Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Look what I just saw in my yard! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 31 2005 at 10:04am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Sarah wrote:
We saw some small falcon-type bird tormenting two blue jays-chaing them from tree to tree. I'm not really sure what it was-a peregrine falcon? And. . .I don't know why he'd (or she if it was a peregrine) would be chasing a blue jay(s).

Cool. We saw a red-tailed hawk perched on our neighbor's roof. As we were driving by, the kids spotted it, started yelling and I did the ole rubber-neck and turn the van around like a crazy mother/birder just to see it. I don't want to know what the neighbors think!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Dec 31 2005 at 11:23am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Driving and birding don't mix, angie . Please, designate a driver.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

soodow
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 03 2006 at 10:36am | IP Logged Quote soodow

I think I saw what was a WOLF! It ran across the road in front of me... not so close I had to brake, but close enough to get a good look1
I wish the kids were with me.
Sue in NH
Back to Top View soodow's Profile Search for other posts by soodow

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Feb 04 2006 at 11:40am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

soodow wrote:
I think I saw what was a WOLF! It ran across the road in front of me... not so close I had to brake, but close enough to get a good look1
I wish the kids were with me.
Sue in NH

That's cool, Sue..and I was just thinking about camping in NH this spring...

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

soodow
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 09 2006 at 2:39pm | IP Logged Quote soodow

Where in NH, Macbeth??
Last March I saw a Mountain Lion! Not everyone believes me BUT... I did a lot of research and if there was evidence of one in MA 10 years ago, why not NH in '05?
My husband surprised "something" this AM. As he went out to his vehicle... some animal ran off into the woods. Sounded big, but being behind the wood pile and a bit dark, he didn't see anything.
A few weeks ago, a moose was bedding down at the bottom of the neighbor's yard for a couple of days!
We've seen bear, also.
If that sounds exciting... your welcome to camp in our yard!
Sue

AnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 16 2006 at 6:49pm | IP Logged Quote AnaB

Look what we found down the street!   http://www.ejphoto.com/egyptian_goose_page.htm. It was so different looking! It has long red legs and webbed feet. It doesn't really waddle like the others. The pictures don't do the colors of this thing justice. It was very stunning. Now, I'm off to find some more info on it. Neato!

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Feb 19 2006 at 9:49am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

soodow wrote:
Where in NH, Macbeth??

If that sounds exciting... your welcome to camp in our yard!
Sue

We are not sure yet, Sue...dh mentioned it for the late summer, so we'll see. I was hoping for the spring, but, as usual, things spring up in our schedule, and we have no time!

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog

lilac hill
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 13 2006 at 9:12am | IP Logged Quote lilac hill

Weather is warming and the snowdrops have bloomed.
Last week there was not even hint of green, now they are flowering!
The brambles are in fine form    with reddening branches. In some areas of the woods it is like a reddish low lying mist.

Wife to Rick (7/83), Mom to dd#1(6/87), dd#2(1/90), and dd#3(6/94) in central PA.
Back to Top View lilac hill's Profile Search for other posts by lilac hill

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: March 13 2006 at 9:41am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

The squirrels ate all my snowdrops...

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 13 2006 at 11:11am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Speaking of squirrels, we finally got a glimpse of our rarely seen, yet most amusing, little red squirrel this morning. We haven't seen him all winter, and were fearing the worst, so it was nice to see him out there.

It has smelled strongly of skunk here the past few mornings, so I'm guessing they are up and about.

Our yard is mainly wet and brown, but we did find some crocus shoots this weekend!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: March 13 2006 at 11:19am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Dawn wrote:
Speaking of squirrels, we finally got a glimpse of our rarely seen, yet most amusing, little red squirrel this morning.
It has smelled strongly of skunk here the past few mornings, so I'm guessing they are up and about.

Ah...the two things I miss most about living in MA...red squirrels and skunks! OK. Maybe these are not the things I miss most, but I do miss them!

