Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: I'm Maryan and you are? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
rtlmom
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 04 2008 at 2:34pm | IP Logged Quote rtlmom

Yes, the Braves have had a rought go of it this week! Dh has not been happy with such a poor start to the season!
Back to Top View rtlmom's Profile Search for other posts by rtlmom

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 2:37pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

hylabrook wrote:
What IS your name? Mary-Ann or Marian (I mean, how do you pronounce it)?

Nancy it's Mary-Ann. I've gotten both... and due to the fact that my maiden name is "Lee" -- I've also gotten telemarketers asking for Mar yon Lee with a Chinese accent. That made me laugh. Now... they butcher my married name!!

And I totally understand the need to pronounce correctly. I had to ask Theresa of LaPaz Home Learning how to pronounce LaPaz!!

ETA: It's spelled that way after my mother's Catholic high school year book. She liked the twist. I've had to spell and then pronounce my name for everyone.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

kristina
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 2:49pm | IP Logged Quote kristina

Hi Everyone,

These have been really fun to read.

1. I was adopted at age nine.

2. My husband is 19 hours younger than me.

3. I became Catholic on Easter Vigil 1997.

4. When I read books by British authors, I use a pathetic British accent. Our children make fun of me, but I do it anyway. We're reading Lauren Child's Clarice Bean books right now.

5. I have lived in California, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Maryland. We have been in NH since 1996.

Blessings,

yesterthoughts
Back to Top View kristina's Profile Search for other posts by kristina

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 3:08pm | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

You ladies are just wonderful!
I'll see what I can come up with....

1. cradle catholic, oldest of 6, 5'11" tall and former homecoming queen

2. I hitchhiked through Israel with a girlfriend when I was 20 years old. (when I think back to this I think I must have been mentally ill!)

3. I have seen 3 Popes in real life. Pope Paul VI - when I was 15 in Rome, Pope John Paul II in Miami in '86 or '87, and Pope Benedikt when he was Cardinal Ratzinger in 1993 after our honeymoon on the feast of the Assumption of Mary. He even gave us a blessing   

4. I was flown regularly to my orthodonist appointments in my dad's company helicopter in southern Illinois and I never thought it was strange to do so.

5. My german dh is a teacher for English and Religion and is a wonderful father. I am so thankful!

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 3:18pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

Wow! All the fun I'v been missing! This is what happens when you get on a plane and fly across the country.

I think I'm pretty boring but if you really want to know....

1. I'm the oldest of 7 children, 2 girls then 5 boys, my dad was in the Navy so we moved around a lot, California, Virginia, Hawaii and Korea. Only 3 states, but we moved around the states a lot.

2. My dh and I have 3 wedding anniversaries, Justice of the Peace, then we were married by a Navy Chaplain, finally, we have our marriage blessed. We have been married 16 years. My dh is from Buffalo, we know about Tom Horton's.

3. For some crazy reason, I allow my children to have pets. Right now we have 1 dog, 2 cats and some fish. My children each have an aquarium in their room. Unfortunately, the fish are dying off at a quick rate.

4. I love to think about cooking, but hate the actual cooking part. Well I love to cook, but not at 7pm which is when we get home from activities most nights. I like to craft, you should see my stamp collection, yarn collection, scrapbooking collection....this year I really am going to use those collections.

5. I love being out in nature. I love the beach, mountains, lakes...you name it. My dd makes fun of my affection for birds in our yard. She told someone the other day I jumped up and down at a goldfinch sighting.

I know Maryan IRL. I was lucky to work on a big, sucessful project with her.

Now stop having so much fun without me, I'm suppose to be on vacation in San Diego.

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 3:30pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

mommiepappa wrote:
There was no way I was converting (or so I told the priest when we married).
Kathee

I read up on Catholocism after I married my dh so I could convert him to evangelical christianity. Must say that I, too, was surprised by truth! I entered the church 4 years ago.

Welcome to 4Real!
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 3:36pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

Mary Chris wrote:
My dd makes fun of my affection for birds in our yard. She told someone the other day I jumped up and down at a goldfinch sighting.

That's too funny, Mary Chris. (And, I might add, I am waiting for the american goldfinches to migrate up my way, but my nyjer feeder just sits there lonely and full... so I'm jealous) My daughter says I have a "new bird mommy squeal." We saw a red tailed hawk the other day and I think my squeal hit three octaves higher than normal.
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

mom3aut1not
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 3:38pm | IP Logged Quote mom3aut1not

Well, here are my five

1) I am a former PhD student in math and my dh is a mathematician. It's not surprising that math education is an interest of mine.

2) I am not a good housekeeper although I am struggling to do better.

