Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: I'm Maryan and you are? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 07 2008 at 9:37am | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Betsie I am so glad you were brave enough to admit being lazy...that is SO ME! I love to sit down and just SIT. A lot of my friends don't believe me when I tell them that I do this, just sit for several minutes at a time, just doing nothing...totally decompressing and totally avoiding what needs to be done at that time. When I tell my dh that no one thinks I could be like this...he cracks up. He thinks of me as always sitting or laying down...never doing anything. Things get done, sometimes I don't know how. I'm sure I could get a lot more done if I wasn't like this, but I think I'd be more stressed too.

Anyways...glad to see I'm not the only one sitting!!!!

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 07 2008 at 9:45am | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

JennGM wrote:
And I love that I met Carole and now she is in Wales. I am dying to know have you been to Hay-on-Wye, the town of books yet?

I read Paul Collins' Sixpence House earlier this year about his experiences in Hay-on-Wye--you would probably really enjoy it, Carole! It is really a clever book-for-booklovers, and it paints such a varied picture of Wales and its inhabitants.

Still really enjoying reading everyone's "introductions"!

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

Lara Sauer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 07 2008 at 10:06am | IP Logged Quote Lara Sauer

Susan J!

I am so jealous!! Oh how I wish I could buy haddock here in Virginia. I once asked our butcher, who sells many other kinds of fish why he didn't carry haddock and he said it was hard to get...and here's me thinking..."Dude, isn't haddock an ocean fish, and aren't we only three hours from the ocean? I could go into any grocery store in my hometown on Kaukauna, WI and find haddock and they are probably 20 hours from the ocean!!!" And don't get me started on missing lake perch!

I would love your beer batter recipe. My husband Greg and I always joke that Milwaukee's "Best" is only suitable for cooking! Feel free to pm me. I have never made a batter-fried fish before.

Guitarnan...there is no smell more heavenly on earth than Lambeau Field before a Packer game, even in the dead of winter. Imagine acres and acres of little black Weber grills with probably thousands of bratwursts frying all at the same time...YUM! (And yes, we call them "brat fries" even though we are grilling them!)

Maybe we should start a link for those who have connections to WI? What thinkest thou(s)?

To all of you who have posted, I have so enjoyed reading snippets of who you are! Keep them coming!

KristinaP
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 07 2008 at 10:56am | IP Logged Quote KristinaP

KackyK wrote:
Betsie I am so glad you were brave enough to admit being lazy...that is SO ME! I love to sit down and just SIT. A lot of my friends don't believe me when I tell them that I do this, just sit for several minutes at a time, just doing nothing...totally decompressing and totally avoiding what needs to be done at that time. When I tell my dh that no one thinks I could be like this...he cracks up. He thinks of me as always sitting or laying down...never doing anything. Things get done, sometimes I don't know how. I'm sure I could get a lot more done if I wasn't like this, but I think I'd be more stressed too.

Anyways...glad to see I'm not the only one sitting!!!!

That's funny! That's so me, too and I thought I was the only one that did that. I can't believe all the people that can read, make phone calls, type on the computer, etc. while nursing. I TOTALLY use that as my decompress time!

Sara, I still listen to Depeche mode! (when the kids aren't around anyway) :-)
Back to Top View KristinaP's Profile Search for other posts by KristinaP

CandaceC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 07 2008 at 12:37pm | IP Logged Quote CandaceC

Matilda, I am supposedly related to Sam Houston as well!

Maybe *we* are related somehow too!

His Mercy Is New
Back to Top View CandaceC's Profile Search for other posts by CandaceC Visit CandaceC's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 07 2008 at 12:58pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

MarieC wrote:
1. Me too, but look out if you get me one-on-one.   

I'm the same way. I think that's why people won't talk to me, because they know I can't stop. I'm terrible on the phone...gab, gab, gab. I think some of it is nerves, though.[/QUOTE]

Oh my goodness! When Marie and I get on the phone - look out we both gab gab gab gab gab!    I miss chatting with ya Marie!

Quote:
3. Despite having a journalism degree I've never worked in the media. My emphasis was in public relations and I did send out a lot of press releases for the non-profits I worked for.

I did not know this!!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 07 2008 at 1:21pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Lisbet wrote:
I'm the same way. I think that's why people won't talk to me, because they know I can't stop. I'm terrible on the phone...gab, gab, gab.

This is how the internet helps me!! The phone can be dangerous in my house: I can't get off; the boys know it; the house gets trashed...

It is much easier to walk away from the computer than a fun, real person on my phone!!

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

anniemm
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 07 2008 at 1:55pm | IP Logged Quote anniemm

Erin wrote:
Anniemm wrote:
3. I have never had a "real job." We got married when I was 20, thinking I would finish college and teach for a while before we had children. Alas, God had other plans and I got pregnant 10 days after the wedding! I have been a SAHM my entire adult life.

