Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: I'm Maryan and you are? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 05 2008 at 7:19pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Lara (sara)'s comment about referring to Wisconsin as her home made me think of this fun fact:

My grandfather moved from AL to MI during the depression. So, my dad was raised in MI. When dad's mother died, his dad married his high school and moved back to Alabama; so, I was raised in Alabama.

I met husband working at a non-profit on the East Coast. Not only is he from Michigan, but he's from the same county in MI as my dad, my dad's first cousin was dh's bil's first grade teacher, and my dad's best friend in high school is now the drain commisioner there and the boss of one of dh's brothers.

What a small world.

PS--It reminded me because neither my husband or myself can think of where we currently live as home (our actual house, maybe, but not the area) and we respectively refer to AL and MI as "home."

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2008 at 7:26pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Lara Sauer wrote:
Well, that's me in a "nutshell!" If you read this far, you are a nut!

I guess that makes me nutty Sara/Lara Eighty Beatty!!

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Lara Sauer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2008 at 7:33pm | IP Logged Quote Lara Sauer

"Nutty" but nice! (I might have forgotten to mention that the nickname that my older 9 siblings pegged me with was "Sassy Sara!")

Thanks for reading all the way to the bottom, Maryan!   

If you are curious for more info, I posted a connection on the 6 degrees of separation posting!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 05 2008 at 7:44pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Paula in MN wrote:
And I have a question for YOU! Are you related to the Von Trapp family, or just a huge fan?

Just a fan. I inherited the vontrapp user name from Lissa, when she started that blog, and when I opened my personal blog, I couldn't change the username.

Right now the only famous person I know we're related is Susan B. Anthony.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2008 at 7:48pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

JennGM wrote:

That's awesome!

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2008 at 7:55pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

JennGM wrote:

My grandmother claims we are related to Sam Houston. I would love to find out if it is true. Anyone have experience with genealogy research?

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2008 at 8:00pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

My mother's ancestors were royalty in Korea way back when they had kings and queens.

In Korea, the family tree is written down and passed to the eldest son. When you are a daughter, you are removed when you get married and added to your husband's tree. My mother's line ends with my uncle since he had no sons. It's all computerized now but it goes way, way back. I think it's really cool. I don't like the idea that you get removed from the tree though. My uncle still has the written records which are really old and delicate. I don't think he'd let us see them as we are estranged.   

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2008 at 8:09pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Okay I knew I was hanging with the "A" crowd, but...Susan B. Anthony, Sam Houston and then Korean royalty. That's pretty impressive.

My family can trace our line back to be members of theDaughters of the American Revolution... whcih came in handy for college scholarships...but no fame or fortune. Just potato famines.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 05 2008 at 9:14pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Wow This discussion is so interesting. I keep thinking I'll comment on that... and then something else interesting is written and I think and that... and I never write anything. Oh well hopefully soon.

JennGM wrote:
Erin wrote:
4: I have 100 boxes of books sitting in a shipping container on my property which I have just spent the last two weeks sorting and labeling. (There is a reason)

I missed this the first time around. I'm way too impressed that you got it all organized. Now what are the size of these boxes? I'm wondering if you beat me in quantity. I have a feeling you do...

I must take a photo, I'm pretty pleased with finishing this mammoth task.    I sorted them into groups such as The Ancient World, Middle Ages etc I can't believe how many boxes of Trixie Belden and Hardy Boys my dc have. I hasten to assure you that one third of the books are for my siblings (family books)

The boxes I used were whatever I managed to scrounge from around town, apple boxes are my favourite, I didn't go much bigger than that as dh complains I'll give him a hernia otherwise lifting them onto the shelves.

Maryan wrote:
Okay I knew I was hanging with the "A" crowd, but...Susan B. Anthony, Sam Houston and then Korean royalty. That's pretty impressive.

My family can trace our line back to be members of the Daughters of the American Revolution... which came in handy for college scholarships...but no fame or fortune. Just potato famines.

