Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: I'm Maryan and you are? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 08 2008 at 7:27am | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

JennGM wrote:
I was working part time for CUF (Catholics United for the Faith) when Curtis started FOCUS as an off shoot of CUF. It's come a long way from little Steubenville, OH.

I did not know you worked for CUF or that you knew the MArtins? Small world. Did you work here or via computer?
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 08 2008 at 7:38am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Willa wrote:
I grew up in Alaska and am stilllll homesick for it.

So unlike the doctors wanna be's here, you will be living vicariously through Theresa's (lapazfarm) move up north!!

Truth be told -- I can't imagine wanting to live where it's cold... a lot! I know shallow and wimpy.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 08 2008 at 7:58am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Naaahhh.

My kids tease me about my thin California blood. I am cold even when it's 70 degrees outside. I can't hack humidity. I have now lived on the East Coast for a total of 15 years...nothing has changed.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 08 2008 at 8:04am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Carole N. wrote:
I think Jenn drinks Diet Coke (another favorite of mine as well). It is expensive over here, but oh so good!

Jenn, you should try a French Coffee Press. My coffee maker broke (long story) and there is a press in the cabinet. So I tried it and the coffee is so smooth. I read about them on the forum here. I am going to order some coffee today specifically for a press. And I guess that I will have to purchase one when we move!

My one sister swears by the French Press. I've tried Maryan's advice on Arabica beans because they are more mild. I find the caffeine in coffee is very strong, so I almost need to be completely decaffeinated. But I don't like bought coffee, either. But I know it's a phase...just pregnancy memories are too strong right now.

Yes, Cay, Diet Coke is my major vice.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 08 2008 at 8:05am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

chicken lady wrote:
JennGM wrote:
I was working part time for CUF (Catholics United for the Faith) when Curtis started FOCUS as an off shoot of CUF. It's come a long way from little Steubenville, OH.

I did not know you worked for CUF or that you knew the MArtins? Small world. Did you work here or via computer?

I was a non-traditional undergrad at FUS. I worked at the office a few days a week in my last semester. That was way back in 97.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 08 2008 at 8:16am | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

JennGM wrote:
]

I was a non-traditional undergrad at FUS. I worked at the office a few days a week in my last semester. That was way back in 97.

I knew you were here, I just did not connect the two
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

Fe2h2o
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 08 2008 at 9:17am | IP Logged Quote Fe2h2o

Fourteen pages?! I'm kind of glad I didn't get around to reading this earlier!

Five things about me...

1. I used to teach Woodwork, Metalwork, Tech Drawing and Jewellery to secondary students. In 10 years of classroom teaching, all of my teaching appointments were in these areas.
2. My degree was in Theatre and Drama Studies. (I did teach classes in this, but never as many as in Design and Tech:-) )
3. I have (with a group of friends!) built a solar car.
4. I have driven this car from Darwin to Adelaide (at about 40 kms an hour:-( ... that's about 25 m/ph)
5. When I was eleven, I drove (well, my parents did the driving, obviously!) around Australia (where I live) for six months. There were five of us, in an HR Holden and caravan (no air-conditioning... Nappies are so handy:-) ) (All that, and I still haven't been to Tasmania, or Uluru... and I have spent _precisely_ 30 minutes in Alice Springs—I did have a _great_ shower at the caravan park though!)

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 08 2008 at 9:26am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Fe wrote:
3. I have (with a group of friends!) built a solar car.

Wow!!

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 08 2008 at 9:55am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Carole N. wrote:

Jenn, you should try a French Coffee Press. My coffee maker broke (long story) and there is a press in the cabinet. So I tried it and the coffee is so smooth. I read about them on the forum here.

I bought a 2-cup Frieling after Donna mentioned it on that thread and I LOVE it! It's GREAT coffee!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 08 2008 at 10:00am | IP Logged Quote Matilda

We have been using a manual coffee maker for a while now and we love it. We thought about the French Press but supposedly it's not recommended for someone who leans towards high cholesterol like my husband does, don't know how true that is. I drink decaf exclusively and he drinks regular. You have to start with whole beans according to Alton Brown and grind them right before you brew. The coffee coming out of the manual maker is so much smoother than anything that came out of our electric!

We use to live next door to a young family that had a beautiful little girl named Michaelann for Mrs. Martin.

My husband transfered in from FUS the semester before we met and I think he knew the Martins too. It really is a small world after all!

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

Corry O
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 08 2008 at 11:40am | IP Logged Quote Corry O

Okay, I guess I'll finally break down and post something. I suppose two years of lurking is enough - I must break the streak sometime!

Here are five things:

1. I am 32 and a full-time mom to two children - a son who just turned 3, and a daughter who is 6 mos. We live in suburban Houston. My primary reason for lurking so long is that at first, I really wasn't so sure about this homeschool thing I don't think I would have realized what a beautiful lifestyle it can be until I started reading this board. Now that I've come around to accepting that I'm probably called to homeschool (and my son is now approaching preschool age), I hope to be more active in posting.