Well I was married after my first year of college, I was 20 nearly 21. I never finished my degree as I had decided teaching children who didn't want to be there was not for me. I found some of the rules pretty silly too.   We conceived our first child three days into our honeymoon. What a blessing from God.

That was one of my reasons for not finishing as well! After my first two education courses, I was not feeling enthusiastic about what I perceived to be babysitting, rather than teaching! That's why I'm so excited about homeschooling.

Carole N. wrote:
Andrea, does your dh work with Focus? We know the Martin's from the Midwest Family Conference (well, we met them there). We think that is a really great group and love what they are doing on college campuses.

Carol - yes he is a FOCUS missionary! We love the Martins and feel so blessed to live in the same town as them! In fact, I see Michaelann about once a week and both of them host missionary families at their home once a month to impart their wisdom on missionary work while having a family. Thats so fun that you know them! I'm glad to know you have heard of FOCUS! We think it is a topnotch organization.

Mama to four little girls (04), (05), (07), (09),& my 1st little guy 11/11
www.hiswillmypeace.com
Back to Top View anniemm's Profile Search for other posts by anniemm Visit anniemm's Homepage

KerryK
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 07 2008 at 6:25pm | IP Logged Quote KerryK

I can't believe it took me so long to get here and read this thread - and now it's 13 pages long!
Here are a few things about me:

My name is Kerry and

1. I live in a house that is 101 years old (hasn't been renovated much in that time either!)

2. If I could, I would knit all day.

3. Before staying home with my kids I was a children's librarian and then a preschool teacher.

4. I love coffee, pizza, and chocolate!

5. Two of my secret desires are to have another baby and to meet some IRL homeschool friends (I'm pretty isolated here)

It has been so much fun for me to read about you all! I'm a shy person, so don't always post as often as I'd like to.

Mary (6)
New baby Samuel 2/26/07!
and 9 angels in heaven

The Eyes of My Heart
Back to Top View KerryK's Profile Search for other posts by KerryK Visit KerryK's Homepage

Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 07 2008 at 7:26pm | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

Like Kerry, I'll jump in here on page 13 (!) and try to find time to read back through these...

1) I really don't like coffee. I drink Celestial Seasonings Tea: Zingers, Peppermint, and Black Cherry Berry are my favorites!

2) I have a degree in Civil Engineering with an emphasis in the Environmental field that I used for 3 years before becoming a SAHM.

3) I play the organ at 8:00 Mass. (Really, I play the piano - It's a Clavinova and I just push a button to make it sound like an organ).

4) I worked 20 hours a week at the Air Force Academy "Center for Character Development" my senior year in high school.

5) I love camping - instead of a honeymoon in Rome, like most of our friends, my husband and I went on a 2-week camping trip that covered the Black Hills (SD), Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, and Glacier National Park.

Baby boy due 10.13
Back to Top View Stephanie_Q's Profile Search for other posts by Stephanie_Q Visit Stephanie_Q's Homepage

Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 07 2008 at 7:44pm | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

anniemm wrote:

Carole N. wrote:
Andrea, does your dh work with Focus? We know the Martin's from the Midwest Family Conference (well, we met them there). We think that is a really great group and love what they are doing on college campuses.

Carol - yes he is a FOCUS missionary! We love the Martins and feel so blessed to live in the same town as them! In fact, I see Michaelann about once a week and both of them host missionary families at their home once a month to impart their wisdom on missionary work while having a family. Thats so fun that you know them! I'm glad to know you have heard of FOCUS! We think it is a topnotch organization.

FOCUS came to our Newman Center my senior year of college and I know a few people who are or have been involved. One of our best friends works for FOCUS in Denver.

Baby boy due 10.13
Back to Top View Stephanie_Q's Profile Search for other posts by Stephanie_Q Visit Stephanie_Q's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 07 2008 at 8:45pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Stephanie_Q wrote:
anniemm wrote:

Carole N. wrote:

FOCUS came to our Newman Center my senior year of college and I know a few people who are or have been involved. One of our best friends works for FOCUS in Denver.

I was working part time for CUF (Catholics United for the Faith) when Curtis started FOCUS as an off shoot of CUF. It's come a long way from little Steubenville, OH.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 07 2008 at 8:53pm | IP Logged Quote joann10

Stephanie_Q wrote:

3) I play the organ at 8:00 Mass. (Really, I play the piano - It's a Clavinova and I just push a button to make it sound like an organ).

Stephanie, I play the organ at my church. It is just a little electric organ, but I have never learned to use the pedals.
Back to Top View joann10's Profile Search for other posts by joann10

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 07 2008 at 8:53pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

I'll chime in here too, I'm always the Johnny-come-lately:

1. I was born and raised in Michigan. For most of my childhood I lived 2 miles from Silver Lake. (I thought "By the Shores of Silver Lake" was written about the teeny-town I grew up in. until I read it)I was raised in the country on 40 acres and loved it. I have such happy memories of picking blackberries, wild strawberries, climbing countless trees, playing in a plum orchard, running barefoot, swimming in creeks, etc. We wanted our children to have these memories, so after 16 years in VA, we moved back, but just barely. My family says we only have a toe in MI.

