Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: I'm Maryan and you are? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 04 2008 at 7:57am | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

This is really fun and interesting!

1. I'm one of 6 kids. Our professions are:
    1.teacher (but housewife now)
    2.teacher (philosophy professor at UNC Chapel Hill)
    3.teacher (math tutor at Thomas Aquinas College)
    4.teacher (me)
    5.teacher/priest (dean of all boys boarding highschool in CA)
   6.student

2. Jenn GM is the first forum friend I met. I suggested meeting at a Cracker Barrel not realizing her son had severe food allergies. Then I offered to pay for lunch, had my credit card declined, had no cash, and had to ask her to pay. She was very gracious.

3. I was a religion major in college, specifically in Judaic studies. For summer school one year I worked on an archaeological dig in Sepphoris, Israel (about 5 miles from Nazareth).

4. Rachel is my first name. May is my last name. For some reason, people find this confusing.

5. In college I used to say that I wanted 14 kids. I sometimes worry that God was listening.

Bonus info: I'm 40 weeks 5 days pregnant and am not in labor.

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 8:09am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Wow Rachel! 40+5! :) I didn't realize that! Praying for ya!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 8:16am | IP Logged Quote joann10

I will join the get-together..

1. I am one of five kids and my husband is one of nine kids.

2. We are both cradle Catholics-with all our siblings active in the Faith.

3. We have 10 children ages 2-21. My husband didn't think we had a lot of kids until we reached 10- one more than he grew up with.

4. I have homeschooled all the children until they reached 7th grade and then they go to a wonderful private Catholic school which is faithful to the Magisterium.

5. This year I only have a 2nd grader, kindergartener, and a ds-3 and dd-2 at home. This is the fewest kids I have ever had at home while we were schooling and it is kind of like a vacation. Mostly we have fun--day after day.

I am having a wonderful time hearing about all the wonderful ladies here.
Back to Top View joann10's Profile Search for other posts by joann10

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 8:17am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Welcome to Tonya!! Glad you chimed in!

And it's funny what you can learn from 5 facts!!

Like... Marilyn is a rule breaker - with +5 facts, KC is a walking contradiction: she'll throw her body out a flying plane... but don't get her near the possibility of lava!

And it's funny to find out ages! I forget that I married at 30, so MANY of you ladies with 6 or more kids (like Erin) are younger than me! Speaking of which:

Rachel May wrote:
Bonus info: I'm 40 weeks 5 days pregnant and am not in labor.

Maybe reverse pschology is all you need - rub your tummy and tell the pumpkin he can stay inside all he/she wants. If you go into labor soon, know that you're in trouble for the teenage years.   

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 8:20am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Ooooo, or Rachel, you can try the ice cream displacement of induction.....eat so much ice cream that is absolutely no more room for baby!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 8:28am | IP Logged Quote Matilda

Lisbet wrote:
Ooooo, or Rachel, you can try the ice cream displacement of induction.....eat so much ice cream that is absolutely no more room for baby!

I love it! As someone who has routinely gone 40 weeks + 9 days with each of my four and has tried everything from a castor oil root beer float with a peanut butter cup chaser to riding over train tracks in my husband's tiny little commuter car (both worked!) I am so gonna try this idea if God ever blesses us with another one!!!

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 8:33am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

joann10 wrote:
This year I only have a 2nd grader, kindergartener, and a ds-3 and dd-2 at home. This is the fewest kids I have ever had at home while we were schooling and it is kind of like a vacation. Mostly we have fun--day after day.

Joann I love checking your blog because it looks like you're having fun -- day after day.      Really educational fun, I might add. Great inspiration!

happymama
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 04 2008 at 8:35am | IP Logged Quote happymama

Hmmm... 5 facts, do they have to be interesting?

