Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: I'm Maryan and you are? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 05 2008 at 10:43am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

I am NOT learning to play guitar with one hand. Even in a deserted forest.

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2008 at 10:56am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

kc in tx wrote:
] The closest I can get to Maryan is that we were once stationed at Quantico for a school and we lived in Northern Virginia for a year.

We live very close to Quantico's base... but the entrance gate is far away. But the base itself is so close that when the marines are doing exercises, it sounds like a thunderstorm. My boys come running in... and I have to point out that it's a sunny day, it's not thunder, just the marines.

Also -- dh has two brothers in the Marines that went through Quantico as well then they went to Pensicolo to become a C130 pilot - reservist now -- and the other a helicopter pilot (can't remember the name of his).

Jenn - I love to gab with you. Anytime.

Patty and Kacky - truly I'm only 5'8"!! But I do wear heels. After being very short until 8th grade, I'm delighted to be TALL. And... I swear my dh married me for my height and wingspan. He could see future basketball players in my genes.

AnneMcD -- tell Jon how much I REALLY enjoyed my first year teaching with his class... even though it may not have seemed it at times! I think I could name each one of those 36 students in that class... which was 16 years ago???

And I wouldn't have guessed after meeting happymama three years ago at a family wedding that we would have another connection!! And.. this cracked me up. I knew that your brother and wife (who live across the street from me) just had a baby... through you from who we live far away! He chuckled.

And...JennGM pointed out that there were several Jennifer S's. I think they should start their own thread to make sure we don't confuse them!!

Other stats: is anyone else amazed by the number of converts and reverts    ... and blind date marriages!?!?! Especially Mare's. That's really neat.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2008 at 11:01am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

cactus mouse wrote:
In highschool I was "totally" into New Wave -- my hair was different colors (and different lengths), and I dressed really weird (not gothy-black....more really, really bright...remember all the neon clothes they had in the '80s?

Yep. And did you wear several different colored neon socks too?

guitarnan wrote:
I am NOT learning to play guitar with one hand. Even in a deserted forest.

Come on... we'd be really impressed!!

asplendidtime
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2008 at 11:27am | IP Logged Quote asplendidtime

Rebecca wrote:
This is a fun thread!

Here's mine:

1. I can tie a shoe with one hand.

COME ON!!!!! How do you do that? Seriously I would love to learn how to do that, did you practice until you just got it, or do you have magic fingers!!! That is one thing I need to master, maybe I could tie two kiddies shoes at once! You know one with each hand?   

Mary 14,
Tim 13,
Jonah 12,
Josh 10,
Zoe 9,
Will 7,
Peter 6,
Laura-Mae 4,
Emily-Joy 2,
Genevieve & Gabriella 1
Back to Top View asplendidtime's Profile Search for other posts by asplendidtime Visit asplendidtime's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2008 at 11:29am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Another convert here! I was 21, so, um...almost 12 years ago!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

asplendidtime
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2008 at 11:31am | IP Logged Quote asplendidtime

Mare wrote:
I do not know Maryan but after reading through this, I feel like I do.

3)My joys - adoration, laughing, weekend getaways with my husband, laughing, read alouds with my girls, laughing, a cup of Earl Grey on a rainy November day, walks on the beach in the winter, laughing, reading Brit. lit., Jane Austen, genealogy and .

Mare,
Have you read The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austenby Syrie James? I just started reading it(on Chapter 4), and am enjoying it, but wondered what another Austen devotee would think?

Mary 14,
Tim 13,
Jonah 12,
Josh 10,
Zoe 9,
Will 7,
Peter 6,
Laura-Mae 4,
Emily-Joy 2,
Genevieve & Gabriella 1
Back to Top View asplendidtime's Profile Search for other posts by asplendidtime Visit asplendidtime's Homepage

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2008 at 11:56am | IP Logged Quote PDyer

8smallones wrote:
Have you read The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austenby Syrie James? I just started reading it(on Chapter 4), and am enjoying it, but wondered what another Austen devotee would think?   

Putting this on my library list...I watched Pride and Prejudice on TV one sleepless night recently, and fell in LOVE with Jane Austen. I bought as many books as I could find at Borders and they are sitting on my dresser, waiting for my attention. What else should I add to my pile?

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

JenniferS
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2008 at 12:32pm | IP Logged Quote JenniferS

One year, when I was in elementary school, there were three Jennifer's in my class. We all spelled Jennifer differently, but our teacher didn't. I thought it was pretty awful back then.

I amloving this thread, but I feel so boring compared to everyone else.

Jen
Back to Top View JenniferS's Profile Search for other posts by JenniferS

Jenn Sal
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2008 at 1:15pm | IP Logged Quote Jenn Sal

Okay JenniferS...I'm JennSal. When I see JenniferS, I stop and think it's me!

Now to all Jennifer's:
There was always another Jennifer in my class. Then I had to deal with my name being shortened....a reason why I give all my children names that can't be shortened. I had a teacher who asked me what I wanted to be called. I said, "Jennifer or Jenn". She decided to call me Jenny, which I DO NOT LIKE!

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 05 2008 at 1:20pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

PDyer wrote:
8smallones wrote:

Putting this on my library list...I watched Pride and Prejudice on TV one sleepless night recently, and fell in LOVE with Jane Austen. I bought as many books as I could find at Borders and they are sitting on my dresser, waiting for my attention. What else should I add to my pile?

hi from another jane austen fan here. i must say after reading all of them -- persuasion is my favorite. but the movies -- it would be P&P.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2008 at 1:36pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

Wendy, my skiing improved after going twice a week every winter for 5 years, BUT I would NEVER, NOT FOR A MILLION DOLLARS sit on the edge of the Grand Canyon! I get vertigo at the mall when I look down from the second level!

