Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: I'm Maryan and you are? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 05 2008 at 3:58pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

stacykay wrote:
Paula, is there any way you could post the picture of your dad and Cary?

Okay,here's the picture. Check out what my Dad is holding in his hand - while laying on a bed in a Military hospital!!!

(sorry, I can't get the picture uploaded to the forum...)

msclavel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2008 at 4:09pm | IP Logged Quote msclavel

Paula, that is sooooo cool!!!!
Back to Top View msclavel's Profile Search for other posts by msclavel

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2008 at 4:11pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

I second that...very high on the coolness scale! And boy how times have changed!!!!

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2008 at 4:12pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

msclavel wrote:
Paula, that is sooooo cool!!!!

Thank you, my dear! Oh, BTW -- painfully shy here, too. Until my mom up and moved us all from MN to FL. I went to a school on Siesta Key, and there were only 7 of us in 7th grade, 5 boys, myself and another girl. Since I was the "new" student, and the only one not native to Florida, I was constantly asked to compare everything we were learning in FL with what I had learned in MN. I was forced out of my shyness, but can relate!

msclavel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2008 at 4:13pm | IP Logged Quote msclavel

Maryan wrote:

Yep. And did you wear several different colored neon socks too?

I wore neon 100% plastic shoes and those little plastic bracelets that matched. Plus, when we went to the beach I got one of those totally awesome fringed AND beaded custom spray painted T-shirts....Oh.Yeah.
Back to Top View msclavel's Profile Search for other posts by msclavel

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2008 at 4:15pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Paula.. that is way

(I've always wanted to use that emoticon!)

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

CAgirl4God
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 05 2008 at 4:16pm | IP Logged Quote CAgirl4God

Paula.. very cool picture.
Back to Top View CAgirl4God's Profile Search for other posts by CAgirl4God

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2008 at 4:16pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

msclavel wrote:
Plus, when we went to the beach I got one of those totally awesome fringed AND beaded custom spray painted T-shirts....Oh.Yeah.

I am snorting because I am laughing so hard at this

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2008 at 4:32pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

Paula, I left a comment on your blog, but had to thank you again, here. Absolutely awesome!

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2008 at 5:08pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

I cannot explain the shoe tying thing. Maybe I can try to videotape it! It happened because I was unable to set one of my children down for several weeks. I just learned to do things with one hand.
Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2008 at 5:12pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Paula in MN wrote:
msclavel wrote:
Plus, when we went to the beach I got one of those totally awesome fringed AND beaded custom spray painted T-shirts....Oh.Yeah.

I am snorting because I am laughing so hard at this

Oh!!! Me too! weren't those just the greatest!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 05 2008 at 5:40pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Jenn Sal wrote:
Okay JenniferS...I'm JennSal. When I see JenniferS, I stop and think it's me!

Now to all Jennifer's:
There was always another Jennifer in my class. Then I had to deal with my name being shortened....a reason why I give all my children names that can't be shortened. I had a teacher who asked me what I wanted to be called. I said, "Jennifer or Jenn". She decided to call me Jenny, which I DO NOT LIKE!

Oh, yes! When I meet people, I say my name is Jennifer. I'm Jenn to my family and close friends (which would be 4Real). But DO NOT CALL ME JENNY!

My sister used to board with the Hahns, and when I first met Scott Hahn he kept calling me "Jenny". My sister had to tell him nicely that it just made me cringe every time he said it.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 05 2008 at 5:42pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

lapazfarm wrote:
Paula in MN wrote:

1. I am notorious (in my own mind) for stopping 4Real threads.

Hey Paula! The thread is still going! Your spell must be breaking!

Paula! Do you happen to have any melancholic in your temperament? One of my sisters used to call me and say "I'm just a thread killer!"

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 05 2008 at 5:45pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Sorry for the serial posting. I've been out all day and can't find a good way to piece together my responses to some of the quotes

MaryM wrote:
I do believe we have our fair share of Marys also - but I guess that would be expected on a Catholic list. And the thing is we have fewer variations in spelling and nick names to distuinguish ourselves. Out come the middle names.

I almost wrote there were a lot of Jennifers AND Marys. And then forgot when I did type.

mrsgranola
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 05 2008 at 5:55pm | IP Logged Quote mrsgranola

JennGM wrote:
   But DO NOT CALL ME JENNY!

My sister used to board with the Hahns, and when I first met Scott Hahn he kept calling me "Jenny". My sister had to tell him nicely that it just made me cringe every time he said it.

Oh, I am the same way. There are some people that insist on calling me "Joann" instead of "JoAnna" and it just bugs the heck out of me when they do it continually. It's not like they just met me... I can understand it if a new person does it. I was named after my grandmother, who was named after her grandmother, too. So I really like my name.

