Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: I'm Maryan and you are? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 11 2008 at 12:27am | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Corry O wrote:
2. I seem to be in the same graduating class as JennGM at FUS. My husband and I both graduated in '97 as well. I worked on campus in the chapel as a secretary until I graduated. I have found that Steubenville and NET (which I did '94-'95) are two of the smallest worlds you could find.

Welcome to the boards, Corry. Speaking as a FUS alum and former Netter, I quite agree with what you wrote above!

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 11 2008 at 12:35am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

teachingmom wrote:
He blessed me on the forehead, so I like to call myself a living relic.

You sure are!

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 11 2008 at 8:57am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Irene -- we're almost living the negative of each other except I did have one brother (who is 14 years younger than me) to go with my 5 sisters. And now... nothin' but "brothers."   

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Isa in Michigan
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 12 2008 at 7:28am | IP Logged Quote Isa in Michigan

1. I was born in the Canary Islands, Spain but moved to Ann Arbor, Michigan at the age of 4.

2. I went to the University of Michigan and got a degree in Elementary Education which I then used to teach at Spiritus Sanctus for a year (schools run by the Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist).

3. I am an introvert by nature, but have become more of an extrovert in the last five years (I enjoy time alone and being around other people).

4. I really enjoy playing the violin, but haven't played it much since having children. I am content to use my skills in teaching my children how to play the violin.

5. My parents and all of my husband's family live in Michigan, which has been great for our children.

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 12 2008 at 7:50am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Isa in Michigan wrote:
]I am an introvert by nature, but have become more of an extrovert in the last five years (I enjoy time alone and being around other people).

And I feel like I'm becoming more of a hermit from my former very social butterfly self!! But I think that's because it's hard to "flutter about" socially when you have to watch little ones.    

Also -- Canary Islands!! How exotic!

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 12 2008 at 7:51am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

By the way, how do you pronounce your name Isa? Is it Eesuh? Izuh? Or ???   

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 12 2008 at 8:23am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Isa, We are practically neighbors! :) I have some friends who's children used to attend Spiritus Sanctus!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

Kimberely
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 15 2008 at 9:53am | IP Logged Quote Kimberely

Ok, 5 things about me.
1. My hubby & I crossed paths for 10 years before we dated! he worked for my landlord and used to come work in my basement under my bedroom while I was sleeping! I yelled at him for waking me up ( I worked nights then) He tells everyone he 1st met me in my pj's & I yelled at him! lol
2. I am converting from Baptist to Catholic...waiting for my annullment to come through
3. I'm a secret chocoholic...I have secret stashes in the basement and the butter keeper drawer..hehhe
4. My hubb & kids insist that veggies other than potatos & corn will "kill" them...so I sneak pureed ones in their food
5.My hubb & kids have allerigies/asthma, so no dog for us, we do have an outside cat "Dave" who think's he's human,also because of the allergies I clean the house with vinegar & borax..they have allergies to perfumes & dyes. I tell my hubb he's such a pain! picky picky picky!
I love my life! Kim
Back to Top View Kimberely's Profile Search for other posts by Kimberely

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 15 2008 at 9:58am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Welcome Kim!! It's not a secret that I'm a chocoholic... but I do have secret stashes! Just because I'm a greedy chocoholic.

Katie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 15 2008 at 3:20pm | IP Logged Quote Katie

No Paula, I'm the thread killer! I didn't want to be the last one so I've procrastinated answering - how's that for pathetic?!

Anyway, here are five things about me:

1. I live in Suriname. It's okay, most people have to look it up on a map. You get bonus points if you know what the official language is.

2. I grew up in Wales in a town (of 2000 people) with a big 12th century castle dominating everything. Due to that and the turn of events later in life, I now speak lots of obscure and thoroughly useless languages such as Welsh (Sut wyt ti, Carole N.? ), Georgian, and now Dutch. Oops, I just gave away the bonus point question!! I also speak French and German but even those I never, ever use. I hope that our next move will be either to a Spanish speaking country, or to francophone Africa. We'll see!

3. I hardly ever post because I always seem to offend someone, and I just come across all wrong. My dh says I just write too "British", but I'm really quite nice in real life, honest!

4. I am currently on a huge curry kick and cook a curry of some description at least three times a week, and then eat leftovers for lunch, so I'm eating it almost every day. I cannot get enough! Thankfully dh likes it too, though I haven't convinced the kids yet and have to make them something else.