Paula, is there any way you could post the picture of your dad and Cary? That is SO cool!!! I LOVE the old actors, since those are my fave movies. I was just raving about Bill Holden the other night, and my OLDER sisters gave me such a hard time! My dad (and the rest of his division) was entertained by Danny Kaye when he was in the Philippines. That was how they all found out that the war in Europe had ended!

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2008 at 1:39pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

stefoodie wrote:
hi from another jane austen fan here. i must say after reading all of them -- persuasion is my favorite. but the movies -- it would be P&P.

It's funny in high school I fell in love with Jane -- especially P&P. It is by far my most read book. But now as an adult, I'm growing fonder of Persuasion!

PBS has been doing her these days on Sundays and Thursday's masterpiece theater. Some of them I love... and some of them I don't. They did the A&E verion of P&P which is my favorite. I *think* they're doing S&S now... but I missed the first half at least. Maybe even part II.

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2008 at 1:44pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Rebecca wrote:
1. I can tie a shoe with one hand.

I learned to do this is Girl Scouts when we used to take knot tying tests! It just took lots of practice on a perfectly still shoe. Is it possible to do it on a squirmy 2 yo?

At Girl Scouts I also learned to tie square knots in licorice with my tongue and teeth and to splice rope (using my hands and a knife). What an amazing program that was....

CAgirl4God
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 05 2008 at 2:22pm | IP Logged Quote CAgirl4God

you guys all sound like you have had so much fun in life! lol

crazy things I have done:

joined the Coast Guard...

climbed up the side on a tanker in 5 foot swell on a Jacob's ladder

Jumped off a cliff into the ocean

I have skiied, though not often... once I skiied into those orange plastic fences and got all tangled up. my dh (then bf) just stood there and laughed... lol

hiked in a rainforest

jumped out of a helicopter... only once and decided I did NOT like it! lol

I toughed a sting ray in the wild... with my foot! scared me half to death! lol.

not to out there, just some adventures

I love to collect beach glass too. I just found a beach here that has tons of it, in ribbons on the sand. another beach we frequent has larger pieces about 6 feet from the water line. my dd and I dive for it, wearing our snorkle masks.

I also just got into snorkling! it is ssssoooo much fun. we have seen some really cool fish and an white eel with brown markings.

Cary Grant! too cool!

and I like Loreta Lynn too.
Back to Top View CAgirl4God's Profile Search for other posts by CAgirl4God

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 05 2008 at 2:50pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

JennGM wrote:
1) There are quite a few Jennifers, just in this thread alone.

JenniferS wrote:
We all spelled Jennifer differently,

I do believe we have our fair share of Marys also - but I guess that would be expected on a Catholic list. And the thing is we have fewer variations in spelling and nick names to distuinguish ourselves. Out come the middle names.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2008 at 3:00pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Rachel May wrote:
At Girl Scouts I also learned to tie square knots in licorice with my tongue and teeth and to splice rope (using my hands and a knife). What an amazing program that was....

I knew you were amazing, but I thought it was for different reasons. Now I know the REAL reasons.

And LOL MaryM... you're right! But for some reason the number of Jennifers seems more remarkble!!

ETA: And I will never jump out of a moving vehicle.. and especially one in the air!!

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2008 at 3:08pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

Okay--I have been reading but not replied yet...everyone is just so darn interesting that by the time I finished reading, my time on the computer was up!
Here's some tidbits about me:

--We spent three years as full-time foreign missionaries living in St. Vincent and the Grenadines and Costa Rica. We still travel on short term mission trips and are hoping to get to China one day in the near future.

--I was a high school English teacher before my oldest was born.

--I met my dh at an All Saint's Day Eve party my young adult prayer group was hosting for young families. I was dressed like St. Elizabeth of Hungary and when I spied him, I told my best friend, "I'm gonna go talk to that guy and see if he's in the seminary. If not, I'm gonna marry him." A year and half later, I did, and she was our maid of honor.

--We flew to England for vacation on September 11, 2001, arriving at Gatwick airport with our three year old and five month old just in time to watch the first tower collapse. We watched the queen enter St. Paul's cathedral for the memorial.

--I write with my left hand on paper, but can eat, throw, kick, bat and write on the chalkboard with both.

There you have it. I think you ladies are so much fun!

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2008 at 3:16pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

missionfamily wrote:
I write with my left hand on paper, but can eat, throw, kick, bat and write on the chalkboard with both.

Okay Colleen... all the other things were amazing, but these talents seal it: you can join the SAHM circus.   

ETA: all our jumping out of flying things girls will be our opening act, Rebecca and Rachel can do their tricks, and then you'll be next. Who should close for us?

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2008 at 3:20pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

And I just found SuzanneG's post!! I was wondering where my West coast pink world friend was!!

I'm still amazed that we have the same birth years for ALL of our kids... just in opposite genders. AND we drive the same car. But I'm not blond and I'm pretty tall.

tracym
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 05 2008 at 3:57pm | IP Logged Quote tracym

Hi. It was so interesting to read about everyone.

Here is my 5 things:

1)My dh and I will be married 15 years this June(together for 20). We have 4 great kids-ds11, dd8, ds 6, and ds3.

2) We took a 6 week honeymoon around the country and into Canada that was unforgettable. We would love to travel like that again with our kids someday.

3) We both went to VA Tech(although we met right before going there). Love Hokies Football!

4)I am just learning how to cook foods from scratch(bean and pasta soup, chicken tettrazini, etc.) and am loving this!

5)I am starting to use my treadmill 5 days a week and am up to doing 2 miles now. I used to run when I was a kid(oh so long ago! and am enjoying this new program of exercise for me.)

This was fun!

<< Prev Page of 16 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version