JoAnna

Wendy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2008 at 5:59pm | IP Logged Quote Wendy

Maryan wrote:
kc in tx wrote:
] The closest I can get to Maryan is that we were once stationed at Quantico for a school and we lived in Northern Virginia for a year.

We live very close to Quantico's base... but the entrance gate is far away. But the base itself is so close that when the marines are doing exercises, it sounds like a thunderstorm. My boys come running in... and I have to point out that it's a sunny day, it's not thunder, just the marines.

Also -- dh has two brothers in the Marines that went through Quantico as well then they went to Pensicolo to become a C130 pilot - reservist now -- and the other a helicopter pilot (can't remember the name of his).

I've lived at Quantico *and* Pensacola. Does that count as my Maryan connection?

Maryan wrote:
Other stats: is anyone else amazed by the number of converts and reverts   

Add us to the list. I am a revert, and dh was raised Southern Baptist and converted after we'd been married 9 years.

Momma to Grace, Sam, Ben, Maggie, Mary Cate, and Jamie
Back to Top View Wendy's Profile Search for other posts by Wendy

JenniferS
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2008 at 6:20pm | IP Logged Quote JenniferS

Ack!!! I was never allowed to be called Jenny. My mother hated that. To my family I am Jen, but to everyone else, I am Jennifer. Sorry...I am no good at the quote thing, so I won't even try it.
Back to Top View JenniferS's Profile Search for other posts by JenniferS

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 05 2008 at 6:31pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I just had to go back and make some comments on some older posts. This is diverse, but I feel a little chatty right now:

Tonya wrote:
4. I spent the first 22 years of my life in beautiful Colorado and unfortunately have not been able to live there since (I currently live in Pittsburgh)

Tonya, Welcome to the boards! I wonder if you know some of my friends in Pittsburgh. Do you follow the Pittsburgh sports teams or still a CO fan?

=================

Erin wrote:
4: I have 100 boxes of books sitting in a shipping container on my property which I have just spent the last two weeks sorting and labeling. (There is a reason)

I missed this the first time around. I'm way too impressed that you got it all organized. Now what are the size of these boxes? I'm wondering if you beat me in quantity. I have a feeling you do...

====================

Amyable wrote:
2. I'm NOT a risk taker! I almost passed out reading about jumping out of planes up there   Or maybe that's my fear of heights. That being said, I do things most of my family and former friends couldn't dream of doing (and I'm sure you all understand this) - homeschool, cook for 5 kids with different food allergies, homeschool, have plastic surgery on my face w/o being put under , have five kids PERIOD (the surgeon joked that I had 5 kids and homeschooled them, surgery while awake was nothing ), homeschool...

I'm with you, Amy. To all of you daredevils, more power to you, but don't call me if you want company! My idea of excitement is a movie and glass of wine and chocolate dessert.

==================

Maryan wrote:
Other stats: is anyone else amazed by the number of converts and reverts   

I was going to comment on the exact thing. Just this thread alone is a powerful witness to God's grace and people cooperating with it. I often wonder if I have never been in that situation because I wouldn't have been able to convert/revert. I'm just blown away (in a good way) when I see people coming the Faith, either as a convert or revert.

================

mommiepappa wrote:
JennGM wrote:

Okay, I'll share this. I had never heard the term and when my sister was moving to Nebraska and used "landlocked" I thought it meant there were no lakes or rivers in the area. I was clueless.

I have been ridiculed for that ignorant comment.

This is funny! Well, you were close. The ocean is days away. Both my husband and I are east coaster's so we have had a lot of adjusting. Not to mention that dh was in the Navy too so no ocean means a little moodiness.
Kathee

Kathryn UK wrote:
5. I also long to live near the sea, and we are planning to make that a reality when my dh retires. As it is, we are in just about the most landlocked area of the UK. It is a whole 2 hour drive to the coast

Now my definition of landlock is more than a 6 hour drive to the ocean. 2 hours is a piece of cake!

==============

Kathryn UK wrote:

1. I am English, and live just three miles from the village where my dad's family have lived since at least the 16th century. My dad was an only child, so I now only have distant cousins there - nobody I keep in touch with at all.

Carole N. wrote:
1. My dh and my family recently relocated from the Heartland of the United States to Wales (yes, it is part of the United Kingdom).

2. I have a degree in English Literature, so I have always had a secret desire to live in England. We are right next door, not to far from Kathryn. It is absolutely lovely here! The beach is a 10 minute walk from our home.