Well should I mention that my ancestor came out on the First Fleet (to Australia) now you would think that is something to hide having convict ancestry but no typically Australian we're pretty proud of it. Oh and Michael Collins (of Ireland) is also an ancestor.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2008 at 9:25pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

Lara Sauer wrote:

2.) I have lived in Virginia now for 15 years, but when I use the term "home" I still mean Wisconsin! This confuses my children to no end! I love all things Wisconsin-ese, from beer to cheese, from bratwurst to the Packers (Brett Favre, we will miss you!) I still think you can't get good food anywhere in Virginia, and my husband and I desperately miss Friday night fish fries!

Sara, my dh is from Wisconsin and guess what we just had for dinner tonight? I know it's not a Friday but fried fish is just not all that penitential for us. Dh brought home some Milwaukee's Best to make beer batter and we fried haddock and had coleslaw. Delicious. He misses Wisconsin, too!

Susan

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 05 2008 at 9:48pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

My dad is from Wisconsin (Manitowoc County) and to this day, my idea of a barbecue is bratwurst, some nice potato side dish and more bratwurst.

I have raised my dc on German food, in order to keep the Wisconsin/Alsatian traditions alive. My son thinks Wiener Schnitzel is the ultimate birthday dinner, so I guess I'm succeeding.

anniemm
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 07 2008 at 12:07am | IP Logged Quote anniemm

I think I'm cheating since the forums are back open, but it's still Sunday in my time zone! My kids are sleeping and my DH is preparing for his last day out snowboarding tomorrow - so, I thought I would "rest" and kill some time on here! I have LOVED this discussion....I hope I'm not too late to jump in with my five!

1. I am the oldest of 6. I'm 25 and my youngest sister is 2. My parents had a major reversion to the faith and had 4 babies starting when I was 15 (before that, it was just my brother and I). When my mom was pregnant with the youngest one, I was pregnant with my 2nd child. We were pregnant at the same time and it was sooooo strange!   

2. I am married to the most loving, funniest, faith-filled man I have ever encountered. He is a "domestic missionary" and serves on the campus of the University of Northern Colorado evangalizing college students, bringing them to the faith, and encouraging them to live "chastity, sobriety, and excellence." We raise 100% of our income from people's generous monthly donations (as do all the missonaries in our organization - it's a great lesson in trusting God!) and someone wonderful on these boards is on our support team! I don't know if she would want me to tell... We also have 3 children -all girls who we look forward to homeschooling thanks to the encouragement on this board!

3. I have never had a "real job." We got married when I was 20, thinking I would finish college and teach for a while before we had children. Alas, God had other plans and I got pregnant 10 days after the wedding! I have been a SAHM my entire adult life.

4. I was a classically trained vocalist - Alto I. I so desperately miss singing that it's almost painful to think about.

5. I have NEVER been to the East Coast and love hearing you all talk about it! I grew up in Texas and now live in Colorado. I did go to Florida once, but I don't think that counts. Maybe I should say "North East." I'm just dying to get to New England to see some season changes! I've been hardly anywhere in the US, but have toured in Europe twice - both times for performance purposes. I sang in Notre Dame cathedral, Westminster Abbey, and St. Paul's cathedral. Other than the East Coast, I'd love to go to Montana and Oregon.

I also think it's interesting to see what "personality type" people are so I'll toss that in as bonus! I'm 95% melancholic and an ISFJ.

Thanks for a fun post!

Mama to four little girls (04), (05), (07), (09),& my 1st little guy 11/11
www.hiswillmypeace.com
Back to Top View anniemm's Profile Search for other posts by anniemm Visit anniemm's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 07 2008 at 1:19am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Anniemm wrote:
1. I am the oldest of 6. I'm 25 and my youngest sister is 2. My parents had a major reversion to the faith and had 4 babies starting when I was 15 (before that, it was just my brother and I). When my mom was pregnant with the youngest one, I was pregnant with my 2nd child. We were pregnant at the same time and it was sooooo strange!    