2. I'm a convert. 14 years ago, as a Protestant, I worked with some "misguided" Catholics I was sure to convert , they tricked me and told me about this quiet place to pray...in a Catholic church before the Blessed Sacrament. I was received into the Church less than a year later.

3. I too am a HUGE old movie fan. In my world Bing Crosby, Fred Astaire, Jane Powell, Cary Grant, etc still live. I have a long list of old greats: my friends ask me what to get through Netflix.

4. I'm almost always barefoot and a total homebody, I love being home and making the home cozy, making something yummy for everyone, or working in the garden.

5. I married at 17 and had my first baby a few days shy of my 18th Bday. My conversion at the age of 20 was nothing short of a miracle. I rely totally on God's grace to get me through.

That's me in a nutshell, I so enjoy reading 4 Real. I am a very shy person so I don't post often but I have learned so much here and appreciate the opportunity to be the "fly on the wall" to the conversations here. Reading the posts here and Elizabeth's blog has so inspired me to grow as a Catholic wife, mother and woman.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 07 2008 at 8:54pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Stephanie_Q wrote:
1) I really don't like coffee. I drink Celestial Seasonings Tea: Zingers, Peppermint, and Black Cherry Berry are my favorites!

And I'm going to admit that I've lost my taste for coffee. It seems to go in waves, and it's so bitter smelling and tasting in pregnancy. I'm 4 mos. postpartum and I still don't want to touch it.

But I cannot stomach tea. Some herbal I like, but as long as it has no green or black tea. I literally get nauseous as soon as I take a sip. Happened ever since I was young. Another sister of mine is the same way.

Stephanie_Q wrote:

Neat! I want someday to go back to playing the organ at church. The boys are too young right now, plus we travel too frequently on weekends to commit to a Sunday job, but I feel like one day it will open up for me. Ever feel the call is there for some day but not right now?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 07 2008 at 9:10pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Maddie wrote:
3. I too am a HUGE old movie fan. In my world Bing Crosby, Fred Astaire, Jane Powell, Cary Grant, etc still live. I have a long list of old greats: my friends ask me what to get through Netflix.

Several of you mentioned this. I am, too! My dh teases me incessantly on how I can just get into a movie at any point when it's one of the older ones. If I'm flipping and one of those greats are on, I'm in! I respond that he can tune in at any time with sports, so with me, it's movies!

And all my siblings are old movie buffs -- and we quote them all the time. It can be annoying to those who have no clue.

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 07 2008 at 9:51pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

KerryK wrote:

4. I love coffee, pizza, and chocolate!

5. Two of my secret desires are to have another baby and to meet some IRL homeschool friends (I'm pretty isolated here)

It has been so much fun for me to read about you all! I'm a shy person, so don't always post as often as I'd like to.

I could say those same things about me, except for the posting thing since I post quite a bit! I think my IRL shyness makes me more likely to come here because it's so easy to talk when it's just a matter of typing

In addition:

1. I grew up in Alaska and am stilllll homesick for it.
2. We live in a log home on 2 acres in the mountains and my dh works at home; we only have one car.
3.   I can hardly bear to watch movies or TV -- only sometimes sit down for one in order to share with my family.   My fun things are a book and the internet.
4. As someone else mentioned I have been a SAHM my whole adult life -- married 2 days after getting BA and we had our first 2 days short of our first anniversary-- sometimes did snatches of work for barter or to help out with DH's business, but no workforce entry.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 07 2008 at 10:35pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Ok, Jenn...no coffee...no tea.
What do you drink? Just curious.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 08 2008 at 3:38am | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

I think Jenn drinks Diet Coke (another favorite of mine as well). It is expensive over here, but oh so good!

Jenn, you should try a French Coffee Press. My coffee maker broke (long story) and there is a press in the cabinet. So I tried it and the coffee is so smooth. I read about them on the forum here. I am going to order some coffee today specifically for a press. And I guess that I will have to purchase one when we move!

Willa, my ds would be jealous. At one time he wanted to live in Alaska!

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 08 2008 at 6:42am | IP Logged Quote stacykay

Maddie wrote:
3. I too am a HUGE old movie fan. In my world Bing Crosby, Fred Astaire, Jane Powell, Cary Grant, etc still live. ]

Ahh, yes, here too!

JennGM wrote:

...And all my siblings are old movie buffs -- and we quote them all the time. It can be annoying to those who have no clue.

We are "quoters" too! "The Quiet Man" and "Mr. Roberts" have been bouncing around here the past month!

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

<< Prev Page of 16 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version