1. SAHM to 3 kids plus one on the way
2. Married to a choleric engineer. (I get extra graces to handle that!)
3. My brother is a priest in Nebraska, and I'm the only girl who has ever been allowed to take philosophy classes with the seminarians there... because the priests I talked to couldn't answer my philosophical problems that were inflicted by the Jesuit college I attended.
4. I attended medical school for 3 weeks before I realized that I'd rather be a SAHM. Haven't regretted it for a second.
5. I love coffee, hiking, and being a mom!
Back to Top View happymama's Profile Search for other posts by happymama

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 9:13am | IP Logged Quote amyable

Finally have a minute to do this...and I can't think of anything!

1. I'm fast approaching 40, married 14 years next month to my favorite person in the world, with 4 girls (10, 8, 5, almost 3) and little boy (6 months).

2. I'm NOT a risk taker! I almost passed out reading about jumping out of planes up there Or maybe that's my fear of heights. That being said, I do things most of my family and former friends couldn't dream of doing (and I'm sure you all understand this) - homeschool, cook for 5 kids with different food allergies, homeschool, have plastic surgery on my face w/o being put under , have five kids PERIOD (the surgeon joked that I had 5 kids and homeschooled them, surgery while awake was nothing ), homeschool...

3. I'm a cradle Catholic but my family wasn't really religious (Catholicism was for Sundays and Holy Days). I fell away in my 20's for the most part and returned after learning all about Church history, etc.

4. If I could do anything after my kids leave the nest, I would like to own some sort of specialized library - small enough that I would be owner/operator, big enough that people would come use it. That would satisfy my need for books and to be helpful, and my desires to start my own business, be my own boss, and be knowledgeable about things. I've often thought about some kind of homeschooling store, which would be similar.

5. Hmmmm....I think about food all the time?

It's been fun reading everyone's posts!

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 9:37am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

MaryM wrote:
I once feared that our archbishop might try to get a restraining order against me. (Maryan said to keep these short, so I cannot elaborate.)

Mary, I can't picture you doing anything that would require a restraining order!! But you've piqued my curiousity...

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 04 2008 at 9:39am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

What a happy thread! I want to comment on all of your posts but then I won't get anything done today! Thanks for making me smile, LOL, and completely nod in agreement to many similarities! And I had some nagging questions answered. I've been meaning to ask Guitarnan what kind of writing she did, and now I know!

As I can never be brief watch me sneak in a few extras like Nancy....

1) I'm the oldest of 7 children, and I have 4 sisters. I'm taller than Stefoodie, but not by much. I'm 5'2". And I'm one of the tallest sisters in my family (Fuzzy is my sister and she's the same height).

2) I've been interested in living the liturgical year ever since I was very young. Over the years I've enjoyed actually had jobs working on this love.http://www.catholicculture.org/liturgicalyear/ and EWTN liturgical year books online is basically my personal library in digital form.

3) Music is my other love, although I'm rusty now. I was the music director for Seton's first musical, "Fiddler on the Roof", and then later worked with Maryan (and Fuzzy my sister) on another one. I used to play the organ, and at one time I played it in a cage under the portable basketball hoop.

4) It took me 11 years to finish my college degree. After dragging along with a music major and working at the community college I switched majors to history and graduated from Franciscan University of Steubenville at the old age of 30.

5) I met my husband online. He moved from Pittsburgh to be near me. I got married at age 33. I had trouble conceiving, so both my sons (age 4 and 3 months) are truly miracles of conception. Married life with children is ALL that I hoped it would be, and more!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 9:53am | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

Hmmmmm.....

1. I am the oldest of three children and two of us were born on the base of a refinery in Punta Cardon, Venezuela, in the same year (1968) and we're from the same family - my birthday is Jan and her's is November.

2. I do voiceover work and just last week sang the "Star Spangled Banner" for my dson's opening day ceremonies for baseball. Tomorrow, I am singing it for my girls' softball league's opening ceremonies!

3. I like puns and playing with words.

4. Coffee is my friend. So are tea, chocolate, mocha almond fudge ice cream, sports, gardening and flowers.

5. I would love to live near the ocean and hear the waves crash daily.

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

msclavel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 10:26am | IP Logged Quote msclavel

Here goes

1. I am Peruvian-Cuban-American if you ask my dad....Cuban-Peruvian-American if you ask my mom.

2. If its the right time of day, I watch Charmed on TNT while I fold laundry in my room. Its my husband's fault. Sadly I think I've watched every single episode. But, I have NEVER watched Survivor or American Idol or Lost.