3) I joined a Moms' Bible study where we brought the kids along about twenty-rive years ago in Michigan. We've lived in Maryland for twenty-two years, but most of those women from that Bible study are still good friends of mine.

4) I have an autistic brother and three kids on the spectrum as well as one kid not on the spectrum. Three other people are suspected of being on the spectrum as well.

5) My dh's good example wound up bringing me into the Church 26 years ago. How many male graduate students are committed to chaste behavior?

In Christ,
Deborah

Back to Top View mom3aut1not's Profile Search for other posts by mom3aut1not

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 3:41pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

Fun! Here are my five ...

1. I am English, and live just three miles from the village where my dad's family have lived since at least the 16th century. My dad was an only child, so I now only have distant cousins there - nobody I keep in touch with at all.

2. I grew up Methodist, lapsed into a vague atheism-agnosticism as a teen, and converted to Catholicism in 1986.

3. I play an odd selection of musical instruments, with varying degrees of skill - violin, viola, piano, organ, flute, guitar and baritone horn (similar to euphonium). I never get particularly good at anything because I get the urge to learn something new. I would love a harp ...

4. I once flew in a hot air balloon.

5. I also long to live near the sea, and we are planning to make that a reality when my dh retires. As it is, we are in just about the most landlocked area of the UK. It is a whole 2 hour drive to the coast

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 3:42pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

Maryan wrote:
You're not late, Celeste!! And besides... Patty's (PDyer) going to redo hers later tonight. You're a funny, Patty.

I wish I had known about these boards as I was preparing to homeschool. And... I've never been to CA. I've never been west of Denver (saw the Pope there!) Judging by climate only, I think I would madly fall in love with San Diego and never come back. Who needs seasons?? I would never get sick of sunny and warm. (Okay not that all of CA is San Diego...)

I started lurking here even before we had our first child--these boards opened up the whole arena of homeschooling to me, so thank you all so much! I would never have thought to leave grad school and choose this lifestyle if it weren't for the witness of all of you.

I'm in the SF Bay Area, so not San Diego, but we love love love the weather here. After so many years in CA, I'm not even sure I could survive in a snowy climate! (I never even *saw* snow until I was in high school! )

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

insegnante
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 3:43pm | IP Logged Quote insegnante

Maryan wrote:
hylabrook wrote:
What IS your name? Mary-Ann or Marian (I mean, how do you pronounce it)?

Nancy it's Mary-Ann.   

ETA: It's spelled that way after my mother's Catholic high school year book. She liked the twist. I've had to spell and then pronounce my name for everyone.

Oh, I had simply assumed it was pronounced Marian. Good to know.

The funny thing is -- I may as well make this #1 on my list -- I went from a very rare 8-letter, 4-syllable surname of Sephardic Jewish origin that needed constant spelling and pronunciation help... to a common one-syllable 3-letter Anglo-Saxon surname that I still automatically spell for people, because there are two other common spellings for it At least with my first name it's just "with an h" and doesn't matter as much if it's misspelled.

2. I grew up in Brooklyn, NY and now live in the Northern Virginia suburbs of DC.

3. My husband is self-employed and works out of our home though also frequently goes to client locations.

4. I was 13.5 and 11 years younger than my siblings (one now deceased.) We had 28 first cousins, who ranged from 26 to 7 years older than I am, so I'm the "baby" of an entire generation of my family on both sides. My parents were both the sixth but not last child born in their families.

5. I have a hard time writing short posts

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 3:57pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Whew! I just read the whole thread in one sitting! Will there be a quiz on this?
I just did a similar meme on my blog, so let me try to think of some more things.

1. I am a cradle Catholic, although there were certainly times I didn't live up to it. Dh is a 10 yr convert.

2. I met my dh when I was a single mom in nursing school. I was looking for a doctor to marry and instead found a lowly enlisted guy in the Navy who was moonlighting as a bouncer at a bar I went to while at a nursing convention! We were married within 6 months of meeting! Boy, did I make the right choice.

3. We have two wedding anniversaries. July 28, 1995 and July 27, 1996. One Justice of the Peace, the other Catholic. We wanted to have the same anniversary, but 1996 was leap year, so our Catholic wedding would have had to be on a Sunday and my mom didn't like that idea.

4. I used to be a political junky, a card-carrying Ditto-head! Now I just don't have time. I miss it.

5. I don't like coffee and I can't handle alcohol. I have a hang-over before I finish my first glass of wine. Too bad for me, because I love Margaritas!

Oh yeah, I did the pom-pom thing too. We called it Drill Team.

And I can play the Maryan game, too. I have two connections, both rather distant, but...
Maryan's bil is my parents' pastor
I know Maryan's sil, Erin, through her sister Monica. And a dear friend of mine bought Erin's house.
Small world, huh?