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog

lilac hill
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 13 2006 at 1:59pm | IP Logged Quote lilac hill

MacBeth wrote:
The squirrels ate all my snowdrops...

Thanks to fast dogs and plenty of cats, we rarely have squirrels in the yard, unless I plant tulips--those are worth the danger of the house and yard defenders.

Wife to Rick (7/83), Mom to dd#1(6/87), dd#2(1/90), and dd#3(6/94) in central PA.
Back to Top View lilac hill's Profile Search for other posts by lilac hill

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 14 2006 at 7:36am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

I think the slate-colored juncos are getting ready to leave. We just love these little birds! We always celebrate the October day when we see the first one under the feeders (about the same time our chipmunk goes missing!). We're going to try to take some photos today before they are gone till fall.

We've noticed an increase in their activity ~ feeding more and even coming up to the tube feeders (usually they eat on the ground). Yesterday we had a lot of rain and we saw juncos "bathing" in the puddles that formed along the side of the street!

We'll miss these beautiful "snow birds" ...

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 14 2006 at 8:32am | IP Logged Quote momwise

Dawn wrote:

We have a skunk! I haven't seen him yet but dh saw him waddling out under our temporary fence at dawn the other day. (We lost several sections of fence during a hurricane force windstorm last fall and the bunnies and other little critters seem most comfortable with the temp!)

Now we have got to get more familiar with our birds this spring. I'm off this week to pick up another shepherd's hook (they're half off at Hobby Lobby) to place the feeders a good ways away from the trees and fences, in hopes the birds will come more than the squirrels.

soodow
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 20 2006 at 10:00am | IP Logged Quote soodow

Exploring the woods last week we discovered ALOT of scat which we think is porcupine, in the base of an old hollow tree. It looks like someone dumped a 5gal bucket of it and it is just pouring out... some looks fresh... maybe we could have a stake out and see the critter?!
Sue in NH

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 20 2006 at 6:55pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

soodow wrote:
Exploring the woods last week we discovered ALOT of scat which we think is porcupine ...

Sue, if you don't mind my asking, how did you figure out what kind of animal made the scat? I ask because dh and boys recently found fresh scat in our woods and we don't know how to tell who made it. We've recently seen a red fox, a fisher, and the evidence of skunk and beaver ...

Is there some kind of field guide to "scat"? I'm not sure I'd find a *lot* of use for such a thing but it might come in handy for situations like these.

soodow wrote:
... maybe we could have a stake out and see the critter?!

Keep us posted!

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: March 20 2006 at 8:09pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Dawn wrote:
Is there some kind of field guide to "scat"? I'm not sure I'd find a *lot* of use for such a thing but it might come in handy for situations like these.

There is. I'll hunt it down and send the link when I find it. And there's also repliscat for quizzing the kids.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 21 2006 at 12:20pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Well, here in MA, spring is officially here ~ we have dandelions by the front steps!

Also, while eating lunch, the boys and I spied a new bird at our feeders (for us anyway) ~ a Red-bellied Woodpecker! He was too quick for a photo, but we found him in our bird guide ...

Sorry to be a serial poster in this thread, I guess spring fever has hit us hard, and we just can't keep our eyes off the backyard!

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 21 2006 at 8:17pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Dawn wrote:

I like "Tracking and the Art of Seeing" by Paul Rezendez for scat and tracks and other signs.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 22 2006 at 3:53am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

lapazfarm wrote:
I like "Tracking and the Art of Seeing" by Paul Rezendez for scat and tracks and other signs.

Thanks for the suggestion, Theresa. I just checked it out at Amazon and it looks like a great resource. I like that it has very clear photographed examples of tracks and scat, as well as habitat signs to look for like nests, and nuts and seeds eaten in a particular way.

I pulled out my Acorn Naturalists catalog yesterday and found they have a Scat Scarf - which sounds bizarre - but is basically a bandana printed with information about,and pictures of, animal scat. I would think it would be light and easy to carry out into the field (not to mention an interesting conversation piece).

<< Prev Page of 17 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version