3. I love following politics...husband hates politics. I started watching C-span when Iran-Contra hearings were going on...I think I was in 6th grade...thats what I rushed home to watch after school.

4. I think I'm actually a Democrat. Albeit a rabidly pro-life, socially conservative (on most issues)...nevertheless...I admit it...I'm a Democrat.

5. If I could I would eat Chinese/Japanese/any Asian cuisine every single day.
Back to Top View msclavel's Profile Search for other posts by msclavel

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 10:47am | IP Logged Quote stacykay

Everyone has such interesting things to write! I need to talk to Donna about vegetarian foods and commiserate with Patty on long CPA hours.

Here are five things about me:

1. I am a convert from Episcopal, joining the Church at the Easter Vigil, 1983 (I was still in college.)
2. I have lived in less than a 30 mile radius my entire life, including college! But I have been to 26 other states, so far. Drove to all but HI and NY.
3. DH and I have been married 23 years and have 6 sons, 20, 17, 13, 10, 6 and almost 4. (Three sons are now taller than me- I am 5'9" and the tallest is 6'5".)
4. I grew up with two much older sisters (they are now 60 and 57- I am 45, as of March 24th! ) So, I was a bit of an only child at home, but am very close to my sisses.
5. I love... the colors blue and yellow (yes, I graduated from UM, but they were my favorites before then,) daffodils, old movies, biking and walking, the smell of chrism, and Tim Hortons!

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 11:02am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

ladybugs wrote:
I do voiceover work...

Maria, what is that?

ms clavel wrote:
If I could I would eat Chinese/Japanese/any Asian cuisine every single day.

No wonder we never run into each other in bristow restaurants... I'm a texmex, italian kinda girl.

(BTW-- no one has called me out for cheating and completely sharing way more stuff about *me* in between...)

StacyKay wrote:
I love... Tim Hortons

What's Tim Hortons?

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 11:14am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Maryan wrote:

What's Tim Hortons?

Seriously??? I thought you were a coffee drinker!! I think it may be a regional thing (Stacy and I are close to Canada!) THE yummiest coffee - and triple chocolate doughnuts!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 11:17am | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Maryan wrote:
Maybe reverse pschology is all you need - rub your tummy and tell the pumpkin he can stay inside all he/she wants. If you go into labor soon, know that you're in trouble for the teenage years.

lisbet wrote:

Matilda wrote:
I love it! As someone who has routinely gone 40 weeks + 9 days with each of my four and has tried everything from a castor oil root beer float with a peanut butter cup chaser to riding over train tracks in my husband's tiny little commuter car (both worked!)

Except for castor oil, I've tried all of these, plus more!   I've decided she/he's waiting for my birthday next week, when I'll be all of 35, Maryan! (Lisa, Bill loves your tag most of everyone here especially when he found out that you are younger than I am! )

Stacy, what's Tim Hortons?

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 11:20am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Rachel, that's funny... I've thought of putting me and dh's ages in there too to really add to the 'shock' value, but, that would put me over the limit on space!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 11:20am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

LOL -- it must be regional because otherwise, surely this coffee and donuts girl would know it. Triple chocolate donuts sound right up my alley. But... I've never been to Michigan. And have only made a quick visit in southern Ohio.

msclavel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 11:28am | IP Logged Quote msclavel

I learned the glories of Tim Horton's last summer when I went to Canada. Maryan, you would love it.

Age? 35. I met my husband when I was 13, but didn't know I loved him until I was 20. Since I had Maddy just shy of 22, you can see we wasted little time after that. He knew he loved me when he was 15. I'm ever so grateful he waited for me to catch up
Back to Top View msclavel's Profile Search for other posts by msclavel

<< Prev Page of 16 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version