Andrea
You and I have lots in common! I'm the oldest of eight and my youngest sister was born when I was 20, she is now sixteen. My parents had their 'pigeon pair' in the 70s and bought into the 'overpopulated world' myth. Then later became convicted that it was not what God wanted and my sister was born when I was eight and then another baby every 2 and a half years approx. after that.

My oldest was born when my sister was 18months old. Mum and I were breastfeeding together, believe me at 21 that felt strange.

Anniemm wrote:
3. I have never had a "real job." We got married when I was 20, thinking I would finish college and teach for a while before we had children. Alas, God had other plans and I got pregnant 10 days after the wedding! I have been a SAHM my entire adult life.

Well I was married after my first year of college, I was 20 nearly 21. I never finished my degree as I had decided teaching children who didn't want to be there was not for me. I found some of the rules pretty silly too.   We conceived our first child three days into our honeymoon. What a blessing from God.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 07 2008 at 4:15am | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

Well, I don't know about the time zone. I am six hours ahead, so it always looks like I am posting in the middle of the night!

Andrea, does your dh work with Focus? We know the Martin's from the Midwest Family Conference (well, we met them there). We think that is a really great group and love what they are doing on college campuses.

Jenn, I don't know about Hay-on-Wye, but my ds is looking it up for me today (geography assignment, isn't homeschooling great). We will have to go since our family loves books!

ETA: I will count my book boxes after we move into our house. I am pretty sure that I cannot compete with Erin, however.

And speaking of reverts and converts, my dh is a revert even though he went to Catholic schools his whole life. He crowned it off by earning his masters in theology from Ave Maria University. It was one of the long distance programs, but he still got to take courses from all those great professors.

Now, I am a convert (at 19), but I sort of drifted back and forth in my late 20s. When we came back into the church, our children were our motivating factor. So does that make me a convert/revert?

Jenn, I found out after the conference that you were not feeling well that day (although I would have never known it). I was just so glad to met you and your family and all of the other wonderful ladies who were there. I was so glad to be at the conference!

I wish that I could do the quote thing, but I have not quite figured that out as of yet. One of these day!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 07 2008 at 4:37am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

anniemm wrote:
...I hope I'm not too late to jump in with my five!

It's never too late - please continue to jump in everyone. The party is just starting!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

mama251ders
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 07 2008 at 7:22am | IP Logged Quote mama251ders

Okay, I am really late with this, but I want to join in the fun!

1. I am the youngest of only 3 children and have been called the "miracle baby" my whole life (how's that for keeping my head out of the clouds?)

2. Even though it is totally immoral and full of bad, bad things, I really love the show S** and the City (mostly for the clothes and the shoes)!

3. I am really a very lazy person who would languish on the couch all day if I could. It takes a lot of cajoling myself to get things done!

4. I would have a new house and new furniture every year if it weren't for that pesky money issue! My dream is to win the lottery (and first give our church all the money it needs to finish building!) and have 12 different houses, each with it's very own style and personality.

5. I am a book junkie. I can't pass up a garage sale that has books and I usually walk away with a grocery bag full. I have bought Anna Comstock's Handbook of Nature Study 5 different times just because the price was so cheap. Some of my friend didn't know how much they wanted one until I forced them to take it!

This really is fun! If you only knew what I DIDN'T tell you!

Blessings,
Betsie

Back to Top View mama251ders's Profile Search for other posts by mama251ders

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 07 2008 at 7:55am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

mama251ders wrote:
I am a book junkie. I can't pass up a garage sale that has books and I usually walk away with a grocery bag full. I have bought Anna Comstock's Handbook of Nature Study 5 different times just because the price was so cheap. Some of my friend didn't know how much they wanted one until I forced them to take it

I'll send you my booklist... I never seem to hit the garage sales with the good books.

Carole - I keep forgetting your in Wales until I see the time you're time posting!