I have a soft spot for the members in other countries (Australia, Germany, England...). And I love that I met Carole and now she is in Wales. I am dying to know have you been to Hay-on-Wye, the town of books yet?

I love hearing about how different it is where you are. I've had some of the best connections and conversations with those that are the farthest away. While I love to travel, it is hard to do. And I don't think I'll be doing Europe anytime soon, although I've been plugging a Rome trip when the boys are older.

=============

PDyer wrote:
Carole N. wrote:
And Jenn, I would love to have a conversation with you, but the one opportunity that I had I was so nervous! I walked away feeling like a fool thinking of all the things that I should have said!

I'm not the only one!   

I had the same feelings! Especially since Carole came from such a long way, and I was coming up short! My best conversations happen in my head AFTER the party. It was a tough day for me physically -- I had just started insulin for my gestational diabetes, but the stress of the day and getting adjusted to the new diet and meds just drained me. I just didn't have any more brain power after my speech!

==========

I've also enjoyed seeing the vices listed. My vices are Diet Coke, wine, dark chocolate, and cinnamon rolls or coffee cake. Not all in one day, of course. But DC is pretty stable commodity here. I know it's evil, but it's just for the taste of it.

Lara Sauer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2008 at 7:03pm | IP Logged Quote Lara Sauer

This thread is too fun not to join in. I read it all last night and swore that would be it...but...I guess I am a glutton for punishment.

1.) I am the youngest of 10 children and the mother of 7, so when people ask me why I have "so" many children, I always say that I am "low rank" on the totem pole of life and if my mom had to give one back, I would be the first to go! Thank you, Mom and Dad, for going that extra mile!

2.) I have lived in Virginia now for 15 years, but when I use the term "home" I still mean Wisconsin! This confuses my children to no end! I love all things Wisconsin-ese, from beer to cheese, from bratwurst to the Packers (Brett Favre, we will miss you!) I still think you can't get good food anywhere in Virginia, and my husband and I desperately miss Friday night fish fries! I also miss all of the lakes in Wisconsin and dream of buying a small cottage up "nort' der, hey" and spending my summers whiling away the hours on my deck overlooking the water! (...most likely being eaten alive by enormous mosquitos because I forgot my OFF! Alas, there is no real paradise on earth, is there!!)

3.) When I was in 6th grade, I was cut from my grade school basketball team. This may have had something to do with the fact that I was probably all of 4'6" tall at the time. (Not being able to do a lay up might have been counted against me as well!) Happily God granted me a few more inches, and I managed to squeak past 5 feet by the skin of my teeth. I am 5'1/2", but I am told that I carry myself "much taller" and could easily pass for 5'2"! (Oh if only the big hair of the "80's would come back!) Needless to say, I moved from a life of sports to a life of cheerleading and pom pon! I might not be able to shoot a ball, but boy can I yell and dance!

4.) I speak French and absolutely adore Paris. Actually I really just love travelling and sometimes think that the only reason that I homeschool is so that I have money to go to Europe! So far we have been blessed to make the trek over the ocean 3 times, and as I told a dear friend who was recently living in Belgium, and whom we had the good fortune of visiting last March before their return stateside: I couldn't be bothered to drive and visit her when she lived only 45 minutes away, but I was willing to fly 1/2 my family across the ocean to see her! My kids know that when they ask me if they can have a new toy or game, I will ask them, "Is it worth a trip to Europe?"

5.) My name is actually not Lara Sauer. Lara Sauer is sort of my maiden name but with my initials reversed. My maiden name is Sara Lauer. Sara without an "h" thank you. As my mom always said, we were too poor for extra consonants! (Actually she never said that, and she hates it when I say that she did, but I think it makes for a great story!) However, now my married name is Beatty and last year I had the GREATEST revelation known to mankind. My last name rhymes with my generation, so last year, my husband (from whom I was given this wonderful treasure) and I hosted what will hopefully be a yearly tradtion: "The Back to the Eighties at the Beattys" Party!! We all dressed up in '80s attire, including big hair and lots of black eyeliner. Admission was a picture of yourself from the '80! (The only scary part was from the friends who brought pictures of themselves as toddlers! YIKES!) The next one is in May! Bring on Depeche Mode!

Well, that's me in a "nutshell!" If you read this far, you are a nut!

(Did someone mention verbosity in a former post???)

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2008 at 7:06pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

JennGM wrote:
Paula! Do you happen to have any melancholic in your temperament? One of my sisters used to call me and say "I'm just a thread killer!"

Well, yes, actually, I do believe I do!!

And I have a question for YOU! Are you related to the Von Trapp family, or just a huge fan?

<< Prev Page of 16 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version