2. I seem to be in the same graduating class as JennGM at FUS. My husband and I both graduated in '97 as well. I worked on campus in the chapel as a secretary until I graduated. I have found that Steubenville and NET (which I did '94-'95) are two of the smallest worlds you could find.

3. I am a cancer survivor (Hodgkins Lymphoma). I was diagnosed at age 29, three weeks after my son was born. My husband and I call that year (2005) our "perfect storm." We were initiated into parenthood, endured cancer treatment, and then moved across the country from Phoenix to Houston as soon as I was done with treatment.    Don't ask me how I kept my sanity.

4. Up until my daughter was born, I was a "portress" at a Carmelite monastery located about 30 minutes from my home. I think this is the best volunteer opportunity I've ever had - one morning per month in the very quiet monastery with seven Carmelite nuns, usually helping them package unconsecrated altar breads for shipment. It was a little mini-retreat every month. They were over the moon when my daughter was born on the feast of Teresa of Avila (and we named her Therese). I'm sure they had something to do with it

5. One of my biggest vices is that I hoard interior design/shelter magazines - if you can name it I probably read it on a regular basis. It is a sickness.   Just last week I was reading a Martha Stewart Living mag from 1996.

I've really enjoyed reading this thread!

Corry
Back to Top View Corry O's Profile Search for other posts by Corry O

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 08 2008 at 12:13pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Corry O wrote:
One of my biggest vices is that I hoard interior design/shelter magazines - if you can name it I probably read it on a regular basis. It is a sickness.   Just last week I was reading a Martha Stewart Living mag from 1996.

I don't have a lot... but I reread them too! My dh keeps throwing them out on me when he sees the year of publication!!

And... welcome out of lurkdom!!

MarieC
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 08 2008 at 12:34pm | IP Logged Quote MarieC

Corry O wrote:
4. Up until my daughter was born, I was a "portress" at a Carmelite monastery located about 30 minutes from my home. I think this is the best volunteer opportunity I've ever had - one morning per month in the very quiet monastery with seven Carmelite nuns, usually helping them package unconsecrated altar breads for shipment. It was a little mini-retreat every month. They were over the moon when my daughter was born on the feast of Teresa of Avila (and we named her Therese). I'm sure they had something to do with it
Corry

This sounds like such a great opportunity! I'm kind of jealous!

Welcome to the group!

Out in the Orchard
Back to Top View MarieC's Profile Search for other posts by MarieC

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: April 08 2008 at 2:08pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I have to call someone and find out how this thread works. For now though, I'll say this: It makes no sense if you read it backwards.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 08 2008 at 2:12pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Elizabeth wrote:
I'll say this: It makes no sense if you read it backwards.

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 08 2008 at 3:22pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

What, Elizabeth, backwards reading and comprehension isn't one of your gifts? My view of you is shattered.

And I'm still reading. I've gone back and found some more posts that I *somehow* missed.   

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 08 2008 at 3:35pm | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

Well, I have *loved* this thread ... backwards and forwards! It has been such fun!

Corry, I started my married life in a Houston suburb. No thought to children or homeschooling at that time, but still a simular location (does this count as a six degrees)?

Also, I love interior design magazines! I used to have quite a few, but I left them in the States. I notice that my dh has re-started my collection since we will soon be moving into our own home. I will probably save these as well. You can never go wrong with good interior design!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 08 2008 at 3:44pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Carole N. wrote:
Corry, I started my married life in a Houston suburb. No thought to children or homeschooling at that time, but still a simular location (does this count as a six degrees)?

I'm originally from Houston. My aunt still lives in a suburb of Houston, but most everyone else is gone. We lived in Memorial Park area before it got expensive. That house was always flooding. We remodeled it and then moved to Shreveport, and it's been remodeled a few more times.

I went to St. Theresa's for daily Mass, Annunciation for Sunday Mass (back when it was the Novus Ordo Latin), St. Vincent de Paul grade school.

I miss it all.

Corry O
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 08 2008 at 4:38pm | IP Logged Quote Corry O

For those of you with the Houston connection - are you aware that a brand new co-cathedral was just dedicated this past weekend? I am really looking forward to seeing it.

Back to Top View Corry O's Profile Search for other posts by Corry O

Tonya
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 08 2008 at 4:43pm | IP Logged Quote Tonya

This is such a great thread! As a newbie, I am enjoying reading about all of you!

JennGM wrote:

"Tonya, Welcome to the boards! I wonder if you know some of my friends in Pittsburgh. Do you follow the Pittsburgh sports teams or still a CO fan?"

I haven't met a lot of Catholic homeschoolers in Pittsburgh, we haven't been here that long. Please feel free to pass my name onto anyone who homeschools here. I would love to network.

As for the sports teams, you CANNOT live in Pittsburgh and not be a Steelers fan. All my kids wanted Steeler gear for Christmas and that is what they got. But for baseball, I think that I'll stick with my Rockies!
Back to Top View Tonya's Profile Search for other posts by Tonya

<< Prev Page of 16 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version