Andrea - we're like Mutt and Jeff. I've never been to the west coast, I married late, and I've held a gazillion jobs, but... I did get pregnant about 10 days after our wedding, I've been a SAHM the entire time, and I'm an oldest.

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 07 2008 at 8:17am | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Woefully late, am I, but here are my five random facts:

1. I am an old movie buff extraordinaire. When I was a teen (and before VCRs), I used to set my alarm clock to watch an old black and white--I remember one week-end, setting my alarm, calling my best friend to wake her, and watching Mildred Pierce with her on the phone at 3 am). It was an awesome film...This love of movies carried me through college where I got a BS in Radio/TV/Film with an emphasis in screen-writing...Alas, I was too shy to "sell" myself as is needed in the movie industry, so I worked as a manager/trainer at Blockbuster for five years until I had my first baby!    I am now in hog's heaven as I have two older daughters I am beginning to share my love of films with...

2.   I love red-heads, married one, but none of my babies have had red hair, much to my (and dh's) eternal sadness!   

3. Some of my favorite bands are Led Zeppelin, The Police and Bad Company...I don't listen to them around the kids--they can't stand most of the songs!

4. I made a Lenten commitment to read the gospels every day for the rest of my life and started the Gospel of John--I am still reading John, so at this rate, I will maybe finish all four gospels once before I die...

5. I love being Catholic and receiving the grace and gift of a largish family and caring for them and teaching them and just loving them. I try and show that love to all I meet but fail often--I know when I fail because I get the comments from strangers--"your hands are full" or "tough day?"...I keep on perservering...

This thread is wonderful--I haven't been able to sit at the computer to read it all, so I may just have to print it out and read it while I nurse the baby!

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

Loren
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 07 2008 at 8:42am | IP Logged Quote Loren

I'll play, too.

1. I'm a middle child. That explains a lot.

2. I love cooking, but cleaning not so much.

3. My wedding was the first celebration held in our (former) parish's new hall.

4. I am the parent who does the "fun" stuff like tickle fights and taking them fishing.

5. I really really really want more kids, but it looks like they are not in my future.
Back to Top View Loren's Profile Search for other posts by Loren

MarieC
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 07 2008 at 9:06am | IP Logged Quote MarieC

JennGM wrote:
PDyer wrote:
Mare wrote:
5) I'm a very quiet person who prefers to blend in the background in large settings.

1. Me too, but look out if you get me one-on-one.   

I'm the same way. I think that's why people won't talk to me, because they know I can't stop. I'm terrible on the phone...gab, gab, gab. I think some of it is nerves, though.

This is totally me!

I've had a lot of fun reading these posts over the last few days. I'm gonna be another person to jump in late here. I read here so much but don't post much because I generally don't think I have much to add to the conversation and I also suffer from that "uncool high school" feeling that some others have posted about!

Anyway...here are my five:

1. I've lived in Ohio for nearly 22 years but still think of Michigan is my "hometown"...keep hoping to move back....the funny thing is that I only live about 3 miles south of the border!

2. I met my dh the first weekend at college....it'll be 20 years in August. We realized later though that we were in Hilton Head at the same time two years earlier and at the same event there! We also applied to several of the same colleges. I think we were meant to be together! Our anniversary is Halloween

3. Despite having a journalism degree I've never worked in the media. My emphasis was in public relations and I did send out a lot of press releases for the non-profits I worked for.

4. I love the water but have become terribly out of shape the last 4-5 years. I hope to get into good enough shape to waterski this summer....my brother bought a boat

5. I am the 24th of 28 cousins on my dad's side. I always liked having a lot of cousins since I only had 1 brother. My childhood was a constant chain of graduation parties, bridal showers, weddings and baby showers. It makes me kind of sad that my kids don't get to experience this stuff.

This has been such a fun thread to read....thanks so much for starting it, Maryan.

Out in the Orchard
Back to Top View MarieC's Profile Search for other posts by MarieC

<< Prev Page of 16 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version