5. I lived in Alaska for almost four years, the first six months or more with no running water, and even longer with no washing machine, fridge, or stove. I cooked with a microwave oven and one of those single hot plates you plug into the wall. I had to time taking the cooler in and out of the house so that items wouldn't freeze or thaw too much. I had three kids three and under at the time, and it would take an hour or so to get them all bundled up for a "walk", only to last about 10 minutes before we all got too cold and had to come in. No matter how hard I had it, though, there was always someone there who had done the same or similar for much, much, longer, so it did put things in perspective. Alaska was an amazing experience, though. The Northern Lights were unbelievable, as was the wildlife. We saw lynx, wolves, foxes, snowshoe hares, moose, caribou, ptarmigan, swans, ermine, brown bears, black bears, all in the wild. We also ate well; we had a freezer full of salmon and (roadkill) moose meat.

Okay, so I've already fudged each point to include twenty - I better stop there and go and put the dinner on the table.

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 15 2008 at 3:46pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Katie!!! You're so funny.

And I'll take a stab... is it Dutch? I have to say that I cheated and looked in the dictionary. So I know it WAS a Dutch colony, but have no idea if that's the official language. And... being "geographically challenged," I had no idea Suriname was off the coast of South America!

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 15 2008 at 3:50pm | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

Katie wrote:
Anyway, here are five things about me:

1. I live in Suriname. It's okay, most people have to look it up on a map. You get bonus points if you know what the official language is.

2. I grew up in Wales in a town (of 2000 people) with a big 12th century castle dominating everything. Due to that and the turn of events later in life, I now speak lots of obscure and thoroughly useless languages such as Welsh (Sut wyt ti, Carole N.? ), Georgian, and now Dutch. Oops, I just gave away the bonus point question!! I also speak French and German but even those I never, ever use. I hope that our next move will be either to a Spanish speaking country, or to francophone Africa. We'll see!

3. I hardly ever post because I always seem to offend someone, and I just come across all wrong. My dh says I just write too "British", but I'm really quite nice in real life, honest!

4. I am currently on a huge curry kick and cook a curry of some description at least three times a week, and then eat leftovers for lunch, so I'm eating it almost every day. I cannot get enough! Thankfully dh likes it too, though I haven't convinced the kids yet and have to make them something else.

5. I lived in Alaska for almost four years, the first six months or more with no running water, and even longer with no washing machine, fridge, or stove. I cooked with a microwave oven and one of those single hot plates you plug into the wall. I had to time taking the cooler in and out of the house so that items wouldn't freeze or thaw too much. I had three kids three and under at the time, and it would take an hour or so to get them all bundled up for a "walk", only to last about 10 minutes before we all got too cold and had to come in. No matter how hard I had it, though, there was always someone there who had done the same or similar for much, much, longer, so it did put things in perspective. Alaska was an amazing experience, though. The Northern Lights were unbelievable, as was the wildlife. We saw lynx, wolves, foxes, snowshoe hares, moose, caribou, ptarmigan, swans, ermine, brown bears, black bears, all in the wild. We also ate well; we had a freezer full of salmon and (roadkill) moose meat.

Okay, so I've already fudged each point to include twenty - I better stop there and go and put the dinner on the table.

Such an interesting life you've had and such an interesting person you are, Katie!

ETA: Are the beaches just AWESOME there?

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

Katie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 15 2008 at 4:30pm | IP Logged Quote Katie

Err, Maria, can you believe there are no ocean beaches? We were really disappointed when we discovered that. The coastline is mangrove swamp mostly, or just muddy swamp. There are a few nice places to swim on some of the rivers. The more developed ones (I use that term pretty loosely) have nets up to keep the pirhannas out!

Thanks for saying my life is interesting. Really it's the same cook, wash dishes, do the laundry, wipe a smelly bum as in any other place, so it's nice to be reminded that I am, in fact, very blessed.

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 15 2008 at 4:35pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Katie, would you believe I just learned where Suriname was last week? I was making a control map of South America for my Montessori maps and I couldn't figure out a couple of them. You guessed it, Suriname was one (the other was French Guiana). Well, at least my kiddos will be better educated than I was!LOL!
Where in AK did you live? We are moving to Fairbanks this summer (though we wont be living as primitively as you were)and very much looking forward to it.
And I have to ask---what brings you to Suriname?

