then), collecting old Japanese glass fishing floats, snorkling and our aquarium with its very beautiful tropical fish and live shells. We stomped on Portugeese Man of War along the beach and had to forgo swimming at times due to jellyfish invasions. Experienced one typhoon and watched Soviet spy ships hanging around just inside international waters - and watched missles streaking across the sky during missle testing (before the days of detente and SALT). Memorized the customs "You are now entering the United States of America.." since we heard it every year in the military airport in Hawaii - also recall the 10 hour flight with poor Air Force personnel serving as stewards on some of these flights and handing out brown bags with disgusting chocolate candy bars. We did lots of dashing through airports - flying straight for close to 24 hours each year - my parents and all 5 of us.

3) Was a real dare devil before children - walked from island to island at low tide and almost got caught in the ocean as the tide came in, played chicken with the waves crashing after an underwater volcano erupted, tried to fish a bag out of the shark pit with a stick -leaning way over, scared dh half to death going real close to the edge of a waterfall to look over, etc. Guess my guardian angel was busy due to my stupidity.

4)Dreamed of being a professional student and loved research papers. Liked everything - except science (maybe it was the Ralph Nader tapes in 8th grade) and tried to cram it all in during my 4 years of college and in all my reading. Now I'm getting to live my dream by homeschooling our 6 and now my nephew. However, being studious and generally fairly serious, no one ever suspected me or my roommate of our college pranks - kidnapping stuffed teddy bears while staying up to all hours cutting letters out of magazines to write ransom notes, short sheeting beds, pennying people in dorms, and creating signs jesting about Hurricane Frederick (we snuck out after the storm was over and posted signs around campus, things like "Lumberjack training camp, landscaping by Mr. Fred". Rumor had it that the Pres. of the college was none to happy and all our signs made the paper so we kept real mum about the whole thing. Pretty juvenile.

4 Love books and books and books of all kinds. Am a detail freak and a compulsive planner. I always have tons of ideas, just not great on the implementation

5 Have a huge stubborn streak, impatient, and cannot stand missing things - even a single Hi Ho Cherio cherry from a $1 game we picked up at a used sale. Trying to break my habit of stopping all real work (school and otherwise) for us to hunt for the missing piece until it is found. I'm also known to belt out one or two liners from an old song. Something the family says triggers the connection and I croak the line out even though I am only fit to sing in the shower.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 05 2008 at 2:03am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

How fun...I can't believe all the random things I don't have in common with many IRL people.

Chocolate milk addictions (this pregnancy, learned to do it in a blender with raw milk, a banana, and unsweetened cocoa for less guilt), theater aspirations (music major, theater minor, lots of musicals and tons of hours sewing in the costume shop after practice), and something I can no longer remember...

oh yeah, I can't believe someone else flew to their orthodontist appointments in a helicopter!!

Just kidding. I didn't do that, but I am impressed.

1)My husband is a Renaissance man and happens to be a good carpenter on the side. So, when I covet after things in the Pottery Barn Kids catalog, he just builds it for me. How cool is that?

2)I'm a really good cook. Just messy.

3)My husband works for (and I did) an educational non-profit, ISI, with a lot of super intellectuals, but we aren't all that intellectual ourselves, lol. We joke that they write about conservative thought, and we live it. They like us anyway. My husband fixes their toilets.

4)I just got my haircut for the first time in a year. My husband really likes it.

5)I live crunchy, but I don't look crunchy. We're more Brooks Brothers crunchy; though, I do wear Birks ALL summer.   

Bonus: In case you couldn't figure it out, I'm super in love with my husband and brag about him a lot.

SOrry if I'm a little punchy, its late (early?) and I'm up with pregnancy insomnia.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2008 at 5:44am | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

Theresa, Cay, and Kacky: I hear the same "Can I speak with your mother?" when I answer the phone. Theresa, I love your response. But I have noticed since we moved over here, I don't hear that as often. And when I call the green grocer or the butcher, they know it is me! Must be that Texas accent!

What is a choleric engineer? I am married to an engineer who is always an engineer in every event in our lives. Can someone explain.

And Jenn, I would love to have a conversation with you, but the one opportunity that I had I was so nervous! I walked away feeling like a fool thinking of all the things that I should have said!

And Mary, I share in all those unhealthy attachments ... only I am of German descent. Can anyone explain that to me?

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2008 at 5:50am | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

CrunchyMom wrote:

5)I live crunchy, but I don't look crunchy. We're more Brooks Brothers crunchy; though, I do wear Birks ALL summer.   

That is so me! I'm in a crunch moms playgroup here and I'm the only one who dresses nicely!

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

Donna
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2008 at 6:33am | IP Logged Quote Donna

Tonya wrote:
Hello. My name is Tonya and I have been lurking on this board for about a week.

! So glad to "see" you here!

Five things about myself....

1.My husband, Keven, and I met when we were seven years old in second grade. He loves telling the story of the day I joined the class in mid-February after my father’s relocation, and recalls every detail of the dress I was wearing. He says it was love at first sight .

2.Nature is my life. I long for the outdoors.

3.The first time I skied, I didn’t see the need for lessons. I rode the lift to the top, jumped off and started down the hill not knowing how to stop. I skied across a ditch and into the parking lot hitting a car.   People came running from all directions to see if I survived!

4.I hate, hate, hate to fly, though as a child I would fly in a friend of the family’s private plane without hesitation.

5.I love music! In the 70’s U2 became my favorite band, and still is today.

Jacob, Sam, and Regina with God
Grandbabies Leigha and Elsie

Moments Like These

Back to Top View Donna's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Visit Donna's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 16 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version