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 04 2008 at 4:01pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

teachingmyown wrote:
And I can play the Maryan game, too. I have two connections, both rather distant, but...
Maryan's bil is my parents' pastor
I know Maryan's sil, Erin, through her sister Monica. And a dear friend of mine bought Erin's house.
Small world, huh?

And my cousins sold it to Erin's family! My parents live in that same neighborhood!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 4:01pm | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

Okay, here goes ...

1. My dh and my family recently relocated from the Heartland of the United States to Wales (yes, it is part of the United Kingdom).

2. I have a degree in English Literature, so I have always had a secret desire to live in England. We are right next door, not to far from Kathryn. It is absolutely lovely here! The beach is a 10 minute walk from our home.

3. I am a convert to Catholicism when I was 19. I always loved the Church, but my parents would not let me join any church until I was an adult. I found the Church to be stable and secure at a difficult time in my life ... and it has always been there since.

4. Unlike Nancy, I had two professions before I became a homeschooling mom. I love it and would not trade it for the world.

5. I met my dh in London on a trip that I thought I would not be able to make. I am glad that I went. It was the result of a postcard from Kew Gardens from a dear friend. The rest is history.

You ladies have such interesting stories to tell. Cannot wait to hear more.

msclavel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 4:02pm | IP Logged Quote msclavel

Well, I confuse everyone with my name...

Born Maria Isabel, but mother really wanted a Marisa, so everyone in my family, growing up (Elizabeth knows me as Marisa), husband call me that except when I joined my first homeschool group I put down Maria on the roster because I had to use my legal name and I just never "taught" them to call me Marisa instead...so, in the homeschool world and at my parish I am Maria...which annoys my husband and makes my family and long-time friends laugh.
Back to Top View msclavel's Profile Search for other posts by msclavel

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 4:11pm | IP Logged Quote LisaR

msclavel wrote:
Well, I confuse everyone with my name...

Born Maria Isabel, but mother really wanted a Marisa, so everyone in my family, growing up (Elizabeth knows me as Marisa),

Marisa = Maria Isabel, though, right?? that is so pretty putting Mary and Elizabeth into one.
I LOVE all of the Mary derivatives. Our Maria is rarely "just" Maria to us. we call her Marika (little mary), Mia, Maria Stella (our star) , Mari, Mia, MiMi, or GiGi (Gianna is her middle name).
Oldest ds calls her Maria Caterina (not sure why!!)

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 4:15pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

OT... since we are talking about "nicknames" for Mary, my oldest daughter's middle name is Mai which is a Welsh form of Mary. We pronounce it "my" but the Welsh actually put a little something onto the end of it to make it sound much prettier.

Back to the regularly scheduled conversation...

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

Wendy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 4:21pm | IP Logged Quote Wendy

Thanks for starting this thread, Maryan, these have been so much fun to read! I had no idea Maria P. did voiceover work, or that Nancy is a travel writer...

My 5 things are nowhere near as exciting...

1. Dh and I met in college (although we didn't start dating until 6 weeks before he graduated) and got married two weeks after *I* graduated (just like Matilda! ). Our 19th anniversary is next month.

2. I inherited my mom's deep voice and have occasionally been called "sir" on the phone. Dh likes it, though.

3. I had really straight, blonde hair until I had my first baby. Now my hair is definitely brown, and wavy. And I'm still surprised -- 14 years later -- when I look in the mirror and see a brunette.

4. I am a Marine Corps brat and lived in Virginia, Florida, Mississippi, Germany (when it was West Germany), and Hawaii growing up. I came back to Virginia for college and didn't leave until last year, when we moved to Maryland. I had no idea I'd miss Virginia so much, and I'm ecstatic that we're moving back in a few months!    

5. I would love to be a free spirit, go-with-the-flow kind of person, but I need lists and calendars and schedules or my head explodes.

Momma to Grace, Sam, Ben, Maggie, Mary Cate, and Jamie
Back to Top View Wendy's Profile Search for other posts by Wendy

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 4:23pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

PDyer wrote:
I've decided my five things are the most boring five things on the planet, so I'm going to have a do-over later tonight.   

Me too, Patty. As soon as I can stop lamenting...

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 4:31pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

I think all the boring people are in good company!

I don't have anything that can beat KC's skydiving or this:

St. Ann wrote:
I was flown regularly to my orthodonist appointments in my dad's company helicopter in southern Illinois and I never thought it was strange to do so.

And Mary Chris -- the first thing that I thought when I started this thread: "Oh no! MC is in the air!"

And Molly... I didn't know that you knew Monica or that your folks had Father for a pastor. But I knew the history of the house starting with Jenn's aunt!

I love women with deep voices, Wendy. They're so rich!

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

<< Prev Page of 16 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version