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Katie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 15 2008 at 4:51pm | IP Logged Quote Katie

Theresa,

We lived in Nenana, fifty-five miles south of Fairbanks, so FB is where we shopped. Funny aside: some friends and I once got talking about Cockney rhyming slang, and someone came up with "Tom Hanks" for Fairbanks, and now I cannot think of one without the other. You know, I never, ever, once drove that road without seeing a moose.

We really didn't live primitively. After living here and seeing Amerindians and Maroons in the jungle, your perspective does get a bit of a clobber on the head. It wasn't easy, though, and I was probably very, very whiny. It's a bit of a blur now!

My husband works for P*@ce C*rps (trying not to spell it out so I don't come up in a google search!). We've been posted in the Republic of Georgia and now here. We never imagined ourselves in either place, but both posts have been brilliant.

And you can't beat the weather!

Katie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 15 2008 at 4:53pm | IP Logged Quote Katie

Maryan, yes it's Dutch. There are another twenty something languages spoken, but Dutch is the language of government, business, and is used in schools etc. Who knew, huh?

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 15 2008 at 5:16pm | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

Katie, glad to see you posting again! I was beginning to wonder about you. Yn dda iawn diolch, Katie! Don't quiz me over my Welsh yet (although I do have two seperate programs for learning--we will start this week hopefully).

Enjoying it immensely here. We will be moving into our own home at the end of the month. I am pretty excited. I will miss living right beside the beach in this lovely village, but to be in town will be brilliant since I have yet to learn to drive on the opposite side of the road.

Oh, and I did learn how to say Cymru for my trip back to the states last week. My favorite dish at our local pub is Cymru (Welsh) chicken.

RenB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 15 2008 at 7:00pm | IP Logged Quote RenB

oh my goodness, I'm here, waving like crazy.... just found my password again under one of my infamous paper piles.

This is fun! About me;

1. I am a cradle Catholic and long time homeschooling mama but thought my brother was nuts and told him so when he was first to homeschool. I learned to become really humble in my early homeschooling days...really quiet too because I used the big "S" word with him, you know, his kids would be unsocialized....ewwwwwww My bad!Thank goodness that was a long time ago now and he forgives easily...wink

2. I married my teenage sweetheart who still makes my heart skip a beat, and I am Mama to eight, 31,28,26,21,17,15,10,9 with many bouts of infertility in between the gaps. I'm also MIL to four (sounds OLD doesn't it?) and proud Nana to seven little ones, 9,7,6,4,2,4 months. I miss them terribly since our move away, the result of a work transfer.

3. I began a blog almost two years ago to keep in touch with family and friends back home, always trying to be upbeat so our adventure over here tempts them to visit us. :-) We love our new area, a complete turnaround from being a city slicker, now learning to live in the country and listen to all that (er) quiet out yonder instead of trucks, trains and freeway traffic.

4. Our family members are ice hockey nuts and players, routing with utter loyalty for the Vancouver Canucks, though we are beginning to like the Atlanta Thrashers and the Pittsburg Penguins.

5. I love a good foamy latte, a special treat for me and a plethora of musical genre varieties to sip it with,and sometimes with a bite of chocolate if I dare tempt myself upon occasion. It's like when we were kids, you know sucking the red smartie and pretending we had red lipstick on from the way it stained our lips after! True confessions; I like to dip something chocolate, like when you get an "ovation stick" at a restaurant, into my latte or hot cup of coffee and suck the melted chocolate to make all my teeth brown, sometimes sweetly revealing them to the man across the table from me (my hubby) just to make my husband laugh at my silliness from our days of youthful zest when he did that to me for fun. Hmmmm....yummy.....snicker. With intense medical issues lately for him, laughter is GREAT medicine!

There you go, and tell me, do you eat the red ones last? :-)

Mommy to eight, cherished treasures sent to us 22 years apart. Nana to seven lovelies...so far.
"Go East," they said
Back to Top View RenB's Profile Search for other posts by RenB Visit RenB's Homepage

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 15 2008 at 8:34pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Katie wrote:
No Paula, I'm the thread killer!

Katie, it looks to me like you are the thread reviver!

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 15 2008 at 8:37pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

RenB wrote:
4. Our family members are ice hockey nuts and players, routing with utter loyalty for the Vancouver Canucks, though we are beginning to like the Atlanta Thrashers and the Pittsburg Penguins.

GO WILD!!!!!

RenB wrote:
It's like when we were kids, you know sucking the red smartie and pretending we had red lipstick on from the way it stained our lips after!

I thought that was just a Minnesota